Decorating Tips

Painting My Workspace Pink Ground!

August 5, 2015

So I had this idea before Aidan was born to paint my entryway pink. I ordered Pink Ground from Farrow & Ball and hired a painter. The second he swiped it on, I grew more skeptical with each stroke. I needed to be a believer and 100% on team pink before allowing him to go any further and I just wasn’t. It was definitely the wrong choice for the space and I realized that it was because the entry has no windows and the color looked quite muddy there and absorbed the little light I had instead of reflect it. I needed something bright, even a bit flashy and shiny to bring in the natural light from the surrounding rooms, so I went with an over-the-top gold pineapple wallpaper (post here) by Aimee Wilder instead and never looked back. I love it.

Painting My Workspace Pink Ground!

But I still have two massive buckets of Pink Ground paint and it’s been bugging me for months that it’s just sitting in storage. It’s too good to waste Farrow & Ball paint, it’s such a gorgeous brand and their colors are so bomb! That’s when I had this idea while redecorating my office that I’d paint one entire wall pink. The room needs something to bring in color but also fun. My work room is flooded in sunlight from sunrise to sunset, so it’s also the perfect room for pink – it won’t turn too muddy or orange as it would in a room without windows. With paint, it’s all about which direction you’re windows are facing and if you even have windows or natural light at all. Also a major consideration. I have to style my Muuto stacked shelving system, and I need to figure out the seating around the work table (this is not my dining room but my office), but so far, so good. Also have to hang art and buy some plants. But yes, this will be the future home of Pink Ground. At least on the wall shown, I’m keeping the rest of the room white.

When the paint goes up on August 11th, I will definitely photograph the space during for those of you who follow my Instagram feed (@decor8), and later, the after right here on my blog so you can see how it came out. I’ll also give you a full tour of the space then, too. Then I can link all of the furniture and goodies in it.

Pink Ground is very grown up – it’s pink borderline salmon so it definitely has a very Danish vibe to it and that’s what I like. It’s a muddy pink with orange in it, I guess that’s a good way to describe it. I feel like that tone will work nicely with the woods in this room and break up all of the white so the furniture against the wall stands out more. I also want the pendant to really pop out and not blend so much since it’s my most favorite pendant ever – it’s Swedish and it’s the Pia Lamp from Garsnas.

Painting My Workspace Pink Ground!

Have you ever gone pink in any of your rooms?

Stay tuned for after photos of my work space later this month. – Holly xo

(Photos: Holly Becker for decor8)

23 Comments

• Reply Jilly August 5, 2015 at 1:50 pm

I love this space! It’s so open and inviting, I think the pink will look fab! We have a very pink and floral living room, totally different style but our pink wallpaper is my favourite part. Jilly x

• Reply Bernadette August 5, 2015 at 2:20 pm

You described Pink Ground perfectly. I used it in a bedroom and love it! It’s one of my favorite F&B colors. Can’t wait to see your updates!

• Reply Gemma August 5, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Great post. I love pink paint. I just painted my bathroom a very pale pink. Gemma xx
    jacquardflower.uk

• Reply FrauSchmitt August 5, 2015 at 2:40 pm

As you describe this color it will definitely look great in your bright office. Sounds just like my taste. So excited for the before and after pics.
    xo, Stephanie aka FrauSchmitt

• Reply Marci Simonini August 5, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Holly,
    Can’t wait to see the office wall painted pink! You’re right you can’t let 2 good cans of pink Farrow & Ball go to waste. So far I have only had the guts to add pink as a accent colour in my living room but I love the idea of painting my office with pink and making it a little more girly. Or maybe painting my desk pink! Think I’ll put that on my list of things to paint!
    Cheers,
    Marci

• Reply Judy August 5, 2015 at 3:07 pm

That’s a coincidence. I am about to paint my hallway pink, but probably a much paler pink than yours.

• Reply Patricia August 5, 2015 at 3:33 pm

no, i never done! But it is worth a try!!!

