Color Me Pretty

Hello Friends, it’s Leslie with Color Me Pretty and this time around I wanted to work with red, white and kraft paper brown for a simple and slightly nostalgic approach to the winter holidays. There are lots of vintage bottles, twine and old newspapers combined with apples, pine cones and a few berries. I hope you enjoy this series I made for you.

Color Me Pretty

It is always nice to turn wrapping into a tiny design project – right? For the few gifts I choose to give, no matter how small, I love the creative challenge and the result of having a gift show care and attention. If you give yourself a little extra time it is amazing what you can use up from around your home – scrap papers, brown lunch bags, extra buttons, kitchen twine or whatever else you can find to add a little extra love to your gifts.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Holiday decorating can be so elegant when done with simple gestures that speak about what you love. Like a bowl of crunchy red apples waiting to be eaten or made into a pie. Lots of pie cones gathered from walks and sprinkled around the house. A few sprigs of berries or a small bunch of roses on the table. Whatever you love and whatever helps you settle into what the holidays mean for you. Of course some yummy smells from the kitchen are always good too!

I really hope you liked this collection and I will be back soon with one more holiday series, until then, all my best to you. – Leslie.

(images: leslie shewing)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers, inspiration on December 14, 2009

1. Nina commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:23am

I love these color combo! I love the bottles. Where did you get them? Are they vintage soda pop bottles?
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..The Julie & Julia in me.. =-.

2. Samantha Lamb commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:26am

This will help soooo much for my part this sunday:) !! lovely love lovely:)

3. Beth perry commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:27am

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS EYE CANDY! love the packaging and the little touches throughout all the projects! thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..SAMURAI WARRIOR =-.

4. Susan Mulder commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:28am

Love all of it!!!

5. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:36am

I get so incredibly excited every time one of Leslie’s “color me pretty” posts is up….and she surprises me and delights me every time! I agree, that the simple things can be really magical at this time…you have done a beautiful job Leslie….and those little canvas hearts, did you make those? I love them so much….when are you going to open up a shop? I want answers! :) The beautiful white jug with the branches & pinecones….the little felt coaster on the package…the berry branches in the bottles and the plate of cookies….all so gorgeous and so beautifully styled. You are something my dear…..wow.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by Miss Capricho =-.

6. Mrs. M commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:37am

just gorgeous!!! I love this simple color combo. x
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..pretty papers, pretty ribbons of blue =-.

7. Jeanee commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:38am

Love it! I’m about to wrap some ornaments up like that for an ornament swap. This issue of Color Me Pretty has given me more ideas to spruce it up!

THANKS!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..ready for some sewin’ =-.

8. Christine commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:47am

You are such a talented photographer and stylist Leslie. The way you’ve kept the color scheme really simple by limiting it to red and white feel really refreshing~wonderful!

p.s. where did you find those ribbons?
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Art Dolls Shop Update: Part Two! =-.

9. Caitlin commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:53am

Oh my goodness, I think that this is my favourite Color Me Pretty yet!!
    I absolutely love the neutrals with the red- to me, that just says Christmas. These photos are all so cozy and festive! I love red lately, and this is exactly how I would love to decorate for the holidays! And thanks for all the great wrapping ideas- so simple yet they look amazing!!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Holiday Cheer =-.

10. Nicole commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:18pm

I love the red-and-white combination… reminds me of Christmas at my Swedish grandmother’s house. And just overall looks so pretty!
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..13-Year-Old Authors- Help their Bestseller Campaign! =-.

11. Home Decoration Ideas commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:22pm

just gorgeous!!! I love this simple color combo.

12. Melibu commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:29pm

I really like these colors. I was in search of inspiration for red and white decoration.
    Thanks !
    .-= Melibu´s last blog ..DIY Felt plushes / Peluche en feutrine =-.

13. Sabbio commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:39pm

Wonderful collection, lovely for my eyes! :)
    .-= Sabbio´s last blog ..Marque-pages et médaille en chocolat =-.

