I love it when my favorite design gurus talk about what they’re loving for the season! It’s fun to peek into someone else’s shopping bag when you admire their style so much. Would you like to see my 12 favorites for Fall from Anthropologie? I don’t get to their stores much these days – they don’t have any in Germany and up until now they were only in England (but soon to open in Paris), so unless I travel there I’m rarely able to play in their fashion and interiors wonderland for adults. I do shop them online though since they have a German store, but it’s not the same as being immersed in that lush brocante chic experience that is Anthro. Oh well, I’m due a London visit soon anyway. Until then, here is my shopping list for the months ahead…
Spot any new faves?
Gold foil is so hot right now, have you noticed? And bold contrasts too, like black and white stripes. And don’t get me started on totes with upbeat girl power phrases. I think every now and then we need to treat ourselves so with back to school here and with lots of us taking online classes or who know teens going back to high school or have college pals heading back in, etc. I found 5 things that you may like for yourself or to give as a gift. These are all handmade, high quality and decor8 tested and approved from Great.ly makers that fit MY version of what back to school means to me at the moment – a hint of glam!
1. 13″ Macbook case in black white stripe Japanese canvas by Hanelca/Aya Kawaura 2. Gold Foil lip print by Becky Lord 3. Gold anchor note cards by Taylor Henderson. 4. Swiss dot patterned gold foil pencils by Splendid Supply Co. 5. Stay Awesome tote bag custom made for decor8 readers by Toodles Noodles.
Aren’t these handmade items just the best? Which ones do you like the best?
Please note: All products in this post are decor8 tested and approved.
(images: holly becker)
Hello everyone! I’m experimenting with this idea of having an online shop, so I’ve added some really nice things to the decor8 Great.ly shop recently that I’m sure you will really love that are shown below. If you want to learn more about anything you see just click on the links and you’ll be zipped over to my shop el pronto! I love working with so many talented makers and am currently partnering with a few of them to create all new products that I’ll offer soon in my shop too. It’s such meaningful work for me and such a great way to dabble in something new while also supporting others to continue working for themselves doing what they love. I’m trying to have less ads on decor8, I’m being VERY strict with who advertises on decor8 right now and going forward and am trying to scale back a lot with ads so I only have the best of the best on the site. This also means a revenue loss each month. Having an online shop could potentially help me make up for that loss, even if only in a small way. So are you ready to see some of what’s in stock at the moment? Many of these items are produced in limited numbers so if you see something you like, don’t wait… Here are my 6 different categories with a peek of what’s inside of each:
Category 1: Every Girl Needs – This section of my shop includes bags and totes, jewelry, candles, key fobs, laptop bags and folders, camera bags and more. Here are a few products I love: The Mamuye Tote, Leather, handcrafted in Ethiopia. Can’t keep this bag in stock, it’s back ordered but you can order it now and it will be available to ship on July 25th. // Envelope Macbook case handmade in Japan // Stay Awesome tote screen printed in New Zealand using vegetable inks – also available in black and gold // Hello Friend tote // Laser cut custom made silhouette pendant // Ring in recycled silver.
Category 2: Wee Ones - This is where I stock items for babies and children like linens, wall art, shoes, dolls, dollhouses, bookends and other cute things. Here are a few products you’ll want to check out: Buck tassel pillow // Silver star cloud mobile // WORD onesie // The sky is the limit paper wall flag // Sleep neon pink pillowcase // Jumping bunny nursery print.
Category 3: Office + Gifts – This is where you can find nice items to give and also practical yet lovely things for your home office. I grouped these together since I find I’m always giving people paper products and things that I use for work since so many of my friends are working girls too. Here are a few highlights: // Stay Awesome gift tags // ceramic moth coasters // palm + cactus gift tags // vintage sewing gift tags // gold anchor notecards // gold foil polkadot pencils.
Category 4: Art Walls – I had to have a corner of my store dedicated to art, namely prints of original works. I love art walls, also known as gallery walls or “salon style” which takes its name from the French salon style arrangements of grouping photos on the wall. Anyway, I love these works and by far, this part of my shop is most well-stocked – you can find tons of gorgeous prints here and the best part is that I’ve collected them so that you can actually buy any of them and put them on the wall together and they’d work! So you can’t go wrong. Enjoy! Some highlights include: // Abstract artwork // From The Valley canvas print // Shade art print // Faded beach day // Paris is always a good idea // Dressed I Artwork Print // Light Fog art print // Cactus flower photo print.
Category 5: Decorate – How could I NOT have a decorating category? Here are some highlights from pillows to throws. Highlights: // geometric air plant vessel // Icelandic sheepskin throw // cushions // stay awesome flag // acrylic bathroom signs // Je T’aime (means “I love you” in French) pillow // eclipse cushion.
