Gecko Stickers

Based in Rio, Gecko Stickers are decorative decals created by several different designers commissioned by Gecko so the selection spans many different sizes, styles and colorways that are both affordable and accessible – they ship worldwide. I don’t use a lot of wall stickers in my home, I have a simple bird on a light switch in my hallway and that’s about it for me. But I would consider adding them to my windows as a quick seasonal decoration or if I had kids, I’d allow my little ones have them around their bedroom. They are also really sweet on organizing canisters and glassware.

Gecko Stickers

Gecko Stickers

There are so many wall sticker designers out there and it makes me wonder, do you buy them? Where do you stick ‘em? On the walls, tiles, appliances, windows, furniture, or? I’d like to try some inside the glass doors of my china cabinet, perhaps full lace sheets that are very subtle so that I can stuff more in the cabinet without anyone seeing inside. :) I know, a lazy solution, I am still procrastinating when it comes to organizing my cabinet. With family coming over tomorrow and a festival to attend on Sunday, I may have the procrastination gods on my side allowing me to get to it next week, instead. :)

But yes, back to the stickers. Do you use them and if so, where?

(images: gecko stickers)

Posted by decor8 in walls on October 09, 2009

1. laura trevey commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 7:19am

the tree is so sweet! love it!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Caribbean Time, Large Size 14 by 20, Watercolor Print =-.

2. Polly commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 7:29am

I do like wall stickers, to a certain level. I don’t think there should be more than one set in a house!
    I used to have some flower ones on my wall which looked nice, but I took them off when I repainted my bedroom. I also fell in love with some bird wall stickers recently, but they were so expensive that I resisted!
    I love the tree wall sticker in your post!
    xx
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..Breakfast Week day 3 =-.

3. Fog and Thistle commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 7:32am

I’m considering it for my son’s bedroom. My husband worries about hanging pictures over the bed so it seems like a good solution for the blank wall. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
    .-= Fog and Thistle´s last blog ..Home Improvement Cont’d =-.

4. mijk commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 7:41am

I ve got stickers in my childrens room: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15768587@N00/1506813445/in/set-72157600717827138/

Those walls are poored concrete extremely hard to drill so stickers is an easy way to decorate. The trees on my sons room are decoupaged wallpaper. A lot of fun but takes a lot more time!
    .-= mijk´s last blog ..Sweat pears….. =-.

5. Katie - Coco Målé commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 7:56am

I use them – but only if they can be peeled away without causing too much damage as I then get bored of them after a while!!! I haven’t gone overboard, just a cherry blossom one in the hallway and a large teapot in the kitchen, and they look really great (or so i think!!)…

P.S. not sure about the lamp one… looks great and all, but surely one needs a working bedside table lamp???
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..For the love of teapots =-.

6. beth h commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 8:25am

I love wall stickers. I have a few gerber daisies framing my mirror in my bedroom and I have 4 black filigree-type stickers throughout my living room — people always think I stenciled them on :) And when I move, I have plans to use even more!
    .-= beth h´s last blog ..Rainy Tuesday =-.

7. michele commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 9:10am

I love the tree designs in wall decals. But its a trendy thing and I could just as easily paint one on myself, so no, I don’t use them but do admire and gain inspiration from them.
    .-= michele´s last blog ..On the Needles =-.

8. the domestic fringe commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 9:28am

I’ve only used them in my kid’s rooms and I’ve loved them. I’m very tempted to try them elsewhere.
    -FringeGirl
    .-= the domestic fringe´s last blog ..My Life as a Gypsy =-.

9. Holly commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 9:52am

I just have one, which is a large floral pattern in a shimmery champagne pattern. It was a good option for me when I moved into a new place and didn’t have things to fill the walls or the budget/time to change that!

I do think you need to stick to one or two per home though.

10. Passementerie commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 9:59am

I am pondering wall decals myself just now – in fact I have a post written ad saved for next week about some ideas I have! I want to use them in otherwise difficult spaces, such as our narrow landing (too narrow for a picture, which might be brushed against) and hall.
    .-= Passementerie´s last blog ..Oh my… would you like a house in Marrakech? =-.

11. Kalee commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 10:21am

I never would have thought to use the lace sticker on glass cabinets, but I might have to try something like that in my home.

Otherwise I was going to say that I really love the look of these type of things, but don’t think it works in my home. Never say never apparently!
    .-= Kalee´s last blog ..Because He Watches Me =-.

