Color Me Pretty

Hello friends, it is Leslie here again with Color Me Pretty and in the spirit of back to school I thought I would explore a combination of blue, red, a dash of pink and a sprinkle of yellow. This time I wanted to bring in a Cath Kidston inspired theme as I have always admired her graphic florals and the overall freshness of her aesthetic. I played in her style creating some watercolors that I made into patterns for you.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Ideas for using this palette in your home: I remember not being able to paint the walls of my rental apartments and so I had to find other ways to add bursts of color to cheer up a rather plain interior. Rather quickly you can add some bright color to your kitchen sills by spray painting some aluminum cans and using them for flowers or utensils. You can also cover cookbooks in bright patterned paper to display on your shelves. I found an old lunch box for a dollar at a nearby second hand shop that I spray painted blue, keeping the red handle covered with masking tape. It is now a cute storage container don’t you think?

I just love adding new life to an old worn out item and with just a little paint this is totally doable! As well, Cath Kidston always recommends using oil cloth to cover an old table or desk top as its easy to keep clean and can be changed quite easily.

A white interior provides the perfect back drop to this bright palette that can be mixed and matched at a small scale with pencil and button displays or at a larger scale with cushions, tablecloths and curtains.

I really hope you enjoy this investigation and I’ll see you again in a few weeks with my next palette! -Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on September 09, 2009

1. Laura Gaskill commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:14am

I adore Cath Kidston!! Gorgeous photos & styling as always, Leslie, and I especially appreciate your ideas for easy little diy projects :) Oilcloth…hm…you’ve got my wheels turning!

And thanks again, Holly, for having Leslie here! It’s a treat!!
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..It’s My Bag, Baby! =-.

2. Kiran commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:15am

Fun colors and ideas! I used to face the same problem decorating my rented apartment. Now I can have more fun decorating my own home :D

.-= Kiran´s last blog ..Introducing =-.

3. Mrs. M commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:16am

another fantastic palette Leslie! that shot with the strawberries + the pink gingham = LOVE!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..fallin’ =-.

4. Mary Poppins commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:34am

What beautiful colours, I adore them and my favourites too

5. Heidi Alamanda commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:43am

Refreshing color palette. It makes my eyes happy:)
    .-= Heidi Alamanda´s last blog ..Favorite Artist =-.

6. Ericka Napp commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:45am

Leslie this is absolutely beautiful! You know how sometimes you get so inspired it hurts? (at least I do) Well, as a textile and product designer and now member of my parents pottery company, this is right up my alley! I definitely appreciate what I’ve just seen here and how much talent and work goes into it. Awesome post!

7. Heather commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:58am

These are lovely!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Whoo’s There? =-.

8. Jennifer commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:00pm

Oh so many beautiful colors, I love Cath Kidston! Gah, I’m going into cute shock!!!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Neiman Marcus Insite: Retro Fit =-.

9. Six Different Ways commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:10pm

Glad to see this palette becuase I just added bold red chairs to my home office (blue). Now I know how to finish it – dash of pink and a sprinkle of yellow! Wonderful post Leslie.
    .-= Six Different Ways´s last blog ..Dylan Gold =-.

10. kathrin commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:15pm

Leslie, please, please, PLEASE, you need an etsy shop! I would so instantly buy prints of your wonderful photos!

11. Anna, United Kingdom commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:16pm

Thanks for this – I must admit I always get a bit fearful that I could overdo it with Cath K, but this shows how simply by using the colours you can achieve the look without it being ‘too much’.

I just love the spray painted aluminium cans and am definitely going to give that a go myself.
    .-= Anna, United Kingdom´s last blog ..Enjoying today =-.

12. Marlene commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:20pm

I love the pictures on this post!!! I’ve been just staring for a while…
    .-= Marlene´s last blog ..From Doodle to Final Artwork =-.

13. City Chic - Jamie commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:43pm

What a beautiful post! I especially love the strawberry photo! Wonderful eye candy!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Lovely Clusters – An Online Gallery =-.

14. Claire Hurd Design commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Just Gorgeous!

15. MichelleV commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 1:13pm

I am IN LOVE with the embroidered hot pink bird below the hot pink gerbera daisies….what is that – a pillow? Wondering what it is and where can I find it.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

16. Sarah commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 1:37pm

What a fresh and vibrant palette of colours. Love CK ofcourse, but your take on her style is fabulous!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..RETAIL THERAPY: Boots =-.

