Color Me Pretty

Hello it’s Leslie again with one last holiday series for you to share. This time around I wanted to work with white, varying shades of turquoise and a touch of silver. I find this simple holiday palette very calm, soothing and easy to do because I already use these colors in my home decor. It is nice to incorporate a holiday theme into the colors you already use, creating a much simpler approach to holiday decorating.

Color Me Pretty

I couldn’t help but use a little Martha Stewart glitter this year on some of my gift tags! I made black and white copies of some post cards and then painted glue on with a brush and glittered away in small sections. I let each section dry before applying the next. It made it quite quick by working on a few tags at a time. I cut out the tags using a plain tag as a tracing outline.

Color Me Pretty

Scanning in some of my turquoise fabrics to create patterned paper for wrapping was simple and fun. As well, instead of buying white wrapping paper I used the back (white) side of some colored wrapping paper for my gifts and I found some left over graph paper that worked well with the palette.

Color Me Pretty

I want to thank you for being such warm and welcoming readers. I started out here very, very nervous six months ago and you really have helped keep me inspired. I am truly grateful, thank you. I will be taking a short break from this column in the new year to help Holly teach her Blogging Your Way e-class. I will be back in March though, to resume Color Me Pretty on a once a month schedule.

Color Me Pretty

Until March, Happy Holidays and all my very best to you in 2010. – xo, Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on December 21, 2009

1. michele commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 6:39am

Hi Leslie,

Im still up doing work on my html code, it got all messed up – now its fixed – and Im getting that thing where Im too excited for Christmas – cookie baking etc – kids are coming home :D so thats why Im up like an idiot at this hour. Well…I LOVE your images – love that color. Turquoise is the color of the year 2010 according to Pantone and I love that color. Love your tags your hearts the flowers so nice

happy christmas
    from Michele :)
    .-= michele´s last blog ..Hello Winter 2009 =-.

2. Tove commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 6:45am

What can I say,lots´of good ideas as usual.Following your blog and it´s a blessing!!!!!! Keep up the good work:)
    .-= Tove´s last blog ..Nettopp stått opp men……. =-.

3. belinda commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 7:14am

so, so beautiful. am really looking forward to seeing what you (and holly) have in store for us during the blogging course. see you then! x
    .-= belinda´s last blog ..studio inspiration =-.

4. laura trevey commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 7:27am

Hi Leslie ~~

These are gorgeous… Turquoise is the number one color of 2010 too ~~
    Good luck with the blogging class, sounds like fun!!

Happy Holidays !
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab, Watercolor Print , 8 by 10 =-.

5. melissa deakin commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 7:56am

Hi Leslie!
    Merry Christmas!
    Each time I see a new Color Me Pretty, I think it is my favorite and then you go and create another beautiful palette and it becomes my new favorite. This is so gorgoeus. I just love how you made the b&w cards with the glitter…gorgeous!
    Best wishes to you in 2010 and thank you for the continued inspiration!
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Thursday’s thought… =-.

6. Kathi @ allthingswhite commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 8:26am

This is just beautiful !!! I look forward to your post each week and am so inspired by them- thank you so much. A wonderful holiday to all- Kathi
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Primitive Vintage Ironstone Platter =-.

7. Elaine commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 9:12am

Your color combinations are STUNNING! I LOVE how your postcards turned out and that ribbon is fantastic! Where did you get the ribbon?

8. Piper commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 9:13am

great and cool ideas – i’m doing a red & silver theme this year so the silver will fit perfectly for me!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{spice it up} =-.

9. Brigitte commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 9:16am

I am filing this post away for inspiration for next year! I’m having a Mexican themed New Year’s party to help everyone forget that it’s already below freezing in Chicago, so I’m keeping the holiday decorations simple this year. But this really appeals to me.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..iCovet: Remnants =-.

10. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 9:57am

Oh my…..the tags you created are just so incredibly inspired and beautiful Leslie. It looks like you used two different shades of blue glitter, is that right? Just gorgeous! And the fabric, and the spools of velvet and tinseled ribbon….the beautiful ceramics and the lovely vase at the end…..You are incredible and I will miss your column so much until March. What a pleasure and I look forward to each and every one! Thank YOU so much hun and have a wonderful, wonderful holiday! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by Art & Ghosts =-.

11. alexandra keller commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 10:10am

i’ve been following your Color Me Pretty series and although I don’t always comment, it’s wonderful! I’ve signed up for the class with you and Holly – can’t wait!
    .-= alexandra keller´s last blog ..cosa verde =-.

12. Karena commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 10:21am

I love the color combination. It is a very festive look!! Leslie thank you for sharing! My holiday greeting is up on my site now!
    .-= Karena´s last blog ..Season of Love & Joy =-.

13. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 10:37am

Hi Leslie! simply lovely blues!! :) Merry Christmas!!
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..From Autumn to Winter, Let It Snow! Let It Snow! =-.

