Color Me Pretty

September 9, 2009

Hello friends, it is Leslie here again with Color Me Pretty and in the spirit of back to school I thought I would explore a combination of blue, red, a dash of pink and a sprinkle of yellow. This time I wanted to bring in a Cath Kidston inspired theme as I have always admired her graphic florals and the overall freshness of her aesthetic. I played in her style creating some watercolors that I made into patterns for you.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Ideas for using this palette in your home: I remember not being able to paint the walls of my rental apartments and so I had to find other ways to add bursts of color to cheer up a rather plain interior. Rather quickly you can add some bright color to your kitchen sills by spray painting some aluminum cans and using them for flowers or utensils. You can also cover cookbooks in bright patterned paper to display on your shelves. I found an old lunch box for a dollar at a nearby second hand shop that I spray painted blue, keeping the red handle covered with masking tape. It is now a cute storage container don’t you think?

I just love adding new life to an old worn out item and with just a little paint this is totally doable! As well, Cath Kidston always recommends using oil cloth to cover an old table or desk top as its easy to keep clean and can be changed quite easily.

A white interior provides the perfect back drop to this bright palette that can be mixed and matched at a small scale with pencil and button displays or at a larger scale with cushions, tablecloths and curtains.

I really hope you enjoy this investigation and I’ll see you again in a few weeks with my next palette! –Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Laura Gaskill September 9, 2009 at 11:14 am

I adore Cath Kidston!! Gorgeous photos & styling as always, Leslie, and I especially appreciate your ideas for easy little diy projects :) Oilcloth…hm…you’ve got my wheels turning!

And thanks again, Holly, for having Leslie here! It’s a treat!!
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..It’s My Bag, Baby! =-.

• Reply Kiran September 9, 2009 at 11:15 am

Fun colors and ideas! I used to face the same problem decorating my rented apartment. Now I can have more fun decorating my own home :D

.-= Kiran´s last blog ..Introducing =-.

• Reply Mrs. M September 9, 2009 at 11:16 am

another fantastic palette Leslie! that shot with the strawberries + the pink gingham = LOVE!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..fallin’ =-.

• Reply Mary Poppins September 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

What beautiful colours, I adore them and my favourites too

• Reply Heidi Alamanda September 9, 2009 at 11:43 am

Refreshing color palette. It makes my eyes happy:)
    .-= Heidi Alamanda´s last blog ..Favorite Artist =-.

• Reply Ericka Napp September 9, 2009 at 11:45 am

Leslie this is absolutely beautiful! You know how sometimes you get so inspired it hurts? (at least I do) Well, as a textile and product designer and now member of my parents pottery company, this is right up my alley! I definitely appreciate what I’ve just seen here and how much talent and work goes into it. Awesome post!

• Reply Heather September 9, 2009 at 11:58 am

These are lovely!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Whoo’s There? =-.

• Reply Jennifer September 9, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Oh so many beautiful colors, I love Cath Kidston! Gah, I’m going into cute shock!!!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Neiman Marcus Insite: Retro Fit =-.

• Reply Six Different Ways September 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Glad to see this palette becuase I just added bold red chairs to my home office (blue). Now I know how to finish it – dash of pink and a sprinkle of yellow! Wonderful post Leslie.
    .-= Six Different Ways´s last blog ..Dylan Gold =-.

• Reply kathrin September 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Leslie, please, please, PLEASE, you need an etsy shop! I would so instantly buy prints of your wonderful photos!

• Reply Anna, United Kingdom September 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for this – I must admit I always get a bit fearful that I could overdo it with Cath K, but this shows how simply by using the colours you can achieve the look without it being ‘too much’.

I just love the spray painted aluminium cans and am definitely going to give that a go myself.
    .-= Anna, United Kingdom´s last blog ..Enjoying today =-.

• Reply Marlene September 9, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I love the pictures on this post!!! I’ve been just staring for a while…
    .-= Marlene´s last blog ..From Doodle to Final Artwork =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie September 9, 2009 at 12:43 pm

What a beautiful post! I especially love the strawberry photo! Wonderful eye candy!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Lovely Clusters – An Online Gallery =-.

• Reply Claire Hurd Design September 9, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Just Gorgeous!

