Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Oh my God (or shall I say ZOMGZ!) I totally cheated on this week’s Etsy Take Five Tuesday because 3 out of my 5 finds I spotted on the Etsy home page today. I know, I know, my head is low in shame. But I couldn’t resist, a few that I clicked on just blew me away and I thought, “Hey, I’m DOING this!” so here are my five finds for the week. Ready, ya’ll?

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Gorgeous, colorful fine art photography by Mina Georgescu of depuis. I just love her in-situ shots, seeing them living in a space totally helps doesn’t it?

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Cottage Farm in San Francisco has some lovely vintage finds in her shop, her French countryside sensibility makes me want to pack a cute little fiat and head out to a stone cottage ASAP. If only I had a stone cottage and it was about 900 degrees warmer!

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

I adore my leather bags but in the summer months I like to mix in fabric totes as I find them lightweight and easy to care for. These handbag goodies are designed by Creek Bed Threads in Pennsylvania. Her most recent designs and product shots are just great!

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Sweet Beaker in Georgia has some sweet and simple handmade papers, and I even spot a little chevron action there, too!

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

And Plytextiles. Ah. Be still my beating heart, this is the good stuff. Handmade modern textiles for the home created from 100% recycled wool sweaters, made into felt, in Chicago. I’ll take… ten!

(images: linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on February 16, 2010

1. Tricia McKellar commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Love Mina’s shots of her work in-situ. I really must work on those shots of my photography. And the sweater pillows are wonderful– they so go with the chevron vibe. Very cool! :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..After the Rain, 12×12 Fine Art Photograph by Tricia McKellar =-.

2. michelle commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:11pm

WOW, Plytextiles, what a find! I love the three dimensional texture of the designs and of course love that everything is made of up-cycled materials.
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..God Bless Fake Holidays =-.

3. My Owl Barn commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:15pm

WOW! Great picks, again. My instant favorite are those pillows by Plytextiles.
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..{Nice Work} =-.

4. amuandpri commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:18pm

beautiful pillows

5. Laurie commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:19pm

LOVE those pillows. I use recycled sweaters too, but I don’t think I have the patience to make them that precise. Jealous. :)

6. Lorena commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:22pm

Oooooh!
    I love this post!! beautiful designs, everything is so bright and neat, lovely items!
    I have new favorite shops :)
    .-= Lorena´s last blog ..199 Carat Series – Faceted Pear Pendant =-.

7. laura trevey commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:34pm

Wonderful picks!! Cool geometric designs on the pillows!!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Reading is Sexy =-.

8. Heather commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:38pm

Wow, you’re right, seeing those beautiful photos displayed really makes them stand out. So dreamy!

Those pretty handbags really make me lust for the springtime. And those pillows, my god, those pillows. Is it wrong to want to buy a new couch just to accommodate a few of Plytextiles’ amazing pillows?
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Doreen, Woodland Knitter – 8×10 Print =-.

9. Morgan Bradshaw commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:40pm

gorgeous! i love etsy you can find the coolest stuff on there!
    .-= Morgan Bradshaw´s last blog ..DEO Warehouse =-.

10. Chantelle {fat mum slim} commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:45pm

Oh such lovely finds.

And there shall be no head hanging! ;)
    .-= Chantelle {fat mum slim}´s last blog ..Everyday Everybody: Jane. =-.

11. Sarah commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:46pm

OMG! I was on Etsy’s home page today too and totally feel in love depuis’ photos too. It totally fits in with circus post you made a week or so ago.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Scrapbooker’s Paradise =-.

12. jacaranda Designs commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:58pm

Gosh, so many gorgeous items. I especially like the paper from Sweet Beaker.
    Lovely finds!
    .-= jacaranda Designs´s last blog ..Sweet and Simple Earrings =-.

13. fresh365 commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 2:58pm

Great finds! Those pillows are amazing. Just might be what I’m looking for when I redecorate my living room next month… thanks!

14. Linz commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 3:08pm

it isn’t cheating if you really love it! and i add to that love! the cottage vintage pieces are mine! all mine!

15. Sarah Sarniak commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 3:18pm

The sweater pillows look so warm and comfy!!
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Major Budget Decorating =-.

16. City Chic - Jamie commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Those pillows look so cozy! Love the shapes and textures used in them. Fabulous finds again! Thanks Holly!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Jamaica =-.

17. CreativeButterflyXOX commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 4:18pm

Oh wow, all so beautiful, I don’t know which one I like best. God I LOVE Etsy, it’s amazing, so many talent people.
    .-= CreativeButterflyXOX´s last blog ..Vintage Upcycled Navy Blue Hand Bag With Hand Painted White Hummingbird/Humming Bird Design =-.

