La Merceria {Toronto}

Ready to see some dreams put into action? This inspiring email just arrived so I had to share it, especially powerful for those of you dreaming of the day when you’ll hold a set of keys to a brick and mortar store of your very own. Sandra Rojas-Chinni had visions of starting her own store and turned them into reality with the recent opening of home design store (complete with espresso bar!) La Merceria located in Toronto, Canada.

Sandra had this to say, “Thank you Holly for being such a great source of inspiration. I actually wrote to you last year asking for career advice because I wanted to make a change in my life and your blog has inspired me so much and in many ways it helped me and my husband in creating our own business. We combined his passion for coffee and food with my love and experience in the product and design fields. It’s been a lot of work and sacrifice but seeing our dream come to reality is so rewarding and the response has been incredible. Many of the lines that we carry (such as Simplemente Blanco) I discovered by reading decor8, Thank-you again!”

How is that for inspiring? A couple going in on a shop together combining their talents to form a shop with beautiful things for the home and yummy treats for the tummy. If La Merceria had a Boston location, I doubt I’d ever leave. All this white space, warm wood tones, and subtle texture really clears the mind of stress and causes lots of creative ideas to take shape. I imagine having coffee here with a good friend, picking up some bath salts and a bar of lavender soap, then heading home for a relaxing soak while listening to a little Bebel Gilberto by candlelight. See what a good home store can do to a girl?

Congratulations Sandra, your shop is beautiful – thank you for the virtual store tour. :) For those of you based in Toronto or planning to visit there soon, La Merceria is located at 506 Adelaide Street west.

(images from la merceria)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours on January 09, 2008

1. Angelyn commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 1:07am

you have gathered all the inspiring people with their stuff in your blog. Lovely! :D

2. Rennie commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 1:38am

I have only just discovered decor8 and I’m thanking God. Like Sandra I’ve been inspired by you Holly in such a short time. I’ve been reading all your past blog.

Sandra the glass fixtures are cool, I like how it saves space. The white and green are so engaging and refreshing. You have a little shabby chic going on with a latte in tow. Now I see my dreams coming to a life as I look at Sandra and her husband. I too with my husband are in the process of opening a boutique in spring 08′

I’ve since e-mail 15 friends about this blog.

Congratulation Sandra

3. lorena siminovich commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 2:09am

nice feature Holly! I love the store. I have the feeling Sandra is from Argentina like me…do you know?

4. Carolyn commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 3:54am

I absolutely adore this shop! It’s like a little urban oasis! I love my tall nonfat toffee nut latte from Starbucks, but I’d drop that in a second for a steamy latte here (I choose the seat in front of the typewriter – love that touch). Thanks so much for sharing, Holly!

5. Jennifer commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 3:59am

Holly- Thanks for sharing this! Sandra, best of luck to you and your husband. I’m a decorator in Ottawa, and I always have dreams like this. You too are an inspiration, and I hope everything goes fabulously! Besides, you can’t go wrong with illy coffee!

6. jenni commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 4:01am

What a beautiful place!

7. phoenix commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 4:32am

Sandra’s living my secret dream! The shop looks great, and it’s so close to my home!

8. Anonymous commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 12:18pm

Sandra is from Colombia, her husband from Argentina.

9. cartolina commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Good luck Sandra – from British Columbia. I will stop by and say hi when we are at the Toronto Gift Show this month.
    Thanks Holly!

10. Uncle Beefy commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 4:45pm

Ah, that is inspiring, Holly. And YOU are inspiring a lot of people I am certain…myself included.

Such a lovely looking space and, like you said, a brilliant idea to combine the two businesses together. Oh if only I were going to Toronto!

11. Another Shade of Grey commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 5:36pm

That is awesome. Congratulations!

12. avrilloreti commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 5:58pm

I live in Toronto and this is the first I’ve heard of La Merceria!

I can’t wait to check it out. Sandra, you have a beautiful shop. I’ll be visiting you soon!

13. Carolina Eclectic commented
    January 10th, 2008 at 9:04pm

This is a dream come true. I’m so inspired to read this article. Years ago, I imagined combining a coffee shop with a furnishing store, but everyone told me I was crazy. I’m glad to see someone made this idea work so wonderfully.

14. Anonymous commented
    January 11th, 2008 at 4:30am

I discovered this shop on my way to brunch on dreary sunday morning. And what a discovery! It was fresh, charming and friendly…impeccable. I could have bought the whole store. I didn’t know about the background story of the owners. Now, I am even more enamoured.
    Congratulations to Sandra and Marcelo. Toronto really needed a shop like this.

15. Moses M commented
    January 14th, 2008 at 8:29pm

Hi Holly thanks for featuring La Merceria on your blog. As a result of your post, a friend of mine recommended that I MUST check out this gem. Well sure enough, I did and had great experience! If you live in Toronto or planning a trip, you must pay a visit, your senses will thank you : ) …

16. chewingthecud commented
    January 19th, 2008 at 3:38am

Hi Holly, what an inspiring post! Sandra, way to go! It took real guts to do this. I wish I could visit the shop in person. Congratulations to you (and Holly too: you did afterall have a hand in their success:))

17. kwcatherine.chan commented
    March 12th, 2008 at 1:16am

Dropped by today and they had the most amazing mochas. I am moving into the area so will definitely make this one of my spots!

18. Cecilia commented
    November 22nd, 2009 at 7:22pm

Hola Sandra, soy Cecilia de Argentina y vi que tu marido tambien es de aqui. Queria felicitarlos por el local tan lindo que tienen. Soy diseñadora grafica, y el estilo que le dieron al local es muy lindo. Los vuelvo a felicitar.
    Les dejo mi blog para que si les interesa vean las cosas que hago desde Buenos Aires.

Muchos saludos