Shop Tours

Brook Farm General Store

October 15, 2009

Would you like to take a trip with me to Brooklyn, New York today to visit the newly opened Brook Farm General Store? I was so pleased when one of the owners, Christopher Winterbourne, wrote in recently and I learned about his shop which he owns with partner Philippa Content and you’ll see why soon enough but in addition to what you see here, they have an online shop so don’t miss it.

Brook Farm General Store

I love to feature store tours on decor8. So many inspiring little nooks exist out there, places where ones heart and soul is deposited each day  —  where there is so much care being given to product selection and display — and sometimes these charming destinations are unknown outside of the neighborhood, state or even country in which they sit. My goal in having a blog with a worldwide readership is to spotlight these creative little shops with their talented owners, with hopes that you’ll not only be inspired enough to visit them online, but that if you are traveling or have friends who are, that you’ll suggest these stores or visit them in person. Let’s look around a bit at the Brook Farm General Store today, shall we?

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Welcome to the Brook Farm General Store in South Williamsburg, Brooklyn just under the Williamsburg Bridge. This shop is lovingly curated by Christopher and Philippa who have such an amazing eye for organic beauty, mixing old with new, and finding products that are tactile and appeal to the senses in some way – whether the smooth porcelain of a vase or the fragrance of a bar of handmade soap, there is something to delight all who visit. Before opening this past summer, Philippa managed a small chain of boutiques in the West Village and Christopher was working in television and film production. When I asked them why they opened the shop they told me, “We realized that we were having a hard time finding the simple, classic, well-designed items that we had grown up with. So, we decided to open a modern version of the old general stores of New York. We chose everything in the store very carefully, and we only sell items that we would want to have in our own home.” Again, another story of something amazing being born out of lack — if something is lacking, you step up and fill the void!

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Brook Farm General Store

Vintage rolling pins, tea, soap, brushes, duralex glassware, soft towels, vintage quilts, linen blankets, hamman towels, construction blocks, necklaces and more… like the lovely Lampes Gras architects’ lamps. Christopher and Philippa prove that functional does not need to be boring. Displayed in a mostly white space, the natural brushes and wooden handles really stand out adding warmth to the shop, as does the big black cast ironware on the walls. In addition to their current offerings, they are designing a line of bed and table linens under the label Tourne. They eventually plan on expanding to other housewares as well.

I hope to visit in person someday — but for now, we can all visit them online via their online shop. I see so many things that I would like to own. See anything you like?

Brook Farm General Store, 75 South 6th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211 Tues-Sat 11-8 and Sunday 12-7.

(images: brook farm general store)

62 Comments

• Reply jamie October 15, 2009 at 6:59 am

what a beautiful store! i will definitely have to try to take a trip there this weekend. thanks for sharing!

• Reply Nadine October 15, 2009 at 7:05 am

Seeing lots I like. Unfortunately, it’s too far away from London ;-).

Nadine x

• Reply queta October 15, 2009 at 7:05 am

What a cosy store!

• Reply Claudia (Lisbon) October 15, 2009 at 7:24 am

wow! I was suprised to see decor8 featuring Portugal.
    I live in Portugal and I always feel that people see us as a small not very significant country in a desperate need for evolution. So you can see why I’m even happier to see that portuguese tile picture (we are, in fact, a tile country):) It makes me a bigger fan of decor8.
    I’m happy to help with tips if you do come to Portugal.

p.s. pardon my english, it’s been a while…

• Reply Kathi @ allthingswhite October 15, 2009 at 7:30 am

I can’t wait to visit this wonderful shop !!! I am going to NYC in the next few months and have already put it on the the must-see list. Thanks for all of these lovely images, they will have to do until I get to the brick and mortar.
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Vintage Ironstone Plates =-.

• Reply Angela October 15, 2009 at 7:30 am

The ABC blocks are beautiful, and I really love the ducks… :-)
    Thank you!

• Reply Katie October 15, 2009 at 7:39 am

What an awesome store! I love the vintage type case! I bought one of my own off Ebay awhile back but haven’t cleaned it up to use it yet.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Authenticity =-.

• Reply Bridgett October 15, 2009 at 7:49 am

Thanks for featuring this shop! I’m going to Brooklyn in a few weeks for a workshop and hope to make this a necessary stop.

• Reply lindsay October 15, 2009 at 7:59 am

Oh Holly! This is gorgeous! As much as I try to enjoy the present, I ache for the day we leave the city and buy a little old farmhouse in the country. These wares have me drooling!
    .-= lindsay´s last blog ..Down to Earth. =-.

