Arts + Crafts

Anna See

March 1, 2010

Good morning and happy monday and even more, happy March to you! My windows are open where I sit in my office/dining room and I can hear the birds singing as the sun shines in on my face… the skies are blue and I’m ready for spring! And how are you today? I was born on the first day of spring and so I have a special fondness for March… Though I must confess that while living in New Hampshire & Boston winter often skipped spring taking us straight into summer and I really, really missed those glorious months that I loved so much as a child growing up down south. That is why I’m excited that for the first time since I was a teenager that I can enjoy a proper spring! Which brings me to introduce you to Anna See, an illustrator living in California who created these lovely bird block prints that to me, welcome spring in!

Anna See

I enjoyed reading her refreshingly honest bio this morning and I’d like to share it with you because I think it may resonate with those of you who may feel a bit scattered when it comes to your interests or even your own portfolio. I appreciate how Anna has so openly expressed her viewpoint, “After often being admonished for being all over the place, Anna finally realized that it’s okay to challenge yourself and explore, and that versatility can be a strength.” Anna adds that,  “Style should not drive the picture; the picture should drive the style.”

Which explains why her portfolio is not unified by a particular style… interesting viewpoint, right? Do you ever feel like Anna? If so, I hope you can find peace in the fact that it’s okay to accept it and go forward with your passions, doing what you love.

You can purchase some of Anna’s affordable work here.

(images: anna see)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kii March 1, 2010 at 8:02 am

Lovely…simply lovely. Happy Monday and March to you too. :)
    .-= Kii´s last blog ..Illustrated Life =-.

• Reply ThiliBlooms March 1, 2010 at 8:43 am

so cute!
    I love bird prints!
    Hope you have a wonderful week :)
    .-= ThiliBlooms´s last blog ..Sparkling White Blooms For March =-.

• Reply Victoria Klein March 1, 2010 at 9:05 am

Happy Monday & happy March to you too! My day began with a great cup of tea, though I bet the view from your window is much more interesting than mine, haha.

Gorgeous art find! I’ve added Anna’s shop to my Etsy favorites :)
    .-= Victoria Klein´s last blog ..2010 Project 365 :: Day 059 =-.

• Reply Beth March 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Beautiful work by Anna! I can totally relate to feeling “all over the place” with your art/craft. Glad to know I’m not the only one! Thanks for sharing this talented artist with us!
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..A New Skill…Photography Editing…Color Highlighting =-.

• Reply Dana Komjaty March 1, 2010 at 9:23 am

Happy almost spring day to you Holly! Looking forward to warmer days and feeling more like me on days filled with blue skies and birds singing, is something i can very much relate to(i was born on the firts day of summer).
    What a beautiful find, Anna See, I am so happy to hear that creativly ‘being all over the place’ can be seen as a strenght rather than a weakness. Thank you for sharing this, it’s what i have been struggling with lately in particular. Her work is very beautiful!
    .-= Dana Komjaty´s last blog ..To protect =-.

• Reply kelly lynette March 1, 2010 at 9:25 am

love her work. thank you for posting! and it is refreshing to hear a positive outlook on “being all over the place”!
    .-= kelly lynette´s last blog ..18 x 18 paper collage floral burst wall art =-.

• Reply Julia March 1, 2010 at 9:30 am

The raccoons are adorable!
    And yes, I do feel like Anna quite often!
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Obsession of the week =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 1, 2010 at 9:41 am

These are beautiful and yes, I can completely relate! Good for Anna for being so honest & for embracing her own unique style.
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a photograph =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 1, 2010 at 9:41 am

.-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a photograph =-.

• Reply Rebecca March 1, 2010 at 9:49 am

I cannot agree more! It’s nice to see that someone else shares my opinion!
    I myself have battled thoughts about being too widespread, as I work in the fields of art, architecture, illustration and pattern design. But I feel that everything I do is intertwined, that I have a strong creative foundation and branch out in different directions. It gives me more than if I would have been trapped in one field, doing the same thing over and over!

• Reply Sherri B. March 1, 2010 at 9:54 am

I too am all over the place and can not stop it and don’t want to. As a late starter, I’m done with the shoulds and shouldn’ts the do’s and don’ts…and so wish that all those years were not wasted, no time to lose now. Go for it Anna and don’t listen to anything negative, your work is precious and sweet and as long as you follow what wells up inside it will be wonderful.

• Reply small sweet steps March 1, 2010 at 10:01 am

Thanks Holly, these are great. I have been working very hard to define my “style”. It has been very challenging and stressful to try to figure out who I am as an artist/designer. It is nice to see someone who embraces their diversity.
    .-= small sweet steps´s last blog ..Blue Bird =-.

• Reply Kate Collins March 1, 2010 at 10:19 am

Her work is gorgeous! I love all the birds.

• Reply Uncle Beefy March 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

Well, Miss Holly, I love the prints! The words are just a cherry on that sundae! Perfectly inspiring for this Monday morning. Thanks as always for your loveliness. :)

• Reply Jessica March 1, 2010 at 12:56 pm

This is the exact kind of encouragement I need and exactly why I love you so much Holly! You are so darn supportive of all the creatives in the world! Thank you. :)
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Weekend Report =-.

• Reply Sarah Sarniak March 1, 2010 at 2:01 pm

These are so beautiful. I just love the simplicity of them.
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Easy and Cheap DIY Sawhorse =-.

• Reply Anna See March 1, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I just wanted to thank you for including my work on your blog amongst such amazing company! It is an honor and I truly appreciate your lovely words, comments, and support. I am so glad to be able to inspire aspiring artists like myself to embrace their creativity and style(s) in a positive way! :) I learned after what I never learned in art school – which is to not ever try to push a style because your style, be it multiple will come naturally. Thank you for checking out my work and I will be adding new spring birds soon!

• Reply mj March 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Is March 1 not the first day of spring up there? Down here (Australia) it is the first day of Autumn, and I am thankful the blasting heat of summer is over – officially at least!

Anna’s words are perfect timing for me. I have struggled with my various tastes in styles and the number of online incarnations I’ve had is scary. I am now at a point where I’ve accepted I like to do different things, and hope everyone else does too!! :)
    .-= mj´s last blog ..~* sunday shenanigans *~ =-.

• Reply decor8 March 2, 2010 at 3:29 am

MJ – In the states the first of March varies, it’s either on the 20 or 21st of the month.

• Reply Mausumi March 2, 2010 at 6:12 am

These are so pretty! I love birds!

Unfortunately, spring has not yet come to Norway where I live! only two days ago we had a nasty blizzard, but today the sun is shining! :D
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..Photograph the ordinary =-.

• Reply eva / sycamore street press March 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm

i’m always a sucker for a good woodcut, and these are so beautiful!
    .-= eva / sycamore street press ´s last blog ..Friday Favorites =-.

• Reply Kylie Fowler January 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm