Arts + Crafts

Feathered Collages

May 29, 2015

Hello everyone! Please forgive me for disappearing from the blog but I’ve been tremendously busy between work and family, and wow, it’s all so exciting… Where do I begin?!? I’m currently scheduling locations for book #4 and planning book #5, I’m planning several trips for this Fall, including one that I’ve been wanting to visit for ages for a family vacation… I can’t wait to tell you where later. I also just launched the all new Blogging Your Way website and I’ve been working with my teachers to prep materials for the next e-course which begins on Monday (eep!). I’m putting finishing touches on the all-new decor8 blog to launch this weekend so when you come back here over the weekend you may see a construction page – just stay tuned, the shiny new site will be up by Sunday evening. I’ve been having fun making and photographing things for the next book and I’ve already begun writing it too.

Feathered Collages

Of course, I can’t not mention my little sweet son! Caring for him, who is home with me 24/7, has been a very fun and slightly chaotic reality of working at home and trying to keep him away from daycare for as long as I can because I just want to enjoy all of these firsts with him. But wow, it’s challenging! He is such a great little one, he’s a dream baby and why I have a dream baby I’ll never know because I’m so far from perfect. He sleeps full nights (10 hrs+) since he was 3 months old, was crawling by 6 months, walking at 10 months and now at nearly 16 months he is repeating words, understands German and English, and has begun climbing up the stairs at the park to go down the slide! He is a lovely dynamo – a force, he’s seriously such a cool kid and I love balancing work/life so far though OMG there is never a moment when I can say I’m resting – my day begins at 6am and doesn’t end until midnight since I work 2-3 hours during the day while he naps and I work at night from 7-midnight.

It’s not easy but nothing worthwhile ever is and at the end of the day, I decided to take all of this on and can certainly do less with my business, or get a nanny, or whatever… But I like the busy days right now. It’s definitely intense at times, but I only have one child – when I feel overwhelmed I think of some of these amazing wonder women I follow on Instagram with 5 kids and I feel like I have nothing to whine about.

Feathered Collages

Today I want to share a few inspiring things I discovered recently, the first is this brilliant art by sisters Clare and Joy from Mondocherry in Australia. They started doing feather collages and I love them, really, really nice. I also have more feathered stuff to share in a moment, and more art, so I think we can say today that is what I’m finding inspirational. Clare and Joy spend hours researching, painting and making dozens of feathers for each of their one-of-a-kind creations. The cool part is that they live thousands of miles apart yet collaborate so well that you can’t tell who did which parts of the work. That’s really how you know two people are compatible working partners, isn’t it?

Feathered Collages

Feathered Collages

Feathered Collages

Feathered Collages

Feathered Collages

Isn’t this work just stunning? Learn more on their website here:

Back soon with another post or two before the weekend… xo

(images: styling richard hall & son, photography martina gemmola)

20 Comments

• Reply Nessa Robinson May 29, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Wow, I just love these! Would be a very cool DIY project with my daughter for her room. Your work/life balance sounds exhausting – I don’t know how you do it!

• Reply Majean May 29, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Ok so this is the first blog post of yours I’ve read and I love it! The colour, the designs but most of all your enthusiasm and passion for it all! Love the feathers! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Marie Paley May 29, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Very beautiful and inspirational.

• Reply Niki May 29, 2015 at 5:45 pm

The mix of colors and textures are perfect! I love how it is styled in the shot as well, nice find!

• Reply Maria May 29, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Oh Holly! I am really happy for your rebrand. You are really a source of inspiration to me… I found you while googling foreigner in Germany, or something alone these lines. I remember I landed on an expat blog you had where you shared experiences in Germany. I Later discovered Decor8 and without you knowing it, I have learned a lot from this community. I am really grateful ! Keep going!

• Reply Lauren Englehart May 29, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I love this idea!

My boyfriend and I just bought our first house and this would be such a cute wall art idea for the bedroom!

• Reply Leanne May 29, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I need to create something like this NOW!! Haha I just love it so much and bet it would be a great project to do! Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Reply Lydia May 29, 2015 at 11:20 pm

These feather collages are amazing they look so simple but stylish, I’m definitely recreating this ♡

• Reply Gemma Louise May 29, 2015 at 11:28 pm

These pieces are absolutely amazing, I love them!

• Reply mel May 29, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Wow you have a lot on and I can’t wait to see the new look Decor8 Holly! Lovely feather collages and unique! Mel x

p.s. So looking forward to the BYW class on Monday too.

• Reply Clare May 30, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Holly, thank you so much for featuring our new artwork collection, “birds of a feather”. We were absolutely thrilled to wake up this morning and see our work on your gorgeous blog (which we have been following since 2007) and have been pinching ourselves with excitement all day!
    Clare and Joy xx

• Reply Barbara Cortili June 1, 2015 at 2:12 am

Such an interesting creative technique! Clare and Joy are a fabulous team! I am looking forward discovering more about their fabulous Art!

• Reply Winnie Helmes-Ham June 2, 2015 at 9:08 am

Soooo inspiring! I think you listened to your heart by changing your new blog Holly, love it!!

• Reply Sarah June 3, 2015 at 10:45 am

Stunning artworks, so original, I’ll definetly be checking out more of Clare and Joy’s work for a future decorating project.

Sarah x

• Reply Sophia June 4, 2015 at 10:18 pm

This is such a pretty artwork!!! It looks really nice :) xo Sophia
    littlesewingmachine.blogspot.de

• Reply Claudia June 20, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Dear Holly, what a wonderful idea. Looks great….

best wishes Claudia

• Reply Louise June 26, 2015 at 9:55 am

I love this post and the photography is stunning. I want to be creative now and get the paints out! Thanks for sharing ;-)

• Reply Lizzie Atherton July 15, 2015 at 3:37 pm

This is the first of your blogs posts that I’ve read too! The colour on these feathers are beautiful. How do they collaborate living in different places? Perhaps one paints and the other cuts the lovely feathers?…I’m going to find out more! Thanks so much, Lizzie. Pioden Prints.

• Reply Karly September 15, 2015 at 12:44 pm

This is the first blog of yours I have read and I love it! The art work of those sisters is amazing! And your enthusiasm makes it really interesting to read! Nice to hear that you find it just as chaotic working from home with your son! I do the same with my 2 daughters! I’m definitely researching these artists!
    x

• Reply Chanda February 17, 2016 at 12:54 am

Where do I purchase the feathered pictures ?