Shabby Chic *New* Collections

I was beyond thrilled to learn that Rachel Ashwell, who pioneered the whole casual bohemian look (at least here in the states) 18 years ago under the brand Shabby Chic, just launched a new collection of furniture and bedding collections. I want this entire room shown below, right down to the dreamy patchwork pillows. And have you noticed that patchwork is popping up everywhere? Oh yeah! And we love that…

Seems Rachel has been busy traveling the world to gather rugs, accessories and designs for furniture, ranging from classic to casual with a whimsical twist. There’s a little bit of an ethnic vibe going on in this collection, coupled with the California bohemian slash English traditional style she is known for. There are dining tables, coffee tables, dressers, nesting tables, etc. in different painted woods and finishes from washes to primitive stains. In addition, there’s a few new bedding patterns, a leather collection, new pillows, lighting, and vintage Turkish rugs.

I was beginning to think that Shabby Chic was losing it’s appeal (I was wrong) because I haven’t heard much from her since she launched an affordable version of Shabby Chic under the name Simply Shabby Chic at Target. Rachel isn’t about to let down her fans. Remember when she had her own show, I think it was on the Style network? I taped every episode and watched them with my girlfriends religiously every Thursday night with a bottle of wine. And though some may point to other designers as their inspiration because it sounds cooler, I openly confess that the Shabby Chic queen, Rachel Ashwell, is one of the designers that got me started down the road of mixing vintage with modern many years ago, the whole reason behind my obsession for vintage flea market finds, laid back style, and the goal of someday completing my collection of bone china. My goal is to have no plate nor cup the same. Ah, someday…

This is a duvet I had for a few years, so it’s not a new pattern by any means, it’s called wildflower (below). I picture it in a guest bedroom since I’m married now and don’t want to overwhelm my husband with girly patterns in the master bedroom. But it’s still a favorite pattern of mine because it’s so feminine and crisp, so I wanted to show it to you. I love the way it looks in this room with the tiny painting displayed over the lovely blue side table. I’d replace the lamp though with a this one from Re:found Objects hanging from the ceiling over the table. You have to mix things up!

Another staple in her collection that I’ve loved for ages is the beecroft sofa. I met Rachel in L.A. back in 2005 when I attended a tent sale she was having, she signed my book and had her photo taken with me. I was gushing like a little girl. I can’t wait to see more of her new collection, I hope she turns heads with it and that it brings the line back into the spotlight where it should be, as I’ve certainly missed seeing it in some of my favorite magazines.

Go Rachel, Go!

(images from shabby chic)

Posted by decor8 in bedroom, furniture, textiles on August 14, 2007

1. Mrs. R commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 6:14pm

Oh many. I want that desk. I dont have any place to put it, but that doesnt stop me from wanting it.

2. Terri commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 7:41pm

Thanks for the great post. I share your enthusiasm for this style, especially rejuventated! It would also be wonderful, some day, to see some photos of your china collection, so far. Or have you posted some already? Sounds like an interesting collection!

3. RowHouse Creative commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 7:54pm

hooray! wow, I have to have that desk! I am so happy to RA is launching a new collection. It’s so funny that you mention taping every episode and watching with your girlfriends. I wasn’t as dedicated, but I loved catching her show.

4. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 8:17pm

Terri GOOD IDEA. I am working on a project this weekend that involves cleaning out my attic where everything is stored, so I will grab what I can find and photograph it for you. Do you have an email that I can reach you with? I will send you an email next week with a link to my goodies in flickr. :)

Oh, and I don’t have everything, as some of my china is over in Germany since it was passed down from our family there and given to us for our wedding. It’s too precious to ship here, so we keep it there in grandma’s house for now. :) But that is more of a complete collection, I’m working on a collection where no pattern is the same but everything somehow coordinates. TRICKY.

Holly

5. Ashley commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 8:20pm

Thanks for writing about Rachel Ashwell! I love the shabby chic style because it is so versatile and adaptable. I’m getting married soon so I’ve been adapting Ashwell’s ideas to my own used furniture.

Great post! definitely linking to it…

6. Lobster and swan commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 8:29pm

Great post, I love the shabby chic shops! Every time I go to New York I drag my poor other half there! just incase Rachel Ashwell has a new book out! Its all so pretty and girly, bit of a floral overload for the poor boy!

7. LauraB commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 9:59pm

Hm. I wonder if the Shabby Chic store on Halsted in Chicago is Rachel’s store? I keep jogging by it and can’t decide if it’s “me” enough to go in but the display windows are fantastic!

8. decor8 commented
    August 14th, 2007 at 10:47pm

Laura, Yes, the one in Chicago is a store of hers.

9. RJD commented
    August 15th, 2007 at 2:34pm

I’m an RA fan too! I love the lightness of it, and I find the best way to wake up rejuvenated in the morning is in a painted white bed, with soft white sheets with lovely blue roses in it.

10. becky commented
    August 15th, 2007 at 3:30pm

RA inspired me the same way she did you; I still have a Serenity Duvet cover and curtains stored that I can’t give up (they’d get a fortune on eBay as they have been discontinued for years). It is so soft that anyone who ever slept under it in my guest room always had the best sleep ever.

I used to watch that show every time it was on, but was extremely disappointed in the Target line. I’m glad to see that her taste has evolved. I don’t think the Target line is representative of RA, unlike other star designer lines there that are pretty good.

Becky

11. vineeta commented
    August 15th, 2007 at 6:13pm

Holly, Thanx so much for this post, a good friend is renovating her place and stripping her antique wood furniture for this look & i was telling her panelled walls will work well with this kind of look. And the writing desk pic shows it exactly! i will just mail her this pic- incase she hasn’t already seen it on yr blog!

12. Anonymous commented
    April 19th, 2008 at 3:15am

Unfortunately, I hope it loses its appeal. It’s kinda played out like that cadet blue country goose look that people decorate their kitchens with. Even the name “Shabby Chic” is annoying. Sorry to all those who love it.