14. Nuit commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:40pm

This is gorgeous, I truly loved this post, so much wonderful holiday inspiration! x
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Advent Calendars, totally cute! =-.

15. Jessica commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Leslie, I am in love with those darling little pine cones hanging from the branches. Swoon! You’re rocksome! (A combo of “you rock” and “you’re awesome.”)
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Philip Newton =-.

16. Catalina commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Love this series. By far my favourite. Great job Leslie

17. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:55pm

Wow! i love that ribbon that has written “to someone special” simply gorgeous!!!
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Delightful Cologne’s Christmas Markets! =-.

18. cara commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:56pm

Beautiful! Seriously, I love “waking up” on Mondays to Leslie’s posts!
    .-= cara´s last blog ..Happy Monday! =-.

19. Kat commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:56pm

Eye-candy very much appreciated!

20. Sarah commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:03pm

What beautiful images. Not normally a fan of red and white, except candy canes, but I loved this post.

21. juliette commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:22pm

LUSH – you are awesome! Thanks so much for this – esp the giftwrapping. I love it!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..2 wreaths and a dose of perspective =-.

22. Meagan commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:23pm

Beautiful! I love this color combination. So simple, homey, and elegant at the same time.

I too would love to know a source for those ribbons–they are gorgeous!

23. Kara commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:27pm

Absolutely dreamy! I love the simplicity of it all with a vintage vibe. Kraft paper is my favorite wrapping paper : )

24. Shanon commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:46pm

I love these Leslie! I so adore when you do a tight color palette. The humble earthiness and simplicity of this style of holiday decorating is stunning and quietly reflective. You’re the best. xoxo
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Cozy Sunday =-.

25. Daniella commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:01pm

Sooo beautiful! I’m wrapping my gifts like this too! Kraft paper with red & white twine… love the idea of little spriggs of something or a pincone… might add that!

26. Amie commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:09pm

Beautiful combination, as always. I always look forward to your posts Leslie! I really love the red coaster.

27. laura trevey commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:15pm

Holiday decorating is so fun! Beautiful inspiration boards… love the red berries throughout!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Beach Chairs, Watercolor Print, 8 by 10 =-.

28. leslie commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:18pm

You guys are the best! Thank you!!!
    The ribbons are from:
    I couldn’t resist while visiting their fabulous little shop in London. The vintage soda pop bottles are from the Rose Bowl Flea Market -very inexpensive and there were lots of them at the time.
    Thanks again for being such supportive readers -you inspire me.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty Time =-.

29. Sarah commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:24pm

Gorgeous! love the color combos and the natural elements…can you come to my house and wrap my prezzies??!!

30. Laura Gaskill commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:28pm

So many special little details here – I love how you used foreign language newspaper as gift wrap, those soda bottles with the red berries, so many gorgeous ribbons, yum yum yum!
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Wish List #1: Carol =-.

31. byPetra commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:28pm

My gosh… I love these all, and they inspire me for my christmas presents. Thank you Leslie! and Holly for sharing :-)

xx

Petra
    .-= byPetra´s last blog ..Christmas card =-.

32. michele commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:53pm

red & white is my favorite combo!! love this! beautiful work, leslie!!
    .-= michele´s last blog ..almost a no-go, but not all the way. =-.

33. lindsay commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:54pm

We think alike! This was the same palette we used for packaging our gifts this year as well. And we didn’t have to buy a single thing. The kids had so much fun deciding what to pull from the pile of goodies to wrap up Grandma’s gifts. I put the gift tags I designed up on my blog, free to download, to anyone who wants to use them…

This was such a pretty festive post!

34. Minnie commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:09pm

How wonderfully luscious! I love all these little touches. What a treat to see these today. You have a way of making even the ordinary (red/white color combo) seem so special and inviting. There will be less presents under our tree this year due to the bad economy but you’ve given me some wonderful ideas for ways to make the few that are there seem extra special. And because there are less presents, I certainly have more time to spend wrapping my gifts.
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Dreaming of a (vintage) pink Christmas =-.

