Arts + Crafts

Buk & Nola

March 18, 2010

I had such a fun day! I was invited for an interview about decor8 today by Radio FFN and I had such a fun time! I kept wishing I had brought along my camera because I would have liked someone to snap a photo of me with the sweet lady who interviewed me. She had such a great personality — and it was a very exciting experience. I can’t wait until it goes live though no date is set yet. I’ve had a very exciting week because I’m in a very big German fashion/woman’s lifestyle magazine called Myself (April 2010 issue, see the article here) that just came out yesterday and then today the radio interview so… well, it’s just great stuff. It’s nice to feel accepted in a new country.

Buk & Nola

It’s very rewarding to do work that gets attention from the right places but also that serves a greater good — it’s not just all about me, it’s about this community and opening more eyes up to what’s going on online. It’s such an honor to represent this community, even if in a small way in my own corner here, but it’s something and it certainly touches me quite deeply. I never imagined that I’d leave behind a corporate job and end up being successful doing work that I love. If you are pursuing work that you love, you must “get” it – it’s very rewarding stuff.

Buk & Nola

Enough about me. Time to share some inspiration. Let’s peek in on this lovely Montreal-based home and gift shop called Buk & Nola. If you are visiting Montreal anytime soon this appears to be a must-see stop. I found out it about earlier this week because artist Kim St Michel (she doesn’t have an online shop yet but you can contact Buk & Nola or email Kim to purchase directly from her bonjour AT cabane-k.com). Kim sells her handmade banners or “Les guirlandes de Fanions” at Buk & Nola and sent in photos of them in-situ. Aren’t they charming? So many seem to be creating these banners, or bunting, nowadays and I see that they have established themselves as a trend because you can even spot them in graphics — from cards to posters — and also on clothing like t-shirts as a motif. I think they’re so popular because they feel very joyous — bunting always means Party Time and who doesn’t love the festive feel of a good soiree.

Buk & Nola

Buk & Nola

I like seeing motifs that promote positivity in some way, not because I am a goody two shoes but because things haven’t always been sunshine and rainbows in my life and I’ve had tough times like everyone else but find that the only way to really rise above the muck is to focus on the good things in life. To push towards goals and dreams no matter what. I also recognize the need for social activities  — networking, parties, markets, fests, anything that can bring people together to melt away fear and jealously and to instead, foster creativity, community and an overall sense of belonging and meaning. Yeah, I get all of that out of a bunting motif (ha ha). But hey, if you really think about some of  the common motifs out there that you find yourself drawn towards, whether it be birds, rainbows, retro 80’s, whatever — if you explore why you are so drawn to them you can actually learn a lot about yourself. I like bunting because they remind me of celebrations and good times.

Do you like seeing this as a motif? What do you think?

Lovely work Kim and beautiful shop Buk & Nola!

(images: Annie Michaud)

40 Comments

• Reply Stacey March 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

How fun to be featured in so many different forms of media all at once – congrats! I assume you speak fluent German? Did you speak the language before you moved there, or did you pick it up once you arrived?
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Poketo: A strange and fun online shop =-.

• Reply decor8 March 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Stacey I’m still a student — I’m learning German but I am definitely NOT fluent by any sense of the word. Ha! Today’s radio interview was in English — they will translate it. They interview a lot of bands and celebs from the U.S. who do not speak German and what they usually do is they ask the questions in German, you answer in English and then they translate your answer into German and tell everyone listening in what you’ve just said. It was a very cool experience!

• Reply Raina Kattelson March 18, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Holly, You deserve all the attention, you are not only a great writer/blogger but a great teacher as well ( as I learned in the last BYW class)- wish we could get the magazine here in the states.
    xo raina
    .-= Raina Kattelson´s last blog ..papercutting class =-.

• Reply JT March 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love FFN, used to listen to them all the time when I still lived in Germany (I am German : )). So will you become famous now? I love your blog btw, very inspirational!

• Reply Tricia - Avolli March 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Congrats on the interview!

