Trends

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

July 27, 2015

I’m loving the current tropical leaf trend, aren’t you? From clothing patterns (I have a pair of tropical print camouflage pants that I adore) to patterns for parties, the home and beyond, it’s such a fresh and inspiring take on greenery that veers a little away from the paired-back Kinfolk lifestyle which incorporates lots of houseplants to something more tropical and vacation-like. I love seeing leafy greens used as decoration in unique ways outside of the typical potted plants, too. And of course, you can bring this trend into your home outside of the obvious through leaf patterns, a single palm frond in a vase, leaves on the table, as wallpaper and more. A simple leaf can add so much life to your rooms and wardrobe.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas
(lovely leaf backdrop from Almost Makes Perfect)

I thought one helpful tip to share with you today would be to provide a leaf chart so you know the actual names of the most popular ones out there currently. Even if your local florist doesn’t stock them, you can intelligently name them and request they order some for you if they’re willing. You earn so much more respect from the pros when you’re armed with correct names! You also get what you want. Of course, you can also go to craft stores and find faux versions which can be almost as nice though I always prefer real over faux when it comes to plants and flowers. However, if can’t get real or real is too rare or expensive where you live, then opt for a little plastic fantastic. Since they’re not fragrant, no one may even notice. So… Would you like to see the chart?

This chart came from Justina’s blog from several months ago and I just love it. So helpful! I didn’t know that a Monstera leaf was really known more commonly as a split leaf philodendrom. Here’s a large view of a split leaf philodendrom below the chart so you can see what it looks like potted.Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

What a beauty, as seen on Pop Sugar.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

Love this palm frond party idea from Studio DIY photograph by Mary Costa.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

More great ways to bring the tropics into you home on walls, tabletops and in clear vases. 1. Dwell 2.Gardenista 3. Rosa Beltran Design 4. Studio DIY.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

Pair greenery up with salmon pink for an unexpected fresh burst of color. I love this photo by Paper n Stitch.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

As black and white art in a kitchen, from Fantastic Frank Berlin.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

Another idea is more common but still worth mentioning — put plants on the window ledge so they catch the light and add atmosphere – but also not just in pots, also a few fronds in a vase work beautifully too. Windowsills are so boring without a plant or some flowers don’t you agree? These images are from Fantastic Frank Berlin.

Trends: 8 Leaves To Love + Tropical Leaf Decor Ideas

A variety of leaves arranged on a fireplace mantle, what a great idea as seen at Anthropologie. I also like seeing plants loaded into a work area that is sparely decorated otherwise (photo from Hviit). Seeing what April & May did with leaves on the wall looks amazing too – just like wallpaper! And finally, look how edgy and glam tropical leaves can look when paired with jet black. Wow!

How are you using tropical leaves at home at the moment? Any tips or ideas to share?

Have a nice day everyone, hope your Monday is a great one!

20 Comments

• Reply Julia July 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

LOVE this trend and try to bring as much green into my home as possible!
    I used the leaves to make beautiful prints on paper and framed them afterwards.
    Best,
    Julia

• Reply Rochelle Greayer July 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I love this post! – I have been obsessed with trying to make something like this : http://alanajonesmann.com/2015/06/wallpaper-cakes-tropical-prints/ for weeks now. Surely not going to happen, but I just can’t get it out of my mind.

• Reply Holly Becker July 27, 2015 at 5:35 pm

@Rochelle – Oh I loved that one too, it was so original, never saw anything like it before.

• Reply Aidel.K July 27, 2015 at 3:31 pm

This is a fun post, and I’m a big plant lover–constantly adding to my collection. What really caught my eye, though, is that kitchen in the Fantastic Frank Berlin apartment. I tried clicking through to learn more. I love the stainless steel cabinet and sink especially. The light fixture with the yellow cord against the concrete is great, too. And under the counter—it looks like the beverage carts that get wheeled down the aisles on airplanes. That’s a terrific look, and it would also be handy.

• Reply Wrenaissance Art July 27, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I adore philodendron leaves–they remind me of Matisse cut-outs!

• Reply Sara July 28, 2015 at 8:21 am

Check out Stateside restaurant in Seattle! It’s decor is lovely and a lot like these.

• Reply Ally @ Dowsing & Reynolds July 28, 2015 at 10:57 am

We love this trend too! I wrote a post on Bringing The Outside In recently and we’ve got a Pinterest board full of gorgeous photos of leaves and plants inside. It’s a lovely calming trend I think…good for the soul.

Great post :)

Ally @ Dowsing & Reynolds x

• Reply Emily Stowe July 29, 2015 at 3:25 am

I agree! My question is though, do the clipped fronds in vases live very long? Is that a sustainable way to display them? I love the look, but wasn’t sure if they last, or if they are just like cut flowers. Anyone know?

• Reply me pica la etiqueta July 29, 2015 at 8:57 am

I love this post!! I adore this trend!! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

• Reply Elliot July 30, 2015 at 1:52 am

We’re all over the plant trend! Especially loving the photography of plants sold as wall prints – cool idea, I want one please!

• Reply Hale Mercantile July 30, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I like the idea of the a couple of split leaf philodendroms sitting in a jar beside my bed. Just hope I don’t accidentally knocked them over!

• Reply Emelie July 31, 2015 at 10:52 am

I’m so happy that plants are creating trend after trend when it comes to interior design! I think green plants makes us more calm. I’ve tried to create a little tropical corner at home http://flora-inspiro.blogspot.se/2015/05/urban-jungle-bloggers-my-plant-gang-krukvaxtganget.html. So far the cat hasn’t turned it into a playground…

• Reply Ideonline July 31, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Beautiful Blog. Love the imagery. I think I will share it on our FB page :)

• Reply Kristin at Interior Nature August 1, 2015 at 3:53 am

Thank you for writing about this trend! Since I moved from Boston to Florida two years ago, I have been in the thick of tropicals as an interior lifestyle. As my nature experiences have shifted from Boston parks to tropical scrublands, wild everglades, and beautiful ecologically complex keys, I have also watched how the tropicals in wallpapers and any other interior surface have trended on Pinterest and products. After two years, I would say that it still feels “vacation-like” no matter how many hours I work. The structures and forms are so different from other plants, and given how much of interior design in recent years has been about bold patterns (like chevrons!) and ways to be less bold and more soft with strong patterns, I would say the tropical trend is a logical step forward! I blog about bringing nature indoors on my blog.

• Reply Dina August 3, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I stopped by H & M yesterday and I noticed that they also had some wonderful palm-leaf-patterned blouses, dresses, and scarves!

• Reply Esther Bejar August 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

I adore this post!! It´s decor is lovely!! :)

• Reply manda collins August 4, 2015 at 11:58 am

Love this; although I have problems keeping plants alive!
    Cactus plants are good if you don’t have green fingers (like myself) but of course aren’t extremely leafy!
    You have just given me the encouragement to try again…..

• Reply Susanne August 15, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I like your Blog and and this article.Do you know stylegreen?? Real preserved plants for your wall … Have a look at http://www.stylegreen.de

• Reply Laura Bohn October 20, 2015 at 12:28 am

I do love to cut a few tropical leaves also and put them leaning to one side of the mantle or end table.
    I also have soothing palm paintings I have created and sold over the years before the trend. I think tropical leaves lends themselves to the exotic, travel, and to the warmth of sensual landscapes.

• Reply elena +deco December 11, 2015 at 8:10 am

The party table from Studio DIY is really nice, the touch of class is the perfect tone of pink of the cocktails in my book.
    I like the black and white art in the kitchen (from Fantastic Frank Berlin), it is a good way to introduce a theme discretely. There are some amazing tropical wallpapers and textiles out there. If you want yo look at some others, I wrote a post about it : http://egiavarini.blogspot.it/2014/09/a-trend-of-moment-tropical-leaves.html
    Thank you for the post!