I feel like there are so many great shops on Etsy right now that to simply mention 5 is not enough today. I’m going for 10 if that’s okay with you (just for today!). Plus it’s a short work week, I’m taking Thursday and Friday off so I can give you a little extra since you’ll have to go without for a few days… Ah, it’s okay though! Logging off of the internet for a bit is super beneficial — I think we all should ‘step away from the web’ for at least one day now and then. I’m stepping away Thursday, Friday, and all day Saturday and maybe even Sunday because I haven’t done that in a very long while and I feel like there is this need to do so. I’ve been feeling super inspired lately but like many of you, have lacked follow through so I plan to jump on some of my projects while I’m not blogging… I am very excited to take a brief pause you know? Can you relate to this need to step back for a few days and unleash your creativity? No Facebook, no email, nothing… I can’t wait. But I’ll have to wait… because it’s time for Etsy Take Five Tuesday! I’ve promised you 10 shops today so how ’bout I stop talking and let you start looking and clicking around. Ready? Go!
2. Sound Revolution - This body of work by an Australian graphic designer and illustrator is inspired by the conflicting and harmonious relationships that the urban environment has with the natural world. I find this an interesting theme and enjoy seeing some of the stags here and there. Stags are everywhere lately, especially in stores in Germany. Is it the same in America at the moment? Stags as a motif?
4. New Fashioned Whispers – I found this shop over at Melissa Loves today, and the moment I saw the snowflake earrings that Melissa featured I purchased them because they are delightful for winter and very Anthropologie without the often high price tag. This shop has gorgeous jewelry with an old fashioned twist, so girly, some art decor pieces, and they are affordable — especially if you compare them with what you find at some of our favorite retail chain stores. Eek! Thanks for the tip, Melissa! (she always finds the sweetest things.)
5. Naoko’s Stoop – “Aw…” That’s the first word that came out of my mouth the second I opened the page of this darling little etsy shop. Naoka was born in Tokyo (hence this gorgeous style she has) and now lives in Brooklyn, New York. Great work, especially her pieces on wood.
6. Track and Field Designs - This is one of my favorite little crafty shops and I’m constantly doing an online drive by to see if Sasha has listed anything new. Well this time I scored because I found a few newish things that I like, sweet to add in gift packs for friends or to give to your nieces (or okay, yourself).
7. Fiery Eyed - Oh Jenifer Altman, what you do to me! She is such a beam of light, wow. Her work always impresses me, with every new photo I’m amazed. More Jenifer here on her ::website:: or her blog ::Nectar and Light::
8. Shup(G) - Lydia Wong loves a good charm necklace, she makes so many creative ones too! Lydia is offering a 10% discount until December 15, 2008 on purchases totaling $50 and above. She will amend the invoice once she receives notification of your purchase. Charmed, I’m sure!
9. Nancy Tobin – Nancy’s paintings are wild, imaginative, magical… and so colorful! I can envision one of? prints in a very modern white space or even an artsy colorful apartment against painted walls in bold jewel tones like midnight blue or purple. Her work can fit into so many different decors. Nancy has been an artist for many years, her illustrations have appeared in magazines and children’s books, she has designed toys for Hasbro and graphic design for Herman Miller. Quite a lady! More of Nancy here::Nancy Tobin Blog:: or ::website::
How was that round up? What did you like best? Any new to you?
(images from shops linked above)
Update: CONTEST CLOSED NOVEMBER 2008.
I’m so excited to share The Creative Entrepreneur book today because I spoke with my contact at Quayside Publishing Group and she has agreed to do a giveaway here on decor8 – 5 books for 5 very lucky readers (1 book per winner in other words)! I’ll tell you how to enter below, but for now here’s a little show and tell a little as this book is very, very special. I think it will appeal to MANY of you which is precisely why I wanted to approach the publisher about hosting a giveaway.
The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real by Lisa Sonora Beam (founder of The Creative Entrepreneur blog/website) takes creative types on a visual journey into their soul to dig deep, find the right path, and then once on it, how to get from point A to Z. This book just may help you to figure out “What To Do When You Don’t Know What To Do”, remember that series of posts here on decor8? If not, read them all here, they are VERY inspiring. If you found those helpful I think that you’ll just love The Creative Entrepreneur because Lisa’s words as an artist, teacher, business woman…and the journal that you’ll need to create in order to successfully ‘complete’ this book will help you get on your feet heading in the right direction.
“The Creative Entrepreneur takes readers on an inner journey of creative exploration to discover how to make their dreams of creative livelihood real… it is a visual, project-oriented, step-by-step approach to business development especially for creatives.”
Psst: If you live in the Bay area, Lisa is giving a workshop for $70 next month that you may like to attend, more information on it here. She’ll also be giving another workshop in LA this March.
Want to win a copy of this book? I thought so. I will select 5 of you who comment on this post between now and Wednesday, the winners will be posted on Wednesday afternoon at 3pm EST and each will receive one brand new copy of this book from the publisher. The book is in English.
To enter: It’s easy! Simply comment below (only one entry per household) with your thoughts on this subject: What are some constructive AND destructive aspects of your personality that are directly influencing your creative process currently? Discuss at as much length as you’d like but remember, enter only one time please.
UPDATE: THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED, WINNERS WERE ALREADY SELECTED AND NOTIFIED. THANK YOU.
(images: quayside publishing, lisa sonora beam, holly becker for decor8)