Home Tours

Bison Australia Shop Tour

December 10, 2009

Would you like to travel to Sydney for a moment to view brightly colored stoneware ceramics and tour the light-filled store of Bison with me? Photographed by the talented Jillian Leiboff, prepare to be transported to sunny Australia! Jillian photographed Bison’s brand new shop recently and is sharing her visit with all of us today… are your ready?

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison, which was founded by principal designer Brian Turks who trained in archaeology, first discovered his love of ceramics from his Greco-Roman excavations in the Middle East. Fascinating source of inspiration! You will love all of Bison’s brightly colored stoneware ceramics — I see so many things that I want to buy and use in my kitchen. The store design is quite lovely and simple, the neutral foundation highlights the colorful vessels and the natural light that floods the space is breathtaking. I also like the shelving and the remarkable height of the overall space — it feels airy and inspiring!

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison Australia Shop Tour

Bison will soon have an online shop opening up later this winter so bookmark them and return early next year if you’d like to purchase a few of their beautiful wares. I sure do — especially after seeing Jillian’s mouth-watering shots!

(photography: jillian leiboff)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 10, 2009 at 9:18 am

Oh wow……how incredibly gorgeous. I will definitely bookmark them, how amazing would it be to have a whole shelf filled with these? Love….and I adore the tiny little bison logo.
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: Interiors? =-.

• Reply Heather December 10, 2009 at 9:28 am

I just love those colors…so beautiful! I need to go book a trip to Australia!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Happy Holidays-Giveaway =-.

• Reply luisa December 10, 2009 at 9:39 am

wow. this is just lovely. I’m falling in love with every single color.

• Reply Victoria Klein December 10, 2009 at 9:47 am

Such a gorgeous space & colorful creations – this place couldn’t be better! I look forward to their online shop. I will certainly be buying. :)

• Reply Lori December 10, 2009 at 10:00 am

Oh wow! So beautiful! I love the colors and the bison logo. I can’t wait for the online shop!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Merry Christmas to Me! =-.

• Reply Ele December 10, 2009 at 10:13 am

SO gorgeous- those colours look amazing all lined up like that! I’m especially loving the lipped bowls and jugs.

Bookmarked this page for the future- once the shop opens, I might feature them on my Kitchenisms blog!
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..My festive side: Maple Roasted Parsnips, Carrots and Shallots =-.

• Reply Piper December 10, 2009 at 10:15 am

thanks for posting this! my husband and i visited australia in april this year – and absolutely fell in love with sydney. we didn’t want to leave!! they have such amazing boutiques and designers. now another one to bookmark!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{boutique love} =-.

• Reply Emily December 10, 2009 at 10:32 am

What a gorgeous store. So many great things. I’m looking forward to the online shop opening!

• Reply Jeanee December 10, 2009 at 10:42 am

Ooh wee!!! LOVE all of the colors. Looks like candy!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..shop update =-.

• Reply Dany December 10, 2009 at 10:45 am

Another reason to go to Aussie :)

• Reply Claire December 10, 2009 at 10:53 am

Holy moly! What a tremendously beautiful store! The colour selection is total perfection!
    .-= Claire´s last blog ..A Speakeasy success! =-.

• Reply Laurie December 10, 2009 at 10:56 am

just bought my plane ticket!
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..All You Want for Christmas is on ETSY =-.

• Reply Concha December 10, 2009 at 10:59 am

Wow… this shop is utterly amazing!!

The products! The display!!
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Time Out Lisboa =-.

• Reply Irina December 10, 2009 at 11:00 am

Oooh! Beautiful! Don’t think I’d be able to leave that shop once in!..

• Reply leslie December 10, 2009 at 11:36 am

Wow! Amazing ceramics! The photography is gorgeous too…going to check out more of Jillian’s work.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Travel Notes =-.

• Reply Suze December 10, 2009 at 11:45 am

Not planning Australia any soon, but – look – this could be enough reason! I love it! And there’s always something utterly irresistible for me in piles and stacks and rows of lovely things, specially if ordered per coulor…
    Great pics too.
    Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Suze´s last blog ..Advent Calendar * 10 * =-.

• Reply paola December 10, 2009 at 11:56 am

Oh, I used to carry a lot of Bison stuff in the shop, but it was SO heavy to ship all the way from Australia… looking at this though makes me think it’s time to re-order. Their stuff really is FABULOUS quality…
    .-= paola´s last blog ..A New Me – December 2009 =-.

• Reply decor8 December 10, 2009 at 11:59 am

Paola – Do you know where I can buy it in London — any shops that you personally suggest?

• Reply Lucia December 10, 2009 at 11:59 am

beautiful collection and tonalities!

• Reply paola December 10, 2009 at 12:16 pm

No I don’t, when we carried a lot of it we were one of the only UK stockists, though they were trying to build up their presence. But I think the shipping costs from Oz put off a lot of people.

For some reason which I don’t quite understand (because they’re gorgeous), we still have a lot of latte cups left over here. http://www.mirrormirrorontheweb.co.uk/products.asp?category=Eat&recnumber=8 which are on at half price. The latte cups are lovely, they have no handles, so are great also for serving ice cream and other desserts (I use mine for affogato)
    .-= paola´s last blog ..A New Me – December 2009 =-.

• Reply gina December 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

this is absolutely gorgeous work! Congrats!

• Reply Stacey December 10, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Those are fantastic photos of gorgeous ceramics! I love the clean lines and solid, vivid colors. Bison is going on my list of places to visit when I get to Sydney someday!
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..More fun holiday decor! =-.

