Arts + Crafts, Etsy Faves, Rooms

Raydel Photography {new}

November 7, 2007

Jen Renninger from the Still Room Studio Print shop on etsy wrote to me about her sister’s new etsy store, Raydel Photography, with soft vintage-like photographs with a lovely patina. Each photo seems to hold special meaning, almost as if the corners of someone’s home and special collections inside are unfolding before our very eyes, revealing cherished possessions.

Raydel Photography {new}
What I find the most inspiring about her is not only the body of work but her very brief history as a photographer, it’s quite amazing. Here’s what Jen has to say about it, “In August Della bought a camera, with the intention of becoming a photographer. We laid out the instructions (Bill and I were photo majors in school and he is a photo instructor now), helped to edit, and she shot. And shot. And shot. Thousands of pictures.” And now, only a few months later, Della opened an etsy store and just took part in her first art show at The Gala Corina in Tampa, Florida – wow!

Raydel Photography {new} Please click on this image for a larger view.

And here are some of the photographs that you can own via her new etsy store. There’s a quiet beauty about her work, deep and dreamy, it really appeals to me.

Raydel Photography {new}Thank you Jen for sharing Della’s work with us – you’re right, she’s amazing!

A quick side point I’d like to make: Sometimes we let our lack of “history” or education in a certain area hold us back from going for it. We think that we don’t hold a degree as a painter, then we have no right to paint or if we don’t study graphic design, we can’t start taking on clients. Perhaps we discredit our work because we haven’t been at it since childhood as some of the most impressive bios sometimes intimidate us. I think Della shows us that good work is good work – whether you’ve been at it for 10 years or 10 weeks. Put your work out into the world and see what the response is. Just do it. Don’t hold back if you have passion for something. Isn’t that what the American dream is all about – going for it and having the opportunity to do so?

(images from raydel photography)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kati November 7, 2007 at 5:51 pm

I just want to say that your last paragraph really struck a chord with me and some things I have been going through personally. Thanks for helping to put things into perspective. :)

• Reply cori November 7, 2007 at 6:11 pm

thank you for the wonderful words of wisdom, it’s an easy thing to forget. gorgeous photos!!

• Reply charliemotel November 7, 2007 at 6:44 pm

hi- charliemotel here. just thought id say hello and thankyou for including me on your etsy fresh finds!!

This is an awesome blog by the way!

• Reply jill November 7, 2007 at 7:21 pm

way to go Della – it’s an inspiration to us all. :)

• Reply bkhdesign November 7, 2007 at 8:59 pm

I enjoy viewing your blog.

You have interesting atrists and designers ,and what they are doing.

Calendars are really great idea and have beautiful prints on them.

• Reply Andrea November 7, 2007 at 9:07 pm

Absolutely! We all have an inner creative soul. It’s just about finding the medium to express it.

• Reply Nicole November 8, 2007 at 5:43 am

I just couldn’t resist this “Mirror” print!

Also, thank you so much for your inspiring words on putting oneself out there. To hear it from someone as successful as you, sort of an authority on design (even though I’m sure you’re too sweet and modest to ever refer to yourself like that!), means a lot. Seriously. Hearing it from my husband doesn’t completely count. So, thank you :)

• Reply Raydel November 8, 2007 at 9:25 pm

I would just love to say THANK YOU! I am so honored to be on this blog, I was truely floored. Thanks so much for all the support and to everyone for looking at my site! I am deeply touched.

• Reply raydel November 8, 2007 at 9:27 pm

I just want to say thanks so much for writing about my work on decor8. I am deeply touched. Thanks to everyone for the support.

• Reply i-heart-(fill in the blank) November 11, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Holly, your blog has been inspiring me years and I truly adore it. Reading this today has filled me with so much joy and inspiration. Thank you so much.

• Reply jael December 7, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for saying this in such a simply put, matter-of-fact way. Because you’re so right. And it’s a good thing to remember (not that you’re right, but what you said. But you are still right…)