Home Tours

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archana’s Vibrant Home in India

August 25, 2006

I was so excited when an email arrived from decor8 reader Archana Srinivas who lives in Bangalore, India. She wants to share her colorful space with us here today on decor8! Here’s what she writes:

“I don’t know if you have received any mails from India. I am a regular reader of your wonderful blog. I agree with Danielle from the Netherlands that by showcasing homes from all over the world you get to see how people design their homes & what really goes into it.”

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in IndiaArchana continues, “India is a land of contrasts, culturally rich & very colourful. I live in Bangalore, India with my husband and my beautiful 4 year old daughter. We live in a 3-bedroom 1500 sq.ft house. Here you will find an amalgamation of traditional old-world charm with modern day luxury. The colours used are yellows & oranges. We have used a lot of antique chests, brass lamps & wood to create the effect.”

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in India“The centre table in the living area is actually an old swing used for babies. We turned it upside-down and converted it into a table. We have used bright yellow ceramic tiles on top. The center of interest is the cluster of nine terracotta tiles which I hand-painted with poster colours. The antique door in the living room has been restored from an old demolished house. The triangular space on either sides has been created for placing lamps. (This is usually the practice in south Indian villages.)”

Living Room

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in Indiadecor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in India“The motifs on the walls in my daughter’s room has been hand painted & also the lamp. The drawers store her toys and also doubles up a sitting area,” Archana says.

Daughter’s Bedroom

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in IndiaShe continues, “The dining area has a crockery cabinet which we use as a mini bar for entertaining. The kitchen door has been cut into half to keep my daughter out while I cook and to give a feeling of space.”

Dining Area

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in India“The 3rd bedroom has been converted into the study where we have a tiled love-seat with vibrant red upholstery and you can also see my workstation which is a huge antique writing table.”

Study

decor8 reader spaces: Tour Archanas Vibrant Home in IndiaIf you have any questions for Archana about her home, please ask in the comments section below so she can reply. If you’d like to share your home, or have a design dilemma, please write to me at decor8blog[at]yahoo[dot]com. I hope you’re enjoying this new feature on decor8 – touring reader spaces!

77 Comments

• Reply esquise August 25, 2006 at 5:23 pm

So warm and colourful house. I like these colours on the walls as I did on some wall of mine.i think India is always a great inspiration. have a nice week end.

• Reply Carlene August 25, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Beautiful! I am loving yellow these days, with that punch of warm reds and browns.

• Reply danielle August 25, 2006 at 7:38 pm

I love the mix of traditional and modern elements. The yellow colour of the walls is very beautiful with the wooden, antique furniture. Thanks for showing your beautiful house Archana. Isn’t it great to see houses from all over the world?

• Reply pbcb la August 26, 2006 at 12:06 am

I love this new feature of showing people’s homes! The colors of her house feel so warm and tranquil-

• Reply mcaplan August 26, 2006 at 1:58 am

I love the warmth of this home! It is so cozy and bright. Thank you for sharing it!

• Reply thaniya August 26, 2006 at 7:00 am

Homes from around the world – what a fantastic idea (yet again) ;-). I love the color choices on the wall and the spaciousness feel to the place. All the personal touches and unique waysof using various elements make this very inspiring. Thanks~

• Reply Arch August 26, 2006 at 7:36 am

Thanks Holly for coming up with this great feature.

I thank you all for posting such wonderful comments.

We decided to use the yellows & oranges to brighten up the spaces during the evenings. Our home is east-facing and the morning sunlight streaming in does wonders to the colours.

• Reply Meg August 26, 2006 at 6:16 pm

Your home is absolutely beautiful. I love the colors you use and the clean lines throughout. Looks like something out of a magazine!

• Reply jules ikeahacker August 28, 2006 at 4:22 am

Gorgeous. Am loving your living room framed pictures in the orange painted box. what a neat idea – frames within a frame. And also the day bed in your study – lovely, lovely.

thanks Holly for this new awesome feature.

• Reply Camille August 29, 2006 at 12:56 pm

The way you used lighting really makes it seems so warm and inviting. Great job!!

• Reply cream September 11, 2006 at 11:53 pm

i try to recreate india at home in new york. i would love those lovely antiques ( cannot afford them to buy here ) where do you buy that in india ?

Those lamps are wonderful.

• Reply Nitya April 25, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Hi Archana, I love the way you have blended Indian tradition with modern conveniences. It looks so warm and beautiful, I am really impressed and inspired. Nitya

• Reply rochambeau June 15, 2007 at 8:50 pm

I just found Arch’s blog today through Blue’s blog.
    Her house is spectacular! So is your blog!

