Crafty Home Studio Space

Speaking of spaces where women create, Tamar from Nest Pretty Things in Vermont contacted me over the weekend with photos of her newly designed arts and crafts studio – it’s full of positivity and warmth! I’ve been thinking about having my own room again dedicated to creative pursuits, an idea that I plan to put into motion in the months ahead. It also means I will have to move but I’m okay with that because I’ve realized that I can no longer accept my current space as being sufficient enough. It’s not, I need the space. I work from home, it’s important to have plenty of room for the many projects I have my hands in right now. I fantasize about how I want my dream room to look, I can see it so clearly… but until I can touch this dream I’m living through others, planning, thinking, and saving money!

Do you currently have a “you” room in your home? If so, would you like to link to it below in the comments section? If you do not, tell me about your dream room or point me to a photo of it online. I’d love to see and exchange some inspiration today! You can see more images and read about her studio space here.

Thank you Tamar for sharing!

(images from tamar at nest decorating)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours, inspiration, small business on February 09, 2009

1. Gina commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 2:55pm

So lovely!

2. Denise Smith commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:14pm

Don’t judge me. I work, sleep, read and watch tv in my…

bedroom. I know, I know. This is against what most experts recommend. Still, I consider my room my haven. Trust me when I say I have NO trouble sleeping! And I love to work in bed. I would do it all day if I could.

My husband offices out of our room, too. Which is less than desirable but not completely horrible. I have trained him to stop using the speaker phone. :)

Denise Smiths last blog post: Black & Brown: The Fave of Frenemies

3. JENNIFER RAMOS commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:16pm

Her space is really cool looking….i saw some really high ceilings which i really like! Oh btw…I finally got my chair…its the white one…check out the pics on my blog.

Jen Ramos
    ‘Cards & Prints You’ll Love…’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

4. Sarah commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:17pm

Ooooh! Such a fantastic transformation! I LOVE the vase in the top photo!

I recently reorganized and revamped my home studio and my good friend Megan came over and took some photos!

5. SallyF commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:20pm

believe it or not I do my stuff from this teeny tiny space, tho it’s not always this tidy! http://twitpic.com/1ejw4

SallyFs last blog post: Bramble plush puppy dachshund

6. cdelphine commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:22pm

I love looking at pictures of people’s offices/studios so that I can dream of one day having my own. Well-organized craft supplies just make my heart go pitter-patter :)

7. Lexy commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 3:55pm

Love this space!! I work from home too, and have converted a spare bedroom into my art room. BUT, I still have a big gaping hole in the wall (a wardrobe with the doors off) where I will one day have all my shelving, so I think I might have to save sending my photos to you until they are done, which will hopefully be in the next couple of months!

You’ll have so much fun setting up your space! I think it’s my favourite room in the house!!

Lexys last blog post: The mug shot:

8. karina commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:00pm

I do not have one and I am desperate for one, we are building a new bigger house,I hope to move soon. every woman needs a room of her own.

karinas last blog post: The stylish bloggers

9. Agnieszka commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:04pm

The studio is lovely – so colorful, organized and inspiring! :-)

I have a small crafty attic… and it’s organized a bit like a kitchen – there’s my grandma’s kitchen table, jars, jugs, cookie plateau, spice containers and wool rowing pantry make me feel warm and cozy, like in a real kitchen:

Agnieszka

Agnieszkas last blog post: secret recipes / sekretne receptury

10. Rachel commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Oh yes! I definitely have a “me” room. I’m a graphic designer, and I work from home, so when we bought our new house, I decided to go with my newest favorite color for my office — coral. I accented it with pale blue accents, and I’m just in love every time I go in there. It’s too fun! Here’s the link to the post about it:

Rachels last blog post: I love stripes, but . . .

11. Kathrin commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:10pm

Thank your for the inspiration. I actually have the luxury of a large room for myself where I can do all the creative projects I am planning to do sometimes IF I ever get around to cleaning out all the crap I just dump in there because there is so much space. Okay. When I am back from my vacation I will finally clean out the room. Sew the curtains from the great fabric I already own 2 years. And finally get started on all those creative projects I have in the back of my head.

