Color Inspiration

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

August 17, 2009

Hello friends, it’s Leslie again with Color Me Pretty and this time I am focusing on pinks, melons, black, white and a touch of gold because its summery and the black adds a little drama don’t you think? I also wanted to incorporate some Moroccan patterns, I know they are everywhere but I cannot seem to get enough of them! It was fun to use this palette and combine it with a touch of Morocco. I do hope you enjoy this little exploration.

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Pinks, Melons, Black, White and Gold

Ideas on using these colors at home:

Used sparingly pinks and melons can add a delicious hint of femininity to your home, like a small bouquet of roses in the corner of a room or a white bowl of peaches waiting to be eaten. I use a weathered Moroccan tiled table on the patio that is the softest shade of peachy melon, it’s warm muted glow of color is really pretty. However, if you are brave and love pinks go for it! Layered patterns of bright pinks and juicy melon tones are fabulous for personalities that can pull it off, especially when mixed with a touch of black and gold. Of course a little white also helps all these colors pop! As well, if you are drawn to a certain culture’s design motifs by all means try to find ways to incorporate them into you home. This could be done by simply framing pieces of patterned fabric or paper, or by creating a little mood board to hang with patterned bits from a far away land, little hints like this can go a long way in creating a unique and inspiring space for you. -Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

70 Comments

• Reply Marianna Mills August 17, 2009 at 6:50 pm

It’s so beautiful Holly! Like a dream!
    I love working with pink organza in different shades!
    I will send you on Twitter the link one of my favorite piece.
    xo
    Marianna

PS.I love those roses, you have bought a couple of days ago! Gorgeous!
    .-= Marianna Mills´s last blog ..Step by Step Recipe – Cherry Pie =-.

• Reply decor8 August 17, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Yes Marianna – Leslie did a beautiful job taking these photos and writing this post — I’m so pleased that you’ve enjoyed it today. Leslie is back every two weeks with more color inspiration so stay tuned!

• Reply katherine quinn August 17, 2009 at 6:53 pm

These beautiful colours remind me that spring is just around the corner…
    .-= katherine quinn´s last blog ..he laughs at my dreams… =-.

• Reply Lana Kole August 17, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Pink is love! I’m currently freshening up my home and studio decor and my color palette is sooo yummy! I chose shades of dark and light pink, light blue and vibrant turquoise, with a bit of chocolate brown and gold. Really pretty!

• Reply Jennifer August 17, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Love all the pink! Gorgeous photos!

xoxo
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Big Daddy Pants! =-.

• Reply Heather- Gathering Spriggs August 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Leslie, You keep outdoing yourself. This is my favorite color collage so far. I have a special place in my heart for soft pinks and melons and a touch of morocco, divine!
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Creamy Dreamy Retreats =-.

• Reply La Alicia August 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm

gorgeous, nice job!
    .-= La Alicia´s last blog ..The Free Art Project on Indie Fixx =-.

• Reply Marianna Mills August 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I just read it again on Twitter what have you wrote Holly, about Leslie wrote this post. That’s why I come back here and to say sorry to Leslie and you Holly :)
    It’s a bit late and I am half a sleep :)
    Looking forward to next time to read and see Leslie color inspiration.
    xo
    Marianna
    .-= Marianna Mills´s last blog ..Step by Step Recipe – Cherry Pie =-.

• Reply Shanon August 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Holly and Leslie, I’ll repeat what I wrote on Holly’s Flickr:
    “How Leslie is not already a stylist/photographer for Martha Stewart Living or something similar, I do not know. =)”

Leslie, you have such an ease for taking these shots, they are wonderful merchandising/product shots, which are simply just hard to do for most of us. You are compiling a portfolio to die for. Seriously love it.

Holly, I look forward to this every week. Thanks for spotlighting Leslie’s awesome talent!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Call me Vain =-.

• Reply Viv August 17, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Beautiful pictures, such a romantic feeling, I love coming here for inspiration, Thank you so much for the post!
    .-= Viv´s last blog ..vivikas hair clip =-.

