Books + Magazines

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

April 12, 2010

I must show you my new favorite book but first, I’m embarrassed to make this confession… You see, before my copy of The Homemade Home by Sania Pell arrived this morning I had never heard of this talented lady before. How could this be, she is so amazing and I’m always online and reading everything I come across! Oh well, I am so grateful that this has changed because Sania Pell is my new obsession. In fact, I just spent the past hour researching everything I could find online about her. I also snapped a few glimpses of her new book, The Homemade Home, that is available now to order on Amazon. Published by CICO Books, this gorgeous 192 page full-color book features 50 stylish and affordable projects that show you how to customize your home on a budget. All 300 photographs are by Penny Wincer, a favorite photographer of mine, so I knew the moment I saw her name on this book that I’d love the visuals. And I do — so, so much.

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

This book makes me happy! Do you own such books — ones that you open and immediately all is better in the world? The Homemade Home is my happy place because it embraces what I’m all about — sharing ideas and inspiration that are both accessible and give all an opportunity to inject individuality into our space to avoid that familiar catalog-feel that we want to avoid. Let’s look at some more of this book together, shall we?

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

There isn’t one photo I don’t like, and not one project I wouldn’t try in this book — I really like how many projects encourage you to use things that you already have – upcycling and recycling them into new items. Author and stylist Sania Pell lives and works in West London where she is married with two children. Her degree is in textiles from the Edinburgh College of Art when, after graduating, she worked for one of London’s top textile studios where her designs were brought to prestigious fashion labels such as Marks & Spencer, The Gap, Monsoon, Armani and Laura Ashley.

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

The Homemade Home by Sania Pell

After 7 years in that field, Sania decided to join Elle Decoration magazine to train as a stylist and now she works for publications in England including The Sunday Telegraph and The Mail On Sunday in addition to her work as a visiting lecturer at the Edinburgh College of Art. The Homemade Home is Sania’s first sole book (congratulations Sania if you read this review)– here’s to hoping there is a second and third… I could flip through books like this all day long.

Bottom line: This book is one of my new favorites. It’s imaginative without being over-the-top,  handmade without being kitschy and tacky, and it’s a book that will encourage crafty beginner’s without frustration while equally challenging advanced creatives with new and rewarding projects.

Psst: I’m an Amazon affiliate so the links in this post to Amazon are part of my affiliate program.

(images: holly becker for decor8)

58 Comments

• Reply melissa April 12, 2010 at 8:09 am

What a coincidence! I was going to blog about this fantastic book after I stumbled across it at the library on the weekend. There are some fantastic projects in it – and the photography is beautiful.

• Reply heidi April 12, 2010 at 8:23 am

I’m going to have to add that book to my collection thats amazing. that lamp and those chairs….
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..almost done… =-.

• Reply 7rish April 12, 2010 at 8:33 am

very interesting! will have to check it out =)
    thanks!

• Reply City Chic - Jamie April 12, 2010 at 8:34 am

Lovely! I just ordered a copy for my mom, thinking I will give it to her for Mother’s Day. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to look through it before giving it to her otherwise I’ll have to borrow it from her!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Decked out! =-.

• Reply simone April 12, 2010 at 8:36 am

Wow Holly!! What a fabulous book. All the projects look wonderful –and the photography! You are right, nothing there is not to love. I’ll have to dash on over to Amazon for this one! Thanks for bringing a little inspiration to Monday morning.
    .-= simone´s last blog ..In a picnic state of mind. =-.

• Reply caro April 12, 2010 at 8:36 am

Hey Holly. Thank you for this. I think this could be one of my favorite books too.
    .-= caro ´s last blog ..Interview with the great photographer Katja Heil =-.

• Reply Eliza April 12, 2010 at 8:36 am

this book looks awesome! I think I just might add it to my ever growing birthday list!
    .-= Eliza´s last blog ..Sprouting =-.

• Reply molly April 12, 2010 at 8:41 am

Thanks for the review, Holly. It looks like a lovely book – definitely adding to my wish list!
    .-= molly´s last blog ..Spreading a little sunshine…. =-.

• Reply juliette April 12, 2010 at 8:43 am

I’m putting together a short list of things I want to pick up when I go to the US in June and I think this just made the short list.

This is a great review Holly; I love the pictures and the small sampling of ideas they show. You are so right – so many DIY books are either all-the-same or kinda kitschy. I don’t mind a little kitch in the kitchen, but I have a hard time finding fresh ideas for other corners of our home and this looks really promising!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Sewn: Pieced polka dot tablecloth and napkins =-.

• Reply Rosa April 12, 2010 at 8:43 am

What a beautiful book, just ordered it right away!

Thanks for sharing, Holly!

• Reply craftscafe April 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

Wow, full of beautiful & inspiring ideas! Origami paper bottles is my favorite. I saved a bottle perfect for this project!

• Reply Will April 12, 2010 at 8:46 am

Thanks for introducing this fantastic book, Holly. I’m not normally a craft book fan, but this looks like one to check out for sure!
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Colour Inspiration: Pink} =-.

