Arts + Crafts

Creative Thursday Art

June 14, 2007

The new painting that Creative Thursday Art
Sure, it may look like the wall of a fifth grader, but anything goes in my workspace. After sitting in cubicles and offices for 10 years surrounded by schematics and excel spreadsheets pinned all around me, I decided that “free” is in the word “freelance” and I need to exercise my freedom of expression in my home office, on my level, now that I’m working for myself. And you know what? Good for me. And if your art is a bit childish, three cheers to you, too. If you don’t surround yourself with things that evoke certain positive emotions in you, then save your money and live with four blank walls, no furniture, and throw a mattress in the middle of the room because I truly feel that you’re not living if your space reflects the style and taste of someone else. For me, I think 34 going on 13 pretty much sums up this little space above my desk, and I like it this way.

(image by holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Sarah Dennis June 14, 2007 at 4:08 pm

HOLLY, I couldn’t agree with you more on personalizing your own space. I spend 10+ hours a day in a cubicle and believe me I would love to break “free”! I love the prints, can’t wait to see the wall when you’re done painting.

BTW, I just read the article from the Washington Post! Congratulations! You, Grace, Victoria and Irene are my favs and I’m so excited that your work is being recognized.

• Reply k8theriver June 14, 2007 at 4:58 pm

i think it looks great

• Reply Anonymous June 14, 2007 at 5:01 pm

me too. and holly you are adorable and i love your ‘screw it’ advice because your clear voice inspires me to take a leap on things like this and say ‘screw it’ too.

hugs
    sarah
    (the boston one)

• Reply dai June 14, 2007 at 5:41 pm

This really makes perfect sense!! wow!!:)

• Reply decor8 June 14, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

As basic as it seems, some people just don’t get something so simple because ultimately, they fear the disapproval of friends or family when it comes to their design decisions.

Yeah Sarah, I guess it is a little on the screw it side, but it’s how I feel because I see too many people limit themselves because of their age.

While some things are a bit far out (a hello kitty bedroom ensemble), a person that loves HK can layer it into their home on some level to make it work.

• Reply Marisa and Creative Thursday June 14, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Wow! It looks great!!! And I have to say I’m with you 100%….Going from 34 to 13. I had to blog about it too today :)

• Reply decor8 June 14, 2007 at 7:04 pm

I just read your blog post Marisa, great food for thought over there. :)

• Reply Kelly June 14, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Love it! I have to get all my art framed to distribute around my walls. I’ve also been playing with idea with just hanging them up with pins like you find when insects are displayed. This is my “study” of art.

I was also wondering about the fabric piece in your photo with the think and the thought bubble of the horse

kel

• Reply erin scissorhands June 14, 2007 at 7:57 pm

looks great! i spy work by tummyache- i can’t wait till i can buy some work from her :)

• Reply Seda June 15, 2007 at 8:54 pm

Holly, after I read a post about creative thursday in your blog (maybe 1-1.5 months ago), I purchased a painting from Marisa. I’m looking fwd to the day I’ll hang it on the wall.

Thanks so much for putting all this great info about artists together. I can’t tell you how much inspiration I get from your blog everyday.

(Hi Marisa! :)