RecreateThis Room: Chairs With Socks!

I love the simplicity of this dining room and was thinking of ways to recreate the look for less. It’s a fairly easy room to create. Watch.

First, you can grab the nepture chairs ($298 each) from Anthropologie or the Bull chairs from 2bMod for $240 and team them up with the large Roost Porcelain Bell light from Velocity for $187 or the Septim from IKEA in white ($25). Next, grab a tulip table with a marble top from Retro Design Furniture for $895 or the Odyssey from CB2 for $149. (an original ’60’s Eero Saarinen wood topped tulip dining table from Knoll is around $3,800).

Viola! But wait. Those chairs aren’t exactly budget finds. So that brings me to another idea. When I first saw the image, I called it the dining room with socks. The chairs really do look like they are wearing socks, don’t they? So why not get creative and break out the white paint, paint ordinary wood chairs white, and either paint your own socks on in any color you’d like, or crochet a pair to slip on. Hey, you can even add your own by cutting the feet off of socks and slipping them on. I mean, c’mon. How cute would that be?

(top image from domino)

Posted by decor8 in furniture, inspiration on March 08, 2007

1. scrappy girl commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 4:38pm

The dining room with socks? That’s like the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.

2. karen c commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 4:48pm

crocheting little socks for your chairs is a GREAT idea…oh how clever!

3. supa commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:02pm

Am adding “crochet chair socks” to my to-do list. Spectacularly cute.

4. Melody commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:05pm

I called them chairs with socks when I saw them :) Even easier than painting or making “socks” for the chairs you could just paint wooden chairs white and leave the bottom 6 inches or so unpainted.
    This is such a fun post – you should do “recreate this room” again!
    On another note, I was looking through some of my old Domino’s the other day and I noticed most of the women (often artists, designers, chefs, writers or some other creative profession) whose homes were featured are rail thin. I mean, it’s bad enough that they have on gorgeous Zac Posen skirts on that cost more than my entire living room!
    But seriously, it bugged me a little, because Domino is supposed to be about making your home more beautiful (right?) I’m in a creative field, and we certainly don’t all look like that and still manage to have interesting homes. Where are the real women? Where are the Dove women??
    Holly – I know you can’t fix this, just wanted to put my opinion out there!

5. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:20pm

Scrappy – You know I’m a little left of center, so don’t mind me…

Karen/Supa – Yes, crochet those chair socks asap! :)

Melody – smart girl. You could also paint white chair bottoms in fun colors, like fire engine red. Oh I love that.
    About your domino question… Where are the dove women, you ask? You’re too cute. Yeah, I noticed that too – but not just Domino, every publication out there shows us the same rail thin beauties. But, would we read if a 300 pound women in sweats showed us her amazing sofa and lighting? I’m not so sure – that’s the catch. I mean, on one side, we want to see the dove girls in magazines more often, but on the other side, we somewhat like the fantasy magazines create for us. I know I do. I do not wear Manolo’s and when I was single, I wasn’t dating every guy out there, but I loved Sex In The City because they were living the dream, so to speak. Do you see where I’m coming from with this?

On a side note, maybe Domino WILL feature a few ‘real’ women. If they do, I’m in!!! :)

6. Melody commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:33pm

I love red so I think painting red socks on the bottom of a chair would be adorable. Maybe a black chair? Or maybe walnut and making the red part lacquered! If you were feeling really spunky you could stripe the legs!

Holly – I know what you are saying about living the fantasy. Magazines are definitely an escape for me, something to flip through while taking a relaxing soak in the tub (off to read your bathtub article after I post!)
    To be honest, I probably would feel uncomfortable if there were a 300 pound woman in Domino. Not because I believe that is ugly, but because I would feel genuinely concerned about her health and wellness. But a woman with a well-designed living room or kitchen or bedroom who happens to have a real butt or (God forbid!) a little bit of arm jiggle – bring it on!

7. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:42pm

Yes, junk in the trunk is welcome in my book, too!!

Yes stripes would be great, I sat down and penciled some ideas in a notebook for future projects. I wish the weather would warm up, I only paint outdoors, so I can’t wait to see the sun again. It climbed from 10 to 20 here, so let’s hope for 80 by the weekend. HA!

8. annemarie commented
    March 9th, 2007 at 4:32am

for years my mom has been saving her hardwood floors from her dining room chairs by putting baby socks on them – i guess she’s just ahead of the style game! (this is less, um, slouchy though.)

9. Anonymous commented
    March 9th, 2007 at 3:33pm

Any idea where the chairs in the Domino photo are from? There are no credits on the Domino site… Thanks.

10. decor8 commented
    March 9th, 2007 at 3:53pm

Hmmm… Maybe you can go to the domino website and ask in the forums. I’m sure some savvy reader or editor will be able to answer your question. I’m not sure where those gorgeous chairs are from. I have a feeling that bad things would happen if I did though…. SPENDING!

11. tiny banquet committee commented
    March 10th, 2007 at 12:19pm

I just stumbled across the chairs from the Domino photo – they’re from the Conran shop and they are $945 each. :(
    The style name is “Czech” and they are here.

12. decor8 commented
    March 10th, 2007 at 2:06pm

$945- each? Then with that original table, I assume the set up we see here, just the table and 4 chairs, is… $945/4 and $3,800/1 = $8,000ish. IMAGINE? Just for a dining table and 4 chairs? Sheesh.