To answer your question…yes I do like bunting as a motif. I think of sailing, the sea, and celebrations. (unfortunately I also think of hanging laundry for some reason so maybe that’s not a good thing.) :-)

Tricia
    Avolli

• Reply Justina Blakeney March 18, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hey Holly,
    I am from California and I lived in Italy for 7 years– where I was working in the field of design. I remember that exact moment when I finally felt “accepted” in the design world in a foreign country– and it felt really amazing– a double feat. “Auguroni” (as they say in Italian) a big congratulations for all of your headway. You truly deserve it.
    .-= Justina Blakeney´s last blog ..Just for my mom {eat your vegetables} =-.

• Reply juliette March 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm

looking forward to tomorrows run to the store so i can see the interview for myself!

you know, I do love the bunting. it’s fun. I made some for my niece as part of her Christmas present and it was so easy to make. My sister was all excited about it, too! I think I may make a little set for myself….
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Front Door: Red sky at night =-.

• Reply Shanon March 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I love that bunting is becoming so popular. It really is joyous, you are right. This is so timely because I actually just opened a 2nd shop, other than my photography one on Etsy, that is called Iris Made This, and what do I make and sell? Bunting. Haha =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..{iris made this} =-.

• Reply Kornelia March 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Bravo … you deserve the attention for a great job. Love your blog …:)

• Reply Vivian March 18, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Congrats on the interview with Radio FFN! I love reading all your posts on interior designs and seeing pictures of your inspirations.

• Reply Fionna March 18, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Beau travail! I love so much the colors of «Les guirlandes de Fanions». Is there any place where we can find them in NYC?

Party time!

• Reply decor8 March 19, 2010 at 2:16 am

Fionna – You can find the bunting by emailing Kim directly, she told me that she is able to sell it directly to a customer for 55.- plus $5 shipping.

• Reply Jen March 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I’m not sure I loved bunting before, but this certainly inspires me to do so now!

P.S. I’m about to move to Germany and am gearing up to start learning German myself. I’m completely daunted by the pronunciation. I thought French pronunciation felt awkward on my tongue!
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Sauerkraut Fried Sushi…? =-.

• Reply Valerie March 18, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Congrats on the interview Holly ^_^ Oh and, I was at Buk & Nola this week to say hi to lovely Laurence and Caroline, the shop owners (they are my clients, I did their website), and I saw those and much more cute stuff in the shop. It’s a must see shop in Montreal! Bunting = summer party in my mind!
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..Cutsie animal lovin =-.

• Reply Amy Hadley March 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I only liked bunting for children’s rooms, but it has started to grow on me. My worry is that I’m too late the the trend and it’s about to pass. Curious, Holly, how long do you think it’ll last?
    .-= Amy Hadley´s last blog ..Peacock Decor =-.

• Reply decor8 March 19, 2010 at 2:15 am

Amy – Could go for another few years but I say that if you like it make it last as long as YOU want it to last. :)

• Reply Priya March 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Congrats on the radio and magazine interview! I agree about promoting positivity- it feels great to spread it around.
    .-= Priya´s last blog ..Show and tell on Once Upon A Tea Time..Design Stories =-.

• Reply CLAUDETTE March 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Les fanions sont magnifiques. Peuvent être utilisés dans différentes circonstances. Comme je suis du Québec, j’irai à la boutique.

Bravo La Boutique

• Reply lisa: the red thread March 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Yay for you Holly! And the article in the magazine looks great too.

I love bunting too. I think because it reminds me of good wholesome fun: fairs, parties. Simple times.
    .-= lisa: the red thread´s last blog ..Japanese Washi Tape :: Mini Bunting Tutorial =-.

• Reply frauheuberg March 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm

yep…I have bought the magazine today.The little one (not the big).Never found it.Great article and i´m so glad for you and so fine that you get support here in germany, too.Holly, really great…congratulations and once again you were an wonderful teacher…;)…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..inspired from frauheuberg´s Past =-.

• Reply Joan@anythinggoeshere March 18, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I totally get it. Congratulations. A big week. Well deserved.

• Reply Luisa @ Dance in my garden March 18, 2010 at 7:27 pm

oh what a lovely post!
    I know just what you mean about bunting…I just find when it’s in my house, i feel happier and lighter…it’s good to have something in your house to make you smile.
    My little corner of Etsy (Dance in my garden) sells bunting too!
    Congrats on the wonderful media coverage you are receiving.
    .-= Luisa @ Dance in my garden´s last blog ..my creative space – i heart rainbows =-.