• Reply Novi August 17, 2009 at 7:12 pm

The pairing of pink with Moroccan details is unique and very inspiring Leslie! Your photographs are so beautiful. Thanks for suggesting on how to add cultural patterns into our homes, love your ideas. Thank you for posting!
    .-= Novi´s last blog ..Richmond Olympic Oval =-.

• Reply shawn angela August 17, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I Love the subtly different shades of pink……All of these are stunning arrangements.I’m a huge fan of anything moroccan and this was an ingenious take on a moroccan theme which (to my knowledge) rarely uses pinks in these shades.
    Lovely!
    .-= shawn angela´s last blog ..The Collector’s Eye =-.

• Reply Petergaye Kisielewicz/yahgie August 17, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I love the color palette you selected very good. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Petergaye Kisielewicz/yahgie´s last blog ..Shopping for your home on a budget =-.

• Reply Caitlin August 17, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Oh wow, these photos are incredible! The colours are so surprising and stunning together. Love all of this, especially the black and white cameos on the pink!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Testing out my Holga =-.

• Reply cassandra @ cocokelley August 17, 2009 at 7:29 pm

incredibly gorgeous! i am loving the drama of black or dark navy with pinks and corals right now, and this captured it so perfectly – the patterns are stunning! the addition of a moroccan influence just made it all the more perfect!
    .-= cassandra @ cocokelley´s last blog ..On Vacation With… Urban Sardines! =-.

• Reply megan August 17, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I really love the combination of the pink and orange/peach tones together. I would love to incorporate those colours into my home somewhere. Thanks for the inspiration.
    .-= megan´s last blog ..De De Ce Showrooms =-.

• Reply isla August 17, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Oh my gosh, this is just absolutely beautiful!
    .-= isla´s last blog ..Beach Bath =-.

• Reply Liss (daydreamlily) August 17, 2009 at 7:38 pm

so so beautiful! I love pink. Cant wait for spring to arrive!
    .-= Liss (daydreamlily)´s last blog ..It’s a beautiful day =-.

• Reply Jenn August 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Gorgeous! Where do you find all these beautiful things to photograph?
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Button Ts =-.

• Reply belledame August 17, 2009 at 7:44 pm

fantastic post. i can’t commit to such a light color scheme, but i do love pink, orange and Moroccan. a lot. these are fantastic inspiration for a changeover.

• Reply rachel denbow August 17, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Lovely colors and great suggestions for using them at home!
    .-= rachel denbow´s last blog ..More Granny Chic That I’m Loving =-.

• Reply Emma August 17, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Holly this is AWESOME! I love the patterns the most-est! Inspiration to say the least…swooooon
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..{ Rainy Day Sunday } =-.

• Reply pam August 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm

why do people who write in journals have the best handwriting? And I have the little glasses. I first saw them at TJ Maxx – a set of 6 for $24. Then I saw them at anthropologie for $8 per glass. Straight back to TJMaxx I went. They are fun little glasses.
    .-= pam´s last blog ..amy butler statements in blue =-.

• Reply robin August 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm

gorgeous!
    .-= robin´s last blog ..Wiiiiiiiiiii! =-.

• Reply Cicada Studio August 17, 2009 at 8:16 pm

… as always… stunning.
    .-= Cicada Studio´s last blog ..New Item In Shop | Forsythia Yardage =-.

• Reply Lindsey @ a GreatFull day August 17, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Oh, I love pink. These photos are just gorgeous! Great job Leslie!

{ Lindsey }
    .-= Lindsey @ a GreatFull day´s last blog ..How’s the Weather =-.

• Reply The Office Stylist August 17, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Lovely!
    .-= The Office Stylist´s last blog ..File Folder Holder-Keep it together! =-.

• Reply apparentlyjessy August 17, 2009 at 8:45 pm

So much beauty and inspiration in these photos!

• Reply Cindy August 17, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Beautiful! I love the bowl of peaches with the black & white cloth.
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Sole Mates – Hot Date =-.

• Reply Jaimee August 17, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Just lovely!
    .-= Jaimee´s last blog ..Mosaic Monday =-.

• Reply Vanille August 17, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Gorgeous pictures and so inspiring !
    .-= Vanille´s last blog ..Dans le Jardin =-.