I love the ribbons all so accessible. I think I’ll copy that. And I am thinking about ordering the poster from Madebygirl. Great stuff, Jennifer

12. Tanya commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:12pm

Oh this is very inspiring. I have a loft that I’m trying to pull together but it doesn’t look anything like this….yet!

13. decor8 commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:12pm

Agnieszka & Rachel – Great spaces, thank you so much for sharing them. :)

14. Coco commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Ah, I really want to have my own private place to work on my (very few but still a bit) crafts… and to store my craft papers, fabrics, sewing machine, books, etc. I tried to let my boyfriend understand I needed a room but he wouldn’t listen ;-) I’m joking a bit because the problem is that we don’t have any rooms left over. We have two children with each their own room, our room and the attick… the attick is full with stuff from my boyfriend!! Yes, I do have a my own desk and chair their and one cabinet to put some of my stuff in there but its really not enough. And the desk and chair are at a corner in the attick so I cant put my sewing machine there because there isn’t enough room to work than anymore (from the sewing machine to the ceiling I mean) and besides that there isn’t any natural light coming in there…its really too small to call it a work area.
    So no working space for me, Ill keep dreaming

15. lauren commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:22pm

I am lucky enough to have an attic all to myself for crafting. Of course, part of that is because it’s so ridiculously hot up there 3/4 of the year, but it doesn’t bother me any!

16. Concha commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:52pm

I have a room that triples as sewing room, dining room and office. I work from home (writing a master’s thesis, doing some work for a Professor and managing my Etsy shop) and this room is where I spend my days!

You can check it out here:

Conchas last blog post: Sew Mama Sew: Tell us about your stash!

17. B commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:54pm

I did a little post about my dream office last year: http://cuttingsonablog.blogspot.com/2008/10/la-oficina-de-mis-sueos.html. However, right now, I dream of working in a big, sunny kitchen, overlooking a beautiful garden… I wonder why!

18. jen commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:55pm

hi holly,

tamar’s room is gorgeous – it really is such a positive, happy space! thank you for sharing.

if you get the chance please take a look at this pic: http://flickr.com/photos/faeriefurballs/3267832656/. i’m still in the process of getting my room together…i painted it gray several months ago (it was a deep yellow before) and i’ve been a bit slow. i love my space though – i’m in there all day!

jens last blog post: Hipsters, Evolution and Vintage Buttons

19. Jennifer commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm

How could you NOT be creative in such an inspiring atmosphere! So fun!

Jennifers last blog post: My Interview on Heart Handmade!

20. Rachel commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 5:30pm

You’re welcome! It’s one of my favorite rooms in the house — I’m lucky that my husband is so accommodating and is cool with my love for color! He even enjoys hanging out in there to pay bills from time to time! ;)

I’m in the throes of color selection right now for our master bedroom. I wish it were as easy as the office . . .

Rachels last blog post: I love stripes, but . . .

21. Viv commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Lovely room! I’ve got to get cracking on my study. The other rooms in my home are almost done so I’ve really no excuse. These photos are inspiring, thank you.

If you would like to see my renovation/decorating projects you can check them out on my blog http://www.ishandchi.com

I haven’t posted photos of the cluttered, disorganised and drab study though. Maybe I should but at this stage I’m in denial that this room exists *sigh*

Viv xx

Vivs last blog post: Dining Rooms

22. marné commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 5:51pm

This is so timely, I’ve been hard at work on my studio for the last few weeks. Below is a link to some before (yikes!) and after pictures. I still have lots of little projects to do before I consider it complete, but it’s such a huge improvement already. I actually took the day off work today just so I could putter around in there :o)

If you’re interested, there’s more on my blog about the whole thing. Later today I’ll be adding more pictures.

I love seeing the creative spaces of others, so inspiring!

marnés last blog post: scarf series II sneak peek

23. rowena commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 5:58pm

When you mentioned dream studio, I thought I would share the DREAM dream. This flicker stream… it is amazing.

For now, I work in a corner of my bedroom, which I am setting up to be a retreat, or a corner of the family room while the kids play. Or I take my paints and recline on the couch while watching tv and paint there. I know. Very untraditional, but I say, whatever works.