• Reply Aidel.K August 5, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been working on my bedroom all summer (a long overdue project), and painted it pinky-peach last week. I was nervous as I was painting on, but I love it now. I’m still doing a lot of work in the room, and I’m enjoying the color at all times of day. It’s energetic during the day and soothing at night. I must add that I loved that 1938 so much in your entryway, that I ordered one. So much better in person! It’s being framed now, and I will hang it in this bedroom. I’ll keep an eye on your blog to see what I’m doing next! :-)

• Reply Giulia Doyle August 5, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Yes, my daughter’s room is pale pink (‘be mine’ from Behr) and we combined it with grey, black and shades of green now to make it more grown-up. All her furniture is white and light grey.

• Reply Patricia Shea August 5, 2015 at 4:30 pm

How wonderful – I envy you the opportunity to paint a large area pink, and Farrow and Ball pink at that! I would have my entire house pale shell pink if I didn’t have another wanting battleship grey – so a door or two and a table surface or two is sufficing for now. Can’t wait to see the results – it’s an awfully good colour for one’s mood too – as long as it is the perfect pink. Best of luck!

• Reply Martina from France August 5, 2015 at 6:02 pm

I am sure your wall will be gorgeous in ground pink. And really no way to waste F&B paint, there is always a solution, your workspace wall.

• Reply inredningsinsp August 5, 2015 at 8:04 pm

beautiful room I think pink will be perfect color, i never though of lightning before choose color before, thanks

• Reply Anita August 5, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Oujea,
    We have our kitchen wal traffic pink for 8 years now and we still like it.
    It gives some playfulnes to the home.
    This is how it looks like at night. I like it better at daylight.

• Reply Heidi Gumpert August 6, 2015 at 9:29 am

Do you stand by the F&B suggestions? I just read that they suggest that it is best not contrasted with a bright white. I find it really difficult to make paint decisions and am too scared to buy and realize I have made a mistake. I was recently in the UK and could actually visit the shop, and that really helped in picking out wallpaper and matching paint colours!

• Reply Aga | Passion shake August 6, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Oh I’m sure it’s going to look amazing. Yes,I have in my work space too and it was one wall! But shortly after I painted it, we moved to Italy so I never had a chance to decorate it and photograph it. It looked great though. Now working on the new work studio but so far decided to keep all the walls white :)

• Reply karen@somewhatquirkydesign August 6, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I have had several pink rooms. Twice I’ve done my living room walls in pink or rose. The rooms were really quite great. I like to use it as a neutral and in a non-feminine way. What I really want is some pink velvet seating but haven’t had the resources for that yet. It’s a lot cheaper to paint than it is to upholster or reupholster.

• Reply Vivian August 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm

I have painted my whole house in various shades of pink from barely there to hot mama pink. Works for me

• Reply Iris August 19, 2015 at 4:53 pm

love the pink wall in my kitchen, even with quite different colors in front

• Reply Iris August 19, 2015 at 4:58 pm

love the pink wall in my kitchen, even in combination with almost all different colors to decorate and the stripes on the opposite side

• Reply sandra August 20, 2015 at 1:26 pm

it’s going to look fabulous!

• Reply Suzen September 3, 2015 at 1:40 pm

My current home has a very pale pink on the living room walls which warms up the room nicely. We just purchased another home, a Victorian, and I painted the upper 3 feet of the dining room above the plate rail a peachy pink that just glows when the sun comes around in the afternoon. I’m going to use the rest of it on the walls in our bedroom upstairs. Pink is a wonderful color! (As long as it isn’t too bright or too sweet…)

Looking forward to seeing how your room turns out!

• Reply flea bites December 9, 2016 at 9:34 am

As you depict this shading it will look incredible in your brilliant office. Sounds simply like my taste. So energized for the previously, then after the fact pics

• Reply Alex March 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Beautiful room! I love it. I love this style.
    I would like to have the same bookshell as this one.