Color Inspiration

New Column: Color Me Pretty

July 16, 2009

I’m so excited to tell you about my big news — I’m taking on a guest writer to join me for the next 6 months here on decor8. I’m so excited! I thought that I’d introduce her to you via a short interview along with what she’ll be sharing with us and when. Are you ready? Meet Leslie Shewring from the new blog Creative Mint launched just a few months ago in April. I was instantly impressed by her blog and vision and thought that she would be perfect to come on board here at decor8 to share her color boards and inspirations with all of us twice monthly. Her column will run on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month until the end of January 2010 and it will be called “Color Me Pretty“.

New Column: Color Me Pretty

Leslie, a designer, wife and mother from Los Angeles, will share her color inspirations by laying out found items collected in her home to inspire the decorator in us all. It will also be fun for designers, artists, even those who scrapbook to see her layouts because the colors can inspire so many and will be particularly helpful for those of you who feel like you’re in a bit of a color rut. Leslie, like me, loves flowers so no doubt you’ll always spot some of her lovely arrangements in her photos too. With that, here’s a little chat I recently had with her along with some beautiful pics that she shot for this post to demonstrate to you exactly what she plans to do in the weeks to come. The color theme she has selected for us today is Pink Lemonade. Her first column will debut on Monday, August 3rd so stay tuned! And P.S. don’t miss the advice her professor gave her – priceless – see below for that!

New Column: Color Me Pretty

As a new blogger, what are you trying to accomplish via A Creative Mint? Leslie: To be honest I set up my blog as a way to force me to be more creative instead of just passively watching other people create. I wanted to be held accountable in some way even if it was just to a handful of friends. When I have a few people witnessing what I do its harder to slack off!

What made you come up with the name A Creative Mint? Leslie:There were a bunch of names I was trying to pick from over a weekend and this one was the favorite.

What is your favorite color palette from your Flickr folders and why? Leslie: I really do not have one. I sort of explore a palette idea and then move on. The colors provide the design problem for me for the week. The joy is in the process of finding the flowers and items in the color family that work well together and then styling and photographing them. Sometimes this means tearing apart my little house or madly driving to the LA flower district but that’s ok.

What inspires your layouts? Leslie: There is not any one thing that inspires me. With that said, I am inspired constantly. Everywhere I look I am thinking that is interesting, that could be good for this or that.

Where do you go online for inspiration? Leslie: I love blogs and retail sites. I just started on Flickr this spring and it is very inspiring and addictive. I love Martha Stewart too – I have been a loyal reader since 1991!

What do you like most about the blogging community? Leslie: I love how you can find creative peers easily. I am inspired and humbled daily by the incredible talent I am now aware of due to blogging. As well, being a stay at home mom can feel a little isolating at times and the blogging community is an easy way to connect and learn.

Least? Leslie: I am not very tech savvy so I find my new computer life a little challenging at times. I am also still trying to figure out my digital camera, this causes me some minor frustration.

New Column: Color Me Pretty

New Column: Color Me Pretty

New Column: Color Me Pretty

What do you do offline for refreshment/inspiration? Leslie: I am a design magazine junkie. There is nothing like the luxury of a few quiet moments with a new magazine and a cup of coffee or tea! Some of my favorites are Livingetc, Donna Hay, Maisons Cote Sud and Selvedge. I also love to check out little shops in the different towns around LA with my family in tow. Of course traveling is always an inspiration boost. I did a lot of it for work before I had children. I think there was a period when I was flying almost every week for nearly a year! These days I am around the house but I always feel refreshed after a trip home to where I grew up on Vancouver Island and Whistler.

What are some of your favorite online shops? Leslie: I am new to Etsy but could get lost in there. Like a lot of people, I love what Jenna Lyons has done with J.Crew! I often go to Michaels for crafts and Dick Blick for art supplies. The French General has wonderful crafting items too. There are unique fabrics at Purl Soho. I love anything from Japan! I cannot imagine my life before Amazon!

What is your favorite color and what feelings does it evoke? Leslie: White. It is clean, fresh and simple. I love how it makes other colors pop. I like how art looks on a clean white wall. I like how people look wearing white. I like how different light sources reflect off white paint. I like how food looks on white dishes. I could go on and on. I really love all colors and it is just too hard to choose one so I always come back to white.

Do you dream of living someplace else? If so, where and why? Leslie: I often catch myself dreaming of living in the country somewhere and having a barn behind the house to work out of. I love barn architecture with its big lofty ceilings and old wooden floors. I would probably have to add windows but that would be easy and then of course paint it white! There is something idyllic and sort of nostalgic for me about growing my own food. Skipping out to my garden to pick fruit, vegetables and flowers. I am giggling at myself as I type this because I have been addicted to the energy of cities for the last fifteen years. It is the constant fun of craving for what I do not have.

