Decorating Tips, Tabletop

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

September 24, 2015

Hi everybody! This is Anke Illner and usually I post about table decoration on my blog but today I’m both very happy and excited to be sharing my first new column on decor8 all about tabletop decorating. I’ll show you the same table in my dining room each month styled a different way to hopefully inspiring your next gathering. Entertaining is a big trend, wouldn’t you agree, and it will only become stronger since many have come to discover that gatherings at home are more intimate than meeting up at restaurants – and a lot more affordable and give you a chance to be creative. Okay, time to get started with my first installment in my tabletop series. For this look, I’m bringing you some late summer inspiration.

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

I always liked a table styling that tells a little story about the current season of the year. And I love the month of September. The warm light, fresh air, luscious colors and opulence make me happy all round. It is the best time of the year to ramble around the farmers markets, if you ask me. During my last visit, I could not resist the dahlias and small yellow plums (called Mirabellen in German). In good company with a homemade marzipan pound cake I set my September themed table with floral bouquets in small vases (formerly jam jars), rustic-style ceramics and linen-napkins. A big round wooden board functions as the centerpiece, giving the cake a perfect stage. Last but not least, I scattered some small yellow plums. Not only do they add some spots of yellow color to the table but also make the guests happy.

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

When guests come, I mostly arrange several medium-sized bunches of flowers as they allow everybody to see each other. You`ll find a step-by-step tutorial for medium arrangements in Holly & Leslie’s, “Decorate with Flowers”. Furthermore, I discovered beautiful images of floating flowers in their book, the inspiration for my mini version on every guests’ plate. My flower choice this time: multicolored dahlias, white phlox, sage and some grass. I can highly recommend sage as an add-on, its delicate scent is just wonderful!

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

Tabletop: Creative Ideas For Late Summer

Along with coffee and cake I prepared cucumber and ginger infused water. I tried this for the very first time when visiting Amsterdam this summer and was surprised about the fresh, aromatic taste. Have you given infused water a try? Which variation? I hope you liked this table setting and I wish you the most beautiful late summer, dear readers! See you again in October for my next tabletop theme! – Anke.

(photography and styling: anke illner)

15 Comments

• Reply Sandy Varelmann September 24, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Ahhhhhhh, lovely, soft and so beautiful. Great table setting and beautiful photography. I totally want to join you at the table! Great point about entertaining at home being so wonderful – you show how to create a space that’s “take your breath away” stunning. Thanks for sharing this beautiful table and I’m looking forward to your next post – October! :)

• Reply Julia (mammilade) September 24, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Oh my gosh…
    Anke, Holly…
    This is more than stunning!
    I simply adore Ankes styling ideas.
    Shes the perfect match for this column… :)
    Glad to see more soon!

Julia :-)*

• Reply Julia (mammilade) September 24, 2015 at 2:31 pm

… she is … ;)))

• Reply Angel of Berlin September 24, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I love the colours! the white with the pastel of the flowers – just beautiful! Not too autumny but just enough :)

• Reply Kasia September 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I simply adore your photographs, your home and your blog! Such a beautiful place… thank you for that!

• Reply Kathi September 24, 2015 at 3:43 pm

This is simply lovely !

• Reply Annette September 24, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I would be interested in making the marzipan poundcake if you would be inclined to share the recipe. I speak German, so language would not be a problem. Thank you.

• Reply Claudia September 24, 2015 at 4:00 pm

This table setting is really gorgeous! I’m in love!

• Reply Tanja September 24, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I feel already inspired. Would you mind to share the recipe for that gorgeous cake? Thx

• Reply Tanja September 24, 2015 at 8:32 pm

• Reply Sandra September 24, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Simple and beautiful ideas!

• Reply wunderschoen-gemacht September 25, 2015 at 6:50 am

der perfekte septembertisch im anke-style! wunderschön! herzliche waldgrüsse, dunja

• Reply Jyotsna September 25, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Love the styling, ideas and the soft colors! Have been following your blog for a while now but just didn’t get a chance to connect! But totally drool worthy setting and I wish I could try the cucumber and ginger infused water:)

• Reply Ariana Sparkle September 28, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I just bought a home and I aspire to create beautiful table settings such as these! This really makes me excited to entertain and have ppl over. The flowers for the table are magnificent! It reread a dreamy kind of quality. I look forward to next months table setting!

• Reply Jamie Bowers January 9, 2016 at 4:28 pm