17. Barbara Jacksier commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 1:51pm

Great palette. This one feels escapist (from the winter ahead) and totally fun.
    .-= Barbara Jacksier´s last blog ..WATERSIDE STYLES EXCLUSIVE TAGS =-.

18. melissa deakin commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 2:02pm

enjoy it?
    huh?
    my jaw is still on the ground.
    you are beyond amazing, miss leslie.
    i honestly don’t know what to say anymore other than can i move next door to you?
    can you come decorate my house?
    can i be you when i grow up.
    you are truly incredible.
    i know one of these days, i am going to say, ‘i knew her when…’
    xoxo
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Seven… =-.

19. Juana commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 2:19pm

Those pictures are simply eye candy! love them :)
    .-= Juana´s last blog ..The best place to buy books online! =-.

20. Kristin commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 2:22pm

This is my favorite color combination! This post is great eye candy.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..salmon =-.

21. Erin Stanton commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 2:24pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE Cath Kitson! So pretty (I just did a post on her stuff!!!

22. Kathi @ allthingswhite commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 2:42pm

This is just lovely !!! I also enjoy Cath Kidson and certainly agree about the white backgrounds- we can play and change color so easily that way!
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Jar Of Vintage Buttons =-.

23. Diane commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 2:47pm

Thank you so much Leslie, this post is so cheerful and inspiring! I love the lunch kit idea and the amazing watercolor patterns you have created!

24. The Perfect Palette commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 3:04pm

wow! what an incredible color palette! The Perfect Palette really :) Would make such a beautiful wedding color palette!
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..Inspired Ink: Yellow Makes Me Happy! =-.

25. Jessie commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 3:28pm

utterly AMAZING! just amazing, i look forward to your colour me pretty feature so much ! thank you,

.-= Jessie´s last blog ..DIY Envelope Book =-.

26. fresh365 commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 3:32pm

Gorgeous! You find the most amazing props Leslie!

27. DUDYE commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 3:45pm

These colors are really pretty, and the patterns kinda made my day!
    .-= DUDYE´s last blog ..5 Bedroom Budget Tips =-.

28. Viv commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 3:53pm

This is such a beautiful collection. You are so talented Leslie! I’m very inspired.
    .-= Viv´s last blog ..A little reminder =-.

29. Elicia commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 4:44pm

love this.

30. Beach Vintage commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 5:26pm

I love that teacup card. Beautiful images.

31. Arctida commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 5:46pm

Beautiful color palette and very pretty patterns!
    .-= Arctida´s last blog ..Autumnal Equinox – photographic Mandala – Digital Art Abstract Citrine Gemstone Macro Kaleidoscope print =-.

32. pretty*pink*rat commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 6:14pm

Love this color palette! So fresh and bright!

Especially loving that strawberry photograph. YUM!
    .-= pretty*pink*rat´s last blog ..Finally, Bedroom Pictures! =-.

33. Jenn commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 6:42pm

Wow! Takes my breath away… as usual. :)
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Aussie bush wedding =-.

34. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 7:07pm

God, Leslie….you are just amazing! I am just speechless…..I cannot get over your incredible styling skills, gorgeous water color/ pattern skills and deft ability to put beautiful color combinations together. So in awe and SO inspired! Thank you and thank you Holly for sharing Leslie with us!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Wow… =-.

35. Gabreial commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 7:21pm

WOW Leslie, this is so beautiful and speaks to my inner vintage, love it and your water colors are so beautiful.
    .-= Gabreial´s last blog ..Vintage Indie Kids: Get Dressed & Save with Filmmonsters! =-.

36. Micki commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 7:36pm

Leslie! Your beautiful teacups! xoxo

37. Jacqueline commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 8:04pm

leslie, these are such gorgeous images! I am so inspired and i adore the color palettes here! Plan to use this colors on my next handmade projects. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..i heart mail. yes i do. =-.

38. pink commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 8:32pm

What a gorgeous gorgeous post. I enjoyed this so much – your watercolors are simply stunning and I love what you did to the lunchbox. Thanks so much!
    .-= pink´s last blog ..Snapshots from Summer =-.