Here’s one of my current spaces… not really inspirational, but a work in progress, along with a smaller pretty space that is not quite as aspirational as the first link.

rowenas last blog post: A Room/Closet/Corner of Her Own

24. Jena commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 5:59pm

Wow! I love your office! I am a huge fan of colorful things, so this grabbed my attention.

I would love to, one day, have something similar.
    Thanks for sharing!

Jena.

Jenas last blog post: Colourful Inspiration

25. Megan commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 6:05pm

Oh wow, I am jealous of that second photo! Very inspiring!

26. Nora commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 6:35pm

Here’s my happy little crafting space…

27. lindsay commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 6:39pm

My studio consists of 6 Ikea shelves in the laundry room & a small cabinet my Grandad made for me when I was in college. I work on the dining room table and store shipping supplies and my enormous printer in our coat closet. The funny thing is, last summer I leased a 500sqft. studio because I “needed more space”…after having the studio for 3 months I gave it up. It never felt as comfortable there, as I did working from home. The space swallowed me whole and made me feel so uncomfortable. It also felt very excessive, driving to work, paying the extra rent, paying a second electric bill. I donated everything I had used to decorate the space and came back home, to work from my cramped quarters. (We have a 984 sqft. home, 3 bedrooms, no basement…all housing myself, my husband and our daughters, 2 & 5) As it turns out, more space isn’t always better :)

lindsays last blog post: black + white

28. Gina commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 6:54pm

What a great topic- I have been working on my home “office” for some time now- It’s nice to see a work space that is inspiring! I would love to see how others put together their “creative” space.:)

Ginas last blog post: Eggplant Cotton Jersey Ruffle Pillow

29. Katie Stephenson commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 8:59pm

I’m happy to say I don’t lust for anything more than I have (which is a little unusual for me) as far as my workspace goes. It is tiny, bright, and it has the best view out of any window in my house. http://tinyurl.com/dbgfk9

Katie Stephensons last blog post: Feathers I Screenprint

30. Johanna commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 10:20pm

Eye candy! I love to be surrounded by colorful, pretty little things!
    I am in the process of building a big craft room from the ground up! My husband had to have a room in a certain place on our addition which left the need to build another room. He suggested in be MINE! I am so lucky, I must say! The walls are finished and we just put a sample color on the walls. two of the walls will be a yummy tangerine color. There will be custom shelves and cabinets along the walls. A desk on each side, one for sewing and one for jewelry! An island in the middle with a cutting top (if I can find how and where to have a top made) and shallow drawers for paper (inspired by Martha!). I plan to start documenting the room on my blog. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. And I thank the many people who post their beautiful personal art spaces on blogs and flickr so others like myself can be inspired!

Johannas last blog post: T.G.T.M. – Thank Goodness Tomorrow’s Monday!

31. Julie commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 10:58pm

Oh, I love all her fabric all stacked up. I just want to play in it. :)

I just set up a little corner of our bedroom for my crafting/sewing area. I love it because I finally have a space I can escape to and shut the door. It’s all neat and organized and I can find everything I need in seconds. I’m still working on the rest of the room, need to paint, make and hang curtains, and find just the right bedding. But it’s all coming along!

Julies last blog post: A good night sleep

32. Deana commented
    February 9th, 2009 at 11:16pm

I get lost in here for hours on end…

:-)

Deanas last blog post: Well, this is exciting!

33. Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 12:00am

Love the lightness of it all, with the bright colors of her “stuff.” So pretty!

34. carlene commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 12:48am

I recently organized my teeny tiny studio/office; I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

carlenes last blog post: what I’d buy…

35. Kait commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 12:55am

You have SUCH a fun blog! I have become a huge fan. I am somewhat new to the blog world, and have used a picture of yours but absolutely linked you so people can check you out! Thanks for sharing such great things!

Kaits last blog post: happy noses!

36. Kim @ The TomKat Studio commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 3:12am

When I was searching online for inspiration for my own studio makeover, I ran across these beautiful photos of Heather Bailey’s workspace:

Talk about DREAM room! A few weeks later, I found out we live in the same town! Maybe she’ll stop over and give me some tips! :)

Kim @ The TomKat Studios last blog post: Project Nursery: It’s Official!

37. Hummmlan commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 3:38am

Such cozy craft space!