• Reply frauheuberg April 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

Oh, Holly.I must search for this, too.A lovley inspiring book and i can feel the creativitiy inside.I fall in love. Thanks so much for sharing.
    And hopefully you had a lovley sunny weekend…Take care and have a great creative week…hugs and cheers Ines
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..A happy cozy Weekend… =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente April 12, 2010 at 9:12 am

How beautiful! I am adding it to my new faves….and yes, I have books like that. Just opening them makes me feel so happy & all is right with the world :) Have a terrific monday my dear!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: Inspired by a necklace =-.

• Reply ThiliBlooms April 12, 2010 at 9:22 am

wow this book looks amazing!! thanks for sharing :)
    .-= ThiliBlooms´s last blog ..New pink bloom =-.

• Reply geisslein April 12, 2010 at 9:24 am

Seems to be a great book – I think I would love it ;o)
    have a lovely start in the new week!
    .-= geisslein´s last blog ..Have a great start in the new week! =-.

• Reply Masha April 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

The book seems lovely and really inspiring! I really like the linen board – very simple and natural, but really chic.
    .-= Masha´s last blog ..The Ornamelle Accessory Kit =-.

• Reply sarah b. April 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

oh, it looks lovely. the images are beautiful.
    .-= sarah b.´s last blog ..Emma Woodhouse! =-.

• Reply melissa deakin April 12, 2010 at 10:06 am

thanks for sharing.
    just ordered my copy.
    it looks gorgeous!

• Reply winter April 12, 2010 at 10:11 am

psssst….I am going through the amazon link right now!

• Reply Sarah Sarniak April 12, 2010 at 10:17 am

This looks like a really cool book. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Dining Room Table Redo Inspiration =-.

• Reply Kristina April 12, 2010 at 10:38 am

So lovely! It looks really well designed. I also really like that you disclosed about the Amazon affiliate links – lots of ppl don’t and your candidness makes me want to click it moreso rather than less, now!

Check out my latest blog post (in the commentluv link) I think you’ll like it :)
    .-= Kristina´s last blog ..Small & White, Clean & Bright =-.

• Reply laura trevey April 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

This book looks lovely ~~ thanks for this post!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Bold Vision : Roseline ~ This is Glamorous =-.

• Reply Yoli April 12, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Looks like a wonderful book for the crafty set.
    .-= Yoli´s last blog ..The Queen’s Rival =-.

• Reply Isa April 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I totally just ordered this. THANK YOU!

• Reply jacaranda Designs April 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’m definitely going to have to look into getting this book.
    .-= jacaranda Designs´s last blog ..Ivory Pearl and Silver Bouquet Post Earrings Perfect For The Bride =-.

• Reply Nuit April 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

it looks amazing!!!!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Going back for more…. Jeffers Design Group =-.

• Reply sandra April 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm

That book looks fantastic!
    .-= sandra´s last blog ..A bit of shopping =-.

• Reply Design Fixation April 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm

This book is gorgeous, it’ll have to go on my list of things I MUST buy. Looks like it’s very well-designed too.

Bet it would make a great gift!
    .-= Design Fixation´s last blog ..Design In A Box =-.

• Reply johanna April 12, 2010 at 3:13 pm

This looks so awesome. Just added it to my wishlist!
    .-= johanna´s last blog ..Weekend happenings. =-.

• Reply Jolette April 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

This looks like an absolutely fantastic book. I’m all for, well, affordable inspiration, since my decorating budget is almost non-existent but I love a beautiful space as much as the next girl. I use whatever I can find around the house or buy for next to nothing – mom’s leftover fabrics, both grans’ collections of mismatched buttons, empty glass bottles, coloured Kraft wrap. My birthday’s coming up, so I’ll be hinting at this book!
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..Sharing the sunshine =-.

• Reply sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) April 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Oh wow, I couldn’t resist this book any longer once I saw the origami paper bottles! I have been saving bottles for years now, and hoarding origami papers, too. Time to make something pretty with them. Thanks Holly! :)
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..Learn something new everyday! =-.

• Reply Donna April 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for the recommendation Holly, the book looks gorgeous.
    I’m just about to embark on doing up my flat on a tiny budget, so this couldn’t have come at a better time.

• Reply Jes April 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm

This book looks fantastic! I love that all the walls in the photos are white. That’s what I’ve been doing in some of my rooms so that the colors of my decor really stand out. I’m going to order it now. Thanks!
    .-= Jes´s last blog ..tellies =-.

• Reply Laura April 12, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I bought that book a month ago. Isn’t it just devine. Love it.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..To Paint White or No =-.

• Reply casapinka April 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Several of these photos were just in on of the UK design mags(can’t remember which.) I loved them but didn’t realize that they came from that book.
    .-= casapinka´s last blog ..An Easter Tea =-.

• Reply jennifer April 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

hi holly, this is nothing to do with the book, although it looks wonderful! i love your blog and have been reading it for a while thinking you were from california or new york or something. then the other day i noticed the words “new hampshire” at the botton of the page, looked at the “about you” section and found that you are in portsmouth, nh, where i work!! i was so surprised! anyway, i enjoy reading your blog, especially now! thanks!

