Color Inspiration

Red, White and Kraft Paper Brown

December 14, 2009

Hello Friends, it’s Leslie with Color Me Pretty and this time around I wanted to work with red, white and kraft paper brown for a simple and slightly nostalgic approach to the winter holidays. There are lots of vintage bottles, twine and old newspapers combined with apples, pine cones and a few berries. I hope you enjoy this series I made for you.

Red, White and Kraft Paper Brown

It is always nice to turn wrapping into a tiny design project – right? For the few gifts I choose to give, no matter how small, I love the creative challenge and the result of having a gift show care and attention. If you give yourself a little extra time it is amazing what you can use up from around your home – scrap papers, brown lunch bags, extra buttons, kitchen twine or whatever else you can find to add a little extra love to your gifts.

Red, White and Kraft Paper Brown

Red, White and Kraft Paper Brown

Red, White and Kraft Paper Brown

Red, White and Kraft Paper Brown

Holiday decorating can be so elegant when done with simple gestures that speak about what you love. Like a bowl of crunchy red apples waiting to be eaten or made into a pie. Lots of pie cones gathered from walks and sprinkled around the house. A few sprigs of berries or a small bunch of roses on the table. Whatever you love and whatever helps you settle into what the holidays mean for you. Of course some yummy smells from the kitchen are always good too!

I really hope you liked this collection and I will be back soon with one more holiday series, until then, all my best to you. – Leslie.

(images: leslie shewing)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Nina December 14, 2009 at 11:23 am

I love these color combo! I love the bottles. Where did you get them? Are they vintage soda pop bottles?
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..The Julie & Julia in me.. =-.

• Reply Samantha Lamb December 14, 2009 at 11:26 am

This will help soooo much for my part this sunday:) !! lovely love lovely:)

• Reply Beth perry December 14, 2009 at 11:27 am

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS EYE CANDY! love the packaging and the little touches throughout all the projects! thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..SAMURAI WARRIOR =-.

• Reply Susan Mulder December 14, 2009 at 11:28 am

Love all of it!!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 14, 2009 at 11:36 am

I get so incredibly excited every time one of Leslie’s “color me pretty” posts is up….and she surprises me and delights me every time! I agree, that the simple things can be really magical at this time…you have done a beautiful job Leslie….and those little canvas hearts, did you make those? I love them so much….when are you going to open up a shop? I want answers! :) The beautiful white jug with the branches & pinecones….the little felt coaster on the package…the berry branches in the bottles and the plate of cookies….all so gorgeous and so beautifully styled. You are something my dear…
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by Miss Capricho =-.

• Reply Mrs. M December 14, 2009 at 11:37 am

just gorgeous!!! I love this simple color combo. x
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..pretty papers, pretty ribbons of blue =-.

• Reply Jeanee December 14, 2009 at 11:38 am

Love it! I’m about to wrap some ornaments up like that for an ornament swap. This issue of Color Me Pretty has given me more ideas to spruce it up!

.-= Jeanee´s last blog ..ready for some sewin’ =-.

• Reply Christine December 14, 2009 at 11:47 am

You are such a talented photographer and stylist Leslie. The way you’ve kept the color scheme really simple by limiting it to red and white feel really refreshing~wonderful!

p.s. where did you find those ribbons?
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Art Dolls Shop Update: Part Two! =-.

• Reply Caitlin December 14, 2009 at 11:53 am

Oh my goodness, I think that this is my favourite Color Me Pretty yet!!
    I absolutely love the neutrals with the red- to me, that just says Christmas. These photos are all so cozy and festive! I love red lately, and this is exactly how I would love to decorate for the holidays! And thanks for all the great wrapping ideas- so simple yet they look amazing!!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Holiday Cheer =-.

• Reply Nicole December 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I love the red-and-white combination… reminds me of Christmas at my Swedish grandmother’s house. And just overall looks so pretty!
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..13-Year-Old Authors- Help their Bestseller Campaign! =-.

• Reply Home Decoration Ideas December 14, 2009 at 12:22 pm

just gorgeous!!! I love this simple color combo.

