Ramblings

Fresh + New For 2016!

January 13, 2016

Hello dear friends and readers, I have a lot of good news to share for my 2016 plans for decor8, some of which I’ll share now! I can’t wait to tell you. First, I have a new literary agent, Maria, from Stonesong in New York City. I’m thrilled to be represented by them for my 5th book and hopefully, beyond as I would love to write more books and even branch into novel writing and I believe that Stonesong can get me there. Plus, it’s a well-respected and growing firm that represents a lot of top talent on the web so they really get it – they understand the way new media works and how influencers and our businesses work, and that is vital for any author who goes from web to print. Working with agents who don’t really understand the blogger world is seriously a waste of time, so I’m with Stonesong because they know the biz and at the end of the day, that’s all you really want right?!

Fresh + New For 2016!

The next big news is that I’ve hired a team of writers (woo hoo!) to work with me so I can travel frequently and also vary the topics more with a team of 8 globetrotting reporters, all talented professionals working in the food and interiors industry. I also have a new Relationship Manager consulting on our team, Toni (Morten), who will help me with contracts and international clients – he speaks 5 languages and is excellent with people – it’s such an honor to have him even if only for a short period. He is incredibly talented and everyone loves him – he fills a room with light when he walks in. You really want someone like that representing your business.

Last year in October, I hired another consultant who is still with us, Amelie, who is my Sponsored Content + Marketing Manager. She is just great, in fact I’m going to Paris for a week all thanks to her great work in France for me. She is pregnant at the moment, due in May, but I imagine she’ll be consulting with me again later after the baby arrives too.

And the third chunk of good news is that editorial content on decor8 will now be managed by my assistant, Jessy, with the help Amelie and I. I decided last November that it was time to continue growing and reaching higher and I couldn’t do it with a team of 2 writers and a part-time ad sales person. Especially since I’m no longer in the business of selling ads on the blog. Now I have staff and it feels good. And Jessy has been with me for several years already, so she’ll be working with my team to organize their columns, editing, etc.

All of this means that we will have content that runs on specific days as outlined below. I’m so excited about this! It will begin slowly in February but be a regular feature from March onward. We will look at the model again in December to see what we can tweak and change for 2017, but for now, this is our plan.

HOME (Monday)
Each Monday, you can expect something produced for you from one of our columnists centered on the home. One week, a home tour. Another week, a DIY project. I’ve hired a wonderful lady to give us floral inspiration once a month and Anke will stay on for the year to share more fantastic tabletop ideas. So creating a cozy home with heart will become our Monday topic. What a nice way to begin the week.

OPEN (Tuesday)
On Tuesday, I will post something centered on my travels, a fair I’ve been to, a decorating project at home I’ve worked on, special products I’ve found, etc. Tuesday will always be authored by me, no matter which topic I’ve chosen. And it will always be centered on decorating and design or travel.

EAT (Wednesday)
Our food column will run on Wednesday so you have a few days to plan your weekend menu with maybe one of our delicious cakes, meals or other sweet and savory recipes. The first food writer I’ve hired is Emma Duckworth. She is a prop stylist, interior decorator and mother of two (with another on the way!) living in Sydney. She covers all areas of styling including product, still life, lifestyle, food and interiors. Emma’s work is wide and varied including the styling for music sensation Passenger’s music video, styling ex-Masterchef contestant Courtney Roulston’s latest cookbook and her work has also been seen on Houzz and Yahoo. If you look at her work, you’ll quickly see that she is talented and knows her stuff. Today Emma joins us for the first time with her recipe creation (Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake, yum!) that you will love so stay tuned for that. I’ll tell you about the other ladies I’ve hired soon too in the weeks ahead.

FROM THE HEART (Thursday)
I will lead a weekly column on Thursdays which will be a heart topic. Sometimes I’ll interview another woman. Maybe I’ll surprise you with a podcast or video. I’ll talk about things that are on my mind about parenting as a working mom, or maybe blogging, or perhaps sex (!), struggles in business, or anything that I’m thinking about that you may be thinking about too. You can expect that each week on Thursdays, from my heart to yours.

EDITOR’S LETTER (Friday)
On Friday, I will post a weekly letter from me to you covering what I’ve seen and loved, links to special places online, books I’m in love with, etc. It will also be my sign off and wrap up for the week. I miss posting on Fridays when I used to wish everyone a happy weekend so I’ve decided to get back to that, but with more value to you so I can leave you with interesting things to see and think about.

WEEKEND (Saturday and/or Sunday)
Some weekends may include posts where I pop in and share something, but weekend content will be sporadic and not always happening each and every weekend. But you can expect it from time-to-time. The weekly content will stick to the format outlined above, however.