35. Nadine commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:13pm

Dear Leslie,
    your photos are so beautiful. I love every little detail but especially those hanging cones.

Thank you Holly for sharing.

Nadine
    .-= Nadine´s last blog ..Dritter Advent =-.

36. Karen commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:19pm

Love the ribbons – so sweet!!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Tuesday Tea Party – Pool Party!!! =-.

37. Muffin commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:27pm

I am in love with these ribbons!!!! Where did you get them! Amazing photos! As talented as ever!
    .-= Muffin´s last blog ..Giveaway =-.

38. kamila commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:37pm

Gorgeous and so inspiring!

39. Julie Cove commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:42pm

I spy a Scandinavian flavour in the air! Les, this is so fresh & simplistic yet absolutely lovely and festive that it makes me yearn for way less holiday rubber maid tubs in my storage space! Thanx for the inspiration to edit some things when I pack up the holiday fixings for next year:)
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Hostess with the Mostess Gifts =-.

40. Suzanne commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:43pm

Love these ideas and the collages are fabulous. A true designer will always find a new project within a current one! I’m packaging my gifts in a similar manner and it is so much more fun.

Happy holidays to you.

Ciao,
    Suzanne
    .-= Suzanne´s last blog ..It’s coming on Christmas… =-.

41. Katie Stephenson commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 4:05pm

Gosh, you are so talented, Leslie–from your art, to your styling and photographs and simply your taste. Bravo and high-fives! I’ll be joining for the class in the new year and can’t wait!
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..sweater mittens, check! =-.

42. vicki (simply hue) commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 4:07pm

Wow, Leslie……this is a gorgeous post! It really has a nostalgic, vintage feeling and makes me all warm inside. lol. You are one talented lady! xo

43. City Chic - Jamie commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 4:15pm

Oh wow! I love the inspiration for wrapping presents, comes at the perfect time (I still need to wrap mine!). Thanks for the eye candy!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Holiday Cards with Buttons, Tape, and Twine =-.

44. crt commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 4:35pm

I LOVE all of this… no one stands a chance of not being in the mood to wrap, decorate or bake to their heart’s content after viewing this!!! All so simple, yet so very elegant. And the warmth of the holiday oozes out of each picture. thank you!!!

45. Kristin commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 4:59pm

so great. you can also get the baker’s twine in the sundance catalogue, but it is probably more expensive?
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Here’s a Better photo of my Dilemma =-.

46. B commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 7:22pm

There’s something about the craft paper brown that really works for me. It’s traditional but…more.

And I love, love, love that white pitcher with the branches and pinecones.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Thank You Gathering Spriggs =-.

47. sungting commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 7:40pm

These are so so pretty!!!
    Love the white and red combo, and really love the details in the photos =]
    Especially the ribbons!!!! those with the words “to someone special”
    Where can I get those ribbons?
    .-= sungting´s last blog ..COLOR PLAY: LIGHT BLUES =-.

48. Alison Gibbs commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 8:13pm

Leslie what a great look. Isn’t it amazing what you can do with the things you already have around the home. Colour combination is fabulous
    Alison
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..OH CHRISTMAS TREE..OH CHRISTMAS TREE & WE HAVE A WINNER =-.

49. ruth commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 8:26pm

Leslie you’ve done it again! :) this is such eye candy.

Where did you get the ribbons from? they’re to die for!

50. youngmi commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 8:37pm

so much inspiration! i love it all :) especially that first photo <3
    .-= youngmi´s last blog ..i dream of pretty baker’s twine =-.

51. alli michelle commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 9:28pm

Amazing! Love, love this inspiration.
    .-= alli michelle´s last blog ..snow-white rooms =-.

52. Carly commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:21pm

Simply beautiful!! Stunning inspiration! Thank you.
    .-= Carly´s last blog ..A Jacksonbelle Blog Hop! =-.