14. Erin commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 10:48am

Absolutely breathtaking! My day is off to a great start after seeing these images!
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Suzanne Kasler =-.

15. Melissa Allam commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:00am

Gorgeous, gorgeous palette. Maybe because it makes me think of the colors for Hanukkah. I love turquoise and these aqua blue colors also, they are my favorite. What a great idea to use the other side of wrapping to get white paper. I still have gifts to wrap and had a couple ideas, but you’ve added even more beautiful ones here. Thanks Leslie for your wonderful work and for sharing it all with us.
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..Holiday List Making =-.

16. Diana Mulder commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:06am

I love your idea of scanning the turquoise fabric. I could see using it for other projects. Very creative.
    .-= Diana Mulder´s last blog ..Sunny Portrait 2 =-.

17. Mrs. M commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:09am

so gorgeous! and so smart to incorporate colors already in your decor.

Happy Holidays & can’t wait for Blogging Your Way!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..greening the holidays =-.

18. Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:21am

Love all of your images (hoping to learn some of your amazing technique in the class starting in January!) You have such great composition and light!
    .-= Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life´s last blog ..Nod to: Stylist Katie Sellers =-.

19. kamila commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:29am

Beautiful!! I love all the small details and simple touches.

20. Kristin commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:45am

See you in MARCH!? I have to wait for your amazing inspiring photos until then? *sigh* Bummer! ;-) Seriously though, you never disappoint. I love these blues you’ve shared today.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Design Resolutions 2010 with KatieDid =-.

21. Jillian commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 12:08pm

Leslie, thank you so much for this series! It’s been one of my favorite things in the blog world this year, and I look forward to whatever you have in store for 2010.
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Last Shop Update Before Christmas =-.

22. nina commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 12:35pm

I love this post! And I’m the type of person who never liked blue ever!
    .-= nina´s last blog ..Goodbye pretty girl… =-.

23. Vanessa Johanning commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 12:47pm

I love your style! Have a great holiday!
    The turquoise make me think of spring also! Its just such a happy color!!!
    ~Smiles!

Vanessa

24. Stacy commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 12:59pm

What a beautiful start to a Monday! I always look forward to your color posts, and turquoise has always been my favorite color. Fantastic styling as usual.

Happy holidays and a happy new year!

25. SleepUnderStars commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 1:05pm

Beautiful! Nothing puts me in the wintery cozy mood like turquoise…a very refreshing holiday color. And those ribbons look divine!

26. Beth perry commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 1:11pm

another beautiful job! I love those fabrics!! yum yum! they are so pretty and soft! thanks for the wonderful inspiration!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..….inspired me this week… =-.

27. vicki commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 1:44pm

This is unbelievable, Leslie! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Have a wonderful Christmas. You will be missed. xo

28. fresh365 commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 2:01pm

Oh Leslie, you have inspired ME! YOu always do such an amazing job. Have a great holiday!

29. Jessica commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 2:07pm

Love the postcards with glitter Leslie! Gorgeous! Best of luck with BYW!!!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Blue Door =-.

30. mina commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 2:33pm

Very nice Leslie!
    .-= mina´s last blog ..Skyflier Summer Fun – 8 x 8 modern-vintage print – ready to ship =-.

31. Passementerie commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 3:08pm

What a beautiful set of pictures – you have really lovely taste! I must ask you though – the teacup in the first picture – where did you get it? I LOVE it.
    .-= Passementerie´s last blog ..Plans of gluttony =-.

32. Lisa commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 3:17pm

What a gorgeous colour scheme to end 2009 with. A beautiful winter delight. This is really going to inspire my creating in the New Year. Merry Christmas!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Where has December gone? =-.

33. Katherine aka. Urban Flea commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 3:20pm

so gorgeous! it definitely gives me some last minute inspiration for gift wrapping. thanks for sharing!

xo katherine aka. urban flea :)
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..cozy glam =-.

34. Brenda Kula commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 3:23pm

Love the branches with the ornaments! Looks so “back to nature.”
    Brenda
    .-= Brenda Kula´s last blog ..Holiday Centerpiece Ideas =-.

35. Kristen commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 3:38pm

All the pictures match my tree! SO much inspriation for my own home! Thanks so much!

36. Bea commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:14pm

So beautiful! I love the way you compose your wonderful photos! You have so many great ideas! Thank you, Leslie, for sharing them with us!
    .-= Bea´s last blog ..Immer wieder Pink/Pink Once Again =-.

37. Travelingmama commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:25pm

Has it really been so long since you started? I guess time flies when you are having fun! Leslie, truly, this has been such a treat! Thank you for all the beauty and inspiration! {{hugs}}
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..21 to {25} =-.

38. LaMarquise commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:50pm

What a beautiful post. This is my favorite color and your post is such an inspiration. The velvet ribbon reminds me of my childhood somehow. I need to use this in my little ones nursery. In Greece, some call this color Alcohol Blue :)
    .-= LaMarquise´s last blog ..Eco Toddler Mess Vacuum =-.