• Reply decor8 April 13, 2010 at 2:17 am

Jennifer: Everyone thinks I’m from California, it’s the funniest thing. Could be my aesthetic or vibe. I don’t know. But I am actually from South Carolina, I grew up there on the beach. Later, we relocated to Boston and finally to Hollis, NH. Then we decided to move to northern Germany where we live now. I have an office in Portsmouth though which is helpful but I live in Germany. :)

• Reply At Home with Kim Vallee April 12, 2010 at 8:43 pm

The UK version of Elle Decoration is my favorite one. Love her book. I am glad that you shared this one.
    .-= At Home with Kim Vallee´s last blog ..New Stamp Sets by Yellow Owl Workshop =-.

• Reply hazel & hunter April 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm

this book looks amazing! it’s going on my list :)

• Reply Alison Gibbs April 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm

This looks like a fabulous book. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Definitely next on my list of things to buy!
    Alison
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..Enjoying a cup of tea =-.

• Reply Clare April 13, 2010 at 1:23 am

I was leafing through this book a few weeks ago and loved it. I was very strong and didn’t buy it on the spot (was meant to be shopping for winter clothes for the kids!) but it has gone on my wish list. May favourite sort of books are ones which so inspire me to better my home that the washing up doesn’t get done that evening as I am too busy sewing, cutting and sticking, or rearranging shelves!
    .-= Clare´s last blog ..Jean and Joyce & Buba and La…. =-.

• Reply Ana April 13, 2010 at 4:02 am

I just saw her feature on this month’s Elle Deco UK. It’s great! I have to get this book!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Passeio de Domingo / Sunday Stroll =-.

• Reply decor8 April 13, 2010 at 5:34 am

Ana I have to get the issue — I guess I need to head down to the train station and see if Virgin has it. :)

• Reply Monique Langen April 13, 2010 at 4:21 am

Wow,I love that book! I have to have it! I love your blog by the way! When will there be a training cours blogging again? I am starting up my own blog and webshop in interior and lifestyle articles.I also work as an interior stylist. Webshop should be online half of may.
    Keep up the good inspiration at your blog! Monique from Holland.

• Reply decor8 April 13, 2010 at 5:33 am

Monique – Yes in Sept/Oct there will be another e-course. I’ll talk about it more in August and have a link to registration then. Thank you!

• Reply Ana April 13, 2010 at 5:50 am

The guys at the Virgin store must know you already!!! BTW, all the magazine is worth looking at!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Passeio de Domingo / Sunday Stroll =-.

• Reply Coco April 13, 2010 at 7:21 am

Wow i love that sculptural lamp!! I’ve two books that make me feel of ‘coming home': Home Is Where The Heart is from Ilse Crawford and Simple Home by Mark & Sally Bailey. Both books are actually a bit about the same thing, restore what you have and find treasures at flea markets, local shops or in nature.
    Funny thing is that my actaully home doesn’t look at all like that. I’m trying ;)

• Reply Coco April 13, 2010 at 7:23 am

Oh I forget my third more crafty book that i love, love just sooo much love!! How could i forget?
    Its called Vive la Fête! with the simplest craft projects but sooo lovely photographed and well made… http://www.friedamaria.com/

• Reply decor8 April 13, 2010 at 7:57 am

Coco I’ve been DYING to get that book but cannot find it in Germany anywhere.

• Reply julia April 13, 2010 at 11:47 am

this is officially on my birthday list.
    .-= julia´s last blog ..Handmade Prettiness =-.

• Reply Meredith April 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I’m definitely going to have to find a copy of this. The linen pin board you showed in the last photo is exactly what I’m wanting to make for our laundry room.
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..toy bin tags =-.

• Reply Thea S April 13, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Oh, I want it. It’s so hard to find one book with so many great projects. Thanks Holly :)
    .-= Thea S´s last blog ..More than a Tea Towel =-.

• Reply Suze April 14, 2010 at 8:47 am

…this goes straight in my wishlist! Ciao!
    Suze
    .-= Suze´s last blog ..Trompe l’oeil butterfly under glass (made by me) =-.

• Reply Renee April 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hi Holly,
    Thanks for this post, I rushed over to Amazon and ordered the book it was on my front porch today – yay!! Can’t wait to read it from cover to cover.
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..Dreaming of Paris =-.

• Reply decor8 April 15, 2010 at 3:05 am

Renee — You’re welcome, I can’t wait to see what you think so be sure to come back and tell us!!!

• Reply Paulette April 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

My happy place book is the Taschen 20th anniversary Paris Interiors book. I especially love LouLou de Falaise’s chandelier, which makes me smile every time I see it.
    .-= Paulette´s last blog ..Look! (4-11-10) =-.

• Reply Luthien July 8, 2010 at 6:39 am

I just shared this wonderful post and review from The Homemade Home by Sania Pell at http://homefairies.blogspot.com/. Hope you don’t mind :) Regards!