For Like Ever Poster from Village

The September issue of Domino magazine popped into my mailbox on Saturday, so I spent a good portion of Sunday flipping through it, marking pages that I wanted to file away for future projects, others I tagged for discussing here today. While reading Modern Romance, about accessories designer Jessie Randall (something about her reminded me of Alison Kelly* on Project Runway), I noticed the For Like Ever poster over her fireplace (btw – it was listed for $10 in the issue, however on the Village website, it’s now $25). Did you spot that? (It’s also shown on the cover of the issue.) What did you think about it? Although I liked it because it seems that it’s personal to Jessie since she knows the designer, I wouldn’t run out and buy one for my home simply because Jessie had one.

Which brings me to an interesting topic worthy of discussion… Just how influenced are you by things you see in the home of someone that you admire? Will you buy it simply to ‘feel’ more like them, like you are living more of their lifestyle? I have had clients in the past who want their homes to look more like someone else lived there vs. themselves. I wonder about this all the time, why are we so attracted to the designs of others, yet we don’t always follow our own creative vision and design our homes around our unique life?

Comments?

*Psst: I peeked at Alison’s website which says, “Alison Kelly of Dahl will be launching an exclusive collection for www.shopbop.com during New York Fashion Week. Stay tuned for futher details…” Hmmmm. Do you think she makes it then in the final 3?

(image from village)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on August 14, 2006

1. Anonymous commented
    August 14th, 2006 at 9:05pm

believe it or not there actually was a $10 poster for sale. it’s sold out now though. i stumbled across it in their new products category.

no, i wouldn’t buy anything because a certain person owned it. although it looks cool in the photo, i know i’d be bored with it fast.

funny, my copy came on saturday too.

2. Another Shade of Grey commented
    August 14th, 2006 at 9:22pm

It’s funny you mentioned this because I was thinking how awkward and out of place the poster looked over her fireplace. It seems more suited for dorm room decor, IMO.

As to personal decor, my home is 100% my own personal canvas, which is kindly tolerated by my husband.

3. lharwin commented
    August 14th, 2006 at 10:26pm

That seems like the entire concept of “My Celebrity Home” on Style. It’s a little scary, actually — people decorating a room in their house to look exactly like a celebrity’s? That, and the stars they’ve found so far have been pretty B-list, making the enthusiasm for the celebrity that’s being highlighted seem pretty staged.

4. -katieonashstreet commented
    August 14th, 2006 at 10:59pm

I think sometimes, when you admire someone’s style, you look at something they like or have in a different way. I have a friend who is very fashion forward and when we shop together, she may show interest in something i have passed over. Knowing that she finds beauty in it can sometimes allow me to see it in a different light. Also, i think with magazines like Domino. They sometimes put products in spaces that you really can’t go wrong with. Seeing that poster in a 1980’s beige carpeted box living room over a red brick fireplace with brass accents wouldn’t make it look nearly as attractive. Make sense?

5. decor8 commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 12:41am

oh my goodness, totally – my celebrity home is all about that. i just don’t get it. it’s borderline obsessive. it’s almost like you wonder if these people have a life outside of celeb worship and their day jobs. very sad. i don’t sit in judgement of anyone, i certainly have plenty of things that i’m into that may be viewed upon as cheesy or offbeat, but i think celebrity home is mega cheeseball.

i don’t get it. really.

why?

6. Kristina commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 12:56am

I like the piece, but wouldn’t buy something like that just b/c it was in a magazine in a cool home. Actually, it might make me less likely to buy it… it would be more “oh the poster from Domino” rather then something I found on my own.

7. decor8 commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 2:22am

katie i agree. you could put almost ANYTHING in that room and make it amazing. I could take everything in my current living room and pop it into that room and viola! design mag worthy. But, in the current room I have, it wouldn’t make the same impression at all. i would like to see domino go out on a limb a little (for design mags that is) and actually take a crap apartment and show how it can be renovated. take an apartment from one of those brick apartment buildings, the shoebox floor plan, beige carpet, white walls, a red brick fireplace… You know, apartments that mimic the way MANY readers actually live.