• Reply Catherine Bain December 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I am one of the lucky ones……I live in Sydney!
    The Bison shop is every bit as gorgeous as these beautiful photos depict :)

• Reply Suzanna December 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm

So beautiful!

• Reply Kiran December 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm

The Bison is so colorful :) I can spend ages wandering about in the shop!
    .-= Kiran´s last blog ..Part 2 – A visit to the Astronaut Hall of Fame =-.

• Reply Chloe December 10, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Freakin’ amaaaAzing, Holly!!!

• Reply Jessica @{Black.White.Yellow.} December 10, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Good grief….this place is gorgeous.

• Reply simplygrove December 10, 2009 at 5:55 pm

The colors are amazing!! xx

• Reply Karen December 10, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Yes, I’ll be going there! I visit Sydney often, so will add it to my list of ‘must see’ places. Love the logos and colours – love it all actually. And what stunning photography!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Dragonfly Xmas Decorations =-.

• Reply LethaColleen December 10, 2009 at 6:19 pm

These color ways are just stupendous…and quite unusual too. I’m so drawn in…
    .-= LethaColleen´s last blog ..Jaime Beitler [SHINE!] =-.

• Reply Amy - No.15 December 10, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Gorgeous pottery! The shapes are great and I love the colors.
    .-= Amy – No.15´s last blog ..Holiday Unique =-.

• Reply julie December 10, 2009 at 8:00 pm

I love seeing all the rainbow of vases grouped together – they have the yummiest colours. Thanks for the extra pic’s – I saw one picture in the new issue of Inside Out magazine, but this was a real treat seeing the rest of the store!
    .-= julie´s last blog ..extinct – Dinosaur Designs sale store! =-.

• Reply Bridie December 11, 2009 at 1:10 am

Don’t forget the Bison store in Howie Place, Melbourne Australia too! I have my personal collection of Bison vases, bowls and teacups – I just adore them. The colours are inspiring and each piece is a pleasure to handle. I was so happy to see my favourite shop on your site.

• Reply Helen December 11, 2009 at 6:16 am

oh I adore Bison. Even though the Sydney shop is gorgeous and airy, I adore the cosiness of the Melbourne store. Gosh I love Bison.

• Reply Lutheen December 11, 2009 at 12:02 pm

VERY VERY VERY beautiful !!!!!! I love it !!!! …. congratulation for her !!!!

• Reply Katherine aka. Urban Flea December 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm

um, yes please!!! great find as always!

xo katherine aka. urbanflea
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..item du jour: picture frame fireplace =-.

• Reply Tamara December 11, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Bison is actually manufactured in Canberra, where I live. I would be happy to go to the Canberra store and buy items for people, if you are truly interested (and I would only charge actual postage/packaging costs – the benefit for me is an excuse to browse there myself). Please note, however, that Bison homewares are heavy and Australia Post charges can be expensive (and they’re the cheapest provider). I’ll check back over the next few days to see if anyone is keen.
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..Partridge in a pear tree papercut – cherry red =-.

• Reply diana strinati baur December 12, 2009 at 3:24 am

Hey Holly! I am just getting caught up, and saw this Bison post. I love the aesthetic of Bison ceramics, always have. It is very reduced “auf die wesentlichen” as they say in German — I guess you would say, reduced to the most important aspects. Austere yet decorative at the same time. The packaging is just as beautiful.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..A Beautiful Swedish Home =-.

• Reply Sim December 12, 2009 at 3:37 am

Hi, Holly. Thanks so much for featuring Bison. I will be in Australia this holiday season and i’ve been looking for shops to visit. Bison is now in my list. Thanks for sharing. Warm regards.
    .-= Sim´s last blog ..Lovely Notepad Holders =-.

• Reply Penny Patten December 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Oh the colors are wonderful, what lovely work!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog .."Gaiter’s" =-.

• Reply Lee Weber December 12, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Bookmarked! The colors are absolutely brilliant and the pictures are great.
    .-= Lee Weber´s last blog ..Walking on Wool – Natural Carpet Options =-.

• Reply bathroom suites December 13, 2009 at 10:06 am

would like to advertise on your site please can you email me and tell me the procedure i tryed contacting you but it says will contact me in seven days been 7 months but still waiting for your reply
    looking forward to your reply

• Reply Kristin December 13, 2009 at 4:01 pm

With colors like that, how could I possibly stop at just ONE item!? Love the little bison on the pottery.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..And… I’m back! =-.

• Reply Kristin December 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm

P.S. – As I was looking at these photographs I thought of Russell Wright’s ceramics. Some of these colors are spot on with his work – even the simple aesthetic is similar. I’m truly smitten with these ceramics, thank you for sharing Holly.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..And… I’m back! =-.

• Reply Bridie December 13, 2009 at 6:49 pm

In my comment no. 32 I said the Bison shop in Melbourne was in Howie Place, it’s actually Howey Place and your post sent me Christmas shopping there on the weekend – bliss!

• Reply Alyssa December 14, 2009 at 1:25 am

Pretty pretty pretty so so so so pretty! Oh I am excited about this online shopping that is soon to come… even if my husband and bank account may not be. How exciting!

• Reply Kara December 15, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Wow! The range of colors are amazing! I want to move in!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Illustration friday, "frozen" {birdsicles} =-.

• Reply Erin December 16, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I love the bison decal on everything! It’s all so pretty!

• Reply Courtney January 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I would probably pass out if I walked into this store. Online store soon? That could be very dangerous.

• Reply Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} April 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

So so pretty. I wish I could get my hands on these.