New Ivy Style

November 18, 2009

I recently shared a home tour with you from Jan in Germany but today I came across some of the things that she is selling in her etsy shop along with more photos of her home and former apartment in Greece. I find her decorative style very soothing, don’t you? The first photo is my favorite because I love the simplicity of it. You can build an entire story in your head as you look at it. And of the course the image that follows is one of her current goodies stocked in her little etsy store, New Ivy Style. The other photos simply show views of how she lives currently and in the past.

New Ivy Style

New Ivy Style

Don’t you love glimpsing into the little worlds of others? I’m a huge fan of Corners of My Home, a flickr group I’ve been enjoying for a long time now. If you are new to Flickr please consider joining the group so you can see corners of inspirational spaces worldwide. It’s like taking a walk at night down a beautiful street and everyone just happens to have their shades open, lights on, and they don’t mind if you walk right up and look inside.

On a side note, you know what is a very popular flower in my city? Orchids. I don’t know if this is all over Germany but I can’t get over the obsession with orchids — nearly every home I enter has them of all varieties, on their windowsills. It’s beautiful and a very unexpected surprise as most people don’t associate Germany with orchids but it’s true!

(images: new ivy style)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Izzy November 18, 2009 at 11:50 am

I like the white/natural colour scheme, it is indeed soothing. A small critical note: I’m really tired of seeing the same Keep Calm and Carry On poster. It’s getting very old.

• Reply Leeann November 18, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Fabulous photos, very calming. I also am a big fan of orchids so much so that I am giving one as a gift inside a fabulous vintage french champagne bucket. Now if only I could get them to flower again as I am not so keen on them once they have lost their flowers….

Leeann x
    .-= Leeann´s last blog ..Patine and my angel friend…. =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 18, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Oh….what a gorgeous home! I adore the soft palette and amazing editing!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Tea & Talk: Ghost Patrol =-.

• Reply Flavia November 18, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Beautiful images! So soothing! I would love to have a kitchen like that. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Imogene November 18, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I don’t know whether orchids are exclusively a German thing… I live in Switzerland and they are popular as gifts here. I have a windowsill full. :-)
    .-= Imogene´s last blog ..Privilege =-.

• Reply decor8 November 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Imogene – So sorry I didn’t mean they are exclusive here in Germany, I simply mean that since moving here and seeing them everywhere and in every home I was a little surprised!

• Reply chiaroscuro November 18, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I like the images, they are very inspiring! As for the orchids, I think it is a (very beautiful) fashion thing going on for a few years now – you can see them in every home and store in middle Europe, including Ikea-showrooms ;-)
    .-= chiaroscuro´s last blog ..bread and salt =-.

• Reply Erika - 2byDesign November 18, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I’d love to be surrounded by orchids! Instead, we’ve got cactus…everywhere. Blah.

That kitchen is glorious by the way!!

• Reply ivy style33 November 18, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Oh! Here I am again! Holly, how nice of you to refer to my freshly opened Etsyshop, thank you SO very much! I could definetely use a gentle push. Also, you have done a very nice combination of my recently uploaded pictures on Flickr! Lets me just explains things abit:
    The picture of the kitchen belongs to “Apartment 44”, the new home of my parents in Greece, which I designed for them from the beginning, as it was completely renovated.
    The Christmas ornamements and vintage ware of my etsy shop
    ( newivystyle.etsy.com) are photographed in my – still – current residence, The Penthouse, in the near of Frankfurt.
    At my flickr account (ivy style33) there are pictures posted of corners of the previous house of my parents – the house that I grew up.
    And finally, there are a few picts of my last apartment in Greece, where I lived before I moved to Germany.
    I hope this explains a bit the…variety in my flickr account.
    And last but not least, let me say it openly, now that I have the chance, that you are doing a fa -bu -lous work Holly and I ‘m loving the latest pictures of your current home, which I find very, very cozy, stylish and beautiful!
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Nature’s treasures… =-.

• Reply Mausumi November 18, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Leeann, do you fertalize your orchids?

They will flower more frequently if you do! And make sure you don’t cut it all the way down, just let them die as far down as they have to, then cut about a centimeter over where it is still alive. The next flowers will most likely come out of the “eye” under where you cut them. Also orchids are more likely to flower again in the spring as they get more light!

I work as a florist, and if anyone has more questions about orchids, I’m happy to answer! :)
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..10 ways to make your work day lovely =-.

• Reply juliette November 19, 2009 at 5:02 am

As a voice from another corner in Germany: Orchids do seem to be a popular houseplant and gift here. I see them in almost every home!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..wool = cozy decor =-.

• Reply Jane November 19, 2009 at 5:47 am

Hi Holly, I totally know what you mean. It is weird! All these orchids. All of a sudden. I would also agree that for some reason they tend to be extremely popular in Germany right now. And they are so cheap. You can buy them everywhere, even at discount stores like Lidl…

• Reply Penny Patten November 20, 2009 at 7:47 pm

It’s always nice to have a peek into some one else’s home, to see how they live, colors, collections and more. Orchids are lovely!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Decorating For The Holidays =-.