• Reply Melibu December 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I really like these colors. I was in search of inspiration for red and white decoration.
    Thanks !
    .-= Melibu´s last blog ..DIY Felt plushes / Peluche en feutrine =-.

• Reply Sabbio December 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Wonderful collection, lovely for my eyes! :)
    .-= Sabbio´s last blog ..Marque-pages et médaille en chocolat =-.

• Reply Nuit December 14, 2009 at 12:40 pm

This is gorgeous, I truly loved this post, so much wonderful holiday inspiration! x
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Advent Calendars, totally cute! =-.

• Reply Jessica December 14, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Leslie, I am in love with those darling little pine cones hanging from the branches. Swoon! You’re rocksome! (A combo of “you rock” and “you’re awesome.”)
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Philip Newton =-.

• Reply Catalina December 14, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Love this series. By far my favourite. Great job Leslie

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids December 14, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Wow! i love that ribbon that has written “to someone special” simply gorgeous!!!
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Delightful Cologne’s Christmas Markets! =-.

• Reply cara December 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Beautiful! Seriously, I love “waking up” on Mondays to Leslie’s posts!
    .-= cara´s last blog ..Happy Monday! =-.

• Reply Kat December 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Eye-candy very much appreciated!

• Reply Sarah December 14, 2009 at 1:03 pm

What beautiful images. Not normally a fan of red and white, except candy canes, but I loved this post.

• Reply juliette December 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm

LUSH – you are awesome! Thanks so much for this – esp the giftwrapping. I love it!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..2 wreaths and a dose of perspective =-.

• Reply Meagan December 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Beautiful! I love this color combination. So simple, homey, and elegant at the same time.

I too would love to know a source for those ribbons–they are gorgeous!

• Reply Kara December 14, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Absolutely dreamy! I love the simplicity of it all with a vintage vibe. Kraft paper is my favorite wrapping paper : )

• Reply Shanon December 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I love these Leslie! I so adore when you do a tight color palette. The humble earthiness and simplicity of this style of holiday decorating is stunning and quietly reflective. You’re the best. xoxo
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Cozy Sunday =-.

• Reply Daniella December 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Sooo beautiful! I’m wrapping my gifts like this too! Kraft paper with red & white twine… love the idea of little spriggs of something or a pincone… might add that!

• Reply Amie December 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Beautiful combination, as always. I always look forward to your posts Leslie! I really love the red coaster.

• Reply laura trevey December 14, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Holiday decorating is so fun! Beautiful inspiration boards… love the red berries throughout!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Beach Chairs, Watercolor Print, 8 by 10 =-.

• Reply leslie December 14, 2009 at 2:18 pm

You guys are the best! Thank you!!!
    The ribbons are from:
    I couldn’t resist while visiting their fabulous little shop in London. The vintage soda pop bottles are from the Rose Bowl Flea Market -very inexpensive and there were lots of them at the time.
    Thanks again for being such supportive readers -you inspire me.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty Time =-.

• Reply Sarah December 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Gorgeous! love the color combos and the natural elements…can you come to my house and wrap my prezzies??!!

• Reply Laura Gaskill December 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm

So many special little details here – I love how you used foreign language newspaper as gift wrap, those soda bottles with the red berries, so many gorgeous ribbons, yum yum yum!
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Wish List #1: Carol =-.

• Reply byPetra December 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm

My gosh… I love these all, and they inspire me for my christmas presents. Thank you Leslie! and Holly for sharing :-)

.-= byPetra´s last blog ..Christmas card =-.

• Reply michele December 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm

red & white is my favorite combo!! love this! beautiful work, leslie!!
    .-= michele´s last blog ..almost a no-go, but not all the way. =-.

• Reply lindsay December 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm

We think alike! This was the same palette we used for packaging our gifts this year as well. And we didn’t have to buy a single thing. The kids had so much fun deciding what to pull from the pile of goodies to wrap up Grandma’s gifts. I put the gift tags I designed up on my blog, free to download, to anyone who wants to use them…

This was such a pretty festive post!

