Shopping + Products

Secondhand Rose – Vintage Wallpaper + Linoleum in NYC

September 13, 2006

Shelterrific blogged about where to shop in New York City’s Tribeca the other day, did you happen to read that? Mentioned in the post was a real gem of a place called Secondhand Rose, they claim to stock the largest collection of vintage wallpaper in the world – over 1,000 patterns! Next time I’m in NYC, this place is a definite stop for me. I’m so happy that Shelterrific blogged about them!

Secondhand Rose - Vintage Wallpaper + Linoleum in NYCAs I browsed Secondhand Rose, my knees weakened when I learned that they also stock vintage linoleum. It’s not exactly trendy or slick, but I’m absolutely crazy about vintage lineoleum flooring anyway. It’s so rare, quirky, a bit tacky, but overall – utterly charming. Aside from being known as “40 year flooring” due to its durability, vintage linoleum is art in itself, very colorful, not as serious as modern linoleum in it’s typical neutral patterns. In fact, I’d love to see someone develop a modern take on vintage linoleum. Patterns that are just as bright and bold, but a more current take.

If I had a summer home, I’d definitely consider installing some in a bathroom or kitchen. I love this geometric pattern in blue and red, I can totally picture it an all white kitchen with sky blue walls, white molding, and a shiny fire engine red toaster with a stack of mixing bowls on the counter to match.

So…Vintage linoleum – Your thoughts?

Secondhand Rose - Vintage Wallpaper + Linoleum in NYC(images from secondhand rose)

16 Comments

• Reply grumpygirl September 13, 2006 at 4:55 am

it’s so nice to see the patterns of my childhood–and both my mother’s and grandmother’s kitchen–being used in a modern way. makes me want to dip in to her fabric bin and grab vintage stuff. or, hit the salvation army for clothes with thes patterns and turn them into pillows, etc. –alyssa,

• Reply shula September 13, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Thoughts? Thoughts?!

I almost fainted.

Does that count as a thought.

Dammit, WHY do I have to be so far from NYC?

• Reply Leah September 13, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Anyone interested in vintage linoleum should check out Jane Powell’s amazing and gorgeous book on the subject, Linoleum:

• Reply -katieonashstreet September 15, 2006 at 12:53 am

Not sure about linoleum but i went to secondhand rose in NYC and it’s a great place. I’m glad i went in person because many of the samples i saw on the site did not look the same in person. Especially any with a sheen. It’s pretty pricey but good for a smaller projects like panels, above a mantle, or covering one wall. I bought a roll of gold damask-like paper when i was there, but i have yet to install it. My husband said he’s not crazy about it. Hmmm..we’ll see.

• Reply Anonymous October 8, 2007 at 8:08 pm

I love linoleum, and I remember the kind with with sparkle glitter in it, too. Old Classic Travel Trailers are a good size for these remnants. Why the modern flooring manufacturers are producing such dull stuff compared to these classic styles is anyone’s guess.

• Reply Anonymous November 5, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Just bought 1970’s house on Cape Cod. Looking for linoleum for kitchen and mudroom area. Saw a splatter paint (very Cape) linoleum once that came in numerous colors, any ideas?

• Reply carolyn September 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I am realy interested in purchasing some vintage linoleum, and looked at the site for secondhand rose in ny but dont seem to be able to find the linoleum page that you are showing with the roles of linoleum?? Where did you go on the home page to see this site and the costs etc? Thankyou Carolyn

• Reply joey ledlie October 14, 2012 at 1:11 am

I want lino just like these. I’m opening my very own shop soon. I wish, I wish I could have this beautiful lino in my shop. We can’t get anything so lovely here in Australia.
    Kisses, joey

• Reply joey ledlie October 14, 2012 at 1:12 am

I would love to have some lino as beautiful as these. Kisses, joey in Australia

• Reply Carolyn November 5, 2012 at 5:27 am

I’m not the same Carolyn, but I also wish for vintage linoleum. The Secondhand Rose website seems to be just wallpaper. (Wonderful wallpaper!) New York is 2800 miles away. I guess I’ll keep looking.

I hope Hurricane Sandy didn’t hurt Secondhand Rose.

• Reply Suzanne Dornbach May 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

where is the vintage linoleum you used to display? loved it. am ready for it and now you aren”t showing it! help!

• Reply Jozelle August 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

The only thing is, not many people can install the old rolls of linoleum anymore.

• Reply Lois October 7, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Suzanne Dornbach,

I have three vintage linoleum floorings for sale (circa 1930) that we have removed from a 100 year old house. Pictures available.

• Reply Peggy Selander June 4, 2014 at 5:21 am

I just love vintage linoleum! Reminds me of my grandma! It’s just so funky! My dream is to own a vintage cottage on a lake in Minnesota and do a vintage forties kitchen. I found one I love but have to convince my husband we need to live there!! I am an artist so I actually could paint my own and varnish it. Just would need a couple large pieces of heavy canvas and sew them together to make a big rug. Then matte paint it and then paint it in acrylic paint and then varnish/seal it. Totally doable! And would be a total riot! I need this art project!!! Gotta get that cabin!!! These designs have inspired me to no end!!!

• Reply Donna July 26, 2016 at 1:47 am

I love vintage flooring! I still have some in the closet of my inherited home. It is exactly what my grandmother had in her bedroom; I’ll never part with it…..though it may become a vintage craft at some point.

• Reply Evan Degenfelder November 21, 2016 at 3:19 am

I’ve looked at Secondhand Rose but see no more lino. Are they not selling it anymore? We are restoring a 1947 ‘ranch’ style and its original lino is just completely worn out. I would save it if I could. Second choice is to find a replacement. Anyone with any ideas? I would only consider this since the room is fairly small…
    If you have any tips let me know!