So! Those are just some of the great things for decor8 that I’ve put into play in the past 13 DAYS since the new year began. I’ve been busy! But very energized to get into the new schedule and make decor8 even more valuable and interesting because my first love and passion will always be this blog. I’ve just celebrated my 10th year anniversary as a blogger and when I read this post (the first post I wrote here a decade ago) I cannot believe how far I’ve come and I have each and every one of you to thank from the bottom of my heart. Here’s to another 10 years! Cheers my dears!

xo, Holly

(Photography: Holly Becker)

14 Comments

• Reply Alexandra January 13, 2016 at 5:06 pm

That sounds great, but doesn’t it go directly in contrast to the trend you were talking about a few months ago about slow blogging, and how you were annoyed by blogs that were posting everyday, or blogs that had lost their soul because of the abundance of contributors?

• Reply Holly Becker January 13, 2016 at 8:44 pm

@Alexandra – I wrote that article on decor8 over a year ago. I think so much changes on the web in a year – back when I wrote that in 2014, people were really into Pinterest and Instagram in a very big way. Those are still popular, but current trends point more towards people wanting to be part of smaller closed communities again and get back to heartfelt conversations and finding genuine value online vs just eye candy and nothing else. As trends in thinking cycle through, which I pay close attention to, I have noticed more comments again on my blog and more people wanting to return to their favorite blogs but this time, for content that is a little less about showing the latest and greatest products or pumping out post after post and more about sharing life stories, content created by them, things that are very meaningful to the author/s of the blog. For me, to have one post a day during the week (I used to singlehandedly write 8-10 posts daily, then dropped to maybe 5, then dropped to maybe 2-3, etc.) is still slow blogging in comparison to sites that have multiple posts daily.

Since writing that post, I’ve also come to see that if you choose writers who do have something to say, they can inspire your readers and you, as well. I have felt as though for me to continue blogging, I need people I admire to work with on a continual basis, I cannot accept working with only a few here and there. I believe the soul of the blogger can remain on their blog if they are still showing up very regularly. I plan to show up each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. That’s more than I do now with only 2 writers. If having 8 writers makes me show up 3x a week, then I’m already giving more of my soul to my audience, not less. On average, I’m posting 2 days a week, sometimes just 1, currently. That’s already saying something – I need contributors to light my spark.

Hope this sheds light!

• Reply Dodi January 13, 2016 at 5:22 pm

This is exciting news indeed! I’m looking forward to all that new content–especially Thursdays. You do that so well.

• Reply Alison Fargis January 13, 2016 at 5:49 pm

We are so thrilled you are part of our team, Holly! Welcome aboard.

• Reply Mnêmosunê January 13, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Cheers Holly and Congratulations !
    I can’t wait to read all these wonderful articles ! Do you plan to write an article, a more detailed one, about your team of writers ? I would love to learn more about them.
    Wish you the best for 2016, as well as for the blog and all the wonderful people working with you.

• Reply Vanessa January 13, 2016 at 8:50 pm

That are wonderful news! I’m really exiting to read all these topics.
    Wish you all the best and that your “new” blog will be what you’re dreaming of.
    See you …
    Vanessa

• Reply All things nice... January 13, 2016 at 9:10 pm

So exciting… I’m really looking forward to reading more and more from Decor8… lots of inspiration and ideas for the New Year ahead

All things nice…

• Reply Marilyn January 13, 2016 at 11:45 pm

I think this will be a nice transition (is that the right word??) to your blog and I’m really looking forward to these new posts. And congratulations on your new team and agent! =D

• Reply Tara January 14, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I love your plan and wish you the best of luck with your team in 2016.

• Reply Katrin January 16, 2016 at 9:26 am

Intresting news. Intresting to see how a personal small blog grows into a business. I have been a very loyal reader and visitor during last years, kept returing even in very slow blogging times. Have been thinking why, because I’m not so intrested in a wide spectrum of life topics. It’s probably because I love your personal taste. If that has inluded food, it has been fine, because of all the beautiful photographs. I’m a little sceptical how such a big team of contributors can deliver what is essentially very personal style, that something that is probably not even possible to define and measure. I wish you and your team all the best for this new chapter and I hope for myself that the blog will remain my favorite blog in the net, as it has been for years. Until today there has been nothing similar for me to follow on regular basis.

• Reply Nina January 18, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Such wonderful plans you have outlined Holly! Looking forward to these, especially the Friday topics with interesting things online!
    Lovely with all new staff on decor8; I wish I would also come this far! Have a great week!

Hugs, from a frozen Scandinavia

• Reply Ulrike January 18, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I love this photography!!!
    Which photo camera do you usally use?

• Reply Marinda January 19, 2016 at 10:27 am

I’ve been reading your blog since about three years ago and I’ve always liked it, because of the inspiration it gives me for decorating my home, my desk, and so on. A lot of redecorating started with you. I liked the posts where you opened up. And I know you’ve been doing the recipes for a long time, but it seems like the decorating bit has been pushed a lot to the background. Do you have another place where you focus more on decorating (for example, in your books)?

• Reply Kaffiknopf January 23, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Mhm, I love weekplans and I love yours :) Looking forward! And maybe I’ll give that Spongecake a try, but I have some Spongecake Desaster in my history, so maybe I wait for Emmas next receipe, hehe.