Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Well hello there friends! How are you today? Having a good February so far? Today was busy for me, but a good busy so I’m not complaining. It feels good to be back home with my cozy laptop to sit here before you and share some Etsy finds for the week. I’ve been thinking about this while out and about today… who can I feature this week? And these five shops came to mind. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Kiersten Essenpreis is an artist/illustrator living in Brooklyn who is quite imaginative with her whimsical prints. Some of her clients include GQ, The New York Times, LA Weekly, Paper Magazine, Nylon Magazine, and Coach Handbags so Kiersten’s work just may be familiar to you for a reason!

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Studio Flower Power in Canada creates cards pretty enough to frame using digital imagery, hand drawings and real pressed flowers on each one.

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

I have a few girlfriends who are pregnant and I keep looking for something handmade and special to give to them… these knit hats and baby booties from Mama Rosa’s just may be what I’m looking for! How I love hats with ears…

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Krize and her “smiling shop” as she calls it is a Lithuanian children’s book illustrator living in Spain and selling mostly her illustrations as prints and accessories. They are so sweet how can you not smile. :)

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Indobay creates modern hand-printed textiles with a simple touch for the home. There is beauty in this work because it is not made by a machine but with love by hand — everything has unique character and one-of-a-kind charm.

(images: linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on February 02, 2010

1. Livi commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 4:33pm

studio flower power = wowza. love your blog!

2. Liz commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 4:40pm

What great picks! I especially love the baby items, too bad my ‘babies’ are too big. I love hats with ears on babies too!

3. thedoodlegirl commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 4:47pm

LOVE that banner with child’s name. SO darling and refreshing palette.
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Illustration Friday: Focus =-.

4. tinypaperheart commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 4:58pm

those knit baby booties are adorable!

5. Asia commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 5:13pm

ooooo, I love the illustrations by Kiersten!
    .-= Asia´s last blog ..fashion pocket: cherry blossom girl =-.

6. leslie schor commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 5:50pm

love kiersten’s illustrations! visited her etsy shop and purchased the drawing titled “infectious” for our master bedroom. kind of a valentine’s gift for the both my hubby and i. i love the simplicity and romanticism of the illustrations. definitely have my eye on a couple more, but for my little girl’s room. thanks for featuring her! i know i read design blogs for a reason =)

7. Lori commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 9:58pm

These are great picks! Those booties and hats are adorable! And the “smiling shop” is very infectious. I love the last print best. So pretty. :-)
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Fun News! =-.

8. Sheila commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 11:12pm

Oh, I loved these picks, especially the knitted baby booties and hats, they are absolutely darling! Would make wonderful baby shower gifts.

9. Sheila commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 11:15pm

I love your Tuesday picks. The baby booties and hats are just darling and would make such sweet baby shower gifts.

10. Melissa commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 11:28pm

beautiful beautiful post

11. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 3rd, 2010 at 12:22am

YAY! I love etsy take 5 tuesdays SO much! And as much as I troll etsy, you always find fresh things I haven’t seen! Love it! Thanks darling, these are all beautiful shops and I must rush off now to do some favoriting! :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by art on flickr =-.

12. blue bicicletta commented
    February 3rd, 2010 at 1:14am

What darling booties and hats from Mama Rosa’s! I’ll have to keep those in mind next time a baby comes along. Fabulous lighting in those pictures. I think good lighting in general makes me want to buy things.
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..In Appreciation of the Slow Build =-.

13. Julia commented
    February 3rd, 2010 at 6:51am

Oh I just love the Krize illustrations and the Indobay stuff. So pretty. Need my own flat (not shared with other people) soon so I can have pretty stuff like that.

(Just discovered your blog, it’s incredible. Come visit mine. ;) )
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..riding the tube =-.

14. Aansy commented
    February 3rd, 2010 at 8:55am

lovey shoes and baby caps. awesome thanks for sharing.

15. Kristena Derrick commented
    February 3rd, 2010 at 1:07pm

These are all lovely! I especially love Studio Flower Power’s work. :)
    .-= Kristena Derrick´s last blog ..ALRIGHT photograph 4 x 6 =-.

16. eva commented
    February 3rd, 2010 at 3:04pm

Oh I love Krize! Her style is excellent and “unverwechselbar”!!! Besides she is one of the nicest girls to bump into :)))
    .-= eva´s last blog ..after spending hours at The Sartorialist =-.

17. krize commented
    February 4th, 2010 at 8:06am

Thanks so much for this post and for your beautiful coments!!! :)

18. gnomeangel commented
    February 4th, 2010 at 9:01pm

I think Studio Flower Power may be infringing on copyright – those images look a LOT like the ones that http://littlelionstudio.com/ produce and sell via iStock….

19. decor8 commented
    February 5th, 2010 at 3:40am

gnomeangel – Thanks for the tip but just a little note – be careful who you call out on things like this without proof. It’s best to write to them personally than to comment publicly on a blog because it can be viewed as defamation (in this case libel) if it’s not actually true.

20. Ariel commented
    February 6th, 2010 at 1:45am

seems to me like it’s not the wisest choice to put that fan in a children’s room (that is if it still runs) – little fingers could easily slip through.

21. Leo commented
    February 7th, 2010 at 10:28am

Hello decor8, gnomeangel and everybody else,

gnomeangel is right in pointing out that studio flower power is indeed using my copyrighted creations on her website and products. As for infringements, I honestly can’t tell since once I put my work for sale at several microstock agencies, it becomes impossible to cross-check type of licenses sold against use of the images.

Regardless, there is one thing though that truly saddens me and that is the “tone” or approach many people assume while using my content in their projects, leaving the impression to others that they have created the art from scratch, navigating to a gray area where they almost (proudly) assume authorship of *my* work or at least leave such a strong impression of that being the case, when we all know that it would be so easy to avoid by simply adding a reference and/or link to the used sources.

So I apologize, decor8, but I disagree with you about not keeping this discussion public, after all the success these people make by leading their customers to believe that they are the creative minds behind my work is public and real… just as real as their profit.

Leo
    LittleLion Studio

22. decor8 commented
    February 7th, 2010 at 3:20pm

Leo – This saddens me to hear and I hope that you can work this out directly with that person.

23. Jackie commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 10:06am

I’m Jackie behind Studio Flower Power.
    Just read these comments now and am also very saddened, perhaps I did not do my research correctly and have contacted Leo in order to discuss the situation.

I am not trying to leave any impression of the images being my work, I thought by purchasing the designs they were mine to do with what I wish and giving credit to the designer was not necessary. It seems I may have been mistaken. It’s too bad that I wasn’t contacted directly…I did not even know that I was featured on this blog until a friend told me today….

It is NOT in my nature to profit from other people.

Jackie

24. decor8 commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 10:12am

Jackie thank you for addressing this, I’m really glad that you did! You seem so sincere, I’m sure you can talk to them and work something out.

25. Leo commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 7:37pm

Just a quick update…
    I have been contacted by Jackie from Studio Flower Power and I am glad to inform that everything has been sorted out.
    Like many others, I am sure, there was no malice but a lack of understanding of all the licensing terms involved in Royalty-Free. After a pleasant exchange of messages, we came to a satisfactory settlement and a much more knowledgeable consumer! :)
    So there you go, a happy end!

26. decor8 commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 8:18am

Leo this is great. Also makes one stop and think before commenting on blogs in the future when it comes to calling someone out without all the facts – it’s ALWAYS best to approach the person whom you have an issue with FIRST, in a professional manner, versus leaving potentially harmful comments on blogs.