• Reply Benita October 15, 2009 at 8:14 am

Wow!
    .-= Benita´s last blog ..Phoebe’s Bathroom =-.

• Reply sweet fine day/Jenna October 15, 2009 at 8:15 am

I’ll have to check it out. I wish them much success -what a lovely looking store!
    .-= sweet fine day/Jenna´s last blog ..really? was this always here? =-.

• Reply natalika October 15, 2009 at 8:30 am

Hmm, I don’t know Holly… I’ve reading your blog for a while now, visiting the site really everyday, and I like decor8 very much…

But in the last days I can’t help but feeling that your site is becoming more & more an indirect shopping venue for whatever brands may contact you rather than the “inspirational blog” it is supposed to be.

Pls, don’t get me wrong: I don’t think it’s bad linking to sellers (I prefer to know where I could get a particular product) and praising this or that brand/store, but I miss your personal contribution to all this sometimes. It’s all in the balance, I think.

I’m not an enemy of marketing, but bloggers shouldn’t succumb to the temptation to simply dispread PR-materials. And it seems like the guys from that Brook Farm Store have been really busy bees mailing you all: http://www.remodelista.com/posts/shoppers-diary-brook-farm-general-store-in-brooklyn (posted last week)

• Reply decor8 October 15, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Natalika – Thank you for your feedback. A little history: Christopher contacted me a week or two ago about his lamps, wanted me to show them on my site. I wasn’t interested, they are nice but nothing that I would feel inspired to write a post about solely. So I replied to him and said that I really liked the photograph and wondered if his whole shop had these types of beautiful things. And that if so, I’d like to see some photos and interview him. So that is what happened just so you understand. I spent a lot of time producing this post for my readers because after seeing his shop I felt really happy and like readers would too. It’s exactly the kind of general store that I love – a modern take on the old fashioned stores I once visited growing up. So you see, I’m not posting something based on some press release, I get thousands of submissions each week and pull about 5 that I am interested in featuring. FIVE. Really. And that is only because I absolutely enjoy the product/store/home, etc. So while I appreciate your feedback and comment very much, I wish you had known about my inspiration behind this post rather than assuming I was, “succumbing to the temptation” of PR materials. I actually work hard to get my stories, but thank you though for your feedback, I appreciate it very much. In addition to leaving comments, you can also contact me directly if you’d like to – holly AT decor8blog.com — vs. posting a complaint/issue so publicly if you’d like.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 15, 2009 at 8:31 am

Oh wow…..how incredibly beautiful. Yes, I see so many things I like! I will have to plan a trip in to see it in person….until then, I am off to check out their online shop!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..The little things: earth and night sky….. =-.

• Reply Sam October 15, 2009 at 8:37 am

Oh my! What a gorgeous store; I could look at the photos for hours and easily spend all my money here!
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Midweek Inspirations: Wood =-.

• Reply Jackie October 15, 2009 at 8:38 am

I could live there……. ?
    .-= Jackie´s last blog ..Las hormiguitas =-.

• Reply Sam October 15, 2009 at 8:49 am

Wow – I see a trip to Brooklyn in my future!
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Five Things =-.

• Reply viv October 15, 2009 at 8:58 am

Wow, I just took a look at the online shop, so many beautiful and useful things, i will sure visit the shop this weekend.
    .-= viv´s last blog ..Big Owlie for Halloween =-.

• Reply Yoli October 15, 2009 at 8:58 am

I covet those blocks!
    .-= Yoli´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Victoria Klein October 15, 2009 at 9:23 am

What an adorable space! I’ve bookmarked there site & will definitely stop there the next time I visit NYC.

• Reply Gabreial October 15, 2009 at 9:26 am

Wow, that has got to be one of the most beautiful general stores I’ve ever seen. I love the open and fresh feeling, it isn’t your typical dark and country general store. The wares are beautiful, I love the syrup bottles on the top shelf. I love every bit about it, it is a dreamy store. Thanks for sharing! I needed an excuse to travel to New York!
    .-= Gabreial´s last blog ..Handmade Crush: Bridal Capelets =-.

• Reply decor8 October 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Gabreial – I agree – the general stores that I’ve been to in New Hampshire are usually dark and packed to the gills. This is a refreshing change.

• Reply Ana October 15, 2009 at 9:39 am

So pretty and gorgeous!! It makes want to buy everything!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Recomeçar / Starting over =-.