What is your dream profession? Leslie: I love the design field so it would have to be something within it. A fabric designer comes to mind. I have not tried this and think it would be pretty dreamy to see my own line of fabrics.

Tell us about your hobbies… Leslie: I love watercolors. I just got into screen-printing. I love gardening. I love cooking. Of course photography, which I just got back into. I would love to dust off my little sewing machine too. There really is not enough time in the day to do all the hobby things that I love!

It’s important to be authentic and live as you are, and to do things in life that make you happy. How do you define authenticity and personal happiness? Leslie: Being authentic and happy comes from being consistent with who I am at all times. Not trying to be something or someone else for other people. I struggled with this when I was younger. Nowadays, I am who I am and my family and close friends know that I do not sugar coat things. I try to speak my mind. I try to do things I love. I try not to struggle with things that don’t really matter. I am a work in progress and some days are better than others!

What do you think defines success? Leslie: Being creative. Inspiring people. Giving back to people. Being able to provide for my family.

New Column: Color Me Pretty

New Column: Color Me Pretty

New Column: Color Me Pretty

What is the best advice anyone has given you and have you followed it? Leslie: A professor in architecture school said your life is your biggest design project. Get off the couch and start designing your life exactly how you want it. This may take time and may be done in small steps but eventually your life will start to look like something you can be proud of. There have been times when I thought this to be utterly impossible but it is not. I know you have probably heard this kind of advice before but it stuck with me. Sometimes advice is more about timing, someone telling you something at the right time so that you are actually able to hear it.

Thank you Leslie for joining us today and on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month going forward here on decor8! We all look forward to your Color Me Pretty column!

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply simply hue July 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Leslie, Leslie, Leslie! These are amazing!!! What a great interview, too. :)
    .-= simply hue´s last blog ..Eva Lindh Interior Styling =-.

• Reply Shanon July 16, 2009 at 12:16 pm

The first thing I thought before even scrolling past that first gorgeous mosaic was “Leslie, I love you!” Hehe

Holly, you’ve done good! =) I’m so glad Leslie is going to share with us twice a month here. I’ve never heard someone explain so well why white is their favorite color. And I love what she said about barns. I think it’s funny that she said she’s just trying to figure out her digital camera– cause Leslie, you got it! =)

I can’t wait for this. And I love The Creative Mint too. Yay!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Inspired by… =-.

• Reply Ann Marie July 16, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Leslie is great. I’ve been so inspired by her blog and work. Glad she will be contributing here as well. And the advise from her professor – priceless!
    .-= Ann Marie´s last blog ..My Prize =-.

• Reply Tricia McKellar July 16, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Hi Leslie! Welcome! Your blog is lovely– can’t wait for your Decor8 columns! :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..Set of 12 Postcards, Birds from the Departure Series, Fine Art Photography by Tricia McKellar =-.

• Reply molly July 16, 2009 at 12:20 pm

How lovely – and inspiring! I’m looking forward to Leslie’s posts here, and will be exploring her blog while I wait patiently for the first one….
    .-= molly´s last blog ..Happy 4th of July! =-.

• Reply Monica July 16, 2009 at 12:21 pm

These photos are beautiful! I wish I had a place with good enough light for indoor photography!! Can’t wait for the new posts.

• Reply m July 16, 2009 at 12:33 pm

What a great eye Leslie has, and so many cute ideas! Love it. Can’t wait.

• Reply maria July 16, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Welcome Leslie!!

Wow, Leslie is incredibly talented with both taking photos and setting up gorgeous eye candy to feast on!

Excellent interview! I look forward to her posts!
    .-= maria´s last blog ..What I Wore Today: 07.16.09- The Great Outdoors =-.

• Reply Nuit July 16, 2009 at 12:40 pm

wow this is amazing! I am really looking forward to reading and viewing her posts! thanks Holly…
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Its Personal! =-.

• Reply Laura July 16, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Yay! So happy to see a BYW classmate on decor8 :) Leslie’s styling completely blows me away. Completely. Drool, drool, drool.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..The Sweet Life Files: Illustrator Gaia Cornwall =-.

• Reply Amber July 16, 2009 at 1:17 pm

How gorgeous! I am really looking forward to her posts!
    .-= Amber´s last blog ..Taking a break =-.

• Reply amber July 16, 2009 at 1:17 pm

One of my favorite blogs! Gorgeous color- looking forward to the posts!
    .-= amber´s last blog ..the color purple =-.

• Reply Kara July 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Wonderful!!! I am so excited to see her columns- great interview and inspiring photos!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..fat bird, six ways… =-.

• Reply Georgie July 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm

LOVE the flipflop and colored pencil pictures.

• Reply Sophie @ Century Finds July 16, 2009 at 1:29 pm

The styling, the colors … it’s all so beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing more!
    .-= Sophie @ Century Finds´s last blog ..My Bar Cart Project =-.

