Inspiration

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

July 8, 2015

If you want to take better photos of yourself or of others, then you need to know your camera but also your poses and angles. Every great photographer has signature poses that they use again and again that work beautifully for their clients. They often create a certain signature to their look this way. Interior photographers also have similar angles and ways they work with objects as they shoot to give their work a certain mood and when not with a stylist, many photographers style their own interiors “posing” objects in ways that look the best through their lens.

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

With a small son, I’m always taking photos of him but recently noticed that I’ve been taking less and less and I wondered why… Then it dawned on me that I’m bored with my angles and poses – and also that he simply cannot be posed at his age so I have to rely more on creativity and on trying new things. If you have children or even shoot for your job, photograph products for your online shop, or are looking for new approaches for your Instagram feed it’s a great idea tostart a Pinterest board where you pin poses that you like (if you are interested in taking better photos of others or yourself). For objects, products, etc. you can start a board that is only for pinning rooms and things. Look for photos that have a certain mood that you’re going for, were shot at angles you like, or pictures that have something else special about them that you’d like to experiment with for your own work. Perhaps it’s the focal length or lighting. As you pin, certain patterns will emerge that you’ll pick up on after about 15-20 pins.

I started looking at my “poses” pin board earlier today and instantly thought of new ideas for photographing my son and also for some scenes I’ll be shooting for my 4th book which is underway.

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

Pose Ideas For Portrait Photography

It’s a good idea to use Pinterest to make you a more creative person instead of just aimlessly pinning and dreaming about the perfect life that often Pinterest seems to give the impression of — that everyone is skinny, lives in a gorgeous home and eats beautiful food. Use Pinterest for something positive – to jump start your creativity, to improve a skill, to inspire you to do something for yourself that makes you happy, and further develop your photography skills, don’t you agree?

Photography: Design Love Fest, Golden Swank, Jeanie Micheel, Kinfolk, Jody McKitrick, Handmade Charlotte, Alexandra Grablewski, Kirsten Rickert, Niki Gutierrez, Vogue.

11 Comments

• Reply Gabriela July 8, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Very useful article! Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

• Reply sharon July 9, 2015 at 12:26 am

oh geez, and aren’t flowers often ‘the secret’ to something looking good!! gotta love mother nature. also, love the hair by the “be lovely” art.

• Reply Jess July 9, 2015 at 12:52 am

Love this post! So happy you were able to feel inspired by some of my photos. It’s truly humbling. :) xoxo

• Reply Arena Violeta July 9, 2015 at 1:21 am

Hi Holly,
    I love your collection of poses here so different form the conventional poses, yet they draw attention and interest. Good point about Pinterest, it can be such great source for inspiration, but is easy to lose focus of reality when in there. Yet for sure Pinterest can also be a great tool for creative projects. I suppose it is like using other social media, it is all about what we make out of it.
    Great post!

• Reply Amber Rhodes July 9, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Great ideas here. I am always working on my photography skills, even though I take photos for a magazine for a living, my learning never stops .
    sweetwordsprettypictures.com

• Reply Sarah July 9, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Yes! I completely agree. I’ve actually been neglecting Pinterest for quite a while, largely due to lack of time and investing most of my time on Instagram. But I definitely want to get back into using it for inspiration, and your idea to use it to improve photography skills is a good one.

• Reply Jeanine July 9, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I am in absolute agreement re how to spend your Pinterest time well! ;) Its assisted me in finding creative spark inside that I didnt know was there. It still inspires me. These photos though, wow. Now theyre inspiring too. They’re Perfectly Amazing! Fantastic job. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Arena Violeta July 10, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Hi Holly,
    Nice collection of inspirational portraits, I like that they are not conventional and yet they grab your attention. So true about Pinterest, while it can be a great source for inspiration it is so easy to get lost in there. And yes, it can be a great tool for sure, I guess like any other social media is all about what you make out of it right?
    Best

• Reply Wrenaissance Art July 11, 2015 at 2:03 pm

I quite like the reading portrait! And the photo of the little toddler hugging mom’s leg is precious. :-)
    Pinterest, like other social media, is all about making it useful for yourself & your own needs, isn’t it? If you’re not actually cooking those delicious-looking recipe pins, but you *are* trying out new photo poses, why not have your Pinterest boards reflect that?

• Reply Muyserin July 15, 2015 at 6:24 am

It never occurred to me to keep a “poses board” as I am not exactly a photography buff, but since I am a mother of a baby and a toddler, I do take pictures all the time. So after reading your article I felt inspired to create one myself, and that gorgeous collage with the turquoise ring is the first one to go up there. Thank you for the inspiration!

• Reply Pink Camellias July 21, 2015 at 4:26 am

The main things for getting good photos of children are this:
    get down on their level, even if you have to lay on your belly
    know kid jokes that make them laugh, so that you get natural expressions
    know when to press the button! Wait for the moment.

Not much else to do!