Travel

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

August 15, 2016

Good morning friends, I hope that you had a very nice weekend. I spent time in the countryside which was refreshing and relaxing – picking flowers, walking through the vast fields, taking photos and enjoying time with my little boy. I woke this morning to realize that I’d not shared many photos with you from my trip to Gotland. If you recall this past June, I was on a styling and photography retreat taught by German Artist Dietland Wolf in Sweden… And do to begin the week here is my Midsummer photo story with a strong focus on the land where we stayed and the golden sunlight.

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

All of these were taken on the last evening of my stay on Gotland when the sun bathed the island in the most radiant golden, warm light. When I first started taking photos, the light was more clear and white… Then it slowly became more and more golden. You will notice this in the photos I think. It was surreal to experience the sunset there; I’d not experienced light quite like this before, it was magical and left me in love with Gotland even more. I felt like the island was a special place for not only its natural beauty and stillness, but for the light quality. I noticed it constantly no matter how clear the skies – the island always had the most beautiful light quality so taking photos was a dream come true for me.

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden
I hope you’ve enjoy these photos as much I enjoyed taking them. As I was roaming the property where we stayed to capture my surroundings, I felt overwhelmed with emotion as I knew the next morning I would fly home and I didn’t want the magic to end. I could have easily spent a month on that island (or the entire summer) if my little boy could have been by my side. I kept thinking that the island was perfect for children and families because there was so much to explore and was like going back in time – everything there was so simple, fresh and connected to nature. The bakeries, the farms where we ate, even the little gift shops – simple and authentic in every way.

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

Magical Midsommer In Gotland Sweden

If you ever get a chance to vacation to the island of Gotland, or take a workshop with Dietlind, don’t even think twice about it – go – and bring your camera!
(Photography: Holly Becker for decor8)

13 Comments

• Reply iHanna August 15, 2016 at 10:59 am

I agree with you that Gotland is a place of serene beauty! I have a lot of photos on my blog from this island, but non as pretty as yours Holly. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Kreetta August 15, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful feeling in your photos – the evening light is magical. I really want to go back to Gotland and Dietlind’s workshop was such a big experience. She is amazing lady.

• Reply Holly Becker August 15, 2016 at 1:02 pm

@Kreetta – me too, she lives only 90 minutes away from me so I hope very much to drive up this autumn and spend time with her in Hamburg – would be so nice to see her again. She is in Gotland now – such a wonderful place to be!

• Reply Bridget Wall August 15, 2016 at 1:07 pm

My family is from Gotland, and visiting my cousins there was my first trip out of the country when I was 13! And of course, we went for Midsommar, which fast became my favorite holiday. What’s not to like: food, friends, family, the outdoors? All the good things in life.

• Reply Cattie August 15, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Gorgeous photos! The light on Gotland truly is magical. I’m going there later this week – can’t wait (even though I dread leaving my beloved Stockholm for this year…)

• Reply Nina August 15, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Wow, such beautiful photos Holly! I can see you had a magical time on the island! I hope to get there someday, too! With my camera, I promise. :)

• Reply Angélica August 15, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Beautiful pictures! That light sure is amazing, wow. So dreamy!

• Reply Sandy Deasey August 16, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Ooo, I just got a new camera, and this is so inspiring! I remember reading about your insecurities on becoming more of a photographer. You’re so good!

• Reply Jessica August 24, 2016 at 3:45 am

Such very lovely photos, Holly! There’s nothing like the golden hour – I just want to jump into each of your captures.

Jessica

• Reply Anonymous August 25, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Is it intentional that you omit your husband from being imagined with you and your son in Gotland? I’ve noticed this in some of your other posts where it sounds like it’s just you and your son.

• Reply Mira August 29, 2016 at 8:18 am

This small vacation looks like one hell of a time spent amid nature! By the way, amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Ingrid Opstad August 30, 2016 at 1:09 pm

So lovely, great mood in these shots!