The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

I must show you my new favorite book but first, I’m embarrassed to make this confession… You see, before my copy of The Homemade Home by Sania Pell arrived this morning I had never heard of this talented lady before. How could this be, she is so amazing and I’m always online and reading everything I come across! Oh well, I am so grateful that this has changed because Sania Pell is my new obsession. In fact, I just spent the past hour researching everything I could find online about her. I also snapped a few glimpses of her new book, The Homemade Home, that is available now to order on Amazon. Published by CICO Books, this gorgeous 192 page full-color book features 50 stylish and affordable projects that show you how to customize your home on a budget. All 300 photographs are by Penny Wincer, a favorite photographer of mine, so I knew the moment I saw her name on this book that I’d love the visuals. And I do — so, so much.

The Homemade Home

This book makes me happy! Do you own such books — ones that you open and immediately all is better in the world? The Homemade Home is my happy place because it embraces what I’m all about — sharing ideas and inspiration that are both accessible and give all an opportunity to inject individuality into our space to avoid that familiar catalog-feel that we want to avoid. Let’s look at some more of this book together, shall we?

The Homemade Home

The Homemade Home

The Homemade Home

There isn’t one photo I don’t like, and not one project I wouldn’t try in this book — I really like how many projects encourage you to use things that you already have – upcycling and recycling them into new items. Author and stylist Sania Pell lives and works in West London where she is married with two children. Her degree is in textiles from the Edinburgh College of Art when, after graduating, she worked for one of London’s top textile studios where her designs were brought to prestigious fashion labels such as Marks & Spencer, The Gap, Monsoon, Armani and Laura Ashley.

The Homemade Home

The Homemade Home

After 7 years in that field, Sania decided to join Elle Decoration magazine to train as a stylist and now she works for publications in England including The Sunday Telegraph and The Mail On Sunday in addition to her work as a visiting lecturer at the Edinburgh College of Art. The Homemade Home is Sania’s first sole book (congratulations Sania if you read this review)– here’s to hoping there is a second and third… I could flip through books like this all day long.

Bottom line: This book is one of my new favorites. It’s imaginative without being over-the-top,  handmade without being kitschy and tacky, and it’s a book that will encourage crafty beginner’s without frustration while equally challenging advanced creatives with new and rewarding projects.

Psst: I’m an Amazon affiliate so the links in this post to Amazon are part of my affiliate program.

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on April 12, 2010

1. melissa commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:09am

What a coincidence! I was going to blog about this fantastic book after I stumbled across it at the library on the weekend. There are some fantastic projects in it – and the photography is beautiful.

2. heidi commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:23am

I’m going to have to add that book to my collection thats amazing. that lamp and those chairs….
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..almost done… =-.

3. 7rish commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:33am

very interesting! will have to check it out =)
    thanks!

4. City Chic - Jamie commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:34am

Lovely! I just ordered a copy for my mom, thinking I will give it to her for Mother’s Day. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to look through it before giving it to her otherwise I’ll have to borrow it from her!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Decked out! =-.

5. simone commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:36am

Wow Holly!! What a fabulous book. All the projects look wonderful –and the photography! You are right, nothing there is not to love. I’ll have to dash on over to Amazon for this one! Thanks for bringing a little inspiration to Monday morning.
    .-= simone´s last blog ..In a picnic state of mind. =-.

6. caro commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:36am

Hey Holly. Thank you for this. I think this could be one of my favorite books too.
    .-= caro ´s last blog ..Interview with the great photographer Katja Heil =-.

7. Eliza commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:36am

this book looks awesome! I think I just might add it to my ever growing birthday list!
    .-= Eliza´s last blog ..Sprouting =-.

8. molly commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:41am

Thanks for the review, Holly. It looks like a lovely book – definitely adding to my wish list!
    .-= molly´s last blog ..Spreading a little sunshine…. =-.

9. juliette commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:43am

I’m putting together a short list of things I want to pick up when I go to the US in June and I think this just made the short list.

This is a great review Holly; I love the pictures and the small sampling of ideas they show. You are so right – so many DIY books are either all-the-same or kinda kitschy. I don’t mind a little kitch in the kitchen, but I have a hard time finding fresh ideas for other corners of our home and this looks really promising!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Sewn: Pieced polka dot tablecloth and napkins =-.

10. Rosa commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:43am

What a beautiful book, just ordered it right away!

Thanks for sharing, Holly!

11. craftscafe commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:44am

Wow, full of beautiful & inspiring ideas! Origami paper bottles is my favorite. I saved a bottle perfect for this project!

12. Will commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:46am

Thanks for introducing this fantastic book, Holly. I’m not normally a craft book fan, but this looks like one to check out for sure!
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Colour Inspiration: Pink} =-.

