Arts + Crafts

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

July 12, 2015

I love art that isn’t generic, you know like those typical framed prints everyone buys from big box stores, I find them boring. Before you call me a snob, I confess that I used to have them all over my apartment when I was living alone because back then, Etsy didn’t exist and it was really hard to find nice prints of original works from artists that were affordable or even easy to find. And hey, NO JUDGEMENT if you still buy art at big home stores – to each his own. Though as your trusty decorating friends, I want to give you a little push to check into buying more art prints because they are everywhere online these days and they are really, really good!

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

We’ve come a long way with art these days because you can find beautiful work nearly everywhere online and shop direct from artists or a middleman who sells their work. This provides endless opportunities for decorating enthusiasts. Not only can you get affordable work (prints are wayyyy less expensive than original works so I have lots of prints personally), but often stuff that no one else has and if you are supporting an artist so they can continue doing what they love.

I found recently the new “Looking closer” collection of 6 watercolor art prints made by hand by Copenhagen-based designer and artist, Silke Bonde, and fell in love. They range in size between 70 x 50 cm and 100 x 70 cm and retail between 89-98€, so like I said, affordable. About the collection Silke says, “The use of blue and green tones characterizes the northern nature and it’s color palette. The collection is made with watercolors to match the organic shapes which you will find in the nature. It is a minimalistic collection with a mix of straight lines and organic shapes.”

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Watercolor Art Prints From Copenhagen

Lucky for us all, she ships worldwide so you can buy anything that you see directly from her web shop.

(Photos and styling by the German-based Studio Oink.

14 Comments

• Reply Annamaria July 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm

So minimal but so amazing!

• Reply FrauSchmitt July 12, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Wow, this truly is great art, which would perfectly fit in here.
    Thank you so much for sharing. Will hop over to her etsy store right away.

• Reply Sondra Borrie July 12, 2015 at 8:01 pm

So lovely + peaceful. Very inspiring.

• Reply Hannah July 12, 2015 at 10:58 pm

I love these – so simple yet original. Would go great in my new Scandi-inspired dining room! x

• Reply Leanne July 13, 2015 at 6:42 am

Love the abstract nature of the last two pieces of art. Thanks for showcasing Silke’s work, there’s something very peaceful about them.

• Reply fantas-tisch July 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm

These paintings are amazing.
    I like all of them. <3

…also the styling around!

Thank you for sharing, dear Holly!

• Reply Wrenaissance Art July 14, 2015 at 4:15 am

Lovely artwork–and the styled interiors really show it off!
    Giclee prints have become a popular way for artists to sell their work and for art buyers to pick up some interior decor at a reasonable price. You’ve mentioned in past posts your reluctance to invest in a large, big-ticket painting when you might want to change your decor in a couple of years.
    May I suggest another way to buy actual original art at a reasonable price?
    Limited-edition fine art prints–lithographs, woodcuts, etchings, silk screens–are original works of art that sell for a much lower price than oil or acrylic paintings. Like paintings, artist’s prints are original creations. Instead of manufactured CMYK colors, artist’s prints use custom-mixed inks for each layer of the image.Relief prints and etchings have a 3-dimension texture where the paper was pushed into the crevices of the plate. Unlike giclees, which are often produced as long as the artist’s collectors are interested in buying, limited-edition prints are usually made in editions of 100 or less.
    Northern Europe has a very strong tradition of artist-printmakers, but you can find local artists making prints just about everywhere!
    This isn’t to say anything against Silke Bonde’s work–it’s gorgeous!
    Just a suggestion for future art posts. :-)

• Reply Rosie July 15, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Totally agree with the other comments! Just had to pin the stunning map of the world! Definitely going to check out her shop! Thank you so much for sharing!
    We recently featured a marble project and anyone of these would work perfectly alongside it!
    designbylarose.com/a-very-marble-ous-diy/

• Reply Linda DaceyArtist July 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Normally a silent witness I thought I would crawl on out from the bushel and thankyou for championing support of artists direct. As you say there are many talented folks selling work at affordable prices and supporting these individuals, rather than buying generic art, is a win win situation. Great piece thanks.

• Reply Alysa July 16, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Those are really beautiful prints and it’s neat to hear you encouraging us to buy directly from artists. I think the first and second ones are my favorite. I’ll have to check out Silke Bonde’s shop! Can’t believe how beautifully each photo is styled too!

• Reply Rachel @ Coveted Home July 21, 2015 at 6:13 am

These are fantastic; I love the photo of the layered trio! These watercolors could be a fun DIY to try – although minimalist designs are often the most difficult to do well.

• Reply julie July 28, 2015 at 11:44 am

Wow! I feel calmer just from looking at this art. The world map would be perfect for my newborn’s nursery. I don’t know if I’m having a boy or a girl, & I just really love greys & whites anyway for babies. A really lovely post. Thanks!

• Reply Krislyn Dillard August 6, 2015 at 12:17 am

These paintings are lovely. My favorite is the chevron like lines. What is really great are these paintings would go well with almost any other art you wanted to put up because they are so minimalist. You can put them in a calm white room to emphasize the simplicity or in a bright busy room to add an interesting place for the eyes to rest.

• Reply www.mbfestudio.com March 8, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I love these paintings :)