Home Decorators Collection

I read about Home Decorators Collection this morning in the February issue of Real Simple magazine, have you heard of it before? News to me, I had to google them to learn more and found out that they’re a pretty good resource for furniture and accessories!

I could really have fun with the Noland Settee ($399) because first of all, I’d paint it either a bright color (like yellow) and reupholster the seat cushion with a fresh, modern print. It would look great painted navy blue or white with a red and white zigzag print on it – I’d love to put it in an entryway! Even a zebra print if painted red would be great. Fabrics shown from Rubie Green. You can cover a seat cushion like this in an afternoon with your trusty staple gun. Just don’t do what I did last time I used mine and stapled the center of my palm! Oh YAY. That felt amazing. So be careful with your tools ladies.

(image from home decorators collection)

Posted by decor8 in furniture on January 28, 2009

1. Denise Smith commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 1:04pm

I have been using Home Decorators Collection for years in my business. They are inexpensive, have excellent service and a very wide variety of options on most of their furniture. I have an excellent experiences with them.
    Not for those who only want a “label”, but for my clients, who value form, function and affordablity, HDC fits the bill.

Denise Smiths last blog post: Cool Stuff That’s Not Cheap

2. Kate commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 1:16pm

Wow. I’ve had terrible experiences with HDC. The furniture I bought (online) from them was absolute and total JUNK. Essential pieces to assemble it were missing and when I called and emailed customer service, the response I got (a week later) was to offer me $20 off a future purchase to keep the item as is and try to fix it myself! My father in law is quite handy and was able to get the furniture together but it didn’t take long to totally fall apart. I will NEVER ever shop there again. I’ve had WONDERFUL experiences with Ballard and other similar companies so why bother with HDC?

3. Denise Smith commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 2:13pm

I am sorry to hear that, Kate. I have had just the opposite experiences. They mailed a whole new piece TWICE (two different situations) when a part arrived broken.

Again, it is inexpensive, so you have to expect lower quality. Kinda like Ikea, you know?

I have had good luck with Ballard Designs as well. And for what it is worth that huge company-the one I will refer to as Earthenware Stable–that everyone in America loves so much–has absolute junk for quality. Just visit one of their outlets to see the aisles and aisles of broken merchandize.

Denise Smiths last blog post: The Demise of Domino

4. Kate commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 2:28pm

Denise – I wasn’t expecting Baker furniture at that price – I was actually expecting Ikea quality but felt what I got was something W-Mart-esque or worse. I wonder if others have had the same experience or was mine just a fluke?

5. Mackenzi commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 3:07pm

Kate- I’m with you….total crap. I’m way more inclined to use Ballard Design for clients who want good but not pricey. HDC seems really cheap and certainly not of a quality that will last.

Mackenzis last blog post: Le Owner: Buh Bye Domino

6. Making it Lovely commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 4:15pm

OK, I am in LOVE with that settee (and the idea of it painted and reupholstered).

7. decor8 commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 4:36pm

Nicole go for it, it’s totally you! And it would look DARLING in your home!

8. Mara commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 4:38pm

Kate– not a fluke. I had a HORRIBLE experience with them – quality wise and service wise. If you do a google search you’ll see tons of complaints and claims of fraud, etc. I would personally never, ever order from them again no matter how good the deal.

9. decor8 commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 4:46pm

Mara – That’s a shame. I read about them in Real Simple and they said in their mag that this place is a secret source for designers and I was reading elsewhere online that many people love them. It may be hit or miss when it comes to bad experiences. I had a bad experience with a few companies myself so I know the feeling. There was a company I was so insanely upset with that I wrote them several letters of complaint, told all my friends about my experience, I even blogged about them on my personal blog and then after I said I’d never order from them again I did — I ordered my dining room table and it arrived perfectly — on time, in beautiful condition, it was an amazingly seamless transaction. I find that second time can be a charm as most companies are constantly looking to improve — they don’t want to lose business.

10. Kate commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 5:37pm

Holly – perhaps this is one of those times where RS gets it wrong. I’ve had some GREAT experiences with products RS loved and some where I am convinced that their reviews are the direct result of paid placement from the manufacturer because the product couldn’t possibly have graced their pages otherwise. That’s what makes blogs like yours such a valuable resource – folks on the ground can dish on their experiences – as you did – with vendors. I have several pieces of furniture from the store Denise commented on that I just love and I had an OUTSTANDING customer service experience with them when something was delivered damaged (and one with their competitor “Box & Jug” as well), but I know not everyone does. Perhaps this is a function of all the outsourcing these big box stores do – some of their vendors deliver quality and some don’t!

11. Denise Smith commented
    January 28th, 2009 at 6:39pm

Kate– box and jug!!! I love it. We may agree on some things afterall! (I was thinking about this today. I thought perhaps my designation as a decorator ensured better service—ugly, I know— but I realized that one of the times mentioned above, my client completed the entire transaction. Now truth be told. It has been 15 months since I have ordered from HDC so perhaps this is a new policy of tough returns?

And for what it is worth, Box & Jug has a Perfect record with me, too. Perhaps you are right. Tons of the stuff comes over from China, so a lot can happen!

Denise Smiths last blog post: The Demise of Domino

12. Sarah commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 10:47am

Holly,

I think HDC is a rival to Ballard Designs, I have noticed that some of the products are similar. HDC is at a lesser price point than Ballard.

13. Michelle commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:36pm

Thanks so much for including Rubie Green!! My jaw dropped when I spotted it today :) And as for HDC, I used to work with their team while I was with domino (sniff, sniff) and HDC couldn’t be more kind or sincere. I believe their heart is in the right place and that they’re trying to offer affordable style to the masses, but perhaps from the sounds of it the quality hasn’t always been the best? Maybe they’ll make some improvements in the future :)

Michelles last blog post: Introducing: Lonny

14. Maggie@Home Decorators Collection commented
    November 17th, 2010 at 2:49pm

That is a brilliant idea! I love the zebra print design.This is a great tips for me
    to redesign the old furniture to save money. excited to hear more tips from
    you.:-)