Category 6: Foodies – This is where everything for the kitchen and tabletop goes. guten Appetit! Highlights: // Handmade lace cheese plate // madison rocks cups // linen napkins // black and maple serving board // handmade white ceramic spoon // handmade white ceramic bowl // Plume gray napkins set of 4 // Tokyo ramen bowl.
(images linked to their sources above.)
Oh la la! The day of love is approaching and for some, it spells dread because we’ve been sold to for years that V day is all about romance with your one true love. Don’t buy into it! Gather your girlfriends, your kids, your family or spend it alone in the bathtub with something boozy to drink and bubble bath to celebrate the love you feel for yourself. Dump the dumb traditions and look at February 14th as a fun, positive day and whether you celebrate or not, next month is a great month in general to stock up on lots of fabulous things in pink and red in fun heart shapes (including those yummy candy hearts that I miss so badly here in Germany!) that you can also enjoy year round. I thought you may enjoy some inspiration to see what I mean. Here are 28 ideas that I’ve collected online (please link to those that you fancy) that you’re certain to enjoy. Kisses!
2. Cocktails! Just add heart sugar from Dellcove Spices to the rims to make it extra festive and full of love.
3. Creative photography! Arrange something pretty on a tabletop in the shape of a heart, photograph it, print, and pin to your mood board or frame like Leslie Shewring did. You can also turn this into a greeting card to give to someone dear.
4. Gift giving! Watercolor on paper and cut into hearts and attach them to presents with twine like Leslie Shewring did – she’s such a talented person!
Gift give! 5a. If you like to keep things simple, KROnPINSESSENE has a simple gift wrap idea with string and stickers. 6b. Pretzels dipped in chocolate with heart confetti 7c. Cupcakes with handmade arrows. 8d. love letter cookies from Kanela y Limon.
9. Bake cookies for your sweetheart! Love cookies made by Sweet Style Blog – could these get any sweeter?
10. Whip up a little pie! Bake up a little raspberry pie, this one was made by zucker zimt und liebe.
11. Host Brunch with friends. Make some heart waffle sandwiches with prosciutto to enjoy brunch with your lady friends on V Day! We have plenty of love in our life to go around without worrying about whether or not we have a date on February 14th! Gather the girls like Design Love Fest did and spread your own love and magic.
12. Wing it! If you don’t have time to whip up something heart-themed, why not buy some cupcakes at the bakery and add your own touch on top with a little heart you’ve made. In America around Valentine’s Day, lots of cupcakes come with a plastic heart stuck inside but you can easily remove it, cut and attach your own handmade heart using a favorite paper to a straw you’ve cut short (like a cute red and white striped one) and pop it into the cupcake.
13. Photo magic at home! Take some fun photos against a white background (hang a sheet you’ve pressed wrinkle-free) and use heart-shaped anything as props like photographer Max Wanger does (his website, his interview on decor8). Take photos of your kids, pets, whomever is around that you love. Or use a camera with a timer and photograph yourself.
Balloons! Oh yeah, definitely do the whole balloon thing. One, two, forty… Balloons say FUN and turn a simple dinner at home into a romantic joy fest. 14a. massive amounts of pink balloons at home from 100 layer cake 15b. order and deliver big hearts to someone you love like these by geronimo balloons via oh joy 16c. A small colorful collection presented to your date on his doorstep (or office) wearing your prettiest outfit like these from lark store 17d. One giant balloon with streamers tied to it like this one shot by Liz Banfield for Style Me Pretty.
18. Throw a Craft Party for Your Friends! Host your own V Day crafting party with the girls like they did over at Better Homes & Gardens… And while you’re at it, serve champagne! I also love the at home crafting party that they did over at Style Me Pretty! Nothing makes crafting together more hilarious than when you drop going for perfection – usually a glass of bubbly makes even the most perfectly perfect crafter chill out a bit.
Play dress up! Wear some hearts without being tacky! 19a. Adorable blogger Jordan Ferney in a heart sweater 20b. shoe clips by Ban.do 21c. heart skirt (love this) which looks super stylish 22d. heart blouse (I also adore this look) from little miss fearless. Fashion tip: A way to avoid this look turning too twee is to either dress or accessorize with only ONE item that has a heart pattern. Not all at once!
23. Decorate with decals! I love these black hearts against a peachy-pink wall by Ferm Living.
24. Decorate the ceiling! And why not? By Designer Emily Mugannam
25. Decorate with pillows! I like this understated heart cushion by Foto Le Maire for a living room, especially nice for those who don’t want to go bold.
26. Decorate the walls with flowers! These wall vases from Love Star are the best.
27. Decorate with hoops! This fun V day party by The Nester resulted in these crafty hoops – love!
28. Decorate with chocolate! Do you think I’m kidding? The Sweetest Occasion made a DIY heart wall. Yes, really!
See any ideas you love? I love the craft party idea, or the pretty brunch that Bri did. I also love the heart sugar for cocktail glass rims! Yum!
(images linked to their sources above)