39. Shell commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 5:16pm

I am dazzled by the turquoise and white. I adore the heart tags.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Winter Solstice =-.

40. Mindezigns commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 5:34pm

I love these ideas, you are a huge inspiration to what I love doing the most. I can’t wait to see what’s next.
    .-= Mindezigns´s last blog ..Round up of Christmas Vectors =-.

41. barbara commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 6:13pm

I am crazy about the way you used the turquoise and white. I love to alternate my color themes from year to year, and this year I used turquoise and white, along with my ever present silver and gold together. I did get some new ideas from you. Thanks ever so much.
    .-= barbara´s last blog ..Solstice Greetings =-.

42. In Honor Of Design commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 6:21pm

Absolutely beautiful pictures and products. I am smitten. Thanks for the lovely post!

Anna
    .-= In Honor Of Design´s last blog ..Inspiration Countdown: Charity Water =-.

43. Amy - No.15 commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 8:09pm

I love the color combination, so pretty and serene. The glitter bird tags are gorgeous!
    .-= Amy – No.15´s last blog ..The Ultimate Wish List =-.

44. Caitlin commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 10:17pm

Gorgeous! I truly love the tag with the bird that you added glitter too! Such an awesome idea, and they look so good. All of the photos are wonderful, so fresh and wintery! Happy holidays to you! :)
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Wish list =-.

45. Elie's Papel commented
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:09pm

I love the blue tones and whites… has a very ethereal look and feel, very White Christmas like

Have a great Holiday Season and look forward to see you next year!!!
    .-= Elie’s Papel´s last blog ..Cold Flora =-.

46. Chacoy commented
    December 22nd, 2009 at 2:29am

Gorgeous! It is so simple yet elegant and beautiful.
    Have a Happy Holiday and Happy New Year!
    Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful posts;}
    .-= Chacoy´s last blog ..I’m Late, I’m Late… =-.

47. Tatiana Maia commented
    December 22nd, 2009 at 12:21pm

Oh, blue is my fav color! Everything seems peaceful and calm with blue and white combination.

And very cool to know about Holy’s e-course! Thanks for sharing! I’m going to check its website. :D
    .-= Tatiana Maia´s last blog ..You Are In My Domain… =-.

48. flowing moments commented
    December 22nd, 2009 at 12:28pm

my favorate colours … this is so gorgeous, thank you !
    .-= flowing moments´s last blog ..let it rest =-.

49. Christine commented
    December 22nd, 2009 at 4:19pm

Thanks for the ‘how-to’ gift tags. I love the multi-coloured glittery birds.

50. Stephanie Ryan commented
    December 23rd, 2009 at 9:14am

Beautiful!!!!!! As usual : )
    .-= Stephanie Ryan´s last blog ..Small Sweet Steps: Play and Surrender =-.

51. phyllis commented
    December 27th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Waaait! Christmas come back! I have to do these things…so pretty, :) thank you!
    .-= phyllis´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

52. LeahS commented
    December 28th, 2009 at 2:28pm

So pretty – I love turquoise, especially for Christmas!

What kind of branches did you use to hang your ornaments? I would love to use something similar for hanging my jewelry – wouldn’t it look lovely to drape a few necklaces and earrings from the branches? Whatever it is, it’s probably not local to California….anyone have any ideas how I could get some of these branches?

ls

53. leslie commented
    December 28th, 2009 at 6:26pm

Hi -LeahS
    The branches are Manzanita branches and should be easy to find in California (as it grows in CA). I found them at the LA flower market and the bunch was a few dollars. I agree they would look great with necklaces hanging from them!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Vignettes of Color =-.

54. ali z commented
    January 4th, 2010 at 4:04pm

WOW this blew me away. makes me want to have X-mas all over again!

55. LeahS commented
    January 10th, 2010 at 2:59pm

Thanks Leslie! I’ll see if I can find them in NoCal!

@ali z: I totally agree – I’m ready for Christmas again! :)

56. Audrey Pettit commented
    January 31st, 2010 at 9:43am

Hi Leslie! I just found you and I am totally inspired. How you have warmed my heart with your gorgeous photos. I am a fan! Got you bookmarked now. ;)
    .-= Audrey Pettit´s last blog ..It Worked! =-.

57. Nur commented
    January 11th, 2011 at 10:15am

Just found your gorgeous website… It’s full of inspirations and insight. Well done!!!

58. Regina commented
    March 26th, 2012 at 2:13am

I accidentally ran upon your site while I was browsing on pinterest. I am absolutely blown away by your beautiful “Color Me Pretty” pages. I am going to put you at the top of my favorites list. Thanks for making the world a lovelier place:)

59. Nika commented
    August 12th, 2012 at 12:32am

Can you please give me an heads up on where you found the wrapping paper!? PLEASE!!