18. jenn commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 4:50pm

I totally look forward to your tuesday etsy posts — you find their BEST items! I especially love those bottom pillows.

19. christina commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 5:34pm

Beautiful stuff! Those pillows are amazing!

20. Raru commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 5:40pm

Wow… I love Mina Georgescu photos. Thank you!!!!
    .-= Raru´s last blog ..Actor’s apartment ? ??????????? ?? ??????? =-.

21. Mausumi commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 6:19pm

I love the paper from Sweet Beaker. Everything paper = love for me.

I love buying beautiful paper goods, like sheets and wrapping paper and frame them in ikea frames. Cavallini have some really nice wrapping papers! :)
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..Talula s/s 2010 =-.

22. Laura commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Nice picks (even if you might have been spurred on by the home page ;-)Those pillows are wonderful!!

23. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 6:34pm

Oh, fantastic! These are all so great hun, thank you!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by a painting =-.

24. pilgrim commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 6:40pm

holly, you cute cutie, your posts today are so funny! so playful and zesty. makes me want fresh snow and blue skies! :D
    .-= pilgrim´s last blog ..mixtape: the teen bedroom top five =-.

25. moderneve commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 7:38pm

holly, i have to say that after being in your class and hearing your voice, i am enjoying your posts that MUCH more! when i read i can actually hear you speaking…i love it!
    .-= moderneve´s last blog ..weekend recap + new look! =-.

26. Beach Vintage commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 9:48pm

How clever are those cushions…love them.
    .-= Beach Vintage´s last blog ..~ Dead Peoples Stuff on Sale ~ =-.

27. packageinstyle commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 11:21pm

Lovely Finds!
    .-= packageinstyle´s last blog ..beaded twine. orange =-.

28. Lori commented
    February 16th, 2010 at 11:38pm

Oh I love those pillows! I love the geometric shapes and the fact that they look so warm. :-)
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..St. Augustine, Florida Trip =-.

29. So Spiffy (Girl Japan) commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 3:06am

Really like the bag, I really need something that can haul all my crap. I like your finds, they are very colorful and vibrant.. My house is so Tres Chic Simple…. so much so, there is NO color.
    .-= So Spiffy (Girl Japan)´s last blog ..I totally dig Broccoli and Cauliflower! =-.

30. visualingual commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 7:43am

Wow! The Plytextiles pillows are to die for! I love them!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Flourishing: A New Line of Home Accessories by VisuaLingual =-.

31. mutuelle commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 9:07am

nice pics, a fabulous decoration!!!

32. Sweetwine & Snowflakes commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 9:13am

love Love LOVE these posts and look forward to them every week. Of course the photographs are simply darling, I have to add her to my favorites!! Thanks again..

33. SweetBeaker commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 9:28am

thanks for showing a little SweetBeaker, Holly! was totally caught off guard!

34. ThiliBlooms commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 9:31am

I love this findings! and the puppy on top of the books, so cute! have a wonderful day :)
    .-= ThiliBlooms´s last blog ..Teal and turquoise =-.

35. Andy Mathis commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 10:01am

Those recycled sweater pillows from Plytextiles are amazing. Really cool.

Great Finds- all of them.
    .-= Andy Mathis´s last blog ..Yay! SNOW DAY. . . No School! =-.

36. jacqueline commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 10:13am

I aodre that GRID TILES FELT PILLOW from Plytextiles! Gorgeous colors! I’ve been really busy with chinese new year celebration..so glad i finally found some time to knock on your gorgeous bubble space! Have a lovely sweet day and love to you! Keep warm!
    .-= jacqueline´s last blog ..Hearts and sweetness =-.

37. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 10:52am

Great finds! :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Sweet Cupcakes Liners! =-.

38. cottagefarm commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 11:43am

wow! thank you so much for having cottage farm here with all of these other beautiful etsy shops- cheers!

39. Sara commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 12:24pm

wonderful finds! Depuis is one of my favorites–and now I have some NEW favorites! :)

40. Erin commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 1:06pm

Thank you so much for featuring my shop! I was so pleased to stumble upon this blog through Analytics. Wonderful blog, it’s beautiful! Thank you again, you have made my day!
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Free Banner and Avi Set for Etsy =-.

41. Stacey commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 3:02pm

You always find such great items on Etsy! I love those pillows – they’re so trendy and cozy-looking!
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Ash Wednesday: The Start of Lent =-.

42. mina commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 5:01pm

Holly, thank you very much for the feature! I get your newsletter daily and was so pleasantly surprised to open its yesterday and find my photos there.

