Objects, Reader Questions, Shopping + Products, Travel

Reader Q: Lantern Help!

January 29, 2008

Reader Diana from New York City wrote in looking for the lantern pendant shown below. She’s hoping that one of us can point her in the right direction. At first glance it looks like fabric vs. paper so I’m thinking it’s a gauze lantern from China. Asian Ideas, Good Orient, Luna Bazaar, Party Lights, and ebay are good places to start for gauze and paper lanterns, but I think Asian Ideas may be the perfect fit, although the shape isn’t exact. I included the others just in case. ;)

Reader Q: Lantern Help!
Diana have you tried Chinatown since you live in the city — perhaps Pearl River?

Or if you’re looking for something a little more unique, you can order a lantern from Orike Muth, I met her and viewed her handmade lanterns in person – they’re beautiful and very well made. She design textiles and lighting out of her studio in Hanover, Germany.

(image from orike muth, top image submitted by reader without source.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jenna January 29, 2008 at 2:42 am

I’ve bought that exact lamp at Pearl River, but when it was on Canal street not broadway, so it was many years ago, but definitely worth a trip down there!

• Reply momochan1974 January 29, 2008 at 3:05 am

Pod (shop-pod.com) has those in bright colors. They aren’t on the website but if you give them a ring, you can order them by phone.

• Reply Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 3:45 am

Old Shanghai Online has nice lanterns, a little fancier, but they might have some ideas if you email them. They are very helpful. http://www.oldshanghaionline.com/housewares/decor/homedecor1f.htm

• Reply Topsy Turvy January 29, 2008 at 11:51 am

I bought this lantern in chartreuse from Anthropologie a few years ago, but they no longer carry them. You’re right, decor8, the Asian Ideas ones look like the same fabric & construction. Lana

• Reply Suki January 29, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I think China Town is a good place to look for the Lantern especially the Chinese New Year is coming soon

• Reply Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I also bought that same lantern at Pearl River! But it was about 6 years ago. Not sure if they have them at their new location, but it’s worth a try. Good luck!

• Reply Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 1:53 pm

• Reply Diana Evans January 29, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I have to agree to check out China Town…not sure if you will find the exact one…but it will be close…

• Reply RT January 29, 2008 at 7:37 pm

• Reply sfgirlbybay January 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I had this exact picture torn from a magazine when I was hunting down that lantern! And I found it at Pearl River!

• Reply Christine January 30, 2008 at 2:16 am

Hi – I bought this one and 2 other different ones on line at Papaya. This is the link: http://www.papayalicious.com

however, I don’t see them on her site now. Perhaps you could email her. Good luck – they are so great anywhere you hang them.

• Reply sylphofthestitch January 31, 2008 at 4:39 am

These lanterns are impossible to find nowadays. I have three which I bought from a small store in Victoria BC. They bought them from a Chinese supplier in Seattle..this was about 7 years ago. Pearl River was selling them a few years ago – they aren’t anymore though. I have tried to find them for years. I would try smaller companies in the Uk if possible. I seem to see them in a lot of Uk design magazines which leads me to think there are more of them over there.