• Reply Brooke H August 17, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Such a beautiful palette! In my apartment I have a few touches of pink and gold, but I’m thinking I should max it out, its so fresh, feminine and bright. Thank you for sharing, also the photography is so lovely!
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..iPhone app =-.

• Reply cara August 17, 2009 at 10:51 pm

goodness this is gorgeous. seriously. thanks for sharing these pretties!!
    .-= cara´s last blog ..Fashion photos =-.

• Reply Diane August 17, 2009 at 11:10 pm

This post is so beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing Leslie!

• Reply Jessica August 17, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Oh how I love those postage stamps.
    Oh how they stir my wanderlust.
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Pinkness =-.

• Reply Kiran August 17, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I love the color choices Leslie :) You are right about the subtle use of pinks around the house. Hubby might feel overwhelmed :)
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Happy Independence India! =-.

• Reply amanda August 18, 2009 at 12:30 am

This is such a beautiful post! Makes me want to surround myself with pink and/or melon and only knit/sew with pink and/or melon :) Thanks!
    .-= amanda´s last blog ..progress on my english paper piecing =-.

• Reply Patia August 18, 2009 at 12:42 am

Very very pretty!
    .-= Patia´s last blog ..Gone Fishin’ =-.

• Reply Beach Vintage August 18, 2009 at 12:47 am

Oh you have stolen my heart with this post.
    .-= Beach Vintage´s last blog ..Stone Cottage Inspiration =-.

• Reply vicki (simply hue) August 18, 2009 at 1:04 am

Leslile, you have such an amazing talent! Really beautiful post…..again! I look forward to seeing all the creative ideas you come up with. I never would have thought of combining Moroccan design with pink but it’s really elegant. Great job!
    .-= vicki (simply hue)´s last blog ..Calling All Designers! =-.

• Reply Tamstyles August 18, 2009 at 1:24 am

what a pretty post.

• Reply Julie Cove August 18, 2009 at 1:34 am

Leslie, the Moroccan look here really makes me want to travel – or just have a Moroccan dinner party! A home is much more interesting when an injection of cultural variety is incorporated. I always say that “your home should have many stories to tell based on the many goodies found and collected thru travel”.
    Holly, you’ve found a gem of a guest blogger! Hope she’s here to stay for a long while!
    Julie
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Thymes Essentials =-.

• Reply Kylie @ All Things Lovely August 18, 2009 at 3:06 am

One of my favourite colour combinations! So pretty and feminine, I could look at these pictures all day. Thanks so much. :)
    .-= Kylie @ All Things Lovely´s last blog ..Anna Spiro Portfolio – Absolutely Beautiful Things =-.

• Reply Jessie August 18, 2009 at 3:24 am

beautiful!!!! :)
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..Make it Monday: Patchwork Button Pouch =-.

• Reply Iva August 18, 2009 at 3:49 am

this is seriously the cutest post ever! I how delicate and feminine everything looks, so so pretty :)
    .-= Iva´s last blog ..Lovely Apartments =-.

• Reply Lovely_Sunflower August 18, 2009 at 5:15 am

These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks, Leslie, for sharing this beauty!

• Reply decor8 August 18, 2009 at 10:56 am

I agree with you all – Leslie is such a talent and I’m so thrilled to work with her. Now to convince her to open an Etsy shop and sell her photos as postcards and prints – can you imagine owning some of these and framing them? I sure can!

• Reply cindy August 18, 2009 at 6:29 am

i love the pink and melon combinations in the soft tones. so pretty.
    .-= cindy´s last blog ..pics : film from the country =-.

• Reply melissa deakin August 18, 2009 at 7:08 am

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
    You are just spectacular, Leslie.
    These images are just amazing.
    I love them all.
    Such a beautiful color combination.
    Great things are ahead for you, Leslie.
    You are so talented!
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..It’s Monday morning… =-.

• Reply Sandy August 18, 2009 at 7:45 am

Leslie, I LOVE your photos. They are so pretty, they make me feel all girlie!

• Reply Liz @ It's Great To Be Home August 18, 2009 at 8:17 am

Oh my gosh, I am so in love with these photographs – so beautiful!!
    .-= Liz @ It’s Great To Be Home´s last blog ..Blog Party: Inspiration Tuesday!! =-.