My frustration with MOST magazines in the US right now is that they are so NYC/Brooklyn centric. I’m sorry, but I don’t think that’s the only part of our country that is stylish. I’ve been to TONS of cities here that are amazing – why not show some spaces from readers/designers in OTHER areas of the country. Why is it ALWAYS NYC/Brooklyn. It’s like these people live in a bubble and the rest of the country doesn’t exist. I think that it’s frustrating for non-NYC readers (aka 90% of their demographic!).

8. jen commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 12:41pm

I had to blog about this issue as well ? I thought it was one of the best. I loved the poster, I would buy it because I heart pink and that is something my girlfriends and I would say in junior high. I do sometimes see pieces in others homes in magazines and would really love to own the piece ? but not because that person does ? because it is a direct reflection of my design aesthetic. I believe that a home should be a direct reflection of who you are ? I especially love pieces with a story that you relate to on a multitude of levels ? not because it was in so and so?s home? and yes ? celeb worship is completely beyond me.

9. laura commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 2:02pm

I think if you identify with someone’s personal style, then see certain items they have purchased in that vein, or something they like, it makes sense that you would be interested in perhaps buying it or something like it to complement your own style. The whole design blog concept is kind of the same thing. Why do we bother reading design blogs if we do not trust or identify with the opinions of the blogger and think they might have chosen to highlight things that would interest us?

Also–thanks Holly for mentioning the NY-Brooklyn-centric coverage in most shelter magazines. I would love to see creative homes in other metropolitan areas–as well as dwellings of suburbanites who have broken the mold!

10. Rachel commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 3:44pm

I have to say I don’t like copy cats. I wouldn’t buy something because someone else had it but if I like the concept, I may mimick it in my own way- add my own spice to it. I had a neighbor who recently moved but she would copy me in everything from the way my living room was set up to buying the same door mat! I was furious because it is my style… yes flattering that she copied me but it got to be annoying when she would get her hair cut just like mine as well. Freak! So I don’t like copy cats. I think you can respectively take someone elses idea and add your spin to it. If we didn’t take others ideas then we wouldn’t have so many design and home magazines out in the world today. Sharing ideas is cool and what is even cooler is taking an idea and using your own creativity to make it work in your home.

Also, I don’t subscribe to Domino, am I missing out??

11. kate commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 5:18pm

1. i wouldn’t buy something just because a celebrity had it in a particular space, though i do enjoy getting ideas from things i see in magazines. i agree with katie — it’s always interesting when you are able to see something you might have shrugged off in a new way.

2. i am not bothered by the new york centrism. the simple fact is that many magazines are published in ny, and since the city is a global shopping capital, everything is readily available here (not the case in other cities). i lived in the midwest until recently, and it was rare to find something in a magazine that wasn’t available online. some magazines do a great job of highlighting other cities (ex. lucky). meanwhile, ny remains the publishing, artistic, and consumer capital of the country, so i the ny focus comes with the territory. lamenting that fact seems a bit of a waste of energy.

with that said, i need to emphasize that i do not subscribe to this idea that new york is the center of the universe. i recently graduated from art school here in new york and it was infuriating that we were always asked to focus on an exclusively ny audience when developing ads and concepts. not being a native new yorker, i objected and was regularly scoffed at. however, that’s an issue when developing ideas that need to sell beyond this particular metropolis. when it comes to shopping, the ny centrism makes practical sense — many artists and designers could survive entirely on ny product consumption without ever broadening their market. i don’t think that the magazines are saying that ny is the only stylish city — i think it’s more of a practical issue concerning proximity and availability.

12. becky commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 8:45pm

I guess I can’t really relate to someone who has no personal style/taste, good or bad. there’s another really bad HGTV show where they copy an “inspiration room.” It’s the most UNinspiring thing I’ve ever seen!

