Stylist Irina Graewe

Good morning! There are so many great things to share with you this week so let’s continue with more inspiration, shall we? I briefly mentioned German stylist Irina Graewe back in 2008 but I was reminded of her dazzling portfolio again yesterday while reading Sodapop. I think you will really flip over her so please join me for a peek because her endless talent is bound to inspire and pick up your mood today! She shares several themed collections on her site, so I encourage you to visit her to view them all. I’ve selected three of my favorite themes to share below.

Stylist Irina Graewe

The first is called Bonjour Tristesse. I love the inky blue and gray tones — so moody and sensual. Notice the big shoes next to the clothing rack. Are those not the best?

Stylist Irina Graewe

I also love the mood in her Patchwork collection of pinks and neutrals along with ethnic prints and patterns. I think my favorite is also the most simple arrangement of the four portraits tacked to the wall with a simple string of pom pom trim in an “L” shape placed very casually near them as a partial frame. These little adds are so interesting to me, I tend to pick these things out when I look at photos to try and figure out exactly how a mood was created and what about an image pulled me in. These images above are quite alluring don’t you think?

Stylist Irina Graewe

And lastly, her Culture Club ensemble is another favorite in and lots of pretty pink but mostly for the feathers all a-flutter and the huge rice paper lanterns, you can find these from IKEA in white and decorate them with black dots to create a similar look for a few dollars (they are so cheap, I have one in my living room and it was around 5,- Euros).

Irina got her start as a tailor for Jil Sander in Hamburg and then relocated briefly to London to attend the London College of Fashion. Upon graduating, she realized her true calling was not in fashion but interiors, so she relocated back to her home country to pursue a career in interior styling and set design and her work has appeared in top magazines throughout Germany so unless you read them you may not have heard of her before — which is why I felt even more inclined to share her on decor8! Her work shows her passion and eye for detail and a whimsical approach which is so appealing to me because interior styling becomes a bit dull when it looks too perfectly arranged in my opinion.

What do you think of these images that I’ve shown you from Irina’s portfolio? Does anything in particular about them, from the colors to arrangements and beyond, connect with you on a personal level? I’m surprised at how drawn I am to the first collection, Bonjour Tristesse. It’s not something I’d normally gravitate towards but something about it feels very cinematic – I can almost put a story to them — can’t you?

(images: irina graewe)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on February 24, 2010

1. Will commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 5:22am

I am in awe of her work, these photographs are stunning. Thank you for sharing them.

My favourite is the third collection; I like the ‘home is where the heart is’ teatowel and the petal drop is very wistful and evocative.

2. Jenny commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 5:26am

Gorgeous! I want it all!
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Where are you? =-.

3. Heather commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 5:35am

Yes, it’s very dramatic and yet, meloncholic and…cute, at the same time. I’m not usually one to use the word cute when referring to someone elses work – it seems almost rude, and yet, from her work, she does seem to have a childlike playfulness in the way that she presents colour. I love it.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..and now for some quiet time… =-.

4. Ana commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 6:20am

All the work shown is great. I do like a lot the blue and gray series – they remind me of winter days, that I love so much (Ok, you can kill me know!)
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Blogging Your Way e-course – Week 3 =-.

5. Karen (another one) commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 6:40am

Irina is one of my worldwide favourites!

6. Leeann commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 7:08am

Love, love the first collection – c’est parfait!

Leeann
    .-= Leeann´s last blog ..Love, love, love…. =-.

7. anna shoub commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 7:12am

I love those blue and grey inky tones. I think that can be so dramatic with one splash of vibrant colour.
    .-= anna shoub´s last blog ..Spring is Coming =-.

8. Die Frau im Haus commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 7:43am

I’ve been watching Irina’s Work for quite a while. I love her work!

In the March issue of “Schöner Wohnen” you can find more of her.

9. Flourish commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 7:44am

I don’t want to say that I have a favorite because they are all A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! But the pic with the chandelier is just fab. SO LOVE!!!
    .-= Flourish´s last blog ..{Nesting Newbies Magazine} =-.

