Creativity Series: Just Do It! {2}

It’s time for our weekly Creativity column on decor8! Last week we discussed mind mapping and some of us went back to childhood for ideas and inspiration. I remember hearing once that sometime you have to go backwards in order to continue moving ahead. Interesting thought, which is why I think mind mapping is pretty important. Did you get a chance to pull together your own mind map? Do you feel it helped you? Did some of your childhood interests surprise you?

In trying to decide what to talk about today, I imagined myself feeling totally uninspired and drained… What do I usually do on days when I feel anything but creative? You know, when ideas are not flowing, one feels bored to death with work or life in general.  It happens to us all. How do I begin to pull myself out of a creative rut? How do I stop negative thoughts from taking root and ruining my day?

Exercise. Whether it’s stretching for 20 minutes or hitting the gym, the positive impact of regular exercise on physiological functions has been extensively studied and confirmed — Exercise boosts creativity!

A simple walk around the block is refreshing and a good way to clear your mind. If I’m outdoors I like to focus on observing instead of participating by paying attention to the sights, sounds, colors, and patterns around me. Sometimes I bring along a camera or a recording device to capture a part of my walk that I find inspiring, whether it’s a building or a conversation that I heard in passing. It doesn’t have to be a sweaty gym routine. A simple walk is nice. Just getting outside to be alone and absorb my surroundings is often all it takes. And I always make sure that I turn off my cell – it’s ME time.

Many successful creative people exercise regularly to recharge and shift their thinking from the negative to the positive. They are first to admit that they have control over their emotions and can choose whether or not to feel bad, uninspired, etc. They take responsibility for their feelings and decide to feel good and if they don’t, they do whatever they can to make that feeling happen in a safe and healthy way.

Whether it’s Yoga, a walk around the block, or a sweat-a-thon at the gym I know first hand that creativity flourishes when exercise is part of my daily routine. When I was in Germany for 5 months, I walked 3-4 miles daily and during that time creative ideas flowed like crazy, I was super productive, and I exceeded a lot of the goals that I had set for myself each week. It was amazing, what a high when you feel 100% in control of your life and creative ideas come naturally! Now that I’m back in the snowy, freezing New Hampshire countryside with no sidewalks and strapped inside of a car all of the time, I walk 4 miles a week (2 weekly gym visits) and I’m not feeling nearly as creative. I see a connection between creativity and exercise in my own life. Maybe you can think about your daily routine. I’m certainly going to make changes, I started this morning when I went to the gym and as a result I feel very creative and alert today.

But enough about me. I thought it would encourage us all to speak to an Interior Designer based in Manhattan Beach, CA who is also a blogger and who keeps her creativity high through regular exercise. Megan Arquette authors the blog Beach Bungalow 8 and exercises 5-6 days a week (an hour daily) despite her busy schedule. Ideally she’ll do 30-40 minutes of cardio (running or swimming) and 30 minutes of weights during a single session. Megan wants to eventually fit in road biking or stand-up paddle  boarding (standing on a long wide surfboard while paddling) into her future routines. Go, Megan!

decor8: You’re an Interior Designer and blogger who apparently loves to exercise but I’m dying to know… did you ever hate it and if so, how did you motivate yourself to change?
Megan: I only hate it when I haven’t been disciplined, taken a week off and then know it’s going to get worse before it gets better. I’ve always fed myself the line that “even a slow, 20 minutes of running is better than nothing”. Once I’m out there, moving, zen-ing out, I’m always so thankful.

Holly: Let’s say you are blogging, or really into your design work and you notice that you’ve skipped exercise how do you handle that?
Megan: That’s really about making excuses. I can, realistically, always carve out 30 minutes to do some kind of workout. If I need to brainstorm, or I’m stuck on an idea, exercise provides the perfect time to allow the mind to ‘still’ itself and the creativity to get flowing.