• Reply Gillian @ Indigo Blue August 28, 2007 at 2:11 am

I lurk here a lot sometimes without commenting, however, I must say, Archana’s home is stunning. Simple, elegant and bright. Uncluttered yet warm.
    I love the oranges, such a welcoming palette.
    xo
    Blue

• Reply nay-k October 10, 2007 at 8:38 am

this is a wonderful appartment! so inspiring!

• Reply lakshmi November 3, 2007 at 11:51 am

Hi Archana,

I m planning to re-do my bedroom in ethnic style. I loved the yellows in your hall – i would want to use some contrasts in my bedroom.. any thoughts?

• Reply Starlight* January 3, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I’d love to see these images in a bigger size… please please please !!!

BTW I read Rang too :)

• Reply priya February 2, 2008 at 4:37 pm

gorgeous house archana! very tastefully done up.

• Reply Muriel March 29, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I love your decor and blog!

• Reply adi May 16, 2008 at 5:29 am

thanks holly for this beautiful blog… and as for arch, m a regular at her blog, just wish to have a home as beautiful as hers :)

• Reply kunju's mom June 29, 2008 at 5:33 pm

hi there.. i just came across your blog while i was looking for references for indian home designs.. i love the space in your daughters bedroom with storage cum sitting area.. i was also planning to do something similar for my 2 yr old’s room.. your blog also seems nice with all interesting indian art stuff… Cheers!!

• Reply Sangitha July 19, 2008 at 11:20 am

Hi archana,
    Sangitha here,greatly enjoyed visiting your home.very tastefully done.It suited the saying”Everything in place,a place for everything”
    a very traditional,classy home.
    cheers!!

• Reply Madhavi September 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Hi Archana!
    what a beautiful home.I loved your idea of converting a swing to a centre table.We have one such in our home passed on from ancestors.Thanks for sharing with us.
    madhavi

• Reply Deepa October 13, 2008 at 2:24 am

Archana,
    Beautiful home, very warm. I love the wall colors.

Where did you get the wall brackets on which you have placed books, in your study room. I am looking for ethnic looking wall brackets.

• Reply Subathra November 3, 2008 at 8:14 am

Hi Archana,
    Beautiful home, very tastefully done…everything finds a plce for itself….would love if you can help me with some ideas in decorating my home….

• Reply vimla November 12, 2008 at 4:46 am

What a beautiful home! I am in the process of building my own, so I can understand the work that must have gone into it. Thanks for sharing the pics. As for me, I am still in the process of sourcing ethnic material for my house. A wooden swing, some athangudi tiles and an old antique pillar.. Hope I can find it here in Hyderabad…

• Reply Simran Arora November 12, 2008 at 8:10 am

Beautiful home……its a home not a house !!:)

• Reply shabeena quraishi December 1, 2008 at 10:37 am

hello,archana,really impressed by yr home,iam also in the process of bldng a hm,and still in finishng stages,lovely ideas,iam always in search of indian ideas put along with mine,and iam also new to this site and blogging and all……

• Reply janaki February 3, 2009 at 6:30 am

hi archana

I was viewing ur house photos here.They r classy.I always wanted my home also to have a touch of south indian feel cuz me also a southindian.I have bout a 2240sq apt in mumbai.I want some good ideas to decorate my home similar to urs.Can u suggest some ideas .Ideas i mean like not expensive stuff jus like wall hanging,paint colour etc.Right now i have basic items at home like 6 seater wooden glass tp dining table n normal 5 seater sofaset.as yet not bout anything for the house.i want to get ideas b4 i do up my home cuz my home dsin theme is basic southindian treditioanl house.plz help me with some ideas.

• Reply janaki February 3, 2009 at 7:14 am

hi

nice done house archana.my taste of deco is smilar to yours.i want to keep the house as simple as posible yet treditional with a southindian there.well i have big hall right now i have put jus a 6 seater dining set n 5 seater normal sofa set.what else cud look nice can u suggest some colour for wall along with other deco that will look good n simple for my home.

cheers
    janki

• Reply ath007 February 9, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Hello there,
    I would have to say, Archana’s home looks fantastic. Warm, Cozy, Classy, REALLY Neat and Uncluttered. The rooms look really big with all that space… :)
    The use of colors were fantastic. I liked the hand-made paintings in the living room. That kept me staring at it for a bit while. The alignment of each and every thing in the room is so perfect like, you made the house so much that the furniture’s measurements were considered… a space for everything and anything.

• Reply janaki February 9, 2009 at 9:39 pm

yet w8ing for a feedbak from u archana.

• Reply Arch February 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Thanks everyone:-)

Please feel free to get inspired and I can help you with information to certain things, but to suggest ideas for homes would be a little dicey.

Feel free to write to me at archanasr_2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com and will try my best to answer your queries.

Arch

• Reply Suman July 21, 2009 at 4:37 am

I was really impressed with the idea of turning a baby swing upside down to use it as a coffee table. Really GR8.
    I would love to get more ideas from you.