I have a little crafty space in my home. I love spending time there!
    In my blog under “Corners of my home” i have some photos of my little crafty home studio space.

Hummmlans last blog post: I ? Yarn!

38. Travelingmama commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 4:13am

Here is mine…very hard at work!

39. Kate commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 6:02am

Sooooooo pretty! I love the bookshelf full of light and colour, very inspiring.

Kates last blog post: Caravan Style

40. Stephanie F commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 8:13am

Wow Tamar has such a lovely, colorful space with such beautiful natural lighting!

I’m lucky enough to have a spare bedroom that we converted to my studio several months ago. A big vintage rectangular dining table has been my desk for years now because it’s large enough to fit my laptop, extra monitor, stack of books, sketchbooks and painting supplies–it’s definitely the centerpiece of the room.

The rest of my space is taken up by many shelves full of art supplies, boxes, printing and shipping supplies and bits and pieces of inspiration that I like to have around :)

Now if we could just find a new home for the treadmill in the corner!

Stephanie Fs last blog post: A Sweet Valentine’s Day Freebie For You :)

41. Hazel commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 8:38am

Wow, I could never be that tidy. I have an office on my third floor, but it’s too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Too far from the postman and the dog.

Luckily for me I’m a researcher and now I do most of my work in the dining room. My husband jokingly says I have the nicest office, with my antique “board room table”, waiting room (my living room) and fully stocked pantry – my kitchen. The downside is I do have to shift everything into a banker’s box at day’s end.

Hazels last blog post: The Flowering Calendar in Claude Monet’s Garden.

42. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 9:04am

Such a beautiful space! Lovely and wow! All that fabric lined up neatly in the shelves….yum!
    xo
    Melis

43. beki commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 9:09am

I love my “me” space. At the moment it’s in need of a re-do, but I still love it. I plan to paint the floor and do some rearranging. It’s nice to have a fun, creative space to escape to when things get hectic. http://artsycraftybabe.typepad.com/artsycrafty_babe/2008/09/i-can-see-the-f.html

bekis last blog post: funky little quilted bag

44. Samantha commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 9:18am

She’s got a LOT of great light in her studio! Makes me want to knock down some walls for floor to ceiling windows in mine! I just posted pics of mine yesterday here:
    15clove.blogspot.com

Samanthas last blog post: Sterling Silver Coral Sillouette Pendant Necklace

45. Amanda commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 9:40am

I recently finished a makeover of my Sewing area – new paint, furniture and a MAJOR culling and organizing of the crafty supplies. The new area is calm and organized, when it was super cluttered I found that I avoided finishing projects, now I love working in my space!

Here’s the blog post: http://redjetwhistle.blogspot.com/2008/12/sewing-area.html

Amandas last blog post: Playskool Alphabet Animal Part One

46. Robin commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 10:33am

This is my little office space right now. I’m in the process of making it more organized, but all I’ve done so far is repaint it. It used to be beige. I’m a photographer and it’s actually completely impractical to have an editing room that’s bright blue, but it helps keep me sane. I want to trade that long table for an Ikea Expedit bookshelf turned on its side, and I know that I need some task lighting on my desk.

I keep all of my photo studio equipment on the other side of the room. It’s contained to one closet but always spills out.

47. Betsy commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 11:01am

This is really beautiful. I can’t want to have a creative retreat – *sigh*.

48. Terri Conrad commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 11:15am

LOVE your site – chalk full of eye candy, merci!
    I just posted earlier this week about my newly reorganized studio . . .want a peek, come visit at http://www.terriconraddesigns.typepad.com

happy happy day to decor8

warmly
    Terri Conrad
    Terri Conrad Designs

Terri Conrads last blog post: Natural Love

49. Louise Angus commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 12:41pm

I am so in love with the painted desk… too cute!! Im dreaming of the day i own my own house so i can have a creative retreat.

50. meghan commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 1:35pm

my office is currently housing a baby…so in the meantime I’m stuck in the mudroom- which is okay…but someday (in 2 years hopefully) the baby will need a bigger room and I can claim his as mine….
    so here is what it looks like now…

however, now, i’m overly inspired to just fix up the mudroom to more of my liking…afterall 2 years is along time to wait AND this is my home office- where all my creativity is supposed to be brewing….time for a makeover!

meghans last blog post: Back to School- sorta!

