Recipes

Recipe: Strawberry Cakes in Glasses

July 16, 2015

Hello everyone, it’s Liz here for my monthly recipe and this time, it’s all about Strawberry cakes with a slight twist – these are in a glass! If I had a wish, I’d want a strawberry field in my backyard. Or my front garden, I wouldn’t care actually. It should just BE there for the summer. After the season is over, it could disappear again. Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up and walk across your own strawberry field in your pyjamas, eating a ton of berries even before breakfast? In reality, I only have three plants in my greenhouse — it’s a start, I know, and I’ll keep on dreaming!

Recipe: Strawberry Cakes in Glasses

But for now, let’s use these beautiful red berries to create something delicious! The local strawberry season is slowly ending here in our part of Germany and the public picking fields are closing, which I noticed with sadness. So isn’t it time to celebrate this strawberry summer? Strangely enough, I never see strawberries baked INTO cakes in bakeries here. What you find are cakes topped with fresh fruit and held together with jelly or pudding, but how come they are never baked into the dough? I thought, why not give it a try, and so I made these strawberry cakes in little glasses. First I thought it probably wouldn’t work too well, but it turned out to be really delicious. The glasses would also make great desserts for a stand-up summer party. So try these cakes and enjoy.

Recipe: Strawberry Cakes in Glasses

Strawberry Cakes
(makes 6 little cakes in glasses)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
7 tablespoons of butter, softened (plus some more for glasses)
3/4 cups of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
1 egg
1/2 cups of milk
a handful of strawberries, hulled and cut into halves (or smaller)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter 6 little glasses. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In a second bowl mix the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zests and beat in the egg and the milk. Slowly mix in the flour. Place some strawberries on the bottom of the glasses and pour batter over them. Drop some more strawberries into the glasses and fill up with batter until 3/4 filled. Bake for approx. 35 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown.

Recipe: Strawberry Cakes in Glasses

Recipe: Strawberry Cakes in Glasses

Recipe: Strawberry Cakes in Glasses

Enjoy! See you next month with another recipe – Liz.

(photos, recipe, text: Liz – Lisa Nieschlag)

15 Comments

• Reply Candice@NotesFromABroad July 16, 2015 at 11:51 pm

I can’t wait to try this ! I am getting strawberries tomorrow and will look for glasses that are more like those you used. Mine will be too thin.
    Would Little jars work ?

• Reply Jane July 17, 2015 at 1:27 am

This is pretty much Martha Stewart’s Strawberry Cake from June 2005, just baked in a glass. I’ve been making it for 10 years and it’s delicious.

• Reply Carie July 17, 2015 at 5:57 am

oh they do look yummy! And while I don’t own a strawberry field, my aunt and uncle do – staying with them as a child and going over to the fields first thing in the morning was every bit as idyllic as you imagine it – which is probably why I grow a few now!!

• Reply Mia July 17, 2015 at 6:42 am

I love this idea! they look so dainty it would be lovely for a birthday party. I was wondering if I could know where you got those glasses from or if you know of something similar that is bake proof? I have no idea about these kinds of things.

I also love your pictures. I think your blog is very approachable. Much less intimidating than many other blogs I’ve seen recently. Excited to see more from you!

• Reply gabriella July 17, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Love these! What an adorable little dessert. Keeping these in mind the next time I have friends over.

g.

• Reply Sheri Brock July 17, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I really love ❤ strawberries!!!! I can get them here in Florida most of the time 😉!!! Thought these recipes sounded delicious 😋!!!

• Reply Laura July 17, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I love strawberries so much, I can’t get enough of them in the summer! These look so tasty xx

• Reply Sondra Borrie July 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Such lovely images. Will have to try this! Thanks.

• Reply Liz July 19, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Dear Candice, yes, I used little jars. They are similar to Mason Ball jars. In Germany they are called “Weck”.
    best, Liz

• Reply Liz July 19, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Dear Jane,
    thank you for this information! This is so interesting! I found this recipe in a handwritten family cookbook. I did some research now and it seems it must have been Martha Stewart’s recipe that was written down. Nevertheless, it’s delicious and works!
    Best, Liz

• Reply Liz July 19, 2015 at 11:27 pm

Dear Mia,
    I used jars in which jam or marmelade is stored. In Germany they are called “Weck” glasses. Mason Ball would be the equivalent. http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Jar-Crystal-Quilted-4-Ounce/dp/B00B80TK2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437340677&sr=8-1&keywords=jars
    And thank you so much for your very nice comment about our blog.
    Best, Liz

• Reply Carry Neighbours club July 22, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Ohhh. Love this.
    Thanks for this recipe!,

Evelyn, Crafty Neighbours Club

• Reply Helena July 25, 2015 at 8:18 pm

It looks delicious and sweet. I bet it has a taste that really celebrates summer. And it’s an easy recipe.

• Reply Katie August 5, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I love this – so simple to make, and they taste delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)