ComingHome Interior {Hannover}

Would you like to join me for a moment because I’d love to show you my favorite showroom in Germany, it’s called ComingHome Interior. It’s a splendid shopping “experience” located in Hannover, the absolute best source for mid century modern, industrial, and just plain gorgeous finds. From furniture to ceramics, lighting, and beyond, you’ll want to own everything.

Most of you know that my favorite spaces are those inhabited by creative souls who refuse to play by the rules, allow for a lot of style-overlapping, and go beyond the mainstream to design spaces that not only work for them, but are decorative, emotionally supportive, and contain a few unique finds with a story to tell.

From the moment I entered ComingHome, I felt like I had, well, come home. Okay, I’d add more floral patterns and a dose of cuteness here and there with prints, art, and such, but overall this store definitely speaks to both my husband and I. There’s a bit of tension in their designs, a masculine and feminine touch in every corner, soft meets sturdy, but never too obvious. You have to look for it.

It was painful for me to leave this lamp behind. Out of everything in the store, I wanted this lamp the most. Best of all, it’s one-of-a-kind because Rainer made it himself.

How are the prices? You’ll like this… What you see isn’t beyond reach because it’s all affordable (most tables between 300-500,- Euro for instance, chairs a little less), completely devoid of the bloated mark up so common back home (in New England) due to being in such high demand. Shopping is much more fun when you can imagine owning something because the price tag doesn’t give you a heart attack.

Also what makes ComingHome such a special place is the down-to-earth approach of Rainer S?ll, one of the owners and designers who holds an MS in Architecture. (His business partner is Claudia Nowotny, a theatre painter and stage designer, whom I did not meet.) You can discuss any piece in his showroom at length, he’s so knowledgeable, and his obvious creativity and passion for his work is inspiring. Don’t you love how well everything is styled without looking too perfect?

The sweetest high chair ever.

It’s also obvious that both have their finger on the pulse of contemporary and mid century modern design and Rainer has an intimate relationship with his clients, although his prices do not reflect this high level of customer service – it’s all part of the store experience. I observed him working with a few of his clients and they not only purchased 4 chairs for their home, but left with excitement written all over their faces because they scored original Eames chairs at a good price.

These darling school chairs were each under 100,- Euro.

As a team, both Rainer and Claudia have a unique and creative vision, they’re able to repurpose items transforming them into new objects, another bonus of this showroom. Many things are either original or entirely repurposed pieces crafted into lighting, art, sculpture, coat racks, etc., from old exercise equipment to work benches, orchard ladders, and beyond. They also had a delightful selection of vintage globes, ceramics, and clocks.

This is another piece I wanted to purchase so badly. It’s an old workbench to now be used in the kitchen as a chef’s island. Love! Imagine this in a loft space with an open floor plan?

As these pictures speak a thousand words, I guess I need not elaborate. But I do want to mention that because they carry such a diversified offering of products that rotate in and out quickly, if you see something you want it’s important to secure it right away!

If you visit Hannover or if you’re a magazine looking for a hip couple to feature, seriously consider ComingHome Interior because not only is their showroom to die for, but I’ve heard their home is even better. Hear that, Elle Decoration, Elle Decor, and Living Etc.?

Isn’t this a clever idea for a business card? A business coaster! Claudia takes a photo and Rainer draws it to transform the image into business card coasters.

Located: Nieschlagstr. 10/11 in Hannover Linden (take the #9 to Empelde and jump off at Nieschlagstr.) Open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday only. All other days by appointment only. For more information visit their website, in German. Rainer speaks English, so you can also call or email him with any questions.

(top three photos taken by thorsten becker, all others by holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in furniture, Shop Tours, shopping, travel on October 24, 2007

1. Anonymous commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 3:42pm

This is stunning, Holly. I can see what you mean about the tripod lamp, it is very Emily Chalmers!

2. Kelly commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 3:46pm

I adore the business cards! A brilliant, functional idea that’s sure to be seen.

3. Paige commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 4:21pm

Oh, that lamp, that lamp…do you know how much it is? (The one with the lace shade that you were lusting after, too….)

4. decor8 commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 4:22pm

Paige – it was 695- Euro from what I recall. :) It was a steal considering how original and huge it is.

5. Another Shade of Grey commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 4:40pm

Now that’s my kind of store. Beautiful, quirky, tasteful. :)

6. JanelleGee commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 6:35pm

The lamp reminds me of the one from The HomePort- http://www.thehomeport.com/lighting/transitlampmediumshop.php

That one is only $280.00.

7. :: A S K :: commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 7:18pm

I want everything!! I dream of having my own shop like this someday :)

8. decor8 commented
    October 24th, 2007 at 8:39pm

janellegee – Thanks for that link to Home Port, good site. Just for the sake of clarification though, the one that I photographed was taller than me, and I’m nearly 5’10” so I’m guessing it was around 6 feet. And the most important point – it’s a vintage piece unlike Home Port, which is a reproduction. For those that really cherish vintage and antique pieces, we’re willing to pay a little more for something that has age, patina, a little wear since it adds to the appeal for us. Also the wood grain is different and the most prominent feature is the crocheted antique lace shade. Again, these “little” things matter to those that collect vintage and antique pieces. Repros aren’t even a consideration when you are scouting for the “real thing”.

Of course, if you aren’t one to care, then buying a repro is the way to go. Then you can adorn the shade or something to mimic this look. But again, this is an original lamp that Rainer created from his imagination so there’s value in paying for that.

Thanks for the link though, I really appreciate that you commented and left some with a DIY option, great job!!

9. Heather Moore commented
    October 25th, 2007 at 8:18am

Got here through Another Shade of Grey’s Must Read. What a great store! Thanks for the extensive coverage.
    Heather

10. decor8 commented
    October 25th, 2007 at 11:29am

Wow Another Shade of Grey! Thank you so much for adding me to your must read of the day. I am so flattered, this makes me happy and I’m glad to see this store gaining additional exposure online because it’s a very special store.

Holly

11. zee commented
    October 25th, 2007 at 12:04pm

Wow! Obviously I love all the STUFF but the thoughful layout of the showroom must make it so engaging for visitors. I’ll definitely have to check it out when I next take a trip to Germany. Thanks Holly!

12. leslie commented
    October 26th, 2007 at 4:14am

this seriously looks like the best shop. in. the. world.

i want to live in those rooms!

13. Paige commented
    October 27th, 2007 at 10:08am

E695 is a bit rich for me, esp. when I consider shipping, BUT..a decorator friend has found me an antique tripod lamp, and we’re going to try to replicate a version of the lacey shade. I’ll send you a picture of our attempt after we’re done! Love your blog, by the way. Always totally inspiring….