Holly: What are some foods that help boost your creativity and make you feel great?
Megan: I need lots of protein, so I always have string cheese, turkey or hard boiled eggs in my fridge. I love cooking, I’m not that skilled, but I love creating something for someone and sitting down to share it. We were recently given a tagine. Not knowing what to do with this beautiful, conical, cooking vessel, I researched some Middle Eastern recipes that called for all sorts of combinations of exotic spices and proteins. Cooking is such a fun, fruitful and creative process.

Holly: If you belong to a gym how do you motivate yourself to go?

Megan: Well, I actually like going to the gym, I’ve never really needed motivation. I get more done when I’m there. But I will try and mix it up a bit by taking classes. I’ve input the classes that I like on my phone’s calendar with an alarm that sounds 2 hours before. This way, I can wrap up what I’m doing and get my mind readied for a good hour of hard work.

Megan Arquette, Interior Designer.

Holly: What are some exercise tips that you’d like to share with those currently not involved in a routine?
Megan: Don’t over do it in the beginning, you’ll become discouraged. No excuses. If you miss one day, go a bit longer the next few days. Keep at it and you will see change. Most of all, be kind to yourself. Don’t look in the mirror and beat yourself up. Love your body, no matter what it ‘appears’ to be ( believe me when I say these things, I’ve been there. I gained over 50 pounds with each of my pregnancies so the I know what it feels like to want to just give up before you begin) Also, go buy something you look good in and feel good wearing at the gym. Even if it’s a great pair of running shoes. The ego boost is priceless.

I’m happy that we discussed exercise this week because I believe that once you have a regular routine you are in a better place to start thinking about goals and dreams. How does regular exercise help you to feel more creative? Do you have a regular routine? What do you do? Have you been making excuses to not exercise and feel badly about it? Have you ever connected exercise to creativity? Did this topic encourage you today?

(images from megan arquette)

Posted by decor8 in real talk on January 22, 2009

1. Alicia commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 1:38pm

This is so true! Thanks for validating this Holly (and Megan). I sometimes feel criticized because I love to exercise and I’m already small but it just makes me feel good! It’s a great release from the stress of the day and it allows you to mull things over from the whole day, or plan something, or just be by yourself. I walk 2 miles to and from work every day and when I arrive I’m SO READY to take on the day, and I feel invigorated. Thanks for this.

Alicias last blog post: Floor Lamps Galore

2. michele maule commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 1:39pm

Yay for exercise!
    I love exercise. It totally helps me keep my stress and anxiety levels down while helping me keep my creativity going.
    Over the past year I made exercise part of my daily routine.
    I work out 4-5 days a week with 30-45 minutes of cardio, and some weight training, at a gym. It’s really hard to get started at first, but like Megan mentioned, if you make it part of your daily routine, it’s not as hard.

Great article :D

michele maules last blog post: I Heart My Bike…Original Mixed Media Painting

3. beachbungalow8 commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 1:40pm

Thanks Holly! this was fun to share.

Exercise is the best gift you can ever give yourself, mentally, emotionally and physically.

*m

beachbungalow8s last blog post: what she didn’t wear

4. juliette commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:07pm

I am not an exercise fan. I can only manage it if I have a goal ahead, like an event where all abilities can compete in their rank – indoor rowing has been a big help the past 10 years, but I had to get rid of my machine when we moved overseas. I also love being on the water, so I spontaneously joined an outrigger canoeing team (in Boston of all places!) and had a blast for 5 years! Trying something related to ‘fun’, yet also something that pushed me, was good. Club sports like rowing and canoeing were good for me when I lived by the ocean. All-ability events kept me motivated, as did my teammates.

When I had to work crazy hours in the city and spend most of my free time on public transportation, I was able to arrange my work hours with my boss for 3x/week pilates class. That was something I’d always wanted to try, and thanks to a flexible boss and company discount, I was able to give it a go. It was SO fun! It really helped my balance and posture too, and getting some de-stress time in the middle of the day made staying an extra hour at work to compensate totally worth it.

