Home Tours

Mati Rose McDonough: Favorite Things

August 12, 2009

A few of my favorite things: Mati Rose McDonough

I’m honored to be included here! Here are “A few of my favorite things”. Hello I’m Mati Rose McDonough and I’m visiting while Holly is moving as part of her August guest series “A few of my favorite things”. I’m a painter in San Francisco and have a blog, website of my art and etsy shop.

Mati Rose McDonough: Favorite Things

This photo is in my bedroom where I have one wall painted turquoise (the others are white and the ceiling is sky blue). One of my favorite things is this ceramic mirror my mom made from pieces of broken china she found in Maine where she lives. I love it because It is a daily reminder of my mom and makes me feel nostalgic for the past when people used fine china. I also clearly like accessories—plastic gumball necklaces mixed with handmade and vintage pieces. The silhouette painting is by my local SF pal Annie Galvin.

Mati Rose McDonough: Favorite Things

This photo is an ode to my love of chunky cocktail like rings. They make me feel fancy, even though they were mostly inexpensive baubles.

Mati Rose McDonough: Favorite Things

Moving along, I love this 1960’s turquoise chair that serves as the reading nook in my bedroom. It makes me feel like lounging and reminds me to slow down, sip some tea or a lemon drop and look through some magazines for inspiration. The top pillow is by one of my favorite illustrators Nate Williams.

Mati Rose McDonough: Favorite Things

Next, these tiny bright espresso cups are hung over my kitchen sink and are mostly from the dollar store, but they make me so happy every time I stand here to do the dishes. The calendar is by Nikki McClure. I admire her graphic simplicity using cut paper and grounding sentiments.

Mati Rose McDonough: Favorite Things

Lastly one of my favorite groupings combines my grandmother’s china pitcher filled with colorful chopsticks from Chinatown and tiny plates my friend Stefanie gifted to us for our wedding from local ceramicist Rae Dunn that say: “Have. Pure. Luck.” The Queen Elizabeth painting is by my friend and rising art star Christina Empedocles. The combination of these few beloved things on my shelf makes me feel connected to strong elegant women in the past and present.

In looking through a few of my favorite things I realize that I like playful, affordable, bright and bold mixed with more feminine pieces. My artist husband Lovejoy’s tea room. I appreciate sassy, beautiful, unique and quirky characteristics combined.

Some of my favorite movies and muses are Jean Seberg in Breathless, Margot Tenenbaum in The Royal Tenenbaums and Parker Posy in Party Girl. Not to mention singers Santigold, Lucinda Williams and Cat Power and writers Isabel Allende, David Sedaris and Persepolis author and illustrator Marjane Satrapi. I love painters Squeak Carnwath, Beatriz Milhazes and Margaret Killgallen.

Favorite advice: Be yourself everyone else is taken.

Thanks for spending a little of your time with me today on decor8 — I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing a few of my favorite things!- Mati.

(photos: Mati Rose McDonough)

16 Comments

• Reply stephanie August 12, 2009 at 6:24 am

Mati’s apartment is just as playful, colorful, and delightful as her artwork :)
    Thanks for sharing!

• Reply jane davila August 12, 2009 at 6:49 am

What a lovely peek into your world Mati!
    .-= jane davila´s last blog ..Walking on sunshine! =-.

• Reply Daniela August 12, 2009 at 7:55 am

Hi!
    I absolutely adored your fav things.
    My fav was the ceramic mirror made by your mom. How sweet is that?
    I have 2 cushions on my bed and in one of my chair my mom made for me about 4 years ago, as you said.. it’s hard to get rid of them ‘cos they remind me of her everytime I see them and it feels kind of her presence in my place.
    SF is one the cities I’d love to visit one day and you know why? Because Isabell Allendes’s Retrato en Sepia book. I loved that story and somehow reading your post remind me of it.. also the China Town chopsticks!

You have a wonderful day.
    ;)

• Reply michelle August 12, 2009 at 9:03 am

love your gorgeous collection of rings!

Mx
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..For the love of polka dots (2) =-.

• Reply viv August 12, 2009 at 9:14 am

Awww… I can say my favorite things right now are your favorite things, love the selection, the colors, just awesome!
    .-= viv´s last blog ..Baby Owl in orange =-.

• Reply wini August 12, 2009 at 9:33 am

Hi Mati, I really enjoyed your post. LOVE the mirror, your rings and the Nate Williams pillow! Thank you for sharing your favourite things…! :) Wini
    .-= wini´s last blog ..Giveaway: Curvy 6 Magazine =-.

• Reply Kim August 12, 2009 at 10:19 am

I have to say that I love everything you’ve featured here! Its so cheerful! The china pitcher and “Have. Pure. Luck.” plates are my favorite!
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..What I Would Wear…If I Was An Olsen Twin =-.

• Reply Kim August 12, 2009 at 10:20 am

Oh, and San Francisco is the best! =D
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..What I Would Wear…If I Was An Olsen Twin =-.

• Reply Jennifer August 12, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Oh so many wonderful photos! I love your reading nook and all of your rings! Fabulous!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..If you thought Kate Spade was only for accessories……… =-.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I love this, Mati, and I’m so delighted to be introduced to your blog. I love your rings, your pillow (I just ordered that Nate poster!) and above all, the chopsticks. Brilliant! Love them all. Thanks.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..oh, yay! =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 12, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Well, I am a huge fan of Mati’s and have several of her gorgeous and happy prints lining my walls! Thank you for sharing your wonderful favorite things with us Mati….and I am deeply in love with that pillow. How fantastic!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..For my readers: Bailey doesn’t bark =-.

• Reply Britt August 13, 2009 at 9:23 am

i heart mati!
    .-= Britt´s last blog ..everything is okay print =-.

• Reply Laura Fair August 13, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Love that you have popped up here Mati…thanks for sharing a little of your style with us!
    .-= Laura Fair´s last blog ..Girasoli =-.

• Reply Andi August 13, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I loved having a little peek into your life Mati! Your bedroom is faaabulous. :)

• Reply Penny Patten August 16, 2009 at 10:01 am

Oh! That ring collection, I adore. Also love the mirror and your reading nook! Thank You for sharing.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Name My Birds,(Chickens that is…) Contest =-.

• Reply linden March 16, 2010 at 6:29 am

Niki McClue is a favorite of ours at our house! Love all your favorites…so pretty, so inspiring….
    wellness….
    .-= linden´s last blog ..a seed…. =-.