uncategorized

DWR’s Miss Gana Ottoman [Hot or Scary?]

April 4, 2007

Is this thing hot or hairy scary? Resembling a Muppet and badly in need of google eyes, only 50 are available over at Design Within Reach, so if you want your eco-friendly Miss Gana ottoman made from unworn, overstocked flip-flop sandals for $250- act now before it rolls away… Or walks. Or ends up with an acting career on some Nickelodeon show.

DWR's Miss Gana Ottoman [Hot or Scary?]

Hot or Scary? Would you own this thing? I cast my vote like this… If it was in one of those massive, swank Elle Decor style homes with all the right billion dollar furnishings, it would work. If it was in my home, just plain scary. And you?

(images from dwr)

14 Comments

• Reply AbbeyK April 4, 2007 at 5:17 pm

It’s a great place to hide a snack….
    Egad, how do you clean this thing?

AbbeyK

• Reply sadie April 4, 2007 at 5:22 pm

well it’s made of rubber, so perhaps you can hose it down. ;)

• Reply susan April 4, 2007 at 5:40 pm

Nope, it wouldn’t work for me. I’m open minded, my style is eclectic, I can move out of my comfort zone, but THAT would make me nervous just looking at it, I think you almost have to design around it!

• Reply becky April 4, 2007 at 6:37 pm

It’s a big KOOSH ball. Not digging it at all! I think the flip flops could better serve as flip flops!

Becky

• Reply lusummers April 4, 2007 at 7:01 pm

Perhaps you could fashion a loose cover for it – or would that be missing the point?
    I think I’d go the whole hog and give it eyes, a collar and a name like ‘Woofikins’. Hehehe, I’d like to see Paris Hilton fit that sucker in her Prada handbag on the red carpet…….

• Reply Peeved Michelle April 4, 2007 at 7:48 pm

I think it would be really cute in a kid’s room, but not for $250.

• Reply M. Patrizio April 4, 2007 at 8:04 pm

I don’t think the price is that bad, but my vote would be hairy scary —> health hazard. It would collect so much dust in all those crevices.

• Reply Anonymous April 4, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Wretched, deplorable, hideous, ick, these thoughts come to mind.

• Reply April April 4, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Oversized cat toy? Mine would love it, but the think would just collect cat hair … ick!

• Reply Anonymous April 4, 2007 at 10:33 pm

It looks like a giant hair ball. Or like Becky said, a koosh ball. I can’t get over the crap people design and peddle off as so amazing. This is crap crap crap c-r-a-p.

• Reply Design Hole April 5, 2007 at 1:36 am

The question is, how do you clean this? I see it embedded with fur balls and dust mites within a month. But, it’s a whole lotta fun those first 4 weeks!

• Reply Erin April 5, 2007 at 4:42 pm

eeeeek!!! just looking at it is enough to inspire an allergy attack!

Not to knock creativity, but I have a feeling this one will be on sale in a few weeks.

It kind of reminds me of a friend’s nightmare…she and her husband, recently married and broke, moved into her grandmother’s lake house (free!)…the place had shag carpet walls!! I’m not joking. And not just any carpet walls…these were rainbow striped carpet walls. ROY-G-BIV. She would cry as she vacuumed them…poor thing! She and her husband are finally building a custom home — maybe I should get her this as a housewarming gift??!

Ha!

Just thought I’d share.

Erin

• Reply freshpinkstyle April 5, 2007 at 4:50 pm

I love this. I noticed it last Fall at DWR on limited edition. It is not for every space, but I think it’s a great use of old flip flops. Sure it would look cute in a kid’s room, but scary things could happen to there (destruction and grime?). I think a couple would look great in a fashion boutique with correlating colors.

• Reply Anonymous April 10, 2007 at 12:28 am

Peoplesfurtniture.net has a wide variety of High Quality Furnitures at unbelievable prices. The one stop shop for all the furniture needs for Home and office. They can be browsed at: http://www.peoplesfurniture.net/