• Reply Concha July 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Welcome Leslie! :)

I’m already a fan of A Creative Mint, so I’m thrilled to know I’ll be able to find Leslie here as well!
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Trabalhando :: Working =-.

• Reply Victoria (Everman) Klein July 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Welcome Leslie – and props to Holly for getting the great idea of bringing her on as a guest writer :D

• Reply Marjorie Cunnngham July 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Great interview. And such lovely photos! Enjoyed reading it very much and am looking forward to Leslie’s contributions.

• Reply Jess July 16, 2009 at 2:07 pm

This is such great news! I have been a loyal fan of Leslie’s since we met in BYW. That professor’s advice will stick with me too. Time doesn’t knock on our front door either and say, “Hi, I’m 30 minutes!” I have to make time for the things that nourish me. I am looking forward to the new column Holly & Leslie!
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Mason is a Genius =-.

• Reply Jessica July 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Holy smokes! So pretty!! I wish I was “still figuring out my digital camera” as well as Leslie is! Those pictures are beautiful. :)

• Reply mary July 16, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Wow — this is fabulous! Look forward to seeing more from her (and, subscribing to her blog!)

• Reply Robin July 16, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Just beautiful! Love all your photography. Looking forward to more posts!
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..1St Dibs Friday Fun – Vintage Fashion =-.

• Reply Nicole July 16, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I think I am in love! These photos are beautiful! I feel like I could just move into the pictures and live happily ever after. I am eagerly awaiting the series–they even start on my first wedding anniversary, what a great gift!

• Reply Anita Dawoodi July 16, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Congrats Leslie & Thank you Holly! Color, color, color is what I am – I could never live in a black and white place. Can´t wait to see all your eyecandy and fabulous designs. I would love to see some pictures of your Studio – could not find any on your flickr site!
    xo Anita, Austria
    .-= Anita Dawoodi´s last blogücke =-.

• Reply Melissa A. July 16, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Holly and Leslie,
    I love all those colors together, and I’m sure you hear this alot, but they are very inspiring and beautiful. I liked the interview and especially the advice in the end. I have been working on designing my life differently than it was a few years ago and hearing that advice solidifies that it does take time. I have learned to embrace a few things that I didn’t think that I wanted and seeing my dreams and goals coming a little bit closer, about 1 more year as a matter of fact.
    .-= Melissa A.´s last blog ..Thursdays Creative Thrift =-.

• Reply Jeanne July 16, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Great interview and the photographs are amazing, fabulous…inspiring!!
    .-= Jeanne´s last blog ..What Do Your Mornings Look Like? =-.

• Reply Marie Cole July 16, 2009 at 3:53 pm

What a great idea, I am looking forward to your posts! :)
    .-= Marie Cole´s last blog ..An Award For Me? =-.

• Reply julieann July 16, 2009 at 4:08 pm

YIPPPEEEE! I think Leslie knows how I feel about her and her work!! I adore them both! I am so excited to know she will now be here for the rest of the world to love. Holly and Leslie, have just made Mondays so much brighter!
    .-= julieann´s last blog ..Scouting White Tray Tables =-.

• Reply Kate July 16, 2009 at 4:40 pm

your blog is fantastique! xx – kate

• Reply Minnie July 16, 2009 at 5:34 pm

So delicious! I’m salivating at the thought of so much inspiring eye candy coming our way on a regular basis. Beautiful photography and awesome interview, too. This is one post I’ll come back to again and again…and off to check out what I”m sure is one great blog. Congratulations, Leslie!
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Author chat: Writer illuminates relationships amid rich cultural backdrops =-.

• Reply Jill July 16, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Can’t wait to see more. Very inspiring!

• Reply Nicola July 16, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Amazing, beautiful, gorgeous…i am so envious of your styling skills and eye fro colour – these pics are delicious, soothing, uplifting, enriching…what an amazing partnership you’ll make
    .-= Nicola´s last blog ..Love in A Jar =-.

• Reply Amy July 16, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Can’t wait to see more of her lovely photos – and definitely adding her blog to my reading list!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Maybe I’m stupid? =-.

• Reply Christina July 16, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I loved this interview as it struck a cord with me. I look forward to being inspired by her.
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Concrete floors???? =-.

• Reply melissa deakin July 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I am a huge fan of Leslie’s!
    These images are incredible.
    I am so thrilled that she will be a part of Decor 8.
    You are so talented and inspirational, Leslie!
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Thursday’s thought… =-.