13. frauheuberg commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:51am

Oh, Holly.I must search for this, too.A lovley inspiring book and i can feel the creativitiy inside.I fall in love. Thanks so much for sharing.
    And hopefully you had a lovley sunny weekend…Take care and have a great creative week…hugs and cheers Ines
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..A happy cozy Weekend… =-.

14. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 9:12am

How beautiful! I am adding it to my new faves….and yes, I have books like that. Just opening them makes me feel so happy & all is right with the world :) Have a terrific monday my dear!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: Inspired by a necklace =-.

15. ThiliBlooms commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 9:22am

wow this book looks amazing!! thanks for sharing :)
    .-= ThiliBlooms´s last blog ..New pink bloom =-.

16. geisslein commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 9:24am

Seems to be a great book – I think I would love it ;o)
    have a lovely start in the new week!
    .-= geisslein´s last blog ..Have a great start in the new week! =-.

17. Masha commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 9:52am

The book seems lovely and really inspiring! I really like the linen board – very simple and natural, but really chic.
    .-= Masha´s last blog ..The Ornamelle Accessory Kit =-.

18. sarah b. commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 10:00am

oh, it looks lovely. the images are beautiful.
    .-= sarah b.´s last blog ..Emma Woodhouse! =-.

19. melissa deakin commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 10:06am

thanks for sharing.
    just ordered my copy.
    it looks gorgeous!

20. winter commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 10:11am

psssst….I am going through the amazon link right now!

21. Sarah Sarniak commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 10:17am

This looks like a really cool book. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Dining Room Table Redo Inspiration =-.

22. Kristina commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 10:38am

So lovely! It looks really well designed. I also really like that you disclosed about the Amazon affiliate links – lots of ppl don’t and your candidness makes me want to click it moreso rather than less, now!

Check out my latest blog post (in the commentluv link) I think you’ll like it :)
    .-= Kristina´s last blog ..Small & White, Clean & Bright =-.

23. laura trevey commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 12:13pm

This book looks lovely ~~ thanks for this post!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Bold Vision : Roseline ~ This is Glamorous =-.

24. Yoli commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 1:06pm

Looks like a wonderful book for the crafty set.
    .-= Yoli´s last blog ..The Queen’s Rival =-.

25. Isa commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 1:27pm

I totally just ordered this. THANK YOU!

26. jacaranda Designs commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 2:13pm

I’m definitely going to have to look into getting this book.
    .-= jacaranda Designs´s last blog ..Ivory Pearl and Silver Bouquet Post Earrings Perfect For The Bride =-.

27. Nuit commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 2:15pm

it looks amazing!!!!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Going back for more…. Jeffers Design Group =-.

28. sandra commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 2:27pm

That book looks fantastic!
    .-= sandra´s last blog ..A bit of shopping =-.

29. Design Fixation commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 3:01pm

This book is gorgeous, it’ll have to go on my list of things I MUST buy. Looks like it’s very well-designed too.

Bet it would make a great gift!
    .-= Design Fixation´s last blog ..Design In A Box =-.

30. johanna commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 3:13pm

This looks so awesome. Just added it to my wishlist!
    .-= johanna´s last blog ..Weekend happenings. =-.

31. Jolette commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 3:45pm

This looks like an absolutely fantastic book. I’m all for, well, affordable inspiration, since my decorating budget is almost non-existent but I love a beautiful space as much as the next girl. I use whatever I can find around the house or buy for next to nothing – mom’s leftover fabrics, both grans’ collections of mismatched buttons, empty glass bottles, coloured Kraft wrap. My birthday’s coming up, so I’ll be hinting at this book!
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..Sharing the sunshine =-.

32. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 4:02pm

Oh wow, I couldn’t resist this book any longer once I saw the origami paper bottles! I have been saving bottles for years now, and hoarding origami papers, too. Time to make something pretty with them. Thanks Holly! :)
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..Learn something new everyday! =-.

33. Donna commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 4:28pm

Thanks for the recommendation Holly, the book looks gorgeous.
    I’m just about to embark on doing up my flat on a tiny budget, so this couldn’t have come at a better time.

34. Jes commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 4:36pm

This book looks fantastic! I love that all the walls in the photos are white. That’s what I’ve been doing in some of my rooms so that the colors of my decor really stand out. I’m going to order it now. Thanks!
    .-= Jes´s last blog ..tellies =-.

35. Laura commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 5:28pm

I bought that book a month ago. Isn’t it just devine. Love it.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..To Paint White or No =-.

36. casapinka commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 7:49pm

Several of these photos were just in on of the UK design mags(can’t remember which.) I loved them but didn’t realize that they came from that book.
    .-= casapinka´s last blog ..An Easter Tea =-.

37. jennifer commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:00pm

hi holly, this is nothing to do with the book, although it looks wonderful! i love your blog and have been reading it for a while thinking you were from california or new york or something. then the other day i noticed the words “new hampshire” at the botton of the page, looked at the “about you” section and found that you are in portsmouth, nh, where i work!! i was so surprised! anyway, i enjoy reading your blog, especially now! thanks!

