Inspiration

Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}

April 30, 2008

I am drooling right now as I browse the online portfolio of Rebecca Thuss, creative director, photo stylist, crafter, and wedding designer. This gives me so much inspiration as one of my goals set before me is to spend more time pursuing creative things in addition to my work as a blogger and writer. I have so many ideas in my head, I think my new apartment will give me an outlet for this as starting from scratch on a budget in a new country can’t help but inspire creativity, right? I will share my projects with you beginning in August once I’m blogging abroad. I can’t wait to get more involved in creative projects, all the hands on stuff that I love, again.

Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}
As I look at Rebecca’s work I think of my own ideas and excitement stirs within me. You must get these feelings when you look at beautiful things too. It’s like you know you should be doing more with your hands but time slips away. Rebecca’s work, most shown here has appeared in Martha Stewart Weddings where she worked for 9 years, may inspire you to get your hands involved in work you enjoy in case you’ve put that part of you aside lately. Time to change that, right? Rebecca currently has her own business, ThussFarrell, where she works alongside of her husband Patrick Farrell running a graphic design and photography studio in Brooklyn.

Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}
Ah, the joy of making things for yourself… I don’t know the details, but I do think it’s wonderful that Rebecca is out there now doing things for herself because this woman and her talent knows no boundaries — she’s amazing. I always admire people like Rebecca who leave behind solid careers in the corporate world to pursue their dreams. That takes a lot of courage and drive. Though given that I was also once in the corporate arena, I liked it very much and found security and opportunity there though getting out was something I always knew I had to do.

Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}Rebecca Thuss {Inspiration Overload}

No path is better, working for/with others or working for yourself, I know that being employed for 10 years working alongside top executives groomed me for better things. I just wasn’t cut out for staying there. I have a hard time keeping normal business hours , I was frequently late in the morning (an 8:3o arrival was considered late, most arrived around 7:30 or 8:00) but more than made up for it by staying sometimes until midnight and often did my best work after 3pm when most people starting leaving for the day. I realized a pattern — that I work best in the late afternoon into the night. I don’t like to work in an office now that I’m married, I really enjoy freelancing at home sharing an office with my husband who works here alongside me nearly full-time. It’s hard to know what’s right for some will be right for you, so in the end we have to follow our own gut and walk whatever path works for us at the moment. I can’t wait to see what her Rebecca’s career path leads her and where we will see her work popping up next.

Thank you Ez for telling me about Rebecca today, you’re right… She is an inspiration for sure!

(images from rebecca thuss)

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

• Reply katek April 30, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Heh, I had that photo of the rununculus/dogwood bouquet in my wedding inspiration folder for ages. Gorgeous. I love Rebecca’s style and am glad to see she’s doing gorgeous work on her own now. Wasn’t she at Blueprint briefly, too?

I’m with you on the night-owl tendencies. One of my biggest transitions in moving from a creative field (magazine writer) to a business setting has been the shift from getting in around 10-10:30 to getting in around 8:15. I still miss my bursts of energy at 10 or 11 p.m., when I used to get so much done around the house!

• Reply ellencrimitrent April 30, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Hi Holly,

I was never cut out for the corporate world either, in fact when I was at my last children’s wear design job I did not get a raise because they said I was not a “team” player. Oh really so when you hired me to revamp your line to make it sell better I guess I was just doing the “team” thing. I have since gone on to license my work very successfully I might add and to those boring horrible “team” players I hope you are having fun sitting in a ugly office doing the same old boring thing!! Ha its always fun to remember the reason why you leave such uninspired jobs. I am glad you did as well, I read your blog often and I myself live in Ma but South Shore. I had lived in Park Slope, Brooklyn before this for about 7 years after I graduated from Pratt.

Stop on by my blog if you have time, I am looking to see if anyone knows of some blog designers to help me vamp it up a bit. They would have to be in the Boston area so I can meet with them of course.

Thanks!

Say goodbye to corporate!! I mean look at what they have done to this country!!

Ellen

• Reply ellencrimitrent April 30, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Opps I forgot to give you my blog!! You see what happens when you try to be all things in your business your brain just goes!!

• Reply Tusset April 30, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I love RT!! I’ve spent countless hours (!) on her webpage. It’s a wonderful source of inspiration (and your blog too!). The only problem is that I might get to many ideas…

• Reply Cindy Ann Ganaden April 30, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Holly, You write the the most inspiring posts! I always like to hear about folks that are able to leave there corporate jobs and break out on their own! I’d love to hear more about what they find most challenging and rewarding about being self employed. Currently I still holding down a corporate gig (need to pay the bills) but I’d really like to be able to quite my day job and just do my own work. Holding down a full time job, raising a family and trying to get my licensing and illo. business off the ground is really hard. Sometime I feel like there isn’t enough hours in the day, especially if I want to get in the recommended 8hrs of sleep. I’m usually operating on more like 5.

Thank you for sharing Rebecca’s story!!

• Reply Samantha April 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm

gorgeous colors!!! Just stunning.

• Reply Anonymous April 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I’m just curious, do you ever re-read your own posts?

• Reply decor8 April 30, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Yes! I read my own blog and frequent my own archives. :)

• Reply Simply Me Art May 1, 2008 at 2:14 am

Wow, first time visitor and so glad I stopped in. off to read and get Inspired. Jamie

• Reply AnastasiaC May 1, 2008 at 4:45 am

She is totally inspiring – can she be any more creative! love her website – thanks for introducing us to such a creative gal!

• Reply Patches May 1, 2008 at 5:23 am

Beautiful things are inspiring and saddening. The initial “Wow, that makes me want to do 10,000 things!” is often followed by “There is just never enough time!”

So many creative people keep late hours, it’s when I get my best painting done.

• Reply Yoli May 1, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I really enjoyed this post and needed to hear it today. I too cannot work well in the morning. I am absolutely brain dead and cranky. My best work emerges in the evening, not even afternoon. Being a new mother of two I have to put my dreams aside for now. However, it is nice to read about you and your home office. Free to work your own hours.

• Reply olivier lalin May 1, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Welcome to the world of Passionate freelancers :(
    all the best in your new Life – And I know of Rebecca’s work – very talented

• Reply kat May 1, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Love Rebecca’s work and (like katek) also had some images in my ‘wedding inspiration’ folder at the planning stage! One of those stylists/creative people whose work really jumps off the magazine page.

• Reply Cakespy May 1, 2008 at 4:59 pm

You know what? You had me at cupcakes and ponies. Everything else was just the icing on the cake (sorry, sorry). ;-) Wonderful!!

• Reply Cher Ami May 1, 2008 at 7:06 pm

those table settings are amazing!

• Reply MeganEilise May 2, 2008 at 12:16 am

It was really uplifting for me to read this post today. I also work best on what my current profession considers “odd” hours and really feel about a million times better about myself and my quality of work when I’m working from home on my own odd-ball schedule. Thanks for a little bit of motivation on a day when I just wasn’t “feeling it.”

• Reply All Things Bright and Beautiful... May 2, 2008 at 3:21 am

Holly, you haven’t posted for 2 days! – this is not like you – jsut wanting to let you know that we’re missing you and hope that everythings fine- take care and Hugs FXOX

• Reply perfect bound May 4, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I may be making assumptions but did you know Rebecca Thus was the originally Editor in Chief of Martha Stewart’s Blueprint? She left after the first issue was unveiled and a new editor stepped in. It was quite surprising but perhaps she felt the same way you do about the corporate circle.

• Reply Furniture27 May 12, 2008 at 11:07 pm

That is an inspiring story. I hope that I can freelance some day.