• Reply akanksha p[areek August 16, 2009 at 1:44 am

hi i am a textile designer..and always want to see all collection from yamini….its really nice….i really got inspired always……..

• Reply Rakhi Wahee Pratap August 17, 2009 at 11:49 pm

HI, i have bought a flat in Hyderabad, i am touched by the visual treat i have experienced, will take some inspiartion.. Thank you

• Reply janu September 8, 2009 at 6:43 am

hi archana

i like ur house deco very much.it gives a warm comfortable feel.very neatly arraged n not clutterd.its seems very spacious too.is it cu of the arangement or due to paint effect.archana can u plz sugeest more indian treditional deco’s jus like urs.

• Reply Preeti September 8, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I love your house. Reminds me of mom’s house in bangalore. Love the lighting and furniture!
    .-= Preeti´s last blog ..Paneer Kali Mirch =-.

• Reply janu September 15, 2009 at 5:09 am

hi

if u can share more deco similar to urs plz let me know the sites i can view.

• Reply sheba September 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Got here when i was looking for some tanjore sketches..u have a lovely space..

• Reply Smita September 19, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I have no words to explain how excited I felt after I walked through u r home(virtually). It is indeed fantabulously done. and I am really kneen on knowing that how did you think about all these things? great color work and suberb arrangement…. I will be shifting to my new home soon.Do you have any suggestions for me…
    Thanks for wonderfull pictures….

• Reply subair September 28, 2009 at 3:53 am

wonderful

• Reply Reshmi September 29, 2009 at 3:53 am

Wow..really nice..i too like to use yellow color and its combinations…nice work archana :)

• Reply dr .rajesh October 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm

hi archana,
    you have a beautiful house.for the last few days i have been surfing the net for interior designs.i have a creative mindset.i do thermocol decorations,flower decorations,greeting cards pot painting.but this time before diwali i decided to paint my room all by myself.i did some murals too. this was the very first time.it was a great creative experience. the know how i got to know from some friends.i believe that to have a good interior we need not have to spend a lot of money.we just need to have a creative mind set.i am a doctor by profession.but the creativity in me gets its way out.your work is extremely beautiful.i am inspired.but i have very little knowledge in this path.it will be very nice of you if you can answer my queries.i will be very obliged.regards.
    Dr.Rajesh.

• Reply geetha November 3, 2009 at 2:52 am

hi archana
    love your home. the newer one is even better.I love the fact that you have bought all your nick nacks into your new home.I see a lot of of people not use them when they go into a new home.I am that kind of a person. you need to have a passion for things, some people buy things because they have the money.A part of yourself should be seen in your home. I would like to know where you got the wall mortifs (wooden blocks that look like a lady figure) keep me posted

• Reply geetha November 6, 2009 at 5:56 am

i already made my comments about this beautiful house . i made a mistake on my email . i am sending you the correct email address.

• Reply Niraj Palve November 8, 2009 at 12:58 am

Nice house…

• Reply Rashmi December 14, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Hi Archana,
    Your house is beautiful. I am in the process of constructing my house.
    Would you have some simple tips? I want vibrant and colorful home. Not able to decide on the colors. Can you please help.
    My floor tiles are virtrified light color and kitchen has ceramic tiles which when bought was nice wooden finish. When we laid it on the floor gives a peech tinge on the same. Can something be done abt it?

Thanks in advance
    -Rashmi S

• Reply Arch January 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the lovely comments:-)

For questions and queries about my home, please feel free to write to me at archanasr_2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com or visit my blog: http://www.rangdecor.blogspot.com for more interior design ideas from India.

Holly, you are the best:-)
    .-= Arch´s last blog ..Havelis of Shekhawati, Rajasthan. =-.

• Reply meenanags February 26, 2010 at 2:29 am

Hi Arachana,
    I could see my imagination build at your home.. beautiful.. classic traditional what more can i say.. usually i love fab india furnitures.. they are expensive.. yet classy.. typical maniratnam movies setup :) a traditional home with beautiful bright orange , green combination .. curtains.. aah..
    let me where did you buy these wooden furniture … what a treat for the eyes.. beautiful archana…

meena,
    bangalore

• Reply Neeraja March 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm

hi,

the house is excelent, i plan to send you a few pics of my house and want your suggestions on how more to improve.

Regards

Neeraja

• Reply Janaki March 11, 2010 at 10:41 am

I really love the tiled love seat… It is really a beautiful piece. I am curious to know where you picked this up.

• Reply Nilanjana April 9, 2010 at 4:24 am

Hi Archana!

Your house is just like a dream house. The furniture,the wall colours,all are so perfect that anybody wuld get an inspiration as i have got. Thanx sooo much fr sharing ur art with us. Its just fantabulous!!!!

