uncategorized

Vintage Typewriter Cravings + Country Living Galleries

August 3, 2007

I’m not exactly sure what causes these sudden cravings, like I was big into globes last week (my eBay globe arrived and I love it), and now I’m back into typewriters, a recurring love of mine as I have visions of them in vintage pale pink or turquoise from the 50s, perhaps with that retro Smith-Corona font on the front. Actually, I can trace this typewriter desire. It’s this photo that did me in. I saw it over 3 years ago (I think ’05 maybe) in Country Living magazine and never forgot it. It was from an article about a New York farmhouse owned by Peter and India Baird that I fell in love with.

Vintage Typewriter Cravings + Country Living Galleries
The typewriters below are from eBay, I was watching them but silly me, I forgot that watch means I need to frequently check back (and I didn’t) so I lost out. I only need one. So I am back to searching for the perfect Smith-Corona. Or any brand really, as long as it is in some delicious pale pink or blue color, works, and has pretty font somewhere on it.

Vintage Typewriter Cravings + Country Living Galleries
Here are some more shots of that farmhouse. It’s gorgeous, isn’t it? Imagine having a second home like this… And I adore that little vintage classroom desk in their kitchen. This is how I imagine my life someday when we have children. A place for my little one to color while I cook dinner. I recently found two of them at a local flea market for free – no one wanted them – but I passed them by because I was in a rush to get somewhere. Now I wish I had taken the time to stop.

Vintage Typewriter Cravings + Country Living GalleriesVintage Typewriter Cravings + Country Living Galleries
More homes and tours can be found on the newly updated Country Living website, they have some gorgeous galleries and lots of modern country looks that are very nice to look at. Photos taken by the amazing Michael Luppino (check out his interiors porfolio, the man is unstoppable).

(images from ebay and michael luppino for country living)

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Jason August 3, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Holly, if you love vintage typewriters, you must checkout http://www.mytypewriter.com – lots of photos and eye candy. Almost makes you want to use one! Jason

• Reply Anonymous August 3, 2007 at 8:12 pm

You won’t lose out on eBay if you register with AuctionSnipe and let them place the bid(s) for you in the final seconds of the auction. I love it…

• Reply Becky August 3, 2007 at 9:48 pm

I love the vintage look! Warm and inviting with the yellow palette. Thanks so much for the info!

• Reply Lili August 3, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Oh! i love vintage typewriters too. I picked one up off of ebay about a year ago that types in cursive instead of the usual font. its baby blue too!

• Reply decor8 August 3, 2007 at 10:24 pm

types in CURSIVE? Are you kidding me? Lili, what is the make/model, I have to find one. I had no clue THOSE things were even out there.

Hi Jason!! So nice to see you and I love your pic. I will check that link there too, Thank you for leaving it. How are you anyway? How is the kids room design coming along?

anon- I heard of auction snipe. But I have to tell you the truth and I don’t want to sound like goody twoshoes here, but I wouldn’t feel right using a service like that because I think what happened to buying tickets for concerts year ago will happen to eBay ultimately. Big companies and outlets will scoop up all the great stuff via these services and then there is either nothing left, or you have to pay $500 to get a Red Sox ticket. I like the old-fashioned bidding. I like the calling Ticketmaster and only being able to order 4 tickets at a time and that they were shipped to my home. Nowadays, everything online is anyones game and as a result, greed is overwhelming. I’m NOT saying a small guy like you is into this, you are merely looking to win something cute on eBay. But the sad thing is that these sniper services are being used a lot by stores and outlets and the little guy doesn’t always stand a chance anymore. I really am bothered by that.

• Reply jenny August 3, 2007 at 10:32 pm

i collect vintage typewriters, i have a few packed away in a storage space in the states and i miss playing around on them! i found mine for a few dollars at thrift stores in virginia (just like that smith corona aqua blue one) later a friend commented that she had found a cursive one and i flipped out too! i still want to find one like that – so if you ever get one…do a demo for us please!

• Reply decor8 August 3, 2007 at 10:35 pm

jenny i am on a flat out MISSION now. he he.

• Reply emma August 3, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Love the typewriter pics!

But, and i’m real sorry to break your illusion here Holly, kids don’t sit quietly, colouring when you cook. That only happens in the movies. :-D

• Reply Christine August 4, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Fab typewriters! I was in an antique shop last week and they had some gorgeous mixing bowls like the ones on the top shelf of the picture with the blue bottles. Wish I’d got one! I shall make it my mission to get one I think.

• Reply Pethra August 4, 2007 at 6:21 pm

ha, ha, I was was a bit nostalgic the other day, as my children kept asking what things I didn?t have when I grew up. Of course, a PC is one of the things. I remember writing a paper at the university, borrowing an ELECTRIC (WOW!) typewriter, with BUILT IN TIPP-EX….! Now, THAT was luxury! My goodness, how ever did I survive without a computer? When I see those vintage typewriters I feel nostalgic, I want one too! I wish I had kept my grandparents old black one…

• Reply Jem Rethman August 4, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Holly,
    I was so lucky last summer to be driving into town and find a turquoise Smith-Corona typewriter on the side of the road in its original case! I couldn’t believe why anyone would want to throw something like that away. Anyway it now sits in my bedroom and is used to type the occasional letter.
    – Jemma

• Reply Naomi August 5, 2007 at 6:17 pm

love your blog (I recently purchased an vintage globe to fit my collection of travel-inspired decor) and I was wondering what program you use to post your photos so nicely- how do you get the montages? just wondering…thanks.

• Reply susanna August 7, 2007 at 2:00 am

Country Living is a terrific magazine, isn’t it? They have such great ideas for relaxed home design. And we have an old black clunker of a typewriter on the floor in our livingroom. I love how it looks right there next to an old industrial stool.

• Reply Jason August 7, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Hey Holly, Thanks for the nice words, We took your design advice and are not planning on sleeping in Moroccan tents, we’re building actual rooms, but we may still decide to decorate them in a Moroccan style.

I wonder how one lights a room like this? We planned on installing track lighting in the bedrooms, but if we hang fabric from the ceiling, we hide the lights beneath the fabric.

Jason

• Reply Courtney August 15, 2007 at 2:00 am

I just bought that exact desk for $5 at Salvation Army. Sent my husband back for it after I bought a different one the day before fr $6.

• Reply ljo August 27, 2007 at 12:10 am

I have a vintage Olivetti in that color– I got it off ebay for a song about 6 years ago.