10. The Design Notebook commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 8:05am

Absolute stunning images and brilliant work. Such a talented lady. The first collection is my favourite. I don’t know what it is with blue at at the moment but it’s really pulling me in.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    .-= The Design Notebook´s last blog ..Guest Blog: What does your decor style say about you? =-.

11. Nataschia commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 8:32am

I love the warmth of the patchwork collection… my favourite from that set is the different pillows with the matching slippers. all the same-yet all different.
    Love her work-thanks for sharing!

12. doreen commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 8:54am

Her work is artistically inspiring. She is a master of color and scale. The images are quite theatrical, more like a fantasy than real life. Very fun to see.

13. Natalie from MD commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 8:59am

Great blog for inspiration!

I feel connected to the last collection, Culture Club. Something about the whimsical, colorful, eclectic styling. And the dish towel “home is where the heart is” is something I am truly learning at this point in my life.

14. ishtar commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:06am

I loved the las pics.. the butterflies flying all over the room…just dreamy!
    .-= ishtar´s last blog ..Aloha! =-.

15. ishtar commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:07am

oh, they are petal..never mind! love them as well!
    .-= ishtar´s last blog ..Aloha! =-.

16. Daniela commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:21am

Thanks for sharing!!! Awesome pictures!!!

17. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:38am

Oh, how gorgeous….I am drawn to all of them as well. But, especially the first set & the pink feathers….I wouldn’t normally be drawn to the darker set either but, it is so enticing and lovely. Thank you so much for sharing these with us Holly!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a photograph =-.

18. Margrethe FL commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:57am

nice blog :) Just wish your pics could be bigger :)

19. jordan commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:59am

i think they are all gorgeous. comfortably sexy, feminine and laidback. i love it.

20. Brigitte commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 10:01am

Aesthetically, I’m drawn to Bonjour Tristesse. But I’d rather live in Patchwork. It feels warm, soft and inviting…like a favorite sweater.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Introducing: Sarah and Giles of Hostel Tevere =-.

21. Tove commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 10:26am

I Love them ALL! Perhaps the first one in greys most,but her style is very teathrical and playful,yet elegant and I love everything here actually!!!!!!What a wonderful stylist!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing:)
    .-= Tove´s last blog ..Var det nesten 80 mill idag? =-.

22. Sam commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:05am

I love the first set – so lovely with a touch of vintage.

xx,
    Samantha @PrettyLovely
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Michael =-.

23. sara commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:19am

I’m in love with the second collection – it’s so warm and inviting. I can’t wait to go look at Irina’s website. What gorgeous, amazing work!
    .-= sara´s last blog ..what’s going on =-.

24. thedoodlegirl commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:21am

I love how you describe the first set. Inky grey. Really interesting stuff!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Illustration Friday =-.

25. Nuit commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:38am

Oh my! this is too good Holly!!!

I LOVE the CulTure CLuB scenario :) it’s so my style and artsy, I truly heart it. What a great stylist!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Yes, there is more! =-.

26. Limon commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:46am

Hi!
    i’ve seen your blog since a lot time… and i like so much!!!
    and i would like that you publish more images and websites about the shabby chic style….

wel… it’s everything that i meant.

Have a nice day!!!!

kissessssssssssss
    .-= Limon´s last blog ..Sorry… =-.

27. Lisa commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:58am

I’m so drawn to the Bonjour Tristesse collection. I really respond to “non-colors” – I find them simultaneously calming and stimulating – odd, can’t explain it really. I get lost in images like these – the quality of the light is so beautiful it makes my heart ache.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Waxed Paper Bag Love =-.

28. Val commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 12:26pm

love the images with the chairs in the Bonjour Tristesse. Something about the light shining in with the blue overtones…reminds me of the movie Marie Antoinette (but a modern take on the decor)

29. Caroline commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 12:26pm

I love how they are grouped according to mood, style or theme. Going through her galleries really does invoke emotions. I think because they are so well curated as a series of images, that they enhance each other. A really lovely find!