• Reply indrakumar April 17, 2010 at 7:08 am

Hi Archana,

The antiques that you’ve collected are fantastic and it speaks volumes about your passision.

Can you suggest me some places in chennai to buy antiques at a reasonable rate..

• Reply Fathima April 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Just happened to come across ur blog… I am so excited about my find… This house looks so great… love the warm tones and the way everything falls into the space… book marking ur space
    .-= Fathima´s last blog ..Mutton Biryani =-.

• Reply jungle resorts July 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm

nice post i really like it…

• Reply Deepa July 27, 2010 at 2:46 am

I absolutely love your home. I think you have successfully managed to decorate intricately without cluttering. I love your style and sense of colour! you are an inspiration to me.

• Reply SANDHYA September 3, 2010 at 8:58 am

Hi archana,
    I just love ur house ofr its simplicity yet very creative.
    I just see ur house photos everyday which freshens me ……i just love ur liivng room with a small money plant.Orange color in any form in any room actually brightens up & gives a warm feeling.Also i want u to sugget me how to decor a simple study room.

• Reply Anju September 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Dear Archana
    You and your house are truely an inspiration. Your house decor has definately motivated me to follow my heart when it comes to decorating my new house.

• Reply lalitha January 21, 2011 at 10:14 am

Archana.,
    saw some of these pics in today’s deccan herald ,or was it a diff home!?I found the flooring in the paper charmingly diff,os yellow?or mustard?the house i the pic above has white tile.please share with me your comments on tile wisdom

• Reply Sonali February 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Archana i am a lover of antique furniture and i love the way you have decorated your home.its warm and all the earthy colours are a treat to the eyes.I have a passion for Interior designing but lack the technical part of the knowledge and desire to learn.i must say that your Home is truly a beautiful home.
    – sonali

• Reply Bandana April 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Beautiful….warm and vibrant!

• Reply dhara May 15, 2011 at 4:46 am

The space is decorated very well. I like the traditional feel yet it is clean and calm. Where did you get the bench featured in the picture. It is really cool I like to buy one for my house and use it as a swing.

• Reply Sonia May 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Where is your living room furniture from?

• Reply Mina May 23, 2011 at 2:09 am

Oh my God! I love it so much! I want to live there!!!!!!!

• Reply Pinky May 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Beautiful house……

• Reply Namrata Thyagaraj June 18, 2011 at 7:39 am

Hello Archana ji,
    I am a student of CEPT University in Ahmedabad pursuing Masters in Interior Architecture and Design. I loved your house interiors. I am interested in showing your house for one of my Crafts and Technology assignment. I have some questions for you. I would be thankful to you if you took some time for it.
    My questions are –
    1) How old are these furnitures?
    2) Did you hire any craftspeople for making the furniture?
    3) What inspired you to amalgamate the traditional elements with new ones?
    4) What kind of experience do you feel in your house compared to other modern houses?

• Reply sandhya October 11, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hi archana,

I am a true lover of art….and I must say that u hav decorated ur home in a very ethnic style.Beautiful home!!the furnitures,crocerky cabinet,lamp and even the tiny money plant just makes u feel warm at home.Plz post more photos.Bye

• Reply jaya October 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

the pictures are a punch of colors and creativity… i would love to have a decor like that… the way archana has light playing a role in enhancing the beauty… its marvellous.

• Reply rajeshri November 1, 2011 at 5:22 am

I love your bench in your study, can you tell me where you got that bench?

What is the website of that bench as I would like to get something similar
    for my foyer (entry hall).

Rajeshri

• Reply Tehmina March 5, 2012 at 3:05 am

I love the ethnic look of your house. Home away from home, this is what even I am aspiring to have this look for my house! Would be looking forward for ideas and tips from your blog! :)

• Reply Ankita March 9, 2012 at 12:15 am

What a beautiful home. Love everything that has been done in all the rooms. Such warm and beautiful colors and creative furniture ideas.

• Reply Nithya May 5, 2012 at 9:05 am

i love your house plan helps me withmy home planning thanks alot its great

nithya
    singapore

• Reply Nithya May 5, 2012 at 9:07 am

loveable home cannot take my eyes off

• Reply Shorba August 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I like the colours, a very warm and cosy home

• Reply vaishali July 23, 2014 at 7:12 am

it was amazing…. brought my old home in front of my eyes… especially thanjavur painting,karaikudi hand made tiles, keralite lamps are really amazing…. if the wooden tables and racks were black,it would still more add the beauty in contrast to the yellow and orange wall… lovely… you brought temple to your home

• Reply Lakshmi Raman November 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Archana,

Loved the color and the decor of your house. I also have an antique thotil (cradle) and I am in the process of converting to a center table. I loved what you have done to yours. Would it be possible to send me a close up picture of the same. Is the table holding up even if it is inverted and have the tiles on it?