The pillows are adorable!
    .-= mina´s last blog ..Coney Island Carnivale – Fine Art Photography 8 x 8 – Ready to ship =-.

43. Lindy commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 6:40pm

Thanks so much for the feature! I really appreciate all the feedback on my pillows…it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Thanks again!

44. lux commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 7:08pm

hi holly.
    i love the take 5 tuesdays you always do. ALWAYS. but i have to admit, sometimes i think the way you go about picking them is unfair. having read your blog for a suuuuper long time, i see consistency in your style, which is great, i understand it. having a fine arts background and working as an artist, i understand & sympathize with the desire to present beautiful looking things.
    however, i feel like a lot of well made etsy products go overlooked by you because they’re not photographed in crisp, white environs or have cath kidston undertones. i know that i personally don’t live in a place gushing with sunlight (pacific northwesters will get it), and since i have to create to make my living, and don’t depend on a weekly paycheck, i cannot go out & make photographic investments while money is tight. a lot of my stuff is shot outside, or with makeshift odds & ends to try and brighten my goods up. lots of photoshop help. still, and this is certainly not about myself, it’s about all the other people in the world who are in similar positions, i feel like you only feature goods that will accentuate how your blog will look, very… magazine worthy, if you will. which is a good thing, but very elitist in some ways too.

i’m asking that you don’t always judge a book by it’s cover. or a cross stitch by it’s woodgrain hung wall, a necklace presented on a formica counter top. i know you have an aesthetic to uphold, but you encourage readers to be vocal, so i’m hoping you’ll look past what will make you look good all the time & look a little closer at the underdogs.

thanks for reading. i don’t want this to sound snotty by any means, just constructive, which can be difficult to decipher in some cases by way of the internet. i hope it conveys what i’m saying.

best wishes & i will still continue to love & read your work.

45. Stephanie commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 7:26pm

Love those chevron note cards…thanks for the intro!

46. decor8 commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 7:57pm

Dear Lux,

Thanks for your feedback, I’m happy to help! I believe that regardless of lighting, location or budget, anyone can take the time to create a home studio in which to shoot their products as professionally as possible. As a small business owner myself I know the importance of this when it comes to the photos that take of my own home and projects that I feature on my site. I am not the only blog author who appreciates a good product shot, most do so how about we skip to the real point here — your frustration with your photographs. I can help you out, no worries. :) I bet these links below will have you on the right track in no time.

These helpful resources are all from home-based studios, most are etsy sellers like yourself, and were created at little to no investment. I’ve included some image correction links too.

Etsy: Shop Makeover Series — Feature Friendly Photos
    Etsy: Shop Makeover Series — Are Your Photos Frontpage Worthy?
    Food Photography Setup: Part 1
    Food Photography Setup: Part 2
    Compact Camera Food Photography
    Tips on Food Photography (that can be applied to your products not just food).
    Etsy Seller Tip: Present Yourself to the Press
    How To Brighten Your Photos
    Staying Sharp: Achieving Clarity and Crispness in Your Photos
    Give Props: How to Style Your Photos
    Making It Lovely: Product Photography Part 1
    Making It Lovely: Product Photography Part 2

Hope these help!

47. natalie brown commented
    February 17th, 2010 at 11:58pm

love the geometrics this season–glad that they are back!
    i like how you show different patterns but have the “common” colors
    we used to think that we couldn’t put these items together but we can!
    isn’t change fun?! thanks for sharing your super ideas with us!

48. natalie brown commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 12:01am

what a nice variety—

49. ruxandra commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 3:07am

It is so nice to see a Romanian photographer featured on your amazing lovely blog:)Have a lovely day!

50. Diana commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:42am

Oh my goodness!! Those tile pillows are amazing. We’re currently sourcing tile for a bathroom renovation project and those patterns are embedded in my brain :-)
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Busy as a Bee =-.

51. sophia commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 6:59pm

ahh…thank you for plytextiles! what a great etsy find….favorites, check!

52. Gosia commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 9:58am

Those felted-sweaters pillows are just too beautiful for words.
    .-= Gosia´s last blog ..Picture a Day: Goodness Gracious Granola =-.

53. Ali Walsh/Dolan Geiman commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 9:03pm

Great selections today. I particularly love this collection of vintage oil cans available from cottage farm: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=39935642
    .-= Ali Walsh/Dolan Geiman´s last blog ..Blue Plate Special: Name Your Price Day =-.

54. meredith commented
    February 20th, 2010 at 11:49am

truly incredible pillows…love the recycled aspect of them as well!