• Reply Minnie December 14, 2009 at 3:09 pm

How wonderfully luscious! I love all these little touches. What a treat to see these today. You have a way of making even the ordinary (red/white color combo) seem so special and inviting. There will be less presents under our tree this year due to the bad economy but you’ve given me some wonderful ideas for ways to make the few that are there seem extra special. And because there are less presents, I certainly have more time to spend wrapping my gifts.
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Dreaming of a (vintage) pink Christmas =-.

• Reply Nadine December 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Dear Leslie,
    your photos are so beautiful. I love every little detail but especially those hanging cones.

Thank you Holly for sharing.

.-= Nadine´s last blog ..Dritter Advent =-.

• Reply Karen December 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Love the ribbons – so sweet!!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Tuesday Tea Party – Pool Party!!! =-.

• Reply Muffin December 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I am in love with these ribbons!!!! Where did you get them! Amazing photos! As talented as ever!
    .-= Muffin´s last blog ..Giveaway =-.

• Reply kamila December 14, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Gorgeous and so inspiring!

• Reply Julie Cove December 14, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I spy a Scandinavian flavour in the air! Les, this is so fresh & simplistic yet absolutely lovely and festive that it makes me yearn for way less holiday rubber maid tubs in my storage space! Thanx for the inspiration to edit some things when I pack up the holiday fixings for next year:)
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Hostess with the Mostess Gifts =-.

• Reply Suzanne December 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Love these ideas and the collages are fabulous. A true designer will always find a new project within a current one! I’m packaging my gifts in a similar manner and it is so much more fun.

Happy holidays to you.

.-= Suzanne´s last blog ..It’s coming on Christmas… =-.

• Reply Katie Stephenson December 14, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Gosh, you are so talented, Leslie–from your art, to your styling and photographs and simply your taste. Bravo and high-fives! I’ll be joining for the class in the new year and can’t wait!
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..sweater mittens, check! =-.

• Reply vicki (simply hue) December 14, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Wow, Leslie……this is a gorgeous post! It really has a nostalgic, vintage feeling and makes me all warm inside. lol. You are one talented lady! xo

• Reply City Chic - Jamie December 14, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Oh wow! I love the inspiration for wrapping presents, comes at the perfect time (I still need to wrap mine!). Thanks for the eye candy!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Holiday Cards with Buttons, Tape, and Twine =-.

• Reply crt December 14, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I LOVE all of this… no one stands a chance of not being in the mood to wrap, decorate or bake to their heart’s content after viewing this!!! All so simple, yet so very elegant. And the warmth of the holiday oozes out of each picture. thank you!!!

• Reply Kristin December 14, 2009 at 4:59 pm

so great. you can also get the baker’s twine in the sundance catalogue, but it is probably more expensive?
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Here’s a Better photo of my Dilemma =-.

• Reply B December 14, 2009 at 7:22 pm

There’s something about the craft paper brown that really works for me. It’s traditional but…more.

And I love, love, love that white pitcher with the branches and pinecones.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Thank You Gathering Spriggs =-.

• Reply sungting December 14, 2009 at 7:40 pm

These are so so pretty!!!
    Love the white and red combo, and really love the details in the photos =]
    Especially the ribbons!!!! those with the words “to someone special”
    Where can I get those ribbons?
    .-= sungting´s last blog ..COLOR PLAY: LIGHT BLUES =-.

• Reply Alison Gibbs December 14, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Leslie what a great look. Isn’t it amazing what you can do with the things you already have around the home. Colour combination is fabulous
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..OH CHRISTMAS TREE..OH CHRISTMAS TREE & WE HAVE A WINNER =-.

• Reply ruth December 14, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Leslie you’ve done it again! :) this is such eye candy.

Where did you get the ribbons from? they’re to die for!

• Reply youngmi December 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm

so much inspiration! i love it all :) especially that first photo <3
    .-= youngmi´s last blog ..i dream of pretty baker’s twine =-.

• Reply alli michelle December 14, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Amazing! Love, love this inspiration.
    .-= alli michelle´s last blog ..snow-white rooms =-.

• Reply Carly December 14, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Simply beautiful!! Stunning inspiration! Thank you.
    .-= Carly´s last blog ..A Jacksonbelle Blog Hop! =-.

