Business

Visual Notes Blog

January 20, 2009

I met a very nice Finnish lady, Maaret, in Berlin last Autumn at a small business and blogging event that I helped pull together with the goal of encouraging those living in Germany to start blogging and share design from their part of the world because there is a really strong art and design scene over there –  Berlin is like an extra large Brooklyn. That’s why today I was so happy to hear from Maaret and learn that she launched a blog just before the holidays called Visual Notes.

Visual Notes BlogThis print is the work of from Sonnenzimmer in Chicago. Love his screen prints, this one is still available ($48) and looks really nice in Maaret’s Berlin apartment.

I like Visual Notes for many reasons, one being that it’s in English so more have an opportunity to read it and next, I like that she shows lots of finds from Europe which definitely makes it more interesting. There are so many design blogs out there now that I’m really hoping to see more localized content so I personally can learn more about the part of the world where the blogger lives and what is going on there when it comes to design. I think it’s a way we can all make our blogs stand out as a bit more unique if we add in some local stuff. When I’m in New Hampshire I sometimes talk about events and things in my local area (and Boston) and when I’m in my apartment in Germany you’ll find me talking about stuff I do and events I’m attending over there. I think it makes blogging more exciting when you can share what makes you proud about your city or country in addition to all of the international finds you may feature because certainly inspiration is never confined to one area. I digress…

In looking over Visual Notes today I came across a few favorites that I’m sharing below so you can get a sneak peek of what Maaret likes to blog about.

Visual Notes Blog Maaret shared with her readers Castle in Australia, a bedding company that also happens to carry a darling collection of hand stitched one-of-a-kind pieces on vintage French linen.

Visual Notes Blog
She also wrote about schubLaden, a company in Berlin who fits new furniture with vintage drawers. They do bespoke work, too. Love this!

Visual Notes Blog
I found out about Nadja Müller who is a designer in Berlin who makes some very unique things for the home – blankets, bedding, curtains, lighting, . More here. Everything is handmade!

Visual Notes Blog And finally Hanna Konala and her gorgeous illustrative work. She has a most inspiring blog, too.

Be sure to visit Visual Notes for more beautiful finds and congrats on your new blog, Maaret!

(images linked to their sources above)

20 Comments

• Reply Celine January 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm

the vintage drawers are incredible!

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) January 20, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Love those drawers!! Wish we had a company like that here in the States.

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Atlanta – City of One Way Streets and Home of the Varsity

• Reply Caro January 20, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I love this SCHUBLADEN. But they are really expensive. Aren’t they?

Caros last blog post: Illustrationen

• Reply Judith * Felicity Crew January 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm

oh, good to know! I’ve also been waiting for a more European-focused design blog and visual notes seems to be heading in that direction. great to see! thanks for sharing, holly!

Judith * Felicity Crews last blog post: Winter Wonderland – 5×5 original fine art photograph

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 20, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Beautiful! Off to check her out right now! So lovely! :)
    xo
    Melis

• Reply the domestic fringe January 20, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I like the style in these pictures…very simple and clean.

-FringeGirl

• Reply simplygrove January 21, 2009 at 1:26 am

Thanks for the tip! Her blog is great!!

simplygroves last blog post: Delicious…..

• Reply Lexy January 21, 2009 at 6:40 am

I love the idea of fitting new furniture with vintage drawers. I’ve been trying to nab my mum’s 6 perfect, gorgeous singer sewing machine drawers for that same reason, but I haven’t had any luck with it so far! I can’t make her part with them. I can drop hints though! (They’re only shoved in a corner of the garage anyway!)

Lexys last blog post: A little somethin’ trivial.

• Reply Anna January 21, 2009 at 7:31 am

What a lovely blog!!!!!!!

Annas last blog post:

• Reply ROOM design studio January 21, 2009 at 7:47 am

oh nice shops!!! thanks for sharing Holly!! and this vintage drawer idea is a great one !! I love visual notes!

ROOM design studios last blog post: Once Upon a Room ..

• Reply Purple Area January 21, 2009 at 8:13 am

Great post, thanks for sharing!!

Purple Areas last blog post: En trendig Bag Lady

• Reply porter January 21, 2009 at 10:12 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful introduction!! It’s a great blog!!

porters last blog post:

• Reply domesticinnyc January 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

Thank you so much for sharing this, these are great finds! I will definitely be checking out Maaret’s blog for ideas. I really love those prints by Hanna Konala. I’m always on the lookout for interesting art!

domesticinnycs last blog post: The Weekly Picks

• Reply france January 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm

whoa, FABULOUS the designs are truly inspiring. i have browsed through her blog and it did help me to have different ideas, it contributed to my job as a Retail Interior Designer.

• Reply Maaret January 21, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Wow! Thank you, Holly for writing about my little blog and for your kind words!
    And thank you everybody for your nice comments! I really appreciate that. It’s great to get feedback, because my blog is still in it’s beginnings.
    I’m totally thrilled!

Maarets last blog post: Marimekko’s spring-collection

• Reply Liz January 21, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Where can I get that poster? Why are there so many songs about rainbows. So cute!!!!

• Reply lilkim January 21, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Someone please tell me where she got the Rainbow Collection piece of art. I need to have it!

lilkims last blog post: Ain’t love grand

• Reply Dawn January 22, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Where can i find this print “why are there so many songs about rainbows?”

• Reply Maaret January 22, 2009 at 3:32 pm

@Liz, lilkim, Dawn:
    The piece “why are there so many songs about rainbows?” is a handembroidered piece available at Castle. You can follow the link mentioned in the post.

Maarets last blog post: Yellow mood

• Reply Dawn January 23, 2009 at 8:27 am