Decorating Tips

Minimalist Maps From Mapiful: Decorate Your Walls!

August 25, 2015

I can’t wait to tell you about Mapiful because I just love maps and minimalist black and white street maps are very much trending for interiors. Plus, decorating with maps has long been a favorite of designers worldwide. Thing is, when you live outside of a mega “cool” city, it’s often impossible to find maps for your spot, and if you do, even harder to find something you like. I’ve found several of my current city that are either ornate and vintage from flea markets (and expensive) or are designed by the town for our travel and tourism shop and are very generic and boring.

Minimalist Maps From Mapiful: Decorate Your Walls!

Another dilemma is when you find a map of a city that you love that is a popular destination, but it is in color or the typeface is all wrong. Which is often the problem I’ve run into when searching for maps.

That’s why Swedish firm, Mapiful, is the solution for me! They give you the chance to print minimalist black and white maps of any location in the world, pan and zoom, customize the text and they will print it out, mail in a sturdy tube, and ship at no cost no matter where you live. You pay only $60 for your custom map (BUT if you use voucher “decor8” until September 15th, you pay only $50!).

For my map, I selected Paris because it was one of the first cities outside of the United States that I visited as a young woman many years ago and I fell completely in love with French life and culture back then, long before blogs and social media, even before email became the norm! I had so many dreams back then to live in Paris. I’ve been about 10 times since and each time, I want to return to see more because I feel like there is never enough time to see it all. I’ve had the pleasure of working in Paris styling homes and one of my favorite shops, and I have many cherished memories there that will forever stay in my heart. Though I no longer desire to live in Paris, it’s definitely a favorite destination and only an hour by plane so I can go whenever the mood strikes.

I also customized it to say , “Paris, Mon coeur est à toi”, which means a bit like saying, “Paris, My heart is yours”, it’s a very romantic sentiment I think. And it’s true.

Minimalist Maps From Mapiful: Decorate Your Walls!

I didn’t frame my map because I love seeing it taped to my wall. It doesn’t look too precious that way. I like that it looks like how maps were originally presented in classrooms, simply taped to the wall. It’s in my dining room because I associate my trips to Paris with eating – one of my favorite things to do in Paris is to enjoy café culture so putting the poster where we eat in our home was the best place. Each day when I see it, I am reminded of the beautiful places to eat in Paris and the smell of fresh bread during my early morning walks there.

Minimalist Maps From Mapiful: Decorate Your Walls!

As mentioned previously, I’m working with Mapiful to get their maps into your hands so for only $50 (includes shipping globally!) until September 15th you can use the voucher “decor8“. Once you have your map, please frame it or put it on your wall and take a photo and post to Instagram using hashtag #mapiful so we can see what you’ve done with your map and where it’s being used in your home. If Mapiful likes your image, they may regram it to their audience linking back to your IG account, of course.

(Please note: This post is in collaboration with Mapiful. Photos and words are sincere and this review is my own. I never agree to review products that I don’t believe in or wouldn’t own and use myself.)

You Might Also Like

26 Comments

• Reply Inatrendytown August 25, 2015 at 2:10 pm

i love it! Lately I am looking for nice pictures to decorate my home and this one is very beautiful.

Regards from the fashion blog

• Reply Steph@thestephblog August 25, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I love that you taped it to the wall, I do that with prints sometimes too. Washi tape is my favorite it feels both grown up and childlike, and if I use complimentary colors to what’s on the print it can really stand out! I love maps too, thank you for sharing!

• Reply Jess August 25, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Where is your tall white storage cabinet from?!

• Reply Jamie Ng August 25, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Holly! What a find! I am so I love with this map and your perfect customization that I immediately placed my order. I am super excited to order more in the future. I am thinking of ordering a set for my daughter and husband of the different cities they have lived in. Wouldn’t that make a great wall?
    Merci, merci, merci!!!

• Reply Jaclyn Nicole August 25, 2015 at 6:00 pm

These are so incredibly beautiful! I’ve been searching for a super minimalist map for some time now, and this one fits the bill perfectly.

Jaclyn

• Reply lisa j August 25, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve been scouring the internet the last several months looking for different maps and mapiful is absolutely PERFECT

• Reply Elaine August 25, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Really good idea – and i love that you have just taped the map to the wall! Makes me feel brave enough to do the same to my teenagers freshly painted bedroom walls!

• Reply Sandy August 26, 2015 at 6:10 am

This is great! Love that you can customize it!

Do you mind sharing where that colourful cushion is from in your final photo? Thank you.

• Reply Nanni August 26, 2015 at 12:09 pm

great idea!!!

• Reply Sarah August 26, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I just ordered af poster of Auckland, NZ, thank you so much for sharing this website!
    I recently returned from 6 months in NZ, and you have no idea how excited I am to receive the poster (y)

Have a lovely day :)

xx Sarah, Denmark

• Reply N E Jackson August 26, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Hello Holly! I’ve been reading your blog for several months and I’ve enjoyed watching the process of your re-design! I think you’ve hit your stride with this post. It’s such a beautiful product, with a Scandinavian flavor (which is what I’ve always associated with your blog.) Being stuck in an ugly suburb, I love being able to see things from an international perspective. Keep up the good work, and good luck going forward!

• Reply Katie August 26, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I adore this, it’s just simple enough and not kitschy Paris. I also associate Paris with walks to the boulangerie for a fresh baguette + an abundance croissants that I would eat on the way to wherever I was headed.
    The website is great and within seconds I had my own Buffalo, NY map <3 But a Paris map would be better to day dream about!

• Reply Erin August 26, 2015 at 8:31 pm

What a cool idea! I love this!

Also, what color are your walls? It’s GORGEOUS!

• Reply Holly Becker September 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm

@Erin – It’s called DIMPSE from Farrow & Ball – and thank you!!!

• Reply Lindsay August 26, 2015 at 8:41 pm

These maps are so beautiful! I’ve been thinking about getting one for my entryway for a while! I love the timeless quality of them!

• Reply Sandy August 27, 2015 at 7:13 am

May I ask where that pretty geometric cushion is from? Thank you.

• Reply resa August 27, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Ein wunderschön gestalteter Blog! What a beautiful Blog….greetings from Germany!

• Reply Cate August 27, 2015 at 8:08 pm

It’s lovely! Love the cushion also :)

• Reply Ann Dim August 28, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Maps in my classrooms were always framed and in colour. I like the idea that you can design your own map – they even use Cyrillic letters, which is so rare outside Russia and Bulgaria, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Alexa~FurnishMyWay August 31, 2015 at 6:16 pm

As a lover of travels and clean design, these minimalist maps make my heart happy! They’re chic, clean, and I love that you can customize them. I would actually be interested in putting these in my own home decor. Great post– I enjoyed reading every bit of it!

• Reply Ilse September 1, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Wow, I absolutely love the look of their maps. Allready made one on their website of my city, The Hague.
    Still a little expensive for me tough! So much doubt!

• Reply Sarah September 8, 2015 at 4:22 am

Thanks for the voucher Holly, I just popped over to Mapiful and ordered a poster for my son’s room.

Sarah x

• Reply Nathan Davidson September 27, 2015 at 6:01 am

I would love to see the rest of the series of the maps here because it looks like it could make for a pretty interesting running theme through the house. I would personally collect them all and keep the ones I’m not using in storage so that I can cycle through them on the walls once in a while.

• Reply Lilesadi January 7, 2016 at 9:55 pm

This is so simple and beautiful. I love the minimalistic map and the beautiful, sculptural plant together.