Caroline

30. Winter commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 1:01pm

Love the from the knee down image- with all the color and the bunched up socks- maybe she’s are mixing muffins above the sight line-or laughing- it seems like a laughers socks- and that red couch- wowsa- can’t help but want butterflies dropping around me on my couch- or great big rice balls bouncing thorugh the bathroom while I bath.

31. decor8 commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 1:19pm

Lisa I know exactly what you mean. I dream of being ABLE to live in a home like this – with chalky, inky tones and white… I just am not sure I could exercise so much restraint though when I see it done I feel immediately drawn in. Funny how that is, right?

32. decor8 commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 1:26pm

Margrethe FL – My goal is to highlight talented people on this blog with the goal of promoting their work so that others visit their website to view more, often larger, photos. To show huge photos of their work here would not encourage readers to go visit them and this would bother me so that is why my images are not huge.

33. Paola commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 2:20pm

WOW! That’s inspiring! Felt like I was in a fairy tale…

34. my spatula commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 3:10pm

i could gawk at the bonjour tristesse all day long…..
    .-= my spatula´s last blog ..In the Kitchen With…Design*Sponge =-.

35. Béa commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 4:08pm

J’A-DOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!
    thanks for posting.
    .-= Béa´s last blog ..Bow =-.

36. Karla commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 4:32pm

The Bonjour Tristesse is my favorite too..I am usually drawn to dark woodsy colours, but have been wanting to experiment with lighter, brighter shades recently- the blues in that theme may be just what I have been looking for!!
    .-= Karla´s last blog ..Andy McKee Played at Our Wedding -yes really! =-.

37. Renee commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 5:13pm

Sooo love her work, glad to see it getting some press! Yay!
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..Pictures of Lily =-.

38. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 5:54pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Easter and Springtime Decorating Ideas =-.

39. Bobbi commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 7:29pm

I like what you said about the whimsical approach vs a more arranged look. I find it interesting that when I look at photos of more lived in rooms on your blog or other places, I’m really attracted to that look, but when I try to achieve that same look in my home it can tend to just look messy!
    .-= Bobbi´s last blog ..A murder of crows and some blue sky =-.

40. Gillian commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 9:38pm

This work is all so beautiful! Good eye for inspiration!

41. mightyblonde commented
    February 24th, 2010 at 10:42pm

Bonjour Tristesse is my current inspiration all over the home. I love this look, the blue/gray/silver tones make me want to rip apart my bedroom and start from scratch.
    Love it.

42. Fernando commented
    February 26th, 2010 at 8:45am

Great Post.
    I absolutely love Irina’s style.
    Its very versatile, but with a strong eye for detail and strong point of view.

43. Gosia Maj commented
    February 28th, 2010 at 9:15am

I’m in instant love for her work. I especially find the picture in the Culture Club collection drawing all my attention to itself. The rugged, peeling stucco of the wall, revealing those beautiful dusty pinks, greys, and lavenders beneath the worn-out whites with the beyond-comfy chair in the front. This is how I imagine my patio-outside space to look like. Very evocative. Oh, and those shutters!
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..Picture a Day: Small Seeded Breads =-.

44. Leigha commented
    July 12th, 2010 at 11:54am

Just discovered her amazing portfolio – so gorgeous. Have you seen her “Tea for Two” still life? It seemed so very decor8 that I clicked over to tell you of the talented Irina. Low-and-behold, you have already met and loved her work. Happy Monday!
    Leigha´s last blog post ..Colorful cravings

45. ApetitPois*design commented
    April 23rd, 2012 at 2:50pm

I love her work. She made me loving interior styling and looking at photography in another way. Thanks for sharing!
    If you are interested, more images about Irina’s work here http://apetitpoisdesign.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/narrative-interiors.html

xx