• Reply Jeanne March 18, 2010 at 8:47 pm

So true what you say about serving a greater good — there are so many talented folks and great ideas out there (bunting!) and you’re helping to spread the word (will definitely stop in and say hi to Kim if I ever make it up to Montreal). Congrat’s on the coverage, sounds like fun!
    .-= Jeanne´s last blog ..Molly Mutt / Molly Meow =-.

• Reply Liss March 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm

congratulations Holly!! Id love to hear the interview. And Buk & Nola looks like a beautiful shop. I like the bunting!

• Reply Jessa March 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm

*Love* these. It’s especially important in tough times to remember to celebrate. These are fabulous!

• Reply Yasmine March 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm

So glad you have been given time and space to showcase your talent in Germany! And thank you for letting me discover ‘Buk & Nola’ – so glad I can visit them next time I’m in Montreal as I live nearby in the Quebec City.
    .-= Yasmine´s last blog ..Beautifully Imperfect Life =-.

• Reply Christina March 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Congratulations on the interview! What a special and exciting time that must have been for you, Holly! And I do love the bunting. It’s great because it’s such an essential part of ‘rising above the muck’ :)

• Reply simply grove March 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Congrats to you Holly!! Everything is sooooo well deserved!!

• Reply Karen March 19, 2010 at 3:21 am

Thanks for this tipp! I will possibly be visiting Monteral in summer and will definitly go there. Sounds great!

• Reply Stephanie March 19, 2010 at 6:35 am

I’m a subscriber to your blog and just love it. I do love the bunting and I’m not sure why but I just do and those featured above are just adorable. I’m thinking maybe for my nursery? So as I drink my coffee and read yet another blog I subscirbe to (there are way too many for this mom to be reading!!) I was lead to this. So YES they are becoming quite popular. But I hope NOT too popular as I don’t like when cool things become too ubiquitous-no?
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..bed. =-.

• Reply Gosia March 19, 2010 at 11:06 am

The notion of bunting had been quite foreign to me before I saw one against the blue blueblue summer sky during my last holiday on the island of Elba (Italy). This view mesmerised me so much that I made a postcard with the image of bunting. However, I had no idea bunting images have been such a fad. Now this image is a part of my header, too. Not because it is popular but because it makes me think of my last summer holiday and makes me endure a long, cold, dark Polish winter;-)

ps. Holly, looking forward to listening to your interview. Is it going to be broadcast in the net too, or only in the air?
    .-= Gosia´s last blog ..At work =-.

• Reply decor8 March 19, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Gosia I’m not sure — when I know I’ll be sure to let you know. :) I hope so!!!

• Reply Red Bridge Studio March 19, 2010 at 11:20 am

I have a trip planned for Montreal this spring. So I’ll put Buk & Nola on the to visit list. Thanks.

• Reply fresh365 March 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Congrats on your exciting week Holly! How fun!

• Reply jane March 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm

In response to your “motives that promote positivity” comment. I used to think they were kind of corny but the other day browsing the “shop local section” of etsy I found this:
    I was surprised how emotional I got by just reading it – I had to buy it!
    It now sits next to my desk and gives me courage every day!

love your blog!

• Reply Janick - Nea March 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Congrats on the interview! Soooo awesome!!

Buk&Nola is a fabuloussss shop! I adore it!! (… and not just because I sell my own stuff there ;) It’s truly beautiful!!)

So glad to see so many people are going to visit it during their Montreal vacations!! :D
    .-= Janick – Nea´s last blog ..Mliss Earrings =-.

• Reply sarah wade March 22, 2010 at 10:40 am

I love the bunting – really cute!

• Reply Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life March 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Honestly, there aren’t many things I love MORE than bunting! Fantastic post Holly!
    .-= Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life´s last blog ..Dogs + Trendy Wallpaper = Perfection =-.

• Reply April & May March 23, 2010 at 6:44 am

what a beautiful store this is…Love the pictures!
    .-= April & May´s last blog ..HOME – harmony and contrast =-.

• Reply Janneke April 2, 2010 at 8:22 am

Contrats on being featured in Myself! That is so great :)
    .-= Janneke´s last blog ..Spring Place Cards =-.