• Reply Laura Gaskill August 18, 2009 at 8:27 am

So inspiring!! I love the very first photo so, so much, Leslie!! And I do have a bit of an obsession with pink, so this post has me drooling all over my keyboard. I love the pink and melon together with your gorgeous, exotic silver pieces (I want that teapot! And that tray!) – oh, and the flowers! Sigh.
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..New DecorMaison Wallpaper {And A Teensy Little Break} =-.

• Reply Kathi @ allthingswhite August 18, 2009 at 10:07 am

Oh, this is so lovely ! I am so inspired that I will use beautiful pink ribbon on all of the packages I ship out today. Thanks you for a beautiful start to the day !!!

• Reply Nuit August 18, 2009 at 10:10 am

What a lovely inspiration board, I must admit this Moroccan patterns and accents PLUS PINK, are a combination I would not have thought of myself, very unique and creative… and WOW… I just love the outcome!.
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Designed by: Mary Barber Fray =-.

• Reply Mrs. M August 18, 2009 at 10:17 am

another fabulous post Leslie!
    I’m not typically a pink person, but WOW! and the Moroccan patterns are just gorgeous!! keep ’em coming :)

• Reply Garnet August 18, 2009 at 11:04 am

Love these color posts! Looking forward to more!
    .-= Garnet´s last blog ..I drew the Ace of Wands this morning as my card of the day. I… =-.

• Reply novelista barista August 18, 2009 at 11:06 am

oooo i loveee those :)
    .-= novelista barista´s last blog ..Re-Interview Today =-.

• Reply Design Healing August 18, 2009 at 11:50 am

Ohhhhh! Love, love, love all of it! I can’t verbalize enough lovely things to say about it.
    .-= Design Healing´s last blog ..My New Designs for Lenox =-.

• Reply Flavia August 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Absolutely stunning! The combination reminds me of my wedding colors, peachy-pink and dark navy – it’s a somewhat unexpected combination that works so well together! Beautiful job, Leslie.
    .-= Flavia´s last blog ..We Got a Puppy! =-.

• Reply fresh365 August 18, 2009 at 3:05 pm

My favorite colors! Love that first shot w/the notebook. Great styling Leslie!

• Reply leslie August 18, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Oh my goodness…
    I am totally moved by all this wonderful support. Thank you so so so much! I am speechless…
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Summer on the Patio =-.

• Reply Penny Patten August 19, 2009 at 8:02 am

Oh this is wonderful! Love the color scheme, hopfully I can find ways to incorporate into a room in my home. Thank You for sharing such lovely photo’s as well as ideas!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..So our Chicken Coop is complete! =-.

• Reply Patricia Shea August 19, 2009 at 10:17 am

Pink is my favourite colour and I am looking at heaven through rose coloured glasses when I look at this breathtaking post…if I had my druthers my house would pink from top to bottom, walls, ceilings and floors included, not in a Peptobismol way but just like these photos…dreamy, creamy, classy, delicious. Thanks so much for the divine inspiration!!
    .-= Patricia Shea´s last blog ..Buttermilk scones from nearly all Maine ingredients =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 19, 2009 at 11:01 am

Gosh…these are just crazy beautiful! I adore the colors but, your styling, creativity and talent are just jaw drop inducing! :) Thank you hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..It’s my bag, baby! =-.

• Reply Miss B. August 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Leslie perfection as usual!
    .-= Miss B.´s last blog ..RAE DUNN =-.

• Reply Simran August 20, 2009 at 10:44 am

Absolutely amazing Leslie. I love the black! All the colours in fact! This one is my favourite yet!

• Reply pam August 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm

these colors and images just make me smile! so so pretty. pam
    .-= pam´s last blog ..dream house =-.

• Reply The Perfect Palette August 22, 2009 at 7:54 am

SUCH pretty palette! The perfect palette if you ask me :)
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..A Rustic Dockside Ceremony: Navy Blue & Chocolate Brown =-.

• Reply Carrie September 2, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Simply gorgeous. I wish I could see the full image all at once on my screen. Perhaps it is just my computer. Carrie

• Reply Leigha July 2, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Ah, sweet Morocco. I am currently coveting all things Morocco.