Reader Q: Lantern Help!

Reader Diana from New York City wrote in looking for the lantern pendant shown below. She’s hoping that one of us can point her in the right direction. At first glance it looks like fabric vs. paper so I’m thinking it’s a gauze lantern from China. Asian Ideas, Good Orient, Luna Bazaar, Party Lights, and ebay are good places to start for gauze and paper lanterns, but I think Asian Ideas may be the perfect fit, although the shape isn’t exact. I included the others just in case. ;)

Diana have you tried Chinatown since you live in the city — perhaps Pearl River?

Or if you’re looking for something a little more unique, you can order a lantern from Orike Muth, I met her and viewed her handmade lanterns in person – they’re beautiful and very well made. She design textiles and lighting out of her studio in Hanover, Germany.

(image from orike muth, top image submitted by reader without source.)

Posted by decor8 in lighting, reader questions, shopping, travel on January 29, 2008

1. Jenna commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 2:42am

I’ve bought that exact lamp at Pearl River, but when it was on Canal street not broadway, so it was many years ago, but definitely worth a trip down there!

2. momochan1974 commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 3:05am

Pod (shop-pod.com) has those in bright colors. They aren’t on the website but if you give them a ring, you can order them by phone.

3. Anonymous commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 3:45am

Old Shanghai Online has nice lanterns, a little fancier, but they might have some ideas if you email them. They are very helpful. http://www.oldshanghaionline.com/housewares/decor/homedecor1f.htm

4. Topsy Turvy commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 11:51am

I bought this lantern in chartreuse from Anthropologie a few years ago, but they no longer carry them. You’re right, decor8, the Asian Ideas ones look like the same fabric & construction. Lana

5. Suki commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 1:10pm

I think China Town is a good place to look for the Lantern especially the Chinese New Year is coming soon

6. Anonymous commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 1:52pm

I also bought that same lantern at Pearl River! But it was about 6 years ago. Not sure if they have them at their new location, but it’s worth a try. Good luck!

7. Anonymous commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 1:53pm

8. Diana Evans commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 4:22pm

I have to agree to check out China Town…not sure if you will find the exact one…but it will be close…

Cheers,
    Diana

9. RT commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 7:37pm

LEEKAN DESIGNS IN SOHO HAS THEM TOO…

10. sfgirlbybay commented
    January 29th, 2008 at 10:35pm

I had this exact picture torn from a magazine when I was hunting down that lantern! And I found it at Pearl River!

11. Christine commented
    January 30th, 2008 at 2:16am

Hi – I bought this one and 2 other different ones on line at Papaya. This is the link: http://www.papayalicious.com

however, I don’t see them on her site now. Perhaps you could email her. Good luck – they are so great anywhere you hang them.

Christine
    Boston

12. sylphofthestitch commented
    January 31st, 2008 at 4:39am

These lanterns are impossible to find nowadays. I have three which I bought from a small store in Victoria BC. They bought them from a Chinese supplier in Seattle..this was about 7 years ago. Pearl River was selling them a few years ago – they aren’t anymore though. I have tried to find them for years. I would try smaller companies in the Uk if possible. I seem to see them in a lot of Uk design magazines which leads me to think there are more of them over there.