Mindy Wilson Prints

Artist Mindy Wilson uses pen, pastel and watercolor to create images for greeting cards, textiles, and illustrations for children’s books. She also has a shop on Etsy offering prints of some of her original works, all very affordable, colorful, and for the bird and tree lovers out there – you’ve just hit the jackpot.

See how great they look framed in an AT reader’s home? I love seeing prints in an actual space. I guess if I can throw a tip out into the world of Etsy sellers, I’d like to say this: A lot of shoppers aren’t visual like you are. They can’t ‘see’ a print in their space without you showing it on display somehow, framed. It also gives customers a sense of scale, so if you want to boost your sales… Show your prints living in a home – make them come alive!

Thanks Mindy for writing in! Great AT picture by the way…

(images from mindy wilson and apartment therapy)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, etsy, walls on March 27, 2007

1. casapinka commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 4:21pm

Huge point. Same with wallpaper sellers. Some do photograph their papers in a space but many don’t. Especially with large repeating patterns, it is very difficult to visualize and entire wall.

2. decor8 commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 4:26pm

Oh that’s true casapinka… Not everyone is in a showroom shopping these days, most of us (incl. designers) are shopping online.

I think artists and designers are so super visual and creative that the reasoning is others are the same way so they ‘get it’ too. But that is not the case.

A picture speaks a thousand words!!!

3. susie commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 6:12pm

I purchased 2 prints from mindy early in the year….I love them!

Holly, you are so right about showing items in relation to an actual space. The same goes for accessories. I can’t tell you how many times i’ve looked at a purse or tote bag online and the picture is just the product floating in space. You need to see it in relation to a person/human body!

4. Anonymous commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 8:32pm

They are great Mindy. Thanks for sharing with us Holly. :)

Your blog makes me happy each day, I walk away with much more than I came here with. My design quench!

Annie (Boston)

5. Lynda commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 9:43pm

Mindy! wow I lost track of her and just loved her work when she did a few designs for me at HipsterCards in 2005 (check out her flirty card at
    She is not only talented but a joy to work with.

6. Wonder Spaz commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 10:11pm

I pray that sellers take your advice; it would help those of us without a talent for design or visual arts conceptualize the opportunities presented by a piece of art. My skills and career are in writing, and I have learned to stretch my imagination through your blog and others. Without them, I’d be at a loss in trying new things in my home.

7. CeLee commented
    March 27th, 2007 at 11:28pm

i love seeing the actual print in its real setting as well – great find holly!

8. kstyle commented
    March 28th, 2007 at 1:44am

Pink you and Holly are so right. And I am embarrased to say that I once ordered this ” large scale tree” patttern wallpaper and put it up on a never ending wall and much to my husbands chagrin ripped the whole thing down only minutes later. Yikes costly mistake and if I could have seen it in a pic maybe would have been saved. k

9. Mary-Anna Welch commented
    March 28th, 2007 at 12:32pm

Thanks so much for the advice to show your work actually hanging on the wall. I plan on asking each of my customers for a photo of their paintings for my portfolio.

10. Starla commented
    March 28th, 2007 at 4:22pm

That is a very good point. I’d like to think that I can visualize how a picture would look in certain space, even though I am by no means an artist or designer, but seeing how a picture looks framed and hanging on a wall would help out so many people or at least give people ideas.

One thing I definitely prefer and will sway my decision on an online purchase is if I can enlarge or zoom in on a picture in order to see the details or colors more clearly. If I can’t do that, unless I really love the item, I will more and likely not purchase it.

I own one of Mindy’s prints and I love it. I’m waiting to receive one more print from another Etsy seller (Bird Nerd) and then I’m taking all the prints to get framed.

11. Alicia commented
    March 28th, 2007 at 8:35pm

Thank you for continuing to feature etsy sellers. Mindy’s work is gorgeous! I think your point about showing framed pieces is excellent, and I will definately make this addition as I update my shop.

12. decor8 commented
    March 28th, 2007 at 9:54pm

Of course Alicia! For those that know me and have been reading decor8 from the start, I was the first to blog about Etsy the moment their site went up – I’ve been a huge supporter all along. And that’s not changing anytime soon!

13. Mariela commented
    March 29th, 2007 at 5:48am

These are simply BEAUTIFUL! Thanx so much for sharing!