38. At Home with Kim Vallee commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 8:43pm

The UK version of Elle Decoration is my favorite one. Love her book. I am glad that you shared this one.
    .-= At Home with Kim Vallee´s last blog ..New Stamp Sets by Yellow Owl Workshop =-.

39. hazel & hunter commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 9:37pm

this book looks amazing! it’s going on my list :)

40. Alison Gibbs commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 11:29pm

This looks like a fabulous book. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Definitely next on my list of things to buy!
    Alison
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..Enjoying a cup of tea =-.

41. Clare commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 1:23am

I was leafing through this book a few weeks ago and loved it. I was very strong and didn’t buy it on the spot (was meant to be shopping for winter clothes for the kids!) but it has gone on my wish list. May favourite sort of books are ones which so inspire me to better my home that the washing up doesn’t get done that evening as I am too busy sewing, cutting and sticking, or rearranging shelves!
    .-= Clare´s last blog ..Jean and Joyce & Buba and La…. =-.

42. decor8 commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 2:17am

Jennifer: Everyone thinks I’m from California, it’s the funniest thing. Could be my aesthetic or vibe. I don’t know. But I am actually from South Carolina, I grew up there on the beach. Later, we relocated to Boston and finally to Hollis, NH. Then we decided to move to northern Germany where we live now. I have an office in Portsmouth though which is helpful but I live in Germany. :)

43. Ana commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 4:02am

I just saw her feature on this month’s Elle Deco UK. It’s great! I have to get this book!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Passeio de Domingo / Sunday Stroll =-.

44. Monique Langen commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 4:21am

Wow,I love that book! I have to have it! I love your blog by the way! When will there be a training cours blogging again? I am starting up my own blog and webshop in interior and lifestyle articles.I also work as an interior stylist. Webshop should be online half of may.
    Keep up the good inspiration at your blog! Monique from Holland.

45. decor8 commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 5:33am

Monique – Yes in Sept/Oct there will be another e-course. I’ll talk about it more in August and have a link to registration then. Thank you!

46. decor8 commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 5:34am

Ana I have to get the issue — I guess I need to head down to the train station and see if Virgin has it. :)

47. Ana commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 5:50am

The guys at the Virgin store must know you already!!! BTW, all the magazine is worth looking at!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Passeio de Domingo / Sunday Stroll =-.

48. Coco commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 7:21am

Wow i love that sculptural lamp!! I’ve two books that make me feel of ‘coming home': Home Is Where The Heart is from Ilse Crawford and Simple Home by Mark & Sally Bailey. Both books are actually a bit about the same thing, restore what you have and find treasures at flea markets, local shops or in nature.
    Funny thing is that my actaully home doesn’t look at all like that. I’m trying ;)

49. Coco commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 7:23am

Oh I forget my third more crafty book that i love, love just sooo much love!! How could i forget?
    Its called Vive la Fête! with the simplest craft projects but sooo lovely photographed and well made… http://www.friedamaria.com/

50. decor8 commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 7:57am

Coco I’ve been DYING to get that book but cannot find it in Germany anywhere.

51. julia commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 11:47am

this is officially on my birthday list.
    .-= julia´s last blog ..Handmade Prettiness =-.

52. Meredith commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 4:31pm

I’m definitely going to have to find a copy of this. The linen pin board you showed in the last photo is exactly what I’m wanting to make for our laundry room.
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..toy bin tags =-.

53. Thea S commented
    April 13th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Oh, I want it. It’s so hard to find one book with so many great projects. Thanks Holly :)
    .-= Thea S´s last blog ..More than a Tea Towel =-.

54. Suze commented
    April 14th, 2010 at 8:47am

…this goes straight in my wishlist! Ciao!
    Suze
    .-= Suze´s last blog ..Trompe l’oeil butterfly under glass (made by me) =-.

55. Renee commented
    April 14th, 2010 at 3:24pm

Hi Holly,
    Thanks for this post, I rushed over to Amazon and ordered the book it was on my front porch today – yay!! Can’t wait to read it from cover to cover.
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..Dreaming of Paris =-.

56. decor8 commented
    April 15th, 2010 at 3:05am

Renee — You’re welcome, I can’t wait to see what you think so be sure to come back and tell us!!!

57. Paulette commented
    April 15th, 2010 at 6:59pm

My happy place book is the Taschen 20th anniversary Paris Interiors book. I especially love LouLou de Falaise’s chandelier, which makes me smile every time I see it.
    .-= Paulette´s last blog ..Look! (4-11-10) =-.

58. Luthien commented
    July 8th, 2010 at 6:39am

I just shared this wonderful post and review from The Homemade Home by Sania Pell at http://homefairies.blogspot.com/. Hope you don’t mind :) Regards!
    Luthien´s last blog post ..The Homemade Home by Sania Pell