• Reply Megan Daly October 15, 2009 at 9:40 am

Holy Cow. Are you kidding. I want everything and for my kitchen to look just like that, with all those super cute accessories. A dream for sure. :)

• Reply nichole October 15, 2009 at 9:50 am

Oh my. This looks divine! Warm, welcoming, and I love the edited palette. I have to get there!
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..La Ciderie du Marais =-.

• Reply Kate F. October 15, 2009 at 9:55 am

I’m strongly reminded of London’s Labour & Wait, which is perhaps my favorite store ever. Looks like that was a clear inspiration, and I can’t wait to visit it next time I’m down in NYC.

• Reply Shanon October 15, 2009 at 9:59 am

Those soap! Those necklaces! I wanna touch everything in this place… all that wood and those utensils…. nice!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..{Seasons Change} =-.

• Reply Brandi October 15, 2009 at 10:07 am

I am so going to make sure I stop by this store when I head back to the east coast for Christmas. I’d love to own a place like this someday — something that’s half general store and half bakery. In the meantime, I have a PhD to finish first…and I’m going shopping on Brook Farm General Store’s online shop.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Water and Ice: James Balog =-.

• Reply Lauryn October 15, 2009 at 10:47 am

Oh good gracious don’t let me near that store cause I’d have a field day. The way everything is displayed is so pretty too.

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé October 15, 2009 at 11:00 am

wow, what a cute little shop, everything is displayed so beautifully and neatly!!!
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..Chocolate unwrapped =-.

• Reply Crystal October 15, 2009 at 11:15 am

Wow…..what a fantastic store! I live in Manhattan and have been meaning to cross the bridge and check out the treasures and finds in Williamsburg. This gorgeous store is now on the top of my “places to check out” list. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 15, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I love looking to stores for inspiration. This one makes me want to rip off my cabinet doors and create an open shelving look!
    .-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..Target Uses the ‘F’ Word =-.

• Reply Lecia October 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the tour – wow! So much beauty.
    .-= Lecia´s last blog ..the end of an era =-.

• Reply Mandy B October 15, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I am glad that you feature these unique, inspiring, small businesses and I love to see the photographs of a beautifully laid out store! Please keep it up! It definitely gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks!

• Reply lindsay October 15, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I love all the wired type storage. The 3 tired corner baskets and the ones hung on the wall that is holding things like the wisks are great.

• Reply ivy style33 October 15, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Absolutely a – ma – zing store! Great pictures…
    …and a quick hello from Greece Holly : )
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Wallpaper projects =-.

• Reply Uncle Beefy October 15, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I ADORE the looks of this place, Holly! First heard of them on the blog Apartment132, I think when they first opened. I was smitten! But now seeing even more photos of the store I love it even more. I could take one of everything in this place (current bank account notwithstanding) but am especially fixated on the metal straws on their site! So many treasures. :)

• Reply Malika October 15, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Holly I felt your response to Natalika was a bit harsh. She values your work. She just expressed concern about the direction on your blog. She didn’t attack you nor was rude to you. She simply shared her feelings with you. Your last statement completely turned me off. I felt there was a better way for you to handle it.

• Reply decor8 October 15, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Malika – I’m sorry, I meant to only explain things to make Natalika feel better and to address her concerns openly. It was important for me to let her know that my blog wasn’t turning into a giant press release! :)

• Reply Denise October 15, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Wait, so now every comment has to be a fawn??? I don’t agree with your response that she should complain privately. Because in this case your readers got very useful information about how you get your material.

She gave you a lot of positive comments as well. A blog, by its nature, is a public forum.

• Reply decor8 October 15, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Denise – Yes, I want everyone to fawn over everything!!! LOL. No, of course not!!! But I was just letting her know that if she wants to talk to me privately in the future or anytime, she can email me because I’m open to that! I don’t want anyone to ever think the only want to approach me is through a blog comment. They can write to me privately as well.

• Reply leslie October 15, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Thoughts on this post: these photos are gorgeous, inspiring, shot beautifully, innovative in the merchandising techniques, lovely combination of old and new, linens that are to die for, necklaces that I would like to wear today, unique store front with tile detail and great signage, love the layering of all the textures….on and on…it is so inspiring to find retailers that put this much thought and care into what they do and presenting their products in such a caring way…such efforts -wow. I am always INSPIRED by your choices Holly -VERY INSPIRATIONAL POST!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Dahlias and Vintage Paper =-.

