Color Me Pretty

Hello Friends! It is Leslie with this month’s Color Me Pretty. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of visiting a Ranunculus farm just south of where I live and I got really inspired with all the gorgeous colors.

I was really impressed with the coral toned variety and decided to use some of the photographs I took there as my inspiration for this column. I think the spring greens, light melons, darker corals and the light blue sky are so fresh and beautiful. I wanted to use this combination to provide you with some little ways to incorporate different palettes into