• Reply Diane July 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Very exciting. I can’t wait to see Leslie’s amazing attention to detail and creative ways of putting colorful and inspiring pieces together…I will definately stay tuned! Thank you

• Reply Caitlin July 16, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Oh my goodness, these photos are all so wonderful! I love love love the grid of all the photographs at the beginning- they are all so fresh and beautiful- especially the balloon, umbrella, and lemon shots! Congrats to both of you on this exciting new venture! I am already an avid reader of both of your lovely blogs, so this is just a great added bonus!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Day at the Antique Market =-.

• Reply Julie Cove July 17, 2009 at 1:52 am

Congrats Leslie! I am so excited for you that “the creative mint” is stimulating your creative juices and inspiring us all while quickly growing into a popular place for expression and exploration. Thank you Holly for sharing and now featuring Leslie’s exquisite work on a regular basis-I look forward to seeing what else she comes up with. It makes me want to blog more often and more creatively myself!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Oh yeh, a parade! =-.

• Reply tiina July 17, 2009 at 3:49 am

wonderful! i really look forward to this! happy weekend all of you
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..ulrika may ~loveliest cushions =-.

• Reply Minnie July 17, 2009 at 5:28 am

OK, call me dorky but I just had to come back here again since I found myself thinking again and again about today’s color scheme of pink and yellow. Very refreshing! I love pink in almost all its incarnations but have never thought to pair it with yellow.
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Kids’ nooks: Handmade with love, from France =-.

• Reply Simran July 17, 2009 at 10:39 am

Absolutely breathtaking! I love the colours and the patterns, everything about it! It is perfection! I can’t wait to see more of what Leslie has to share!!

• Reply Kerren July 17, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Please could you tell me what digital camera and lenses Leslie is using?

So excited to see Leslie’s work and looking forward to more of this wonderful eye candy.

Happy Friday!

• Reply Gina July 17, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Oh wow!! I am so excited for the new series. Great interview!
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..Have a great weekend! =-.

• Reply fresh365 July 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Leslie’s work is just gorgeous! I cannot wait to see her column 2/mth!

• Reply At Home with Kim Vallee July 17, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Welcome Leslie! Since we have the same taste in magazines, it is a good start. I am looking forward to her column.
    .-= At Home with Kim Vallee´s last blog ..Delicious Ice Cream Sandwiches by Tartelette =-.

• Reply Vicki Moore July 17, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Great interview Leslie and congratulations on your new collaboration with Holly! Your photos are styled so beautifully, love the juicy and fresh combination of color. I’m a big fan of both A Creative Mint and Decor8 blog, looking forward to your next post!!!! Thank you for sharing your inspiring and delightful talents.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente July 17, 2009 at 8:47 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous images….and what a wonderful interview!
    I am definitely looking forward to these posts! Thank you ladies!

• Reply wini July 18, 2009 at 3:17 am

I love Leslie’s photos and the colours and compositions are so gorgeous and inspiring!! I look forward to each of her posts on A Creative Mint. Holly this is a great interview, and Leslie congrats on being a guest writer on decor8!
    .-= wini´s last blog ..Shopping in Malaysia, Pt 3 =-.

• Reply Claire July 18, 2009 at 11:53 am

What great advice Leslie gives! Can’t wait to see more of her work! As always, thank your fabulous blog and for the insightful interview!

Here’s another blog to check out-
    .-= Claire´s last blog ..Small things are cute so that we won’t eat them =-.

• Reply Rousijane July 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Hi Leslie!!! Those are amazing. I love it! I can’t wait to see the upcoming photos!

• Reply mer July 21, 2009 at 12:10 pm

yeah! welcome Leslie!
    .-= mer´s last blog ..[home again, home again] =-.

• Reply Melissa July 21, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Very inspiring! I quoted this post in my blog today and linked it too. I used one of the pictures in the post too, I’ll assume that is okay, unless I hear differently, in which case, I’d happily take it down.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Modern Handmade Child =-.

• Reply Darshana July 21, 2009 at 1:21 pm

very inspiring interview.
    loved the colors n the photography.
    Looking foward for more from you Leslie:)

• Reply cindy July 24, 2009 at 4:12 pm

.-= cindy´s last blog : supermarket in a barn =-.

• Reply Debi July 31, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I’ve been fascinated by the beauty of Leslie’s photos, ever since I discovered her a few weeks back. It will be exciting to see her work here as well. You two are a great match.
    .-= Debi´s last blog ..London in the Summertime =-.

• Reply Carrie August 3, 2009 at 10:27 am

I am really excited to see Leslie’s creations here at Decor 8. Your photos are magical – speaking to the celebrations of our lives. They create a giddiness with their promises. Carrie

• Reply Janneke April 2, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’m was looking for a color palette for my cherry blossom party and I think I just found it :)
    .-= Janneke´s last blog ..Spring Place Cards =-.

• Reply Nina March 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

Leslie your colours are so beautiful, with such a sense of peace and femine ambiance. I love it and can’t wait to see more of your inspiring ideas.