39. laura trevey commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 8:46pm

love the bright colors… very happy and cheerful!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Lime-Aide Necklace Giveaway =-.

40. simplygrove commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 10:01pm

How absolutely pretty!!!!
    .-= simplygrove´s last blog ..First day….. =-.

41. Caitlin commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 10:11pm

Oh wow- amazing!! I always eagerly await Leslie’s column, and this post definitely didn’t disappoint :) So cute and fresh!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Fall Fashion Trend: Bib & Statement Necklaces =-.

42. leslie commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 10:11pm

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!
    MichelleV -the embroidered piece is actually a vintage dress/top I bought at a flea market. I think it is an Otomi Indian embroidered fabric from Mexico as I have some table cloths that are very, very similar. I quickly found this link online: http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/jacarandahome_com/Detail.bok?no=1
    but I know there are lots more…I just have not seen them in that color combination.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Japan Notes =-.

43. Julie Cove commented
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:15pm

There’s just something about polka dots that is soooo irresistible whether it’s table linens, bed linens, or even clothing! I love how you incorporated them here. They give a happy, cheery feeling to any theme. Wonderful post!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Another Sneak Peak =-.

44. Zarnigar commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 2:59am

amazing color combination ……. such a superb collection…….. this collection represnts ur skills and talent …….i must say that its truly fantastic

45. tiina commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 3:08am

I must say – You’re the queen of color, Leslie! Fabulous?
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..{ apple tart } =-.

46. tiina commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 3:09am

In my post, the little heart after ‘fabulous’ turned into a question mark, so no question about it, just hearts! :)
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..{ apple tart } =-.

47. Michaela commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 6:13am

I am really impressed about your work! It looks like a lot of work to me. It is a pleasure to look at your colour palettes and impressions. My thoughts on first view have been, “lovely, but not the colours I’m into”. Then on my second view I already thought, “why not to get into them”. Now, I like the colours.

48. Deborah commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 11:32am

Hi

Fabulous colours sometimes good to go for the classic look in relation to bedding with luxury bedding to go with such a fabulous scheme.

49. alli michelle commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 11:48am

I love this feature! Everything is so gorgeous and inspiring. Especially love the photo of the darling little spoons and tea.
    .-= alli michelle´s last blog ..perfect for fall: cotton muslin bags =-.

50. Savi commented
    September 10th, 2009 at 11:27pm

Leslie,

I LOVE the spoons in the second photograph. Where can I buy them?

Thanks.

51. leslie commented
    September 11th, 2009 at 9:27am

Hi Savi,
    The measuring spoons are from Anthropologie. They are available online in their kitchen gadget section of the website.
    Thank you.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Japan Notes =-.

52. Vicki Moore commented
    September 11th, 2009 at 2:33pm

Oh so beautiful! Great post Leslie, I especially love your watercolor images and the way you mixed patterns and textures… gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

53. Julieann commented
    September 11th, 2009 at 5:41pm

You have done it again, a gorgeous post Leslie!! Fantastic ideas on inexpensive decorating as well (esp. for us renters!!)! Looking forward to your next post!
    .-= Julieann´s last blog ..Go ahead, write on the walls!! =-.

54. pam commented
    September 12th, 2009 at 9:53am

this put a smile on my office – especially since it is raining here. great colors and ideas!

55. Penny Patten commented
    September 13th, 2009 at 7:13pm

Very pretty, thanks for sharing and the great ideas!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..The Donkey Arrived Yesterday =-.

56. ellie commented
    September 17th, 2009 at 10:43pm

I love all the roses that you put into your pictures and the paintings are just gorgeous! Thank you for your post it’s my favorite. Love from Canada!

57. Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor commented
    September 18th, 2009 at 1:35pm

I just love this color feature! The photography is gorgeous and the palette is divine! I feel completely inspired right now! Thank you!
    .-= Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor´s last blog ..Keepsake Jewelry and Prayer Chaplet Made with Rose Petal Beads =-.

58. leaca commented
    February 27th, 2010 at 1:58am

Gorgeous work…you are quite the artist Leslie.
    .-= leaca´s last blog ..inspirational thread =-.