• Reply MichelleV September 9, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I am IN LOVE with the embroidered hot pink bird below the hot pink gerbera daisies….what is that – a pillow? Wondering what it is and where can I find it.

• Reply Sarah September 9, 2009 at 1:37 pm

What a fresh and vibrant palette of colours. Love CK ofcourse, but your take on her style is fabulous!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..RETAIL THERAPY: Boots =-.

• Reply Barbara Jacksier September 9, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Great palette. This one feels escapist (from the winter ahead) and totally fun.
    .-= Barbara Jacksier´s last blog ..WATERSIDE STYLES EXCLUSIVE TAGS =-.

• Reply melissa deakin September 9, 2009 at 2:02 pm

enjoy it?
    my jaw is still on the ground.
    you are beyond amazing, miss leslie.
    i honestly don’t know what to say anymore other than can i move next door to you?
    can you come decorate my house?
    can i be you when i grow up.
    you are truly incredible.
    i know one of these days, i am going to say, ‘i knew her when…’
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Seven… =-.

• Reply Juana September 9, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Those pictures are simply eye candy! love them :)
    .-= Juana´s last blog ..The best place to buy books online! =-.

• Reply Kristin September 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm

This is my favorite color combination! This post is great eye candy.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..salmon =-.

• Reply Erin Stanton September 9, 2009 at 2:24 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE Cath Kitson! So pretty (I just did a post on her stuff!!!

• Reply Kathi @ allthingswhite September 9, 2009 at 2:42 pm

This is just lovely !!! I also enjoy Cath Kidson and certainly agree about the white backgrounds- we can play and change color so easily that way!
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Jar Of Vintage Buttons =-.

• Reply Diane September 9, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Thank you so much Leslie, this post is so cheerful and inspiring! I love the lunch kit idea and the amazing watercolor patterns you have created!

• Reply The Perfect Palette September 9, 2009 at 3:04 pm

wow! what an incredible color palette! The Perfect Palette really :) Would make such a beautiful wedding color palette!
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..Inspired Ink: Yellow Makes Me Happy! =-.

• Reply Jessie September 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

utterly AMAZING! just amazing, i look forward to your colour me pretty feature so much ! thank you,

.-= Jessie´s last blog ..DIY Envelope Book =-.

• Reply fresh365 September 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Gorgeous! You find the most amazing props Leslie!

• Reply DUDYE September 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm

These colors are really pretty, and the patterns kinda made my day!
    .-= DUDYE´s last blog ..5 Bedroom Budget Tips =-.

• Reply Viv September 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm

This is such a beautiful collection. You are so talented Leslie! I’m very inspired.
    .-= Viv´s last blog ..A little reminder =-.

• Reply Elicia September 9, 2009 at 4:44 pm

love this.

• Reply Beach Vintage September 9, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I love that teacup card. Beautiful images.

• Reply Arctida September 9, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Beautiful color palette and very pretty patterns!
    .-= Arctida´s last blog ..Autumnal Equinox – photographic Mandala – Digital Art Abstract Citrine Gemstone Macro Kaleidoscope print =-.

• Reply pretty*pink*rat September 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Love this color palette! So fresh and bright!

Especially loving that strawberry photograph. YUM!
    .-= pretty*pink*rat´s last blog ..Finally, Bedroom Pictures! =-.

• Reply Jenn September 9, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Wow! Takes my breath away… as usual. :)
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Aussie bush wedding =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm

God, Leslie….you are just amazing! I am just speechless…..I cannot get over your incredible styling skills, gorgeous water color/ pattern skills and deft ability to put beautiful color combinations together. So in awe and SO inspired! Thank you and thank you Holly for sharing Leslie with us!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Wow… =-.

• Reply Gabreial September 9, 2009 at 7:21 pm

WOW Leslie, this is so beautiful and speaks to my inner vintage, love it and your water colors are so beautiful.
    .-= Gabreial´s last blog ..Vintage Indie Kids: Get Dressed & Save with Filmmonsters! =-.

• Reply Micki September 9, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Leslie! Your beautiful teacups! xoxo

• Reply Jacqueline September 9, 2009 at 8:04 pm

leslie, these are such gorgeous images! I am so inspired and i adore the color palettes here! Plan to use this colors on my next handmade projects. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..i heart mail. yes i do. =-.

• Reply pink September 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm

What a gorgeous gorgeous post. I enjoyed this so much – your watercolors are simply stunning and I love what you did to the lunchbox. Thanks so much!
    .-= pink´s last blog ..Snapshots from Summer =-.

• Reply laura trevey September 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm

love the bright colors… very happy and cheerful!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Lime-Aide Necklace Giveaway =-.

• Reply simplygrove September 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm

How absolutely pretty!!!!
    .-= simplygrove´s last blog ..First day….. =-.

• Reply Caitlin September 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Oh wow- amazing!! I always eagerly await Leslie’s column, and this post definitely didn’t disappoint :) So cute and fresh!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Fall Fashion Trend: Bib & Statement Necklaces =-.

• Reply leslie September 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!
    MichelleV -the embroidered piece is actually a vintage dress/top I bought at a flea market. I think it is an Otomi Indian embroidered fabric from Mexico as I have some table cloths that are very, very similar. I quickly found this link online: http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/jacarandahome_com/Detail.bok?no=1
    but I know there are lots more…I just have not seen them in that color combination.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Japan Notes =-.

• Reply Julie Cove September 9, 2009 at 11:15 pm

There’s just something about polka dots that is soooo irresistible whether it’s table linens, bed linens, or even clothing! I love how you incorporated them here. They give a happy, cheery feeling to any theme. Wonderful post!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Another Sneak Peak =-.

• Reply Zarnigar September 10, 2009 at 2:59 am

amazing color combination ……. such a superb collection…….. this collection represnts ur skills and talent …….i must say that its truly fantastic

• Reply tiina September 10, 2009 at 3:08 am

I must say – You’re the queen of color, Leslie! Fabulous?
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..{ apple tart } =-.

• Reply tiina September 10, 2009 at 3:09 am

In my post, the little heart after ‘fabulous’ turned into a question mark, so no question about it, just hearts! :)
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..{ apple tart } =-.

• Reply Michaela September 10, 2009 at 6:13 am

I am really impressed about your work! It looks like a lot of work to me. It is a pleasure to look at your colour palettes and impressions. My thoughts on first view have been, “lovely, but not the colours I’m into”. Then on my second view I already thought, “why not to get into them”. Now, I like the colours.

• Reply Deborah September 10, 2009 at 11:32 am

Fabulous colours sometimes good to go for the classic look in relation to bedding with luxury bedding to go with such a fabulous scheme.

• Reply alli michelle September 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

I love this feature! Everything is so gorgeous and inspiring. Especially love the photo of the darling little spoons and tea.
    .-= alli michelle´s last blog ..perfect for fall: cotton muslin bags =-.

• Reply Savi September 10, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I LOVE the spoons in the second photograph. Where can I buy them?

• Reply leslie September 11, 2009 at 9:27 am

Hi Savi,
    The measuring spoons are from Anthropologie. They are available online in their kitchen gadget section of the website.
    Thank you.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Japan Notes =-.

• Reply Vicki Moore September 11, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Oh so beautiful! Great post Leslie, I especially love your watercolor images and the way you mixed patterns and textures… gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Julieann September 11, 2009 at 5:41 pm

You have done it again, a gorgeous post Leslie!! Fantastic ideas on inexpensive decorating as well (esp. for us renters!!)! Looking forward to your next post!
    .-= Julieann´s last blog ..Go ahead, write on the walls!! =-.

• Reply pam September 12, 2009 at 9:53 am

this put a smile on my office – especially since it is raining here. great colors and ideas!

• Reply Penny Patten September 13, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Very pretty, thanks for sharing and the great ideas!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..The Donkey Arrived Yesterday =-.

• Reply ellie September 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I love all the roses that you put into your pictures and the paintings are just gorgeous! Thank you for your post it’s my favorite. Love from Canada!

• Reply Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor September 18, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I just love this color feature! The photography is gorgeous and the palette is divine! I feel completely inspired right now! Thank you!
    .-= Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor´s last blog ..Keepsake Jewelry and Prayer Chaplet Made with Rose Petal Beads =-.

• Reply leaca February 27, 2010 at 1:58 am

Gorgeous work…you are quite the artist Leslie.
    .-= leaca´s last blog ..inspirational thread =-.