Inspiration

Inspiration From Retrovilla

June 25, 2009

I just heard about Retrovilla in Denmark a few moments ago from a comment left by the sweet Christine (thanks, C!) and my heart is beating double time! All this delicious color and pattern, these fun rooms full of life and personality, it’s all so lived in and welcoming. The lady behind Retrovilla is 27-year-old Mette Helena Rasmussen, a painter and home stylist, who works independently for clients and for such magazines as BoligLIV, Bo Better, Food & Housing and ROM123 while studying at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen. Imagine hiring her to help you spruce up your space? If you lived in Denmark, you could!

Inspiration From Retrovilla

Inspiration From Retrovilla

Inspiration From Retrovilla

Inspiration From Retrovilla

Inspiration From Retrovilla

Mette also has a knack for playhouse design which melts my heart – how sweet and what a fun profession to renovate playhouses for little ones. She even recycles vintage furniture for children and shows her work here and sells vintage wallpaper through the Liebe shop (email liebe.susan AT gmail.com if you are interested in any of these papers).

(images: Retrovilla but taken by Tia Borgsmidt)

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Rachael June 25, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Hi! I read a while back that you and several of your designer friends were going to be moving. I was shocked because I made the decision to move that same week (before I read your blog). I’ve been in my current place for 7 yrs and it was a big decision. I felt so much better to read that this seems to be the year of designers moving! I’m excited to read about how all your moves go. I’m sure we’ll be very, VERY happy in our new abodes and neighborhoods! Happy moving to us. xo!

• Reply John Trosko June 25, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Love the color, but even more, what caught my eye– was the suspended bookcase… nice way to lighten up a heavy piece of storage.

John aka OrganizingLA

• Reply Naomi Friedman June 25, 2009 at 2:31 pm

She is brilliant! I just love all the colour and pattern in these images!

So good of you to whip up a post about it in just a few moments :)

You amaze me!

• Reply Leslie June 25, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Gorgeous! That red stove is awesome!

• Reply Rebekah June 25, 2009 at 3:15 pm

wow, I mean WOW!! so very talented indeed!

you are on fire today Holly, thank you so for your constant and diligent inspiration it fills me to the soul for my day of draining activity! Oh and I just bough that “you are my sunshine” print this past Monday and can not wait for it to get here!!

cheers,
    Rebekah

• Reply Bess June 25, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Ahhh Scandinavian design. I love Mette’s home and studio spaces, so clean and white with beautiful punches of colour. Definitely one for the bookmarks folder :) Thanks!

• Reply sly_fox June 25, 2009 at 3:35 pm

3d furnishings get fairy tale magic with the “prints charming” treatment. sorry, I couldn’t resist :) the bedroom quilt and artwork are deliciosuly complimentary. the little orange dresser and unusual “A-frame” curio hut are super-cute.

• Reply aphrochic June 25, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I really love that high gloss black table. What amazing contrast.

• Reply Mari June 25, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Great Post! love their style and LOVE the wallpaper. I just went onto their site and cannot find the wallpaper category anywhere. Do you happen to know how one could see the different patterns they carry if wanting to purchase?
    Thanks!

• Reply emma June 25, 2009 at 4:08 pm

This is so lovely! Thanks for posting it!

• Reply decor8 June 25, 2009 at 4:30 pm

EMMA! Honey! We MUST catch up. I’m moving permanently to your side of the world in August. We must meet up at some point. I’ve missed you.
      Is that vegan rest. still there, because I want to come up and go there with you again but also to the King’s Garden again.

• Reply sunny June 25, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Love the use of color and pattern!

• Reply Jen June 25, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Marvellous! What fun stuff. Plus it is feminine without being saccharine.

• Reply susie June 25, 2009 at 6:05 pm

I’m just crazy about these pictures! Just what I needed right at this moment!

• Reply Laura June 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Ooh! I love Mette’s studio!! And all of the wallpaper details & art she has used in the rooms, too :)
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..The Sweet Life Files: Bringing Passion Into The Everyday =-.

• Reply Natalie June 25, 2009 at 9:39 pm

I love all of those retro patterns used throughout each room – beautiful!

• Reply Bri June 26, 2009 at 1:28 pm

So many lovely colors and patterns! I love all of the wallpaper designs.

• Reply Ingrid Jansen March 16, 2010 at 3:59 am

Found this post through Bloesem and it’s amazing.
    I am repeatedly amazed at what those Scandinavians can do to an interior.

sköna dagar :)
    Ingrid

• Reply Annemarie August 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

I also a total fan of retrovilla. She has opened a shop en Copenhagen and it´s fabulous, my favorite is the handmade boxes with vintage wallpaper.