London Anthropologie Visit

I mentioned recently that Anthropologie in London will soon open its doors, today in fact, as the first Anthro in Europe. I decided that since so many of you showed interest wondering what it will look like and such, I asked one of my friends if she’d play roving reporter and share her impressions from the store. Susannah Conway, from the lovely blog Ink on my fingers, attended a press event there a few days ago and has pulled together a quick review for all of us who haven’t yet been to the new store. Would you like to see a peek? Susannah tells us about her visit below….

Anthropologie London

Hi everyone, Susannah here. I recently had the pleasure of visiting the new Anthropologie store on London’s Regent Street and, in all honesty, I’m still swooning. The 10,000 square foot store lies over three floors, each filled with so much eye candy you could happily spend a whole afternoon sampling every morsel. I’d been to the Anthropologie store in Seattle back in 2006 so I had an idea of what to expect, but their first European store still managed to surprise and delight.

Anthropologie in London

Anthropologie in London

The store has a full-time team of ‘visual artists’ who look after the windows and in-store merchandising, and judging by what I saw yesterday, those talented souls must truly love their jobs. While each floor has its main focus – textiles, home accessories, apparel – it’s all mixed together so artfully you can easily envision everything in your own home. It was vintage-inspired bohemian chic at its best – a look I adore – so I danced around the store with my camera(s)…

Even if you don’t plan on spending a penny, the store is a must-visit for anyone yearning for some visual stimulation; there were so many colours and textures to take in, with old sofas and dressers displaying floral china and jewel-coloured glassware, patchwork wool cardigans and embroidered peasant dresses, and, of course, the bedcovers, blankets and a huge rail of the most adorable aprons (seriously!).

Anthropologie in London

Anthropologie London

The store mixes British and European designers with their own in-house designs so you’ll find new discoveries among the Anthro staples of scented candles and quirky ceramics. I loved the use of whimsy throughout the store: an octopus rug on the wall, a huge papier mache narwhal hanging from the ceiling and the truly amazing living wall, a 200 square metre wall made entirely from living plants, all watered with rainwater collected from the roof.

Anthropologie in London

Anthropologie London

Anthro comes to London...

I think it’s safe to say that London shoppers will welcome Anthropologie with open arms; I’m already planning my return visit. - Susannah Conway.

Anthropologie, 158 Regent Street, London W1

Thank you Susannah for giving us a peek at the store! Readers, you can see more impressions over on her blog right here. :) Also my other English blog friend Bowie, who also attended this press night (from the Print & Pattern blog) took tons of photos – you can see them on her blog. Now no one has to feel left out because they’re not in London! :)

(images: susannah conway)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours on October 23, 2009

1. Nathan commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 5:58am

Great preview – I’ve been in anthropologie, but never have been to London.

2. Saima commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 6:16am

Brilliant, can’t wait to visit!
    .-= Saima´s last blog ..People in Cardboard Houses =-.

3. Rhiannon commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 6:31am

Love the preview. Ok – I’ve been swayed. I’m been swithering about whether on not to go to London in November to a couple of events. I think I might just have made up my mind to go :)
    .-= Rhiannon´s last blog ..Flickr Favourites – Mist =-.

4. heather smith jones commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 6:35am

I love the idea of the living wall, so great. Thanks for these peeks Susannah!
    .-= heather smith jones´s last blog ..Thoughts & process =-.

5. Victoria Klein commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 6:46am

Looks like an amazing space!

6. Anne-Julie commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 6:51am

My dream store finally opened in Europe, what a bliss.. I definitely need to plan a little trip to London early 2010! Thanks for the articles and photos, Holly!
    .-= Anne-Julie´s last blog ..A new collaboration with Polarity ! =-.

7. Nadine commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 7:01am

Wow. Amazing store. Since I’m living in London, I’ll definitely go and have a look. I work in publishing so I was very excited to see one of our books on picture 6.
    .-= Nadine´s last blog ..Watercolours =-.

8. steven commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 7:06am

see holly, i told you it was good….. x
    .-= steven´s last blog ..shut your gob =-.

9. pilgrim commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 7:08am

oh my! what a GREAT scoop!! i’m dreaming of a london visit at the moment and this is just another thing in the huge list of ‘PROS’… you’re not helping my bank balance, holly! haha
    .-= pilgrim´s last blog ..black and white week: graphic fashion =-.

10. emily quinton commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 7:48am

Beautiful images. So excited about visiting the new store very soon and filling my home with delights :-)

11. Catherine commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 7:59am

I’m American, so I’ve been lucky to be able to shop at Anthropologie for years now! I used to just buy clothes, but now that I’ve gotten older, I’ve begun to pay more attention to their home decor items. Everything is so whimsical and beautiful! I’m honestly surprised that it hadn’t made it to Europe sooner because in America, it’s kind of considered to have a European aesthetic.

12. caro commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 8:02am

I hope they will open a store in good old Germany. I think Hamburg would be the right city for that kind of shop. Oh, please, please, please ….
    .-= caro´s last blog ..Little owls will fly out into the world =-.

13. tiedupmemories commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 8:06am

Love..Love.. Love Anthropologie anytime anywhere! Love London too! Awesome for them! Thanks for sharing!

14. Mallory commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 8:26am

london is my favorite city in the world! my sister is studying abroad there next semester, just as i did, and when i visit her i shall most definitely make a stop at anthropologie.
    .-= Mallory´s last blog ..Fashion Friday – Rory Beca =-.

15. vadjutka commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 8:29am

Wow, is it on Regent Sterret? Very elegant! One more reason for me to visit my beloved London again. Thanks for the report!
    .-= vadjutka´s last blog ..SALE – Energy Drink – Pseudo Cameo glass bead necklace with fabric discs =-.

16. Lecia commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 8:46am

It looks amazing!
    .-= Lecia´s last blog ..fashion =-.

17. Brandi commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 9:54am

I’m jealous I can’t just hop a plane and see the store firsthand. Is it just me, or do it look larger than other Anthropologie stores?
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Pretty Little Packages =-.

18. Nina commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 10:11am

Oh but where are their lovely beds?
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..My dream… =-.

19. Kristy commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 10:58am

I am going to London for the day in Nov and am so glad the store has opened.I envisage an afternoon of drooling!

20. Betsy commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 11:01am

Hooray! My friend Steph, who is a manager at Anthro went all from KC to London to help open the store, so I’m glad to hear that it’s been received so well!

21. Lydia, Clueless Crafter commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 12:10pm

I’m an anthro addict. Fully admit it. The only thing I feel is that their clothing can look old ladyish if you don’t know how to walk and carry yourself in them.

I just got the cutest bathing suit from them. I’ll be going to Art Basel Miami in a month and needed Anthropologie’s cloth art to keep me au courant!
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..HouseCraft: Illuminate Your World from the Inside Out =-.

22. Passementerie commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 1:36pm

I can’t wait to go! I’m glad it seems to be incorporating European designers and making it unique to the UK rather than simply charging more for what all the US shops carry – I’m quite cynical about these things sometimes! I love Anthro in the US, but would be reluctant to pay more for their clothes just because they’re over here.
    .-= Passementerie´s last blog ..Fields and farm animals in the heart of Bloomsbury =-.

23. Jeanee commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 3:40pm

Why oh why is Anthropologie so awesome?!?

Did they let you take photos there? I usually have to sneak when I take photos in Anthropologie.
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..muffins =-.

24. Kylie @ All Things Lovely commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 4:10pm

Oh my gosh!! I’m just swooning here. Thankyou sooo much for sharing those beautiful photos. I think it’s time to start a petition for them to come to Australia! I could spend days in a shop like that.

25. Amy - no. 15 creative commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 4:13pm

Anthro has the best store displays. That living wall is amazing and how cool it is water by rainwater from the roof.
    .-= Amy – no. 15 creative´s last blog ..Photo Friday =-.

26. Penny Patten commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 5:47pm

Oh this really looks like such a great store! Interesting how they attatched the broken dishes on the dress form.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..New England Bloggers Mixer =-.

27. Aspirations of a Southern Housewife commented
    October 23rd, 2009 at 6:10pm

Thanks for the great preview! I am fortunate enough to have an Anthro in my town and I don’t visit enough! (perhaps that is a good thing for my wallet).
    .-= Aspirations of a Southern Housewife´s last blog ..Bringing Nature to Your Walls- Grasscloth =-.

28. madeleine commented
    October 24th, 2009 at 2:01am

i’m almost scared to visit……..utterly amazing!

29. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    October 24th, 2009 at 4:46am

the shop looks lovely! can’t wait for my next opportunity to visit London :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Simple, recycled and unique, this is Freitag =-.

30. Pen commented
    October 24th, 2009 at 8:45am

I went yesterday – it’s beautiful, and definitely has the vibe of the American branches I’ve been into before. There were clearly LOTS of Anthro head office types and US store managers around, and every five minutes someone would ask if I was OK or if they could start a fitting room for me, which was quite sweet. Everyone very eager to please.

The fitting rooms are huge, and really well laid-out, and the jewellery displays are particularly imaginative, though I also loved the homewares and textiles. It is a complete treat visually, and will be a bit of a wake-up call to some of its competitor stores. Interestingly, it’s right opposite branches of Zara Home and Habitat – the former in particular is going to feel the effect, although Zara is a whole lot cheaper than Anthropologie.

In fact, though I bought two tops, a scarf and a Knock Knock notepad for my kitchen, my only complaint is how damn expensive it all is. Just as well I’m not going to be able to make it there every week!

31. Jennifer commented
    October 24th, 2009 at 9:52am

So much pretty I cant even handle it! Think I might have to reblog this awesome post – thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Expect the Unexpected =-.

32. Andrea Yu commented
    October 24th, 2009 at 7:18pm

Can’t ever get enough of Anthropologie. Ahh such greatness!

33. julie k commented
    October 24th, 2009 at 7:52pm

I think I could live there.

34. amanda commented
    October 25th, 2009 at 2:46am

Thanks for the fabulous post, Susannah.
    Loved the pictures.

35. lieke commented
    October 25th, 2009 at 7:18am

I saw the storefront while travelling on a touristbus, got of it only to find out it was still to be opened.. I really want to go there!!! Thanks for the post!!

36. cmorgenstern commented
    October 25th, 2009 at 1:56pm

thanks for the tip. will be in London first week of December and will not leave without a visit to that fabulous store.
    .-= cmorgenstern´s last blog ..Save the last dance for me – Meine letze Rose =-.

37. Helen commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Ooooh They have the Coralie Bickford-Smith for Penguin Classics!!

38. aphrochic commented
    October 27th, 2009 at 6:43pm

The living wall sounds truly amazing. I love how work from local London designers will be incorporated into the store. Anthropologie truly does understand how to create a culture and a feel that now even expands across the globe. Fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing!

39. barbara commented
    October 29th, 2009 at 6:36am

Love the photos. The London store looks huge. I have an Anthropologie obsession. I add the Anthro store to my list of tourist attractions wherever I travel, and am building quite a collection of photos from different stores around the US. I don’t have a trip to London planned anytime soon, but you who live there are very lucky. Their displays are so inspiring, and their goods are amazing. My favorite are the books and the Home Goods.

40. Niki commented
    October 29th, 2009 at 4:32pm

The store looks amazing! Especially the ‘Living Wall’ and it is watered by the rain water collected from the roof. Look forward to visiting it the next time I’m in London. Just what the UK high street needs!

41. cindy commented
    November 10th, 2009 at 2:42pm

awsome whale-who is the artist responsible also the living wall-fabulous

42. Gavin commented
    November 26th, 2009 at 8:42am

There’s so much to learn from fashion just in that one spot. I love the living wall.

43. K Y M commented
    December 20th, 2009 at 11:33pm

what lovely pictures. i happened to visit an anthropologie store here in new york not too long ago and just posted pictures as well ! (i found you on my search for their official blog.) it is hard to resist picture-taking in that store.

there are stories in the displays.
    .-= K Y M´s last blog ..through a prism. =-.

44. Milly Schutz commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 3:38pm

I love this store and had the opportunity to visit the very first one in Phildelphia. It was fantastic and I almost wet my pants just walking in the front door. Yeah, Yahoo Anthropologie.