Etsy Faves

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

February 2, 2010

Well hello there friends! How are you today? Having a good February so far? Today was busy for me, but a good busy so I’m not complaining. It feels good to be back home with my cozy laptop to sit here before you and share some Etsy finds for the week. I’ve been thinking about this while out and about today… who can I feature this week? And these five shops came to mind. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Kiersten Essenpreis is an artist/illustrator living in Brooklyn who is quite imaginative with her whimsical prints. Some of her clients include GQ, The New York Times, LA Weekly, Paper Magazine, Nylon Magazine, and Coach Handbags so Kiersten’s work just may be familiar to you for a reason!

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Studio Flower Power in Canada creates cards pretty enough to frame using digital imagery, hand drawings and real pressed flowers on each one.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

I have a few girlfriends who are pregnant and I keep looking for something handmade and special to give to them… these knit hats and baby booties from Mama Rosa’s just may be what I’m looking for! How I love hats with ears…

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Krize and her “smiling shop” as she calls it is a Lithuanian children’s book illustrator living in Spain and selling mostly her illustrations as prints and accessories. They are so sweet how can you not smile. :)

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Indobay creates modern hand-printed textiles with a simple touch for the home. There is beauty in this work because it is not made by a machine but with love by hand — everything has unique character and one-of-a-kind charm.

(images: linked to their sources above)

• Reply Livi February 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm

studio flower power = wowza. love your blog!

• Reply Liz February 2, 2010 at 4:40 pm

What great picks! I especially love the baby items, too bad my ‘babies’ are too big. I love hats with ears on babies too!

• Reply thedoodlegirl February 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm

LOVE that banner with child’s name. SO darling and refreshing palette.
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Illustration Friday: Focus =-.

• Reply tinypaperheart February 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm

those knit baby booties are adorable!

• Reply Asia February 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm

ooooo, I love the illustrations by Kiersten!
    .-= Asia´s last blog pocket: cherry blossom girl =-.

• Reply leslie schor February 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm

love kiersten’s illustrations! visited her etsy shop and purchased the drawing titled “infectious” for our master bedroom. kind of a valentine’s gift for the both my hubby and i. i love the simplicity and romanticism of the illustrations. definitely have my eye on a couple more, but for my little girl’s room. thanks for featuring her! i know i read design blogs for a reason =)

• Reply Lori February 2, 2010 at 9:58 pm

These are great picks! Those booties and hats are adorable! And the “smiling shop” is very infectious. I love the last print best. So pretty. :-)
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Fun News! =-.

• Reply Sheila February 2, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Oh, I loved these picks, especially the knitted baby booties and hats, they are absolutely darling! Would make wonderful baby shower gifts.

• Reply Sheila February 2, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I love your Tuesday picks. The baby booties and hats are just darling and would make such sweet baby shower gifts.

• Reply Melissa February 2, 2010 at 11:28 pm

beautiful beautiful post

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 3, 2010 at 12:22 am

YAY! I love etsy take 5 tuesdays SO much! And as much as I troll etsy, you always find fresh things I haven’t seen! Love it! Thanks darling, these are all beautiful shops and I must rush off now to do some favoriting! :)
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by art on flickr =-.

• Reply blue bicicletta February 3, 2010 at 1:14 am

What darling booties and hats from Mama Rosa’s! I’ll have to keep those in mind next time a baby comes along. Fabulous lighting in those pictures. I think good lighting in general makes me want to buy things.
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..In Appreciation of the Slow Build =-.

• Reply Julia February 3, 2010 at 6:51 am

Oh I just love the Krize illustrations and the Indobay stuff. So pretty. Need my own flat (not shared with other people) soon so I can have pretty stuff like that.

(Just discovered your blog, it’s incredible. Come visit mine. ;) )
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..riding the tube =-.

• Reply Aansy February 3, 2010 at 8:55 am

lovey shoes and baby caps. awesome thanks for sharing.

• Reply Kristena Derrick February 3, 2010 at 1:07 pm

These are all lovely! I especially love Studio Flower Power’s work. :)
    .-= Kristena Derrick´s last blog ..ALRIGHT photograph 4 x 6 =-.

• Reply eva February 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Oh I love Krize! Her style is excellent and “unverwechselbar”!!! Besides she is one of the nicest girls to bump into :)))
    .-= eva´s last blog ..after spending hours at The Sartorialist =-.

• Reply krize February 4, 2010 at 8:06 am

Thanks so much for this post and for your beautiful coments!!! :)

• Reply gnomeangel February 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I think Studio Flower Power may be infringing on copyright – those images look a LOT like the ones that produce and sell via iStock….

• Reply decor8 February 5, 2010 at 3:40 am

gnomeangel – Thanks for the tip but just a little note – be careful who you call out on things like this without proof. It’s best to write to them personally than to comment publicly on a blog because it can be viewed as defamation (in this case libel) if it’s not actually true.

• Reply Ariel February 6, 2010 at 1:45 am

seems to me like it’s not the wisest choice to put that fan in a children’s room (that is if it still runs) – little fingers could easily slip through.

• Reply Leo February 7, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hello decor8, gnomeangel and everybody else,

gnomeangel is right in pointing out that studio flower power is indeed using my copyrighted creations on her website and products. As for infringements, I honestly can’t tell since once I put my work for sale at several microstock agencies, it becomes impossible to cross-check type of licenses sold against use of the images.

Regardless, there is one thing though that truly saddens me and that is the “tone” or approach many people assume while using my content in their projects, leaving the impression to others that they have created the art from scratch, navigating to a gray area where they almost (proudly) assume authorship of *my* work or at least leave such a strong impression of that being the case, when we all know that it would be so easy to avoid by simply adding a reference and/or link to the used sources.

So I apologize, decor8, but I disagree with you about not keeping this discussion public, after all the success these people make by leading their customers to believe that they are the creative minds behind my work is public and real… just as real as their profit.

LittleLion Studio

• Reply decor8 February 7, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Leo – This saddens me to hear and I hope that you can work this out directly with that person.

• Reply Jackie February 17, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’m Jackie behind Studio Flower Power.
    Just read these comments now and am also very saddened, perhaps I did not do my research correctly and have contacted Leo in order to discuss the situation.

I am not trying to leave any impression of the images being my work, I thought by purchasing the designs they were mine to do with what I wish and giving credit to the designer was not necessary. It seems I may have been mistaken. It’s too bad that I wasn’t contacted directly…I did not even know that I was featured on this blog until a friend told me today….

It is NOT in my nature to profit from other people.

• Reply decor8 February 17, 2010 at 10:12 am

Jackie thank you for addressing this, I’m really glad that you did! You seem so sincere, I’m sure you can talk to them and work something out.

• Reply Leo February 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Just a quick update…
    I have been contacted by Jackie from Studio Flower Power and I am glad to inform that everything has been sorted out.
    Like many others, I am sure, there was no malice but a lack of understanding of all the licensing terms involved in Royalty-Free. After a pleasant exchange of messages, we came to a satisfactory settlement and a much more knowledgeable consumer! :)
    So there you go, a happy end!

• Reply decor8 February 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

Leo this is great. Also makes one stop and think before commenting on blogs in the future when it comes to calling someone out without all the facts – it’s ALWAYS best to approach the person whom you have an issue with FIRST, in a professional manner, versus leaving potentially harmful comments on blogs.