I love to surround myself with things that I love, and they make me so happy. For instance, I painted my living room pool-bottom blue (kind of an accident). I loved it, but 99% of people who saw it shrieked in horror! Who cares? I am the one who had to live in it and I loved it.

I love the interior designs Jonathan Adler is coming up with now – he breaks out of the whole neutral/black/white/stark thing and has fun with everything he does.

As for the poster, it obviously meant something to her but I can’t see buying something because it was in Domino. On the other hand, I was very inspired by that fantastic reupholstered sofa on their very first cover and it made me think about fabrics and reupholstering potential in many new ways. In the same way, I noticed one woman had painted all of the doors in her home black and I thought it looked great – I had never thought of doing that either and it totally inspired me to play copy-cat.

Don’t forget to add California to the list – everything that these mags feature that is not in NY is in CA! Elle Decor seems to worship ridiculously expensive NYC apartments and Hamptons homes.

I like Coastal Living and Cottage Living because they feature more realistic spaces than Elle D. and Met. Home. Every house in Dwell is usually great but they all look more or less the same. Domino is my very happy medium, and they tend to feature a lot of single women in their 30s, which is my demographic.

13. decor8 commented
    August 15th, 2006 at 9:26pm

jen, laura, rachel (et al),

i agree with you ladies totally. sometimes i see something in someones home and want it in my house, not because THEY have it, but because i indentify with it very strongly.

i agree, copy cats totally stink. i see them all the time in the design world, especially with the big chain stores ‘knocking off’ designer style (like poor jonathan adler, he is always being knocked off). it’s one thing to see what someone else is doing, but because it doesn’t suit your style, you decide to do a ‘better’ version of it according to your taste. i guess what i mean is that we see a lamp shape we like, but we don’t like the materials used or the color – just the shape. as a designer, do we steal the shape and do our own thing to the rest? to me, i think that is a question of morals. i couldn’t do it. ever. but if a designer altered the shape a bit and didn’t something totally original to it, well i guess that’s fair game.

it’s the same with the bevy of owl and bird motifs out there, the tons of ‘indie’ online shops, the slew of design blogs… no one can stake claim and say ‘i was the first therefore i am the best and all others are a copy of me’. that’s just insecurity and a bunch of rubbish. just because one person does something doesn’t mean a million others hadn’t already thought about doing it YEARS in advance. one just did it a little sooner.

i think soooo much is involved when you talk about ‘stealing’ someones style. i mean, was it really something they invented in the first place, or did they in fact ‘steal’ it from some other designer. it’s hard to trace all of this.

to me, clear cut knock offs are wrong. faux kate spade is wrong.

i feel like i’m starting to drift away from the subject. sorry… to get back to the point, i think that it’s one thing to copy someone (eek sicko – did you see single white female?), another thing to be inspired by them and invent something that, in your eyes, is better.

holly

14. Z. Finortingate commented
    August 16th, 2006 at 12:19am

I didn’t care for the poster, but I’ve been amazed at how many ideas in Domino have inspired me. In the Sept. issue, I love the chrome file cabinet under Michelle Sanders’ desk, and I plan to get one to use as a side table in my living room. I know what you mean about the New York bias in the magazine, but it’s not just the place, it’s the occupations, as well. It’s like that in fashion mags, too. When they interview or feature “average” people, it’s always freelance writers or publicists or actors. Doesn’t a city of 8 million have its fair share of accountants and dentists and (in New York, for Pete’s sake) real estate agents? P.S. I rent a suburban DC “crap” apartment, but places like this don’t allow renovations, or even paint. Still, the decor is coming together and I try not to be jealous of my NY counterparts.

15. jaye commented
    August 16th, 2006 at 2:25am

i personally would not buy something simply because someone else has it no matter how cool i think they or it is…when i buy for my space it has to speak to me specifically, connect to something that matters to me..

16. Anonymous commented
    August 17th, 2006 at 8:59am

Am I the only one who thought the poster was cool? I don’t care if they found it first, I think I would be attracted to it if I saw it at some art fair. I remember Domino published their “rules” in the first issue, and one of them was “there’s no shame in stealing/replicating the things you love in other people’s homes.” I personally agree! It’s not that I want to be them, but if I see something that works really well, and something that I like, why not get the same thing? The only potential problem would be with replicating the things from the homes of close friends, but magazines? Isn’t that the sole reason people buy shelter magazines – to be inspired and to maybe find something that potentially could work in their home, like that silly poster?

17. decor8 commented
    August 17th, 2006 at 4:03pm

Oh I liked the poster a lot – that’s why I blogged about it – but as I was writing about it, I started thinking about the thousands of people that read Domino and wondered if this coming was going to sell out of posters now since they were featured in Domino — which THEN got me to thinking about how SOME people want to buy anything they see that is popular at the moment or makes them feel like they are a part of some lifestyle. NOT EVERYONE is like this, I was just thinking about the few who are and wondered what other decor8 readers thought about this.

18. melanienyc commented
    August 17th, 2006 at 9:28pm

i think you all are bringing up valid and interesting points.
    as far as the poster goes..i adored it…it is pink, girly, funny, modern, and well it suits my personality.

i thought it was perfect in that room–it looked great & it meant something to her personally.
    the fact that it looks great in her fabulous room doesn?t mean it will fit with my own d?cor, and I am certainly not going to redesign my apartment to mirror hers just so a $10-$25 poster will ?fit the room?
    2 years ago when I was single college student living without my boyfriend (who incidentally is opposed to all things pink) I may have ran out and bought this poster to display prominently in my apartment. I don?t think doing that is bad, people are driven to purchase by all sorts or reasons. Sure there are people who cannot make a purchase without first ensuring that it is approved by their favorite magazine, but I think those people are in the minority. Certainly, there are people who lack their own personal style and instead live somewhere in copycat heaven?these same people will throw the poster out next month when the new issue hits newsstands.
    I am not one that has to have something simply because it was featured on the cover of a magazine. I think most readers take away things from Domino (& other magazines for that matter) as inspiration?and would obviously only implement things that suit their personal taste, style, and budget.
    For instance, if I see a $500 lamp in Domino, sure I may like it or think it would be perfect, but $500 for a LAMP is in another price range universe (for that I would rather just buy a dress or a pair of fabulous shoes!) Instead of going out to purchase the lamp I may use the shape, color, or other features of the lamp to find something similar through other retailers or sellers.

In any event I would consider purchasing this for my 18 year old sister who will be entering college as a freshman this fall. Like I said before, I think this poster is perfect for a single girl living on her own, or a teenager living at home.

19. thaniya commented
    August 18th, 2006 at 12:09am

interesting subject. i agree with most here. however, for some odd reason i feel that if i see a pillow on the cover of domino that i like, looks good in my home, and i can afford, i probably would get it without thinking that i just copied someone. on the other hand if it is a poster or artwork like the one discussed, i would not even consider it. i feel that the things you put on your wall should be unique and have personal meaning to you more than just decorating items.

20. Anonymous commented
    February 4th, 2007 at 7:33pm

I came across the image of this poster in Flickr. I have not seen the issue of Domino that featured the poster. I love the poster for several different reasons, but mostly because it makes me smile. I’ve been on a quest to buy artwork for my house that is light-hearted. There are so many beautiful prints and paintings out there, but many of them seem to be so melancholy. Now, I’m hesitant to buy it because I don’t want to have something in my home that “everyone” (whatever that means) else has. If you know of other similar artwork, can you please post some links?

In a post above, you mentioned that you would like Domino (or another magazine) to “take a crap apartment and show how it can be renovated.” Do you think they did that in the “The Domino Design Project?”

(I just saw your shop is open. I know what I’ll be doing for the next hour. Oops! I just bought “The Cutting Edge of Wallpaper” this morning. I’m so bummed I didn’t wait to buy it through your store.)