51. Katie Lake commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 2:53pm

Since I recently had to move back in with my dad I have dedicated a corner to be my “office”. I am almost finished putting it together and will be posting pictures on my blog by the end of the week.

Katie Lakes last blog post: Projects

52. muralimanohar commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 5:16pm

I have a space..and I adore it: http://miscellanyofme.blogspot.com/2008/06/house-proud.html But this all reminds me I am about to lose it, since we are going to be moving to a much smaller space in the very near future. My heart is breaking. :( My dh’s will, too, when my creativity starts spilling back out into the rest of the living space, when mine is gone. :p

muralimanohars last blog post: Dying light..

53. holly mcdowell commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 6:32pm

here are some photos of my studio…
    (it is quite wee… but i love it.)

holly mcdowells last blog post: when we move to the country.

54. Missy Lee commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 7:30pm

I have always wanted to have my own room dedicated to creative projects. I think that one of the reasons why I have never completed much is because it requires a lot of work to pull everything out of it’s own bins, work, and then make sure to pack everything back up. I want to be able to have everything open & free for me to use and my disposal. One day, One day! :)

Missy Lees last blog post: via Decor 8
    These collages are something I have always wanted to…

55. Emily commented
    February 10th, 2009 at 8:47pm

Missy’s comment above is funny because I just ran across a Martha Stewart article about her (huge, lovely, absurdly organized) attic craft space. It was totally unattainable for my world, but she said one thing that really struck me–something along the lines of how it’s a luxury to be able to work on a project and not have to pick everything up every day. When dinner comes around, my “space” reverts to its initial purpose–dining table! I would love to have an office….someday!

Article here: http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/marthas-craft-room

Emilys last blog post: Blog overload (and a little daily beauty)

56. Leslie commented
    February 11th, 2009 at 5:24am

So many beautiful spaces…I am lucky enough to have my own room to be creative. Its so wonderful being surrounded by all my clippings and photos etc. I just need to be a little more organised – its on my list of things to do. It is great to be able to leave projects as is, till I find time to get back to it.

In amoungst the other stuff there are a couple of my craft space here

Leslies last blog post: New Projects

57. ericka commented
    February 11th, 2009 at 9:08am

I create all over our little abode..here is a little tour(although the fridge is no longer as kitschy & whimsical:):

58. visualingual commented
    February 12th, 2009 at 9:18am

I love this studio space! Here’s mine:

visualinguals last blog post: New VisuaLingual Work at MiCA 12/v

59. Kim commented
    February 12th, 2009 at 8:20pm

Here’s a little section of my work space that I photographed for my blog. I think Tamar would approve of the all the colorful thread spools!

Kims last blog post:

60. Beth commented
    February 13th, 2009 at 8:57am

I dream of having a new bright white space in my new home–we’re looking for the perfect place now! Here is my art studio–I did sewing, quilting and printmaking from here. I LOVE my desk. I had it custom made from a Pottery Barn idea–but mine is BIGGER!

61. jennifer m ramos commented
    February 19th, 2009 at 1:55pm

Yes! I do have a room that serves as my workspace. I have recently moved things around, but there’s a whole photoset on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/textile_fetish/sets/72157594260050055/ I like the Nest space better! The perfectly stacked fabrics and ribbon on a dowel rod. . . .lovely!

62. megan commented
    April 2nd, 2010 at 6:28am

My little home studio has been moved so many times; it amazing I don’t get lost trying to find it daily. With a teenage, and a toddler, it seems as if their need for space comes first. I put up with it for my own sanity.As of now, I currently have zero photos of my work space…. but one day it will be beautiful. (Just as soon as these lovely children give me some room. hahaha)
    .-= megan´s last blog ..the garden is in bloom…2 =-.

63. S.K. commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 5:01am

My studio space is tiny, but has to think big. I have to wear a lot of hats. Everything from pre production to matting and framing the images. Oh and I have to store all the supplies. the wonderful part is I love what I do. I always enjoy viewing spaces where other women create. I am inspired. Tamar seems organized and surrounded by splashes of color.