I’m now searching for a good alternative….I actually spent this morning looking at Wii and the Sports and Wii Fit….but I don’t think it’s going to ‘cut’ it. I also don’t think I have the floor space to do stuff like this at home. I live inland now, and don’t have a car. The gyms in our town don’t have rowing machines and the other equipment isn’t motivating for me. All the classes are at night in this area, and that’s usually when my husband and I finally get our down time together. Our local pool is always overfilled and swimming serious laps is impossible, something I had also previously enjoyed. I feel so STUCK so I’m definitely subscribing to the comments on this post so I can maybe get some ideas from other readers!

5. Anna @ D16 commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:10pm

Holly, will you please interview me about Creativity and the Art of Sloth? Because I am a master. ;)

I feel reeeeeeally lazy and sedentary after reading this. Aside from the 2 miles or so I walk to and from work from the train, I get ZERO exercise. I know I should, but I honestly do not know when/how to fit it into my life. (And I know that sounds like a cop-out, but this comes from someone who spends 4 hours a day commuting!)

Anna @ D16s last blog post: Wallpaper sale at Ferm Living.

6. decor8 commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:24pm

Anna please girl. You walk 2 miles a day and somehow you do not think that is exercise? You spend your weekends sometimes covered in plaster and paint and that is not exercise? You do A LOT.

I guess the point is that it does not have to be hard core. The goal is to use exercise as a time to clear your head, recharge, tap into your creativity, and be alone with your thoughts even if you are in a social setting.

7. Kathleen commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:25pm

I work a creative nine-to-five job in advertising. I swing by the gym on my way home from work to get my fitness on and decompress. In a way, exercise helps me come down from having to be creative and all in my head all day – I can just focus on my physical self. I usually try to run 1 or 2 miles (I am so not a runner) and then I will take a muscle conditioning, bootcamp or kickboxing class depending on the day of the week.

P.S. I think sex boosts creativity energy – and can burn 500 calories an hour!

Kathleens last blog post: A used kitchen.

8. Janelle commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:29pm

Exercise… With my background most people would think I workout regularly. I used to be a fitness professional and trained numerous, successful competitors. I got burnt out when I moved into a management position and left the industry. I know how great I feel when I exercise, but I haven’t been consistent in years. I realize that being in the industry and getting paid to stay fit was key to my level of fitness. Now that I’m out of the gym and away from my inspiration, I find myself struggling. I even have a home gym! Go figure!

I do feel that doing some sort of exercise, walking or stretching, promotes creativity. It gets the juices flowing! I love to walk my dogs and play ball with them. Fortunately they rely on me for this so it forces me to get out of the house — even when I’m depressed.

I feel empowered when I exercise and it drains some “lazy” out of me! I feel like I can do so much more in a day when I’ve done something physical. I especially like to weight train because I find it very rewarding. I see results faster from weights than cardio although the combination is ideal.

Maybe I’ll workout tonight… Thanks for the great topic Holly!

9. decor8 commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:33pm

Love the sex comment, too funny!

10. beachbungalow8 commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:38pm

btw, don’t forget, running around a city, up and down stairs, walking to work….all of that is moving and exercising. DON’T beat yourself up. You’ll get discouraged. Do what it is you can do. Just move. Baby steps are better than none.

beachbungalow8s last blog post: what she didn’t wear

11. lindsay commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 2:58pm

Uggghhh…you are so right. Exercising is easy for me in the summer, but come winter…I’m out. There will be weeks when I give it a go…but I usually fall out of routine. Then around April, I pop out of hibernation and hit the ground running again, because it’s time for damage control. Exercise really does wonders for the brain though, I agree.