• Reply read me... October 15, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Oh my, I love the look of this place. Do you think they’d like to open a branch on Bermondsey Street in London??? I’d be their most frequent customer…
    .-= read me…´s last blog ..Bestagno =-.

• Reply megmanionsilliker October 15, 2009 at 2:53 pm

holly every single one of your posts inspires me. you have opened my eyes to so many things. you never cease to disappoint. don’t be too discouraged or dismayed, because there is a big army of us who think you and decor8 are/is terrific! you do work hard and it shows every single day! be well.
    .-= megmanionsilliker´s last blog ..a lime slice – [girls night] =-.

• Reply mo October 15, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I dont think the complaint, which was really more of a critique, was that big of a deal. Although it had some emotional language, it seemed like she tried to word it in the best way possible.

• Reply decor8 October 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Mo – I agree, me neither. I just wanted to explain my side of the story. :)

• Reply nicolette October 15, 2009 at 3:08 pm

this place looks awesome, and yes- definitely refreshing. and right in my neighborhood, too! i can’t wait to visit this weekend.
    .-= nicolette´s last blog ..open letter to OC =-.

• Reply Leyla October 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I love all the rustic and vintage inspired pieces… The store is pure delight!
    .-= Leyla´s last blog ..How To Decorate Shelves & Bookcases in 6 Easy Steps =-.

• Reply Cathie October 15, 2009 at 5:35 pm

So glad this is in Brooklyn! Can’t wait to see it in person :D
    .-= Cathie´s last blog ..yoko furusho@destination NY =-.

• Reply Tina October 15, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I want one (or 2) of everything! The store is set up so well~not overwhelming but really appealing to the eye. I think it truly makes the wonderful merchandise more visable and beautiful
    The White Space around each thing looks so great!
    Perfect!
    Tina
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Influenza and Sparkle? =-.

• Reply alice October 15, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Beatiful stuff. Kind of a bummer when a high-end homewares shop is named after a famous utopian community. We dream different dreams these days, it seems.

• Reply bill108108 October 16, 2009 at 1:12 am

Wish there more of these general stores out there, they have a charm that it is hard to find. Where I used to live in western North Carolina, I remember some great examples of these, some of whom have been in existence for over a century. The Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, NC I think opened in the 1880’s.

• Reply mijk October 16, 2009 at 1:20 am

This shop makes me miss Dille and Kamille in Holland my town has’nt got one
    It is the same oldfashioned things in a modern way and then very reasonably priced http://www.dille-kamille.nl/
    .-= mijk´s last blog ..I really restrained myself =-.

• Reply natalika October 16, 2009 at 3:36 am

Sorry Holly, it was not my intention bothering you. I really like your blog and I always appreciate your openness about how you find this or that stories to post about. I just thought you’d like to know how it all catches on (do you say that in English?! hope I make myself understandable) sometimes… Didn’t mean to devalue your work.

• Reply decor8 October 16, 2009 at 4:14 am

Natalika -Oh no problem at all – really – I respect your opinion and thank you for leaving your comment.

• Reply suzie October 16, 2009 at 6:19 am

I really appreciate the communication between Natalika and Holly !
    I remember a post by Holly a while ago where you (Holly) “complained” about simple comments like “love that chair ! ”
    So this was different !
    And interesting to know how much time consuming one post can be !
    Have a good weekend, everybody !
    .-= suzie´s last blog ..Blog Action Day in your shower =-.

• Reply decor8 October 16, 2009 at 7:54 am

Suzie – ha! Oh yes I remember that one. I like comments where there is some “meat” to them, you know? Like we’re all intelligent men and women here, we can do more than just LOVE everyone and everything, we can add to the post with comments that discuss how we feel about the post, the product, etc. I enjoy personal exchanges.

• Reply Marita October 16, 2009 at 9:16 am

The Store made me think of „Dille & Kamille“ in Brussels. The have especially great kitchen stuff. I got so inspired that I bought some olive forks – will probably never use them but I am happy anyway.
    .-= Marita´s last blog ..Bekennerschreiben: Ein Herz für Blogs =-.

• Reply julia October 16, 2009 at 10:21 am

Fantastic post! I adore this shop — it’s like taking a trip to another place in time. Well worth the hike to Brooklyn!

• Reply Lori October 16, 2009 at 5:23 pm

I absolutely love this store. Thank you for sharing! I am new to your blog and I am so enjoying it!

• Reply { kat } October 17, 2009 at 8:24 pm

thanks for this post! going there soon ;)
    .-= { kat }´s last blog ..{ another facebook addition } =-.

• Reply Penny Patten October 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm