decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archana’s Vibrant Home in India

I was so excited when an email arrived from decor8 reader Archana Srinivas who lives in Bangalore, India. She wants to share her colorful space with us here today on decor8! Here’s what she writes:

“I don’t know if you have received any mails from India. I am a regular reader of your wonderful blog. I agree with Danielle from the Netherlands that by showcasing homes from all over the world you get to see how people design their homes & what really goes into it.”

Archana continues, “India is a land of contrasts, culturally rich & very colourful. I live in Bangalore, India with my husband and my beautiful 4 year old daughter. We live in a 3-bedroom 1500 sq.ft house. Here you will find an amalgamation of traditional old-world charm with modern day luxury. The colours used are yellows & oranges. We have used a lot of antique chests, brass lamps & wood to create the effect.”

“The centre table in the living area is actually an old swing used for babies. We turned it upside-down and converted it into a table. We have used bright yellow ceramic tiles on top. The center of interest is the cluster of nine terracotta tiles which I hand-painted with poster colours. The antique door in the living room has been restored from an old demolished house. The triangular space on either sides has been created for placing lamps. (This is usually the practice in south Indian villages.)”

Living Room

“The motifs on the walls in my daughter’s room has been hand painted & also the lamp. The drawers store her toys and also doubles up a sitting area,” Archana says.

Daughter’s Bedroom

She continues, “The dining area has a crockery cabinet which we use as a mini bar for entertaining. The kitchen door has been cut into half to keep my daughter out while I cook and to give a feeling of space.”

Dining Area

“The 3rd bedroom has been converted into the study where we have a tiled love-seat with vibrant red upholstery and you can also see my workstation which is a huge antique writing table.”

Study

If you have any questions for Archana about her home, please ask in the comments section below so she can reply. If you’d like to share your home, or have a design dilemma, please write to me at decor8blog[at]yahoo[dot]com. I hope you’re enjoying this new feature on decor8 – touring reader spaces!

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on August 25, 2006

1. esquise commented
    August 25th, 2006 at 5:23pm

So warm and colourful house. I like these colours on the walls as I did on some wall of mine.i think India is always a great inspiration. have a nice week end.

2. Carlene commented
    August 25th, 2006 at 6:47pm

Beautiful! I am loving yellow these days, with that punch of warm reds and browns.

3. danielle commented
    August 25th, 2006 at 7:38pm

I love the mix of traditional and modern elements. The yellow colour of the walls is very beautiful with the wooden, antique furniture. Thanks for showing your beautiful house Archana. Isn’t it great to see houses from all over the world?

4. pbcb la commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 12:06am

I love this new feature of showing people’s homes! The colors of her house feel so warm and tranquil-

5. mcaplan commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 1:58am

I love the warmth of this home! It is so cozy and bright. Thank you for sharing it!

6. thaniya commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 7:00am

Homes from around the world – what a fantastic idea (yet again) ;-). I love the color choices on the wall and the spaciousness feel to the place. All the personal touches and unique waysof using various elements make this very inspiring. Thanks~

7. Arch commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 7:36am

Thanks Holly for coming up with this great feature.

I thank you all for posting such wonderful comments.

We decided to use the yellows & oranges to brighten up the spaces during the evenings. Our home is east-facing and the morning sunlight streaming in does wonders to the colours.

8. Meg commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 6:16pm

Your home is absolutely beautiful. I love the colors you use and the clean lines throughout. Looks like something out of a magazine!

9. jules ikeahacker commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 4:22am

Gorgeous. Am loving your living room framed pictures in the orange painted box. what a neat idea – frames within a frame. And also the day bed in your study – lovely, lovely.

thanks Holly for this new awesome feature.

10. Camille commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 12:56pm

The way you used lighting really makes it seems so warm and inviting. Great job!!

11. cream commented
    September 11th, 2006 at 11:53pm

i try to recreate india at home in new york. i would love those lovely antiques ( cannot afford them to buy here ) where do you buy that in india ?

Those lamps are wonderful.

12. Nitya commented
    April 25th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Hi Archana, I love the way you have blended Indian tradition with modern conveniences. It looks so warm and beautiful, I am really impressed and inspired. Nitya

13. rochambeau commented
    June 15th, 2007 at 8:50pm

I just found Arch’s blog today through Blue’s blog.
    Her house is spectacular! So is your blog!

14. Gillian @ Indigo Blue commented
    August 28th, 2007 at 2:11am

I lurk here a lot sometimes without commenting, however, I must say, Archana’s home is stunning. Simple, elegant and bright. Uncluttered yet warm.
    I love the oranges, such a welcoming palette.
    xo
    Blue

15. nay-k commented
    October 10th, 2007 at 8:38am

this is a wonderful appartment! so inspiring!

16. lakshmi commented
    November 3rd, 2007 at 11:51am

Hi Archana,

I m planning to re-do my bedroom in ethnic style. I loved the yellows in your hall – i would want to use some contrasts in my bedroom.. any thoughts?

17. Starlight* commented
    January 3rd, 2008 at 4:56pm

I’d love to see these images in a bigger size… please please please !!!

BTW I read Rang too :)

18. priya commented
    February 2nd, 2008 at 4:37pm

gorgeous house archana! very tastefully done up.

19. Muriel commented
    March 29th, 2008 at 12:12pm

I love your decor and blog!

20. adi commented
    May 16th, 2008 at 5:29am

thanks holly for this beautiful blog… and as for arch, m a regular at her blog, just wish to have a home as beautiful as hers :)

21. kunju's mom commented
    June 29th, 2008 at 5:33pm

hi there.. i just came across your blog while i was looking for references for indian home designs.. i love the space in your daughters bedroom with storage cum sitting area.. i was also planning to do something similar for my 2 yr old’s room.. your blog also seems nice with all interesting indian art stuff… Cheers!!

22. Sangitha commented
    July 19th, 2008 at 11:20am

Hi archana,
    Sangitha here,greatly enjoyed visiting your home.very tastefully done.It suited the saying”Everything in place,a place for everything”
    a very traditional,classy home.
    cheers!!

23. Madhavi commented
    September 11th, 2008 at 1:59pm

Hi Archana!
    what a beautiful home.I loved your idea of converting a swing to a centre table.We have one such in our home passed on from ancestors.Thanks for sharing with us.
    madhavi

24. Deepa commented
    October 13th, 2008 at 2:24am

Archana,
    Beautiful home, very warm. I love the wall colors.

Where did you get the wall brackets on which you have placed books, in your study room. I am looking for ethnic looking wall brackets.

25. Subathra commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 8:14am

Hi Archana,
    Beautiful home, very tastefully done…everything finds a plce for itself….would love if you can help me with some ideas in decorating my home….

26. vimla commented
    November 12th, 2008 at 4:46am

What a beautiful home! I am in the process of building my own, so I can understand the work that must have gone into it. Thanks for sharing the pics. As for me, I am still in the process of sourcing ethnic material for my house. A wooden swing, some athangudi tiles and an old antique pillar.. Hope I can find it here in Hyderabad…

27. Simran Arora commented
    November 12th, 2008 at 8:10am

Beautiful home……its a home not a house !!:)

28. shabeena quraishi commented
    December 1st, 2008 at 10:37am

hello,archana,really impressed by yr home,iam also in the process of bldng a hm,and still in finishng stages,lovely ideas,iam always in search of indian ideas put along with mine,and iam also new to this site and blogging and all……

29. janaki commented
    February 3rd, 2009 at 6:30am

hi archana

I was viewing ur house photos here.They r classy.I always wanted my home also to have a touch of south indian feel cuz me also a southindian.I have bout a 2240sq apt in mumbai.I want some good ideas to decorate my home similar to urs.Can u suggest some ideas .Ideas i mean like not expensive stuff jus like wall hanging,paint colour etc.Right now i have basic items at home like 6 seater wooden glass tp dining table n normal 5 seater sofaset.as yet not bout anything for the house.i want to get ideas b4 i do up my home cuz my home dsin theme is basic southindian treditioanl house.plz help me with some ideas.

30. janaki commented
    February 3rd, 2009 at 7:14am

hi

nice done house archana.my taste of deco is smilar to yours.i want to keep the house as simple as posible yet treditional with a southindian there.well i have big hall right now i have put jus a 6 seater dining set n 5 seater normal sofa set.what else cud look nice can u suggest some colour for wall along with other deco that will look good n simple for my home.

cheers
    janki

31. ath007 commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:13pm

Hello there,
    I would have to say, Archana’s home looks fantastic. Warm, Cozy, Classy, REALLY Neat and Uncluttered. The rooms look really big with all that space… :)
    The use of colors were fantastic. I liked the hand-made paintings in the living room. That kept me staring at it for a bit while. The alignment of each and every thing in the room is so perfect like, you made the house so much that the furniture’s measurements were considered… a space for everything and anything.

32. janaki commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 9:39pm

yet w8ing for a feedbak from u archana.

33. Arch commented
    February 11th, 2009 at 10:41pm

Thanks everyone:-)

Please feel free to get inspired and I can help you with information to certain things, but to suggest ideas for homes would be a little dicey.

Feel free to write to me at archanasr_2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com and will try my best to answer your queries.

Arch

34. Suman commented
    July 21st, 2009 at 4:37am

I was really impressed with the idea of turning a baby swing upside down to use it as a coffee table. Really GR8.
    I would love to get more ideas from you.

35. akanksha p[areek commented
    August 16th, 2009 at 1:44am

hi i am a textile designer..and always want to see all collection from yamini….its really nice….i really got inspired always……..