53. blue bicicletta commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 12:05am

ooh, gorgeous! I LOVE this color palette–I love kraft paper, and neutral white, combined with the voluptuous red. I have taken to stamping lately–got a set of alphabet stamps and some kraft brown wrapping paper, and it’s so fun to stamp messages on the tops of packages or make some impromptu wrapping paper with the letters of the person’s name. Gorgeous ideas and pictures!
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..Life as an Artist: update 5 =-.

54. erika at delphine commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 12:32am

Everything is just lovely, as usual, Leslie. I heart the stack of gorgeous ribbons. Who wouldn’t feel special getting a gift wrapped like any of these??

I once caused a minor traffic jam at the post office because I stopped my car to hop out and “save” some pine cones in the driveway from being crushed. I took them home, painted glue on the tips, and then dusted them with clear glitter. It was simple fun — which sometimes gets lost this time of year as I tend to focus on my giant to-do list(s) instead of enjoying the holiday season.
    .-= erika at delphine´s last blog ..gift guide: for the designerd =-.

55. Shell commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 1:16am

Leslie, this is wonderful. The red with the brown sparkle for me.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..A bit of holiday bashing =-.

56. Vicki Moore commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 1:43am

Gorgeous Leslie… love each beautiful photograph! I can’t get enough of the vintage style ribbons and twine you use. This is the inspiration I needed to get into the holiday spirit. Thank you!

57. Mausumi commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 3:18am

I love the colors you have put together here! Most of all, I love that the red isn’t bright red, but a little darker hue.

Personally though, I’m no fan of red for christmas, I’m using purple and pink! :)
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..The Advent Calendar; December 12th =-.

58. Lana commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 8:00am

Absolutely stunning again! Such great inspiration! Love the red felt doily
    .-= Lana´s last blog ..Russia day 2… =-.

59. Piper commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 10:06am

We must be on the same wave-length….i’m using red, silver and white as my “theme” this year for christmas. now, thanks to your fabulous pix, i have lots more ideas for those colors!! I love the idea of using buttons….so many things you can do with those.
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{hand knit accessories} =-.

60. Penny Patten commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 11:38am

The “Pretty” is in the simplicity. Thanks for sharing, very pretty.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Inspiration is all around us! =-.

61. Travelingmama commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 11:45am

Sigh… it’s all so pretty. I look forward to seeing what you have for us each week!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..{reality} sets in =-.

62. irene commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 3:23pm

i just love these ideas!
    .-= irene´s last blog ..sandra’s letter =-.

63. Alice at Simply The Nest commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 3:56pm

Yowser. I think I just decided to wrap all my presents this year in brown paper, newspaper, twine, and doilies. Yep, I’m definitely going for it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Alice at Simply The Nest´s last blog ..Recipe For Chinese (Peking) Crispy Duck, Pancakes And Plum Sauce =-.

64. Diane commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 5:23pm

I love this post! So inspiring and I love the wrapping ideas. Thank you so much for sharing!

65. stephanie commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 10:36am

beautifully wrapped and beautifully photographed. wow.
    .-= stephanie´s last blog ..Sushi Magic =-.

66. Amanda commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 2:39pm

Beautiful pics – I feel inspired, am off to buy some bits and then get wrapping!!!

67. CommeUnPiou commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 5:45pm

Hi,
    Thank you for this “color me pretty” everything is very inspirating and not very difficult to do !

;)

68. vira commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 9:05am

hello
    i looovee your blog
    so inspirating
    as a student of interior design and as a girl ;)
    thx

69. Kate commented
    December 13th, 2010 at 9:55pm

I love going back to find posts that caught my eye a year ago and realizing that they are just as, or even more, fresh and inspiring than I remembered. This is certainly the case here, and I just had to comment this time! The red and white are simply stunning, as is the combination of vintage and natural materials. I’m bookmarking this page to pull up next year, around the same time that we unpack the ornaments.
    Kate´s last blog post ..Re-create the Look- Serena and Lily Nursery