Objects

Tas-ka

March 19, 2010

Tas-ka is a home & fashion accessories company in the Netherlands with a name meaning handbag in Czech since at the beginning they made only handbags. They’ve been in business for over 6 years and so they’ve evolved and expanded quite a lot to include products for the home but still feel their name is still applicable since handbags is how they got their start — it has special meaning to this independent company owned by Jantien Baas and Hester Worst in The Hague.

Tas-ka

Tas-ka

Tas-ka

Tas-ka is sold all over the world but mostly in The Netherlands and Belgium. They are inspired by Marimekko, Dutch stylist Frank Visser of Studio IJM, Apartemento and Milk magazine and additionally Paumes books that they sell in their webshop.

Tas-ka

Tas-ka

Tas-ka

When I contacted this design duo via email recently, they told me that Tas-ka products are produced and made in the Netherlands — their fabric is screen printed there as well. “We think it is our responsibility to be sure that our products are made in good working conditions, we also think is important to stimulate local economy.” They also said something else about keeping their production local that I found quite interesting, “We try to support old craftsmanship as much as we can so there will be a new generation of people to transform traditional crafts and so the crafts will stay.”

Tas-ka

Tas-ka

Tas-ka

If you like some of their fabrics and want to make your own products using them then good news for you! They are available by the meter here in their online shop.

Great stuff!

(images: tas-ka)

23 Comments

• Reply michelle March 19, 2010 at 8:45 am

I love all everything but I love company even more for their commitment to stimulating the local economy and selling responsibly produced products.
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..Éire go Brách =-.

• Reply miss dzine March 19, 2010 at 8:51 am

Love the whole 1950s domestic look!Will the Scandinavians ever get things wrong? Thanks for the post!
    .-= miss dzine´s last blog ..Illustrator of the day: Emily Forgot =-.

• Reply Rosa March 19, 2010 at 9:01 am

Great post about Tas-ka! Their collection is stunning, and I love their fabrics. I’ve met them in their atelier in Den Haag last year, they are very nice, and it was lovely to see the amazing place where they create all the beautiful designs.

Have a great weekend!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 19, 2010 at 9:14 am

So adorable! I love, love, love those sweet little tea cosies! Lovely patterns in lovely colors! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Inspiration: blogging it forward =-.

• Reply glitzkrieg March 19, 2010 at 9:50 am

Holy crow- loooove!!! Thank you for the introduction!
    .-= glitzkrieg´s last blog ..essentiel de pâtisserie; matali crasset & pierre hermé for alessi =-.

• Reply Andrea March 19, 2010 at 9:52 am

Hmmm…
    Too much to love.
    Too little space and cash…
    Andrea
    .-= Andrea´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply julia March 19, 2010 at 10:21 am

These designs are beautiful. These are just the type of designs i’d love to have in m kitchen. Their outlook on business responsibility is refreshing.
    .-= julia´s last blog ..Just for me =-.

• Reply Lucy March 19, 2010 at 11:04 am

oooooh i’m liking this!!!
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk? =-.

• Reply Jessica March 19, 2010 at 11:07 am

Love the prints, and the quote “We try to support old craftsmanship as much as we can so there will be a new generation of people to transform traditional crafts and so the crafts will stay.” really resonates with me. As a seamstress now learning couture tailoring techniques, often times I wonder how our world will look 30 years from now, as skilled sewers seem to be a dying breed. Sure there are craft sewers out there, but how many newcomers are there to the traditional side of the trade?
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Asia-Mex Burritos: Teriyaki Stir Fry, Round 1 =-.

• Reply Stacey March 19, 2010 at 11:16 am

Oh wow! What lovely products. They all have such a charming feel to them. Those tea cozies are my favorite – what a cute idea to make them in the shape of a house! I also like that house breadboard too – it seems so homey.
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Poketo: A strange and fun online shop =-.

• Reply Malisams March 19, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Really, really lovely stuff. On a side note, where’d the Amelie picture come from, anybody know? I so heart that movie/aesthetic.

• Reply Nuit March 19, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I love the retro feeling of these prints… too cute!!! totally my style. Happy wknd Holly!!!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..HOT Colors!!!!!!! [ I totally ? ] =-.

• Reply Beth perry March 19, 2010 at 4:05 pm

OOOO I LOVE THOSE STOVE MITTENS!!!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..HOT DIGGITY WIENER DOG, IT’S FRIDAY!! =-.

• Reply jenn March 19, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I really liked their comment about staying local. I just purchased some mugs from the Liberty of London for Target collection and I have to say that I was saddened when I removed the price tags and found the all to familiar “made in China” stamp.

• Reply Lisa March 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I love their philosophy/practice of keeping traditional crafts alive. I feel that is so important. So many skills/crafts are dying. A few years ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to make shoes – I had a reeeealy hard time finding a class – not even fashion schools (at least not the ones in California) teach the actual craft of making footwear.

I am definitely going to tell my friend who lives in the Netherlands about Tas-Ka.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Blogs I’m Liking… =-.

• Reply holly March 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm

love these graphic patterns!! great colors!
    hmmmmm….what is a “need” / “want”….
    What can i not live without??
    .-= holly´s last blog ..Billy Baldwin Decorates 1972 Vintage Book =-.

• Reply zat March 20, 2010 at 7:39 am

i love all those vintage patterns!
    i would love to have those on my dining table and kitchen ^-^
    patterns are so cool
    .-= zat´s last blog ..Catchy and illustrative packaging for chocolate, snacks & ice-cream =-.

• Reply Chymecindy March 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

Great photos! so interesting post.
    .-= Chymecindy´s last blog ..Nail Polish =-.

• Reply Carol March 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

Beautifull Things and so beautifull stamps! Congratulations for Tas-Ka and for you!
    Kiss: Carol Carneiro
    .-= Carol´s last blog ..Ah, se eu tivesse um… =-.

• Reply A Merry Mishap March 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I really love Tas-ka, if I could put in an order for about 20 yrds of their fabric, I would have done so yesterday!! Too bad it’s so expensive to ship to the US.

• Reply Nutmeg Girl March 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Great fabrics! I still love their handbags :)
    .-= Nutmeg Girl´s last blog ..Clandestine Gardening =-.

• Reply Trish March 20, 2010 at 6:50 pm

love their stuff!!! the fabrics are adorable! i would love to accesorize my home with their pillows !

• Reply Suze March 21, 2010 at 8:49 am

Hi Holly! Ciao everybody! Great find! I’m in love with these patterns and fabrics, specially for the kitchen! Thanks for the intro!
    Suze
    .-= Suze´s last blog ..Surprise Eggs =-.