lindsays last blog post: I Heart My Blogroll…

12. doreen commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 3:02pm

Great topic, Holly, I just came from a lecture yesterday on the benefits of exercise and health for cancer patients. But it applies to everyone. I suppose the brain benefits are the increased endorphins and sense of well-being, and oxygen that fuels the brain. Also, I had a qigong teacher that once said that in this culture we live in our heads. Any exercise, yoga, tai chi, cycling, walking, whatever, gets you out of your head to focus on the physical sensations of your body and that galvanizes you in the present moment. And that’s when the brain, unencumbered by thoughts of the past and future, is liberated.
    Exercise does not have to be regimented. Although I now enjoy a simple cardio and weight routine, walking has always been my exercise mainstay. I learned yesterday, that moderate amounts of exercise can have great health benefits. I also noticed last year when I was in France that the French get their exercise in the course of life (they despise the gym!). They walk everywhere. Our car culture and city design makes that difficult. But we can park further from our destination, use the stairs, etc.

If exercise were a pill, I think we would all be scrambling to take it!

13. Eleanor commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 3:25pm

I find I’m usually flooded with ideas and inspiration when I exercise (which is always running outside – I hate gyms) A large part of this has to do with the fact that I am always listening to my ipod. In fact, I can’t exercise at all without music! The combination of the endorphins from the running, the beauty of my running route (I run along the Isar, the main river in Munich) and music I love, both feed my imagination *and* help me decompress.

For those exercise-phobes out there, I suggest going to a nice art book store and just browsing. This never fails to get the creative parts of my brain all lit up…maybe you could walk there, just to get a little exercise ;-)

14. hazel commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 3:59pm

Great article! I started to exercise Dec.31st. I have yet to notice a difference in my creativity but… I do feel better about myself. I’m hoping to lose 60 pounds and be stronger!

hazels last blog post: A new Year!

15. donna commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 4:24pm

Funny I should read this article just as I was about to bail on my workout. PMS is so damn energy-sapping.

16. betz commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 4:29pm

thank you for this! I was surfing around feeling creatively stuck, read this, then immediately put on my shoes and went out for a walk! Better now!

17. cindy commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 5:05pm

I definitely see a direct correlation in my life between creativity, exercising (particularly walking), and taking care of myself in general. I have not been in a regular exercise routine or creating much art for some time. Excuses = low self-esteem and staying stuck. I’ve had wonderful experiences with walking outdoors and creativity in the past. It always allows me to get into ‘the zone’ (out of my head): in touch with my intuition, problem solving, energized, in touch with nature, beauty and inspiration–All major components of creativity. From reading this I am reminded again about taking baby steps (literally) to get myself UNSTUCK and back on track. Yes, it’s winter and freezing cold, but I could probably use a jolt! LOL! Thanks Megan & Holly

18. Little Gray Pixel commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 5:21pm

I’m loving this series! I just got around to doing the mind map you suggested from last week, and I posted my findings on my blog:

Thanks for the great ideas, and I look forward to next week’s!

Little Gray Pixels last blog post: Our Meeting Spot 4×6 fine art photo

19. cindy commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 5:21pm

Thanks Betz, now that’s taking action! Inspiring!

20. Averill commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 5:39pm

Great post, Holly!

I was a colliegate athlete (a rower, specifically) and I find it very, very had to find the motivation to workout on my own — I always had a coach/trainer pushing me! That being said, I do my best to work out a few times a week and I always feel better and more inspired when I do (even if it’s only b/c my head feels clearer).

If folks don’t already play, I highly suggest picking up tennis. I started playing tennis over a year ago because my husband was really into it and now we have a great time playing together. It’s been a lot of fun to learn a new sport and watch myself improve. Plus, with tennis, it’s social, the outfits are really cute and you something you can do most of your life!

Averills last blog post: LiveStrong. LiveLuxuriously.

21. Jenni Horne commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 5:51pm

I was just tickled to read this post today. I literally joined a new gym this week. And by today I feel so good and so very productive. Seriously it has helped clense not just the yuck from my body that I consume, but the yuck that boggs down my creative thinking. I look forward to tomorrow knowing that I have a regular rountine. And as I commented in your last series, establishing a routine as a full-time Mom is key to my overall success. I want my being creative to no longer be a hobby, but rather a career.

