Shopgirl Visits: Bison Australia

Would you like to travel to Sydney for a moment to view brightly colored stoneware ceramics and tour the light-filled store of Bison with me? Photographed by the talented Jillian Leiboff, prepare to be transported to sunny Australia! Jillian photographed Bison’s brand new shop recently and is sharing her visit with all of us today… are your ready?

Bison

Bison, which was founded by principal designer Brian Turks who trained in archaeology, first discovered his love of ceramics from his Greco-Roman excavations in the Middle East. Fascinating source of inspiration! You will love all of Bison’s brightly colored stoneware ceramics — I see so many things that I want to buy and use in my kitchen. The store design is quite lovely and simple, the neutral foundation highlights the colorful vessels and the natural light that floods the space is breathtaking. I also like the shelving and the remarkable height of the overall space — it feels airy and inspiring!

Bison

Bison

Bison

Bison

Bison

Bison

Bison will soon have an online shop opening up later this winter so bookmark them and return early next year if you’d like to purchase a few of their beautiful wares. I sure do — especially after seeing Jillian’s mouth-watering shots!

(photography: jillian leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in Shopgirl Visits on December 10, 2009

1. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 9:18am

Oh wow……how incredibly gorgeous. I will definitely bookmark them, how amazing would it be to have a whole shelf filled with these? Love….and I adore the tiny little bison logo.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: Interiors? =-.

2. Heather commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 9:28am

I just love those colors…so beautiful! I need to go book a trip to Australia!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Happy Holidays-Giveaway =-.

3. luisa commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 9:39am

wow. this is just lovely. I’m falling in love with every single color.

4. Victoria Klein commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 9:47am

Such a gorgeous space & colorful creations – this place couldn’t be better! I look forward to their online shop. I will certainly be buying. :)

5. Lori commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:00am

Oh wow! So beautiful! I love the colors and the bison logo. I can’t wait for the online shop!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Merry Christmas to Me! =-.

6. Ele commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:13am

SO gorgeous- those colours look amazing all lined up like that! I’m especially loving the lipped bowls and jugs.

Bookmarked this page for the future- once the shop opens, I might feature them on my Kitchenisms blog!
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..My festive side: Maple Roasted Parsnips, Carrots and Shallots =-.

7. Piper commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:15am

thanks for posting this! my husband and i visited australia in april this year – and absolutely fell in love with sydney. we didn’t want to leave!! they have such amazing boutiques and designers. now another one to bookmark!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{boutique love} =-.

8. Emily commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:32am

What a gorgeous store. So many great things. I’m looking forward to the online shop opening!

9. Jeanee commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:42am

Ooh wee!!! LOVE all of the colors. Looks like candy!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..shop update =-.

10. Dany commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:45am

Another reason to go to Aussie :)

11. Claire commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:53am

Holy moly! What a tremendously beautiful store! The colour selection is total perfection!
    .-= Claire´s last blog ..A Speakeasy success! =-.

12. Laurie commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:56am

just bought my plane ticket!
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..All You Want for Christmas is on ETSY =-.

13. Concha commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 10:59am

Wow… this shop is utterly amazing!!

The products! The display!!
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Time Out Lisboa =-.

14. Irina commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 11:00am

Oooh! Beautiful! Don’t think I’d be able to leave that shop once in!..

15. leslie commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 11:36am

Wow! Amazing ceramics! The photography is gorgeous too…going to check out more of Jillian’s work.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Travel Notes =-.

16. Suze commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 11:45am

Not planning Australia any soon, but – look – this could be enough reason! I love it! And there’s always something utterly irresistible for me in piles and stacks and rows of lovely things, specially if ordered per coulor…
    Great pics too.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ciao!
    .-= Suze´s last blog ..Advent Calendar * 10 * =-.

17. paola commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 11:56am

Oh, I used to carry a lot of Bison stuff in the shop, but it was SO heavy to ship all the way from Australia… looking at this though makes me think it’s time to re-order. Their stuff really is FABULOUS quality…
    .-= paola´s last blog ..A New Me – December 2009 =-.

18. Lucia commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 11:59am

beautiful collection and tonalities!

19. decor8 commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 11:59am

Paola – Do you know where I can buy it in London — any shops that you personally suggest?

20. paola commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 12:16pm

No I don’t, when we carried a lot of it we were one of the only UK stockists, though they were trying to build up their presence. But I think the shipping costs from Oz put off a lot of people.

For some reason which I don’t quite understand (because they’re gorgeous), we still have a lot of latte cups left over here. http://www.mirrormirrorontheweb.co.uk/products.asp?category=Eat&recnumber=8 which are on at half price. The latte cups are lovely, they have no handles, so are great also for serving ice cream and other desserts (I use mine for affogato)
    .-= paola´s last blog ..A New Me – December 2009 =-.

21. gina commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 12:47pm

this is absolutely gorgeous work! Congrats!

22. Stacey commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 12:54pm

Those are fantastic photos of gorgeous ceramics! I love the clean lines and solid, vivid colors. Bison is going on my list of places to visit when I get to Sydney someday!
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..More fun holiday decor! =-.

23. Catherine Bain commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 1:39pm

I am one of the lucky ones……I live in Sydney!
    The Bison shop is every bit as gorgeous as these beautiful photos depict :)

24. Suzanna commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 3:13pm

So beautiful!

25. Kiran commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 3:25pm

The Bison is so colorful :) I can spend ages wandering about in the shop!
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Part 2 – A visit to the Astronaut Hall of Fame =-.

26. Chloe commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 4:20pm

Freakin’ amaaaAzing, Holly!!!

27. Jessica @{Black.White.Yellow.} commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 5:13pm

Good grief….this place is gorgeous.

28. simplygrove commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 5:55pm

The colors are amazing!! xx

29. Karen commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 6:05pm

Yes, I’ll be going there! I visit Sydney often, so will add it to my list of ‘must see’ places. Love the logos and colours – love it all actually. And what stunning photography!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Dragonfly Xmas Decorations =-.

30. LethaColleen commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 6:19pm

These color ways are just stupendous…and quite unusual too. I’m so drawn in…
    .-= LethaColleen´s last blog ..Jaime Beitler [SHINE!] =-.

31. Amy - No.15 commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Gorgeous pottery! The shapes are great and I love the colors.
    .-= Amy – No.15´s last blog ..Holiday Unique =-.

32. julie commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 8:00pm

I love seeing all the rainbow of vases grouped together – they have the yummiest colours. Thanks for the extra pic’s – I saw one picture in the new issue of Inside Out magazine, but this was a real treat seeing the rest of the store!
    .-= julie´s last blog ..extinct – Dinosaur Designs sale store! =-.

33. Bridie commented
    December 11th, 2009 at 1:10am

Don’t forget the Bison store in Howie Place, Melbourne Australia too! I have my personal collection of Bison vases, bowls and teacups – I just adore them. The colours are inspiring and each piece is a pleasure to handle. I was so happy to see my favourite shop on your site.
    Bridie

34. Helen commented
    December 11th, 2009 at 6:16am

oh I adore Bison. Even though the Sydney shop is gorgeous and airy, I adore the cosiness of the Melbourne store. Gosh I love Bison.

35. Lutheen commented
    December 11th, 2009 at 12:02pm

VERY VERY VERY beautiful !!!!!! I love it !!!! …. congratulation for her !!!!

36. Katherine aka. Urban Flea commented
    December 11th, 2009 at 2:45pm

um, yes please!!! great find as always!

xo katherine aka. urbanflea
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..item du jour: picture frame fireplace =-.

37. Tamara commented
    December 11th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Bison is actually manufactured in Canberra, where I live. I would be happy to go to the Canberra store and buy items for people, if you are truly interested (and I would only charge actual postage/packaging costs – the benefit for me is an excuse to browse there myself). Please note, however, that Bison homewares are heavy and Australia Post charges can be expensive (and they’re the cheapest provider). I’ll check back over the next few days to see if anyone is keen.
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..Partridge in a pear tree papercut – cherry red =-.

38. diana strinati baur commented
    December 12th, 2009 at 3:24am

Hey Holly! I am just getting caught up, and saw this Bison post. I love the aesthetic of Bison ceramics, always have. It is very reduced “auf die wesentlichen” as they say in German — I guess you would say, reduced to the most important aspects. Austere yet decorative at the same time. The packaging is just as beautiful.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..A Beautiful Swedish Home =-.

39. Sim commented
    December 12th, 2009 at 3:37am

Hi, Holly. Thanks so much for featuring Bison. I will be in Australia this holiday season and i’ve been looking for shops to visit. Bison is now in my list. Thanks for sharing. Warm regards.
    .-= Sim´s last blog ..Lovely Notepad Holders =-.

40. Penny Patten commented
    December 12th, 2009 at 12:40pm

Oh the colors are wonderful, what lovely work!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog .."Gaiter’s" =-.

41. Lee Weber commented
    December 12th, 2009 at 11:56pm

Bookmarked! The colors are absolutely brilliant and the pictures are great.
    .-= Lee Weber´s last blog ..Walking on Wool – Natural Carpet Options =-.

42. bathroom suites commented
    December 13th, 2009 at 10:06am

hello
    would like to advertise on your site please can you email me and tell me the procedure i tryed contacting you but it says will contact me in seven days been 7 months but still waiting for your reply
    looking forward to your reply
    thanks

43. Kristin commented
    December 13th, 2009 at 4:01pm

With colors like that, how could I possibly stop at just ONE item!? Love the little bison on the pottery.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..And… I’m back! =-.

44. Kristin commented
    December 13th, 2009 at 4:04pm

P.S. – As I was looking at these photographs I thought of Russell Wright’s ceramics. Some of these colors are spot on with his work – even the simple aesthetic is similar. I’m truly smitten with these ceramics, thank you for sharing Holly.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..And… I’m back! =-.

45. Bridie commented
    December 13th, 2009 at 6:49pm

In my comment no. 32 I said the Bison shop in Melbourne was in Howie Place, it’s actually Howey Place and your post sent me Christmas shopping there on the weekend – bliss!

46. Alyssa commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:25am

Pretty pretty pretty so so so so pretty! Oh I am excited about this online shopping that is soon to come… even if my husband and bank account may not be. How exciting!

47. Kara commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 12:12pm

Wow! The range of colors are amazing! I want to move in!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Illustration friday, "frozen" {birdsicles} =-.

48. Erin commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 4:18pm

I love the bison decal on everything! It’s all so pretty!

49. Courtney commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 8:29pm

I would probably pass out if I walked into this store. Online store soon? That could be very dangerous.

50. Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} commented
    April 20th, 2011 at 3:39pm

So so pretty. I wish I could get my hands on these.
    Shaheen {The Purple Foodie}´s last blog post ..Tomato and Rosemary Focaccia