• Reply blue bicicletta December 15, 2009 at 12:05 am

ooh, gorgeous! I LOVE this color palette–I love kraft paper, and neutral white, combined with the voluptuous red. I have taken to stamping lately–got a set of alphabet stamps and some kraft brown wrapping paper, and it’s so fun to stamp messages on the tops of packages or make some impromptu wrapping paper with the letters of the person’s name. Gorgeous ideas and pictures!
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..Life as an Artist: update 5 =-.

• Reply erika at delphine December 15, 2009 at 12:32 am

Everything is just lovely, as usual, Leslie. I heart the stack of gorgeous ribbons. Who wouldn’t feel special getting a gift wrapped like any of these??

I once caused a minor traffic jam at the post office because I stopped my car to hop out and “save” some pine cones in the driveway from being crushed. I took them home, painted glue on the tips, and then dusted them with clear glitter. It was simple fun — which sometimes gets lost this time of year as I tend to focus on my giant to-do list(s) instead of enjoying the holiday season.
    .-= erika at delphine´s last blog guide: for the designerd =-.

• Reply Shell December 15, 2009 at 1:16 am

Leslie, this is wonderful. The red with the brown sparkle for me.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..A bit of holiday bashing =-.

• Reply Vicki Moore December 15, 2009 at 1:43 am

Gorgeous Leslie… love each beautiful photograph! I can’t get enough of the vintage style ribbons and twine you use. This is the inspiration I needed to get into the holiday spirit. Thank you!

• Reply Mausumi December 15, 2009 at 3:18 am

I love the colors you have put together here! Most of all, I love that the red isn’t bright red, but a little darker hue.

Personally though, I’m no fan of red for christmas, I’m using purple and pink! :)
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..The Advent Calendar; December 12th =-.

• Reply Lana December 15, 2009 at 8:00 am

Absolutely stunning again! Such great inspiration! Love the red felt doily
    .-= Lana´s last blog ..Russia day 2… =-.

• Reply Piper December 15, 2009 at 10:06 am

We must be on the same wave-length….i’m using red, silver and white as my “theme” this year for christmas. now, thanks to your fabulous pix, i have lots more ideas for those colors!! I love the idea of using buttons….so many things you can do with those.
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{hand knit accessories} =-.

• Reply Penny Patten December 15, 2009 at 11:38 am

The “Pretty” is in the simplicity. Thanks for sharing, very pretty.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Inspiration is all around us! =-.

• Reply Travelingmama December 15, 2009 at 11:45 am

Sigh… it’s all so pretty. I look forward to seeing what you have for us each week!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..{reality} sets in =-.

• Reply irene December 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm

i just love these ideas!
    .-= irene´s last blog ..sandra’s letter =-.

• Reply Alice at Simply The Nest December 15, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Yowser. I think I just decided to wrap all my presents this year in brown paper, newspaper, twine, and doilies. Yep, I’m definitely going for it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Alice at Simply The Nest´s last blog ..Recipe For Chinese (Peking) Crispy Duck, Pancakes And Plum Sauce =-.

• Reply Diane December 15, 2009 at 5:23 pm

I love this post! So inspiring and I love the wrapping ideas. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply stephanie December 16, 2009 at 10:36 am

beautifully wrapped and beautifully photographed. wow.
    .-= stephanie´s last blog ..Sushi Magic =-.

• Reply Amanda December 16, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Beautiful pics – I feel inspired, am off to buy some bits and then get wrapping!!!

• Reply CommeUnPiou December 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Thank you for this “color me pretty” everything is very inspirating and not very difficult to do !

• Reply vira December 21, 2009 at 9:05 am

i looovee your blog
    so inspirating
    as a student of interior design and as a girl ;)

• Reply Kate December 13, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I love going back to find posts that caught my eye a year ago and realizing that they are just as, or even more, fresh and inspiring than I remembered. This is certainly the case here, and I just had to comment this time! The red and white are simply stunning, as is the combination of vintage and natural materials. I’m bookmarking this page to pull up next year, around the same time that we unpack the ornaments.