Jenni Hornes last blog post: Going Back to the Crayon Box

22. Deana commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 6:21pm

LOVE to exercise… it’s the foundation of my day & I switch things up every day to keep from getting bored & to keep my body guessing. Every day is something different….. Spin class, Zumba class, running, walking, & Step class. I just completed my 2nd 1/2 marathon last weekend, too… :-)

I really don’t think I could be very creative without it. It’s definitely a mood lifter & if nothing else, it’s gives me time to think of the next project I want to work on! :-)

Deanas last blog post: Sooooo SWEET!

23. annkent commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 6:25pm

Yes, exercise is so important and pre-children I was one of the first in line at the Y at 6:00 am when it opened. Now, post-children, that is not so often possible. And so, I have a treadmill at home and yet, even that is not the total solution. However, I am thrilled with a new DVD I ordered (and blogged about yesterday). It is the New York City Ballet workout! The workout is all about stretching, serenity, and grace! That’s what I need to start a hectic, pulled in a thousand directions, day!

annkents last blog post:

24. i.d. commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 7:11pm

Holly, this series is my favorite! :)

I totally agree about the benefits of exercise. I work out Mon-Fri, first thing in the morning. It’s important to set a routine so that it just becomes a habit. I do cardio for 20 minutes (either treadmill, bike or elliptical), and then 30 minutes of weights (doing upper body one day, then lower body the next). It makes a HUGE difference in my state of mind. This morning I was so stressed out but I forced myself to go to the gym and by the end of it I felt so calm and ready to face the day.

I read Gabrielle Reece saying somewhere that you have to treat exercise like work – some days you don’t want to go but you go anyways, right?

i.d.s last blog post: …And Burberry Boys

25. decor8 commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 7:21pm

Ann Kent- That DVD sounds great. I’m going to google it. I was up late last weekend and saw an infomercial of this video series that looked totally dysfunctional but fun….
    http://flirtygirlfit.com/ Have you heard of it? Anyone have it? I do NOT want that stupid POLE but I love the moves in the DVD where you do not need the stripper pole. The pole would totally not match my sofa! he he

26. daisy janie : scoutie girl commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 7:55pm

Exercise is critical to resetting or recharging so many “levels” in your body – including those that allow creativity to flow. For me, regular exercise provides an outlet for my stress! My husband also teaches kettlebell classes on the side – they’re a very efficient modality for power-endurance. We trail run, and we also do a boot camp class taught by a former Marine – if you can do half of what a Marine does in basic training, you’ll be on your way!!

Just yesterday, I posted about this very topic! I was featured on the front cover of a special newspaper insert and wrote about a little bit about it. If you’re curious, see it <a href=”http://daisyjanie.typepad.com/daisyjanie/2009/01/my-other-obsession.html’ target=”new”here.

daisy janie : scoutie girls last blog post: i’d like some curtains out of these, please

27. Renae commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 8:23pm

Holly,
    Thanks for reiterating the fact that exercise is important and gets those creative juices flowing. I have been exercising for over 25 years now and actually spent 17+ of those years in the industry. I feel sluggish and not productive at all if I miss a day during the week,,,,I most always take the weekend off unless my hubby and I hit the mountain bike trails. It definitely takes more discipline as we get older but the reward is great!
    I like your blog!

Renaes last blog post: Can’t Wait for Spring!

28. abby commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 8:39pm

oh, megan! you’re inspiring.

abbys last blog post: bursting with style

29. Joni Webb commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 9:06pm

Something tells me you would be just as beautiful even if you didn’t exercise, so don’t try telling me that if exercised I could look like you. pshaw!

love ya girl, lots. Proud to be your friend especially now that you’ve made the big time on Decor8.

Now, about that date………..