36. Rakhi Wahee Pratap commented
    August 17th, 2009 at 11:49pm

HI, i have bought a flat in Hyderabad, i am touched by the visual treat i have experienced, will take some inspiartion.. Thank you

37. janu commented
    September 8th, 2009 at 6:43am

hi archana

i like ur house deco very much.it gives a warm comfortable feel.very neatly arraged n not clutterd.its seems very spacious too.is it cu of the arangement or due to paint effect.archana can u plz sugeest more indian treditional deco’s jus like urs.

38. Preeti commented
    September 8th, 2009 at 4:08pm

I love your house. Reminds me of mom’s house in bangalore. Love the lighting and furniture!
    .-= Preeti´s last blog ..Paneer Kali Mirch =-.

39. janu commented
    September 15th, 2009 at 5:09am

hi

if u can share more deco similar to urs plz let me know the sites i can view.

40. sheba commented
    September 15th, 2009 at 12:05pm

Got here when i was looking for some tanjore sketches..u have a lovely space..

41. Smita commented
    September 19th, 2009 at 12:49pm

I have no words to explain how excited I felt after I walked through u r home(virtually). It is indeed fantabulously done. and I am really kneen on knowing that how did you think about all these things? great color work and suberb arrangement…. I will be shifting to my new home soon.Do you have any suggestions for me…
    Thanks for wonderfull pictures….

42. subair commented
    September 28th, 2009 at 3:53am

wonderful

43. Reshmi commented
    September 29th, 2009 at 3:53am

Wow..really nice..i too like to use yellow color and its combinations…nice work archana :)

44. dr .rajesh commented
    October 27th, 2009 at 2:06pm

hi archana,
    you have a beautiful house.for the last few days i have been surfing the net for interior designs.i have a creative mindset.i do thermocol decorations,flower decorations,greeting cards pot painting.but this time before diwali i decided to paint my room all by myself.i did some murals too. this was the very first time.it was a great creative experience. the know how i got to know from some friends.i believe that to have a good interior we need not have to spend a lot of money.we just need to have a creative mind set.i am a doctor by profession.but the creativity in me gets its way out.your work is extremely beautiful.i am inspired.but i have very little knowledge in this path.it will be very nice of you if you can answer my queries.i will be very obliged.regards.
    Dr.Rajesh.

45. geetha commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:52am

hi archana
    love your home. the newer one is even better.I love the fact that you have bought all your nick nacks into your new home.I see a lot of of people not use them when they go into a new home.I am that kind of a person. you need to have a passion for things, some people buy things because they have the money.A part of yourself should be seen in your home. I would like to know where you got the wall mortifs (wooden blocks that look like a lady figure) keep me posted

46. geetha commented
    November 6th, 2009 at 5:56am

i already made my comments about this beautiful house . i made a mistake on my email . i am sending you the correct email address.

47. Niraj Palve commented
    November 8th, 2009 at 12:58am

Nice house…

48. Rashmi commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:56pm

Hi Archana,
    Your house is beautiful. I am in the process of constructing my house.
    Would you have some simple tips? I want vibrant and colorful home. Not able to decide on the colors. Can you please help.
    My floor tiles are virtrified light color and kitchen has ceramic tiles which when bought was nice wooden finish. When we laid it on the floor gives a peech tinge on the same. Can something be done abt it?

Thanks in advance
    -Rashmi S

49. Arch commented
    January 23rd, 2010 at 9:14pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the lovely comments:-)

For questions and queries about my home, please feel free to write to me at archanasr_2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com or visit my blog: http://www.rangdecor.blogspot.com for more interior design ideas from India.

Holly, you are the best:-)
    .-= Arch´s last blog ..Havelis of Shekhawati, Rajasthan. =-.

50. meenanags commented
    February 26th, 2010 at 2:29am

Hi Arachana,
    I could see my imagination build at your home.. beautiful.. classic traditional what more can i say.. usually i love fab india furnitures.. they are expensive.. yet classy.. typical maniratnam movies setup :) a traditional home with beautiful bright orange , green combination .. curtains.. aah..
    let me where did you buy these wooden furniture … what a treat for the eyes.. beautiful archana…

meena,
    bangalore

51. Neeraja commented
    March 4th, 2010 at 11:22pm

hi,

the house is excelent, i plan to send you a few pics of my house and want your suggestions on how more to improve.

Regards

Neeraja

52. Janaki commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 10:41am

I really love the tiled love seat… It is really a beautiful piece. I am curious to know where you picked this up.

53. Nilanjana commented
    April 9th, 2010 at 4:24am

Hi Archana!

Your house is just like a dream house. The furniture,the wall colours,all are so perfect that anybody wuld get an inspiration as i have got. Thanx sooo much fr sharing ur art with us. Its just fantabulous!!!!