12. Leigh commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 10:58am

I actually have some photo-realistic daffodil stickers (lifesized) that I got on vacation in France. I have them stuck on the wall by my bed in an “arrangement” and then covered the bottoms with a color-paper cut-out that I shaped like a Vase… kinda fun.
    .-= Leigh´s last blog ..Project Runway is going to become a Wii Game =-.

13. juliette commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 11:04am

I have discovered they DO look ok on bumpy German tapete (with either typical German flat paint or with latex), which is good. The only thing is you have really rub them on HARD and you have to have lower expectations for any super intricate edges. Not that those intricate edges come off the wall far, maybe 1mm.

I still only have the two sample birds from Elephannie on Etsy. One is over my office doorframe and another is over the main light switch in my husband’s office. I think once we live here a little more and figure out what to do on some of our walls I think we’ll order something bigger.
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Sewing: A Little Girl’s Bag =-.

14. simplygrove commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 11:18am

I heart the clock!
    .-= simplygrove´s last blog ..3 things to love…. =-.

15. Amie commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 12:08pm

I love wall decals! I just bought a few these small black damask designs to put on the sides of my new small white IKEA Expedit shelf. It looks just great in my foyer!

.-= Amie´s last blog ..Long lost chicken recipe – found =-.

16. Carol commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 2:49pm

I’ve got the Eiffel Tower as a large sticker on the outside of a very utilitarian glass corner shower in my downstairs bathroom. It goes with the French theme of the bathroom, and really draws one’s eye away from the very Home Depot-ish shower. I’ve got a black and white checkered floor in there, so the black of the sticker works well.

17. Gretchen commented
    October 9th, 2009 at 8:16pm

Ooh, I’m tempted to order the yellow/orange zigzag to spice up the boring, white closet doors in my entry. We rent, and while I don’t think the landlord would mind if I painted, I’m not sure if I want to put the time into this place.

I also like Fog and Thistle’s point about decorating above the bed. I once had a family friend (who is a bit psychic) voice concern about a large shelf over my bed in my childhood room- ever since then I’ve been worried that she had some vision of my future!
    .-= Gretchen´s last blog ..Grocery Bag Art =-.

18. Linda commented
    October 10th, 2009 at 5:00pm

I bought my first vinyl decal recently. I purchased the chandelier and it is so cute. It is on my office wall directly over my computer monitor! It softens the look of my office! Fun and whimsical! This will not be my last either!

19. Holly Hudson commented
    October 10th, 2009 at 6:25pm

I have a set of black stickers that are Paris apts/storefronts/street lights, etc.
    They will not come off…because they’re quite detailed/tiny. The entire piece was over 2 meters, so I cut it into 5 different pieces, to place over my kitchen sink (cheaper than a tile backsplash!) and around the walls in our sunroom/adjacent to the kitchen. Our walls are painted lavender, so the black stickers are a great contrast.

Our trip to Paris was sensational, just last month. It was our honeymoon, 31 years later + 5 kids. We are thrilled to see our kids grow-up & we want to return to Paris sooner than later!
    Holly

20. Jessie commented
    October 11th, 2009 at 8:58am

I DO like the stickers, they’re fun and can be placed in unexpected spots. There’s one out there of a little mouse hole with a tiny laundry line next to it, I’d love to put that in a corner somewhere! The best part about the decals is that they’re removable, great for people (like me) who like to rearrange/redecorate their homes often!
    .-= Jessie´s last blog ..Ikea Love….& big news! =-.

21. Genelle commented
    October 12th, 2009 at 3:12pm

Holly: I recently purchased 2 wall decals and I love them! I have a couple of fat birds on the wall of my craftroom, compliments of vinylwalldesign.etsy.com. They are comical and make me smile every time I go in the room! I also purchased a damask decal for the center of a simple, off-white IKEA magnetic board, compliments of “Scribble It”. She has an Etsy store (scribbleit.etsy.com) but I ended up going directly to her website to find exactly what I wanted. I LOVE it! It makes my magnetic board look more like a work of art than a simple blank rectangle on my wall. I might buy a couple more because they’re so much fun (and good quality!)! Maybe a cat (to chase the birds!) and a tree.

Genelle

22. vol.25 commented
    October 13th, 2009 at 12:34pm

I have a set of wall decals that I purchased from oneupdesigns on etsy. I used them to dress up an odda wardrobe from ikea. You can see it here towards the bottom of this post. http://vol25.typepad.com/vol25/2008/10/our-home-some-history.html

Super easy to put on. I would probably purchase more decals but our walls are mortar, and I’m worried they wouldnt stick very well. :)
    .-= vol.25´s last blog ..back from camping! =-.

23. Melissa commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 9:15am

These are beautiful, so simple and yet, it looks so elegant.