Joni Webbs last blog post: Toto: We’re Not in Kansas Anymore

30. Chelsea commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 9:20pm

I get so bored with normal workouts. The only thing I can really stick with is ballroom dancing because it switches up every time. I learn a new dance or a new step, I try new moves, harder lifts, add a turn, or whatever. It keeps it fun and interesting!

Chelseas last blog post: Good Morning

31. Jacqueline commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 10:09pm

Holly, i have also set aside some time to work on my “Mind-map” from things i liked to do as a child and posted it on my blog :

This week’s topic is great! I’m not a big fan of exercise but i do some walking around the block mostly focus on observing with my cammie.
    Kathleen, i love the sex comment too! n_n
    Megan is just so inspiring!
    Holly, thank you once again for such great post!

Jacquelines last blog post: One, two, three…

32. Heather commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 10:49pm

Well, that explains it! I just started a regular workout (3 days a week doing 40 minutes of pilates, 2 days a week weight training) about 3 weeks ago and I’ve noticed that I’m getting a lot more done and I have soooo many ideas. I just figured I was going through a hyper creative phase – didn’t even connect the fact that it had anything to do with the exercise! Here I was just doing it for vain reasons like not wanting to buy the next size up in jeans! Now that I know it’s also good for my creativity I might actually be able to stick with it! Thanks for connecting the dots for me :)

33. Sarah commented
    January 22nd, 2009 at 11:33pm

What a great post Holly and Megan! I totally agree that even a little activity or exercise can get the creative juices flowing. Working from home makes this even more crucial for creativity I think. Even a walk around the neighborhood with the family makes me feel better.

34. Aimee Elizabeth commented
    January 23rd, 2009 at 2:33am

Wow, this tip is a super important one! I am terrible at keeping up with my exercise “routine”. I feel really guilty about the “donation” I make to my gym every month. I’m thankful that last Thursday I committed myself to practicing all of your tips in this series. This tip will help me get my but in gear. Thanks so much for this, and bonus points including the interview with Megan, very insightful!

Aimee Elizabeths last blog post: it’s very funny, okey

35. picciolo commented
    January 23rd, 2009 at 4:42am

what an interesting subject Holly, I definately think that creativity and exercise are linked. It is so easy to just go home and sit in front of the tv/computer but a burst of exercise really does get you energised and your mind as well as your body working again. I cycle to work and exercise for around 30mins each evening, and it does result in me getting more out of my time, I just don’t think I had linked the two things together before!
    Thanks for helping me to see that exercise has more of a positive effect than I realized.
    : )

picciolos last blog post: !

36. amanda commented
    January 23rd, 2009 at 3:38pm

This is so true! I hate to “exercise” but I love to run. Rain, snow, hot, or cold, I’m still going to run. I get really crabby if I don’t :) But, I love it because I can think while I’m out there. I usually run alone and it’s my time to pray, work through things, come up with a new idea, or just clear my head. It’s so wonderful.

37. Heather commented
    January 24th, 2009 at 9:46pm

I loved that you posted about the Flirtygirlfit. When I started reading this, I immediately thought of some dance fitness classes I had taken and loved. I always wanted to try a class called Striptease at this hip workout place: http://www.thefirmmpls.com I love working out when it’s something you love to do, like dance. I’m not a “real” dancer, I just like to pretend I am. : )
    I love to excercise, but I have somehow gotten out of it since I started adding more work to my plate. I’m going to have to start up again. I miss it!

Heathers last blog post: Mind Mapping

38. Malene commented
    January 25th, 2009 at 10:58am

I am so impressed to hear how you exercise and are so disciplined! I am too lazy to go to the gym, but like to go swimming and salsa dancing.
    My creativity also seems to flow when I sleep…at least I often wake up with new design ideas clearly in my mind.

Malenes last blog post: Sunday Etsy Finds – Leaves

39. Jamie Watson commented
    January 25th, 2009 at 4:16pm

Absolutely fantastic post, something I rarely see discussed. Exercise also helps keep my mind feeling positive, which affects everything else. Thank you for tying in that link to exercise and creativity.