54. indrakumar commented
    April 17th, 2010 at 7:08am

Hi Archana,

The antiques that you’ve collected are fantastic and it speaks volumes about your passision.

Can you suggest me some places in chennai to buy antiques at a reasonable rate..

55. Fathima commented
    April 17th, 2010 at 2:41pm

Just happened to come across ur blog… I am so excited about my find… This house looks so great… love the warm tones and the way everything falls into the space… book marking ur space
    .-= Fathima´s last blog ..Mutton Biryani =-.

56. jungle resorts commented
    July 6th, 2010 at 12:15pm

nice post i really like it…

57. Deepa commented
    July 27th, 2010 at 2:46am

I absolutely love your home. I think you have successfully managed to decorate intricately without cluttering. I love your style and sense of colour! you are an inspiration to me.

58. SANDHYA commented
    September 3rd, 2010 at 8:58am

Hi archana,
    I just love ur house ofr its simplicity yet very creative.
    I just see ur house photos everyday which freshens me ……i just love ur liivng room with a small money plant.Orange color in any form in any room actually brightens up & gives a warm feeling.Also i want u to sugget me how to decor a simple study room.

59. Anju commented
    September 17th, 2010 at 3:02pm

Dear Archana
    You and your house are truely an inspiration. Your house decor has definately motivated me to follow my heart when it comes to decorating my new house.

60. lalitha commented
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:14am

Archana.,
    saw some of these pics in today’s deccan herald ,or was it a diff home!?I found the flooring in the paper charmingly diff,os yellow?or mustard?the house i the pic above has white tile.please share with me your comments on tile wisdom

61. Sonali commented
    February 27th, 2011 at 3:59pm

Archana i am a lover of antique furniture and i love the way you have decorated your home.its warm and all the earthy colours are a treat to the eyes.I have a passion for Interior designing but lack the technical part of the knowledge and desire to learn.i must say that your Home is truly a beautiful home.
    – sonali

62. Bandana commented
    April 18th, 2011 at 3:07pm

Beautiful….warm and vibrant!

63. dhara commented
    May 15th, 2011 at 4:46am

The space is decorated very well. I like the traditional feel yet it is clean and calm. Where did you get the bench featured in the picture. It is really cool I like to buy one for my house and use it as a swing.

64. Sonia commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 2:09pm

Where is your living room furniture from?

65. Mina commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:09am

Oh my God! I love it so much! I want to live there!!!!!!!

66. Pinky commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:40pm

Beautiful house……

67. Namrata Thyagaraj commented
    June 18th, 2011 at 7:39am

Hello Archana ji,
    I am a student of CEPT University in Ahmedabad pursuing Masters in Interior Architecture and Design. I loved your house interiors. I am interested in showing your house for one of my Crafts and Technology assignment. I have some questions for you. I would be thankful to you if you took some time for it.
    My questions are –
    1) How old are these furnitures?
    2) Did you hire any craftspeople for making the furniture?
    3) What inspired you to amalgamate the traditional elements with new ones?
    4) What kind of experience do you feel in your house compared to other modern houses?

68. sandhya commented
    October 11th, 2011 at 9:05am

Hi archana,

I am a true lover of art….and I must say that u hav decorated ur home in a very ethnic style.Beautiful home!!the furnitures,crocerky cabinet,lamp and even the tiny money plant just makes u feel warm at home.Plz post more photos.Bye

69. jaya commented
    October 12th, 2011 at 12:42pm

the pictures are a punch of colors and creativity… i would love to have a decor like that… the way archana has light playing a role in enhancing the beauty… its marvellous.

70. rajeshri commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 5:22am

I love your bench in your study, can you tell me where you got that bench?

What is the website of that bench as I would like to get something similar
    for my foyer (entry hall).

Rajeshri

71. Tehmina commented
    March 5th, 2012 at 3:05am

I love the ethnic look of your house. Home away from home, this is what even I am aspiring to have this look for my house! Would be looking forward for ideas and tips from your blog! :)

72. Ankita commented
    March 9th, 2012 at 12:15am

What a beautiful home. Love everything that has been done in all the rooms. Such warm and beautiful colors and creative furniture ideas.

73. Nithya commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 9:05am

i love your house plan helps me withmy home planning thanks alot its great

nithya
    singapore
    Nithya´s last blog post ..Color Me Pretty: Ocean Hues

74. Nithya commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 9:07am

loveable home cannot take my eyes off

75. Shorba commented
    August 8th, 2012 at 12:52pm

I like the colours, a very warm and cosy home

76. vaishali commented
    July 23rd, 2014 at 7:12am

it was amazing…. brought my old home in front of my eyes… especially thanjavur painting,karaikudi hand made tiles, keralite lamps are really amazing…. if the wooden tables and racks were black,it would still more add the beauty in contrast to the yellow and orange wall… lovely… you brought temple to your home