Jamie Watsons last blog post: Surf Fridays!

40. alis commented
    January 26th, 2009 at 9:06am

I love exercising, I had been doing cardio on the elliptical trainer(70 minutes)+ body weight exercises at home while watching an exciting movie or 50 minutes of running outdoors 5-6 times a week and was fully dedicated to this routine for nearly 2 years, but ever since I started my job I had to cut down to 4-5 days max, don’t ever have a chance to run outside, and only have time to start my workout after 9 pm. As a result I feel drained, I always struggle to finish my workout and am sleep deprived all the time. Not to mention the few pounds of weight gain. So I’m not feeling creative at all :(
    I am just wondering about the commenters who said they walk or cycle to work; how do you do that with your work outfits without getting sweaty/muddy/etc. ??

aliss last blog post: A Wabi-Sabi Accessory

41. Rona commented
    January 26th, 2009 at 2:25pm

This is a great time of the year for this post, when people are making new resolutions and getting out of bad habits. I work on the UES in NYC so during the warmer months, I commute in halfway on the subway, then get off at the bottom of Central Park and walk the mile to work through the park, and back down after work. I find that this has been a great way to decompress and zone out of what I focus on during the day. Watching kids play, lovers, dog walkers, it makes me feel like I am part of the city.

Throughout the year, I workout at the gym doing cardio, weights and laps in the pool. I recently learned how to freestyle swim and it’s made me so happy because it was a big goal of mine. I come home so giddy from the gym and so energized that I can concentrate on my photography work better. So thank you Holly and Megan for sharing, exercise is so important to one’s well-being.

Ronas last blog post: Covered Boats

42. the butterfly collector commented
    January 26th, 2009 at 10:55pm

Thankyou Holly and Meagan. You’ve really cheered me up today! I am feeling flat and tired and very confused about the direction my art is going in! I find it very hard to exercise around my little boys and find some ME time! Just this week though I’ve decided to pull in the Mini Trampoline from outside and try and do at least a half hour of jogging on it after they’ve gone to bed at night! I’m hoping it will give me a huge creative BOOST!

the butterfly collectors last blog post: Wistful Wednesday!

43. Shashi commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 10:02am

Great post, excercise has always been like therapy for me – it gets me through the blahs and the stressful times. Lately I’ve been struggling with what to do in the winter here in NYC. I used to go to the gym but hate getting home at 8 pm since there are no gyms near my house. And it’s too chilly and icy for me to go running outside. I decided to get some workout cds – pilates and a cardio one and that’s been really nice to workout in the comfort of my own home without trying to race to sign up for a class. But nothing beats being outside in the fresh air. Spring can’t come quickly enough for me!

Shashis last blog post: Day something or other

44. ROOM design studio commented
    February 6th, 2009 at 1:25pm

is it only me? I CANT excersice! I cant lie to myself and jon a GYM .. my little girl is 7 Months old and I work daytime and freelance at night time. My Hubby is a workout junkie and we have a treadmill.. but I like making excuses for not working out cz I “believe” in those excuses lol so much for not lying to myself lol

Great post! Saved as a fav!

ROOM design studios last blog post: Organized Closets..

45. Coco commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:39am

didn’t response here before because I hate sports… I hated gym classes in high school and got a F. I found it stupid to get a rapport on my gym classes didnn’t found it nessasery. Now i’ve a boyfriend who goes to the gym everyday! He is totally moody when he can’t go to work out. The absolute opposite of me if it comes to sport.

One year ago I went on a ten week course for belly dancng. I liked it but I was pregnant so I didn’t signed in for the next course. Now a new course will start 14th feb, I just found out. I let myself believe that its a sign that i just had to read that and so I signed myself in for this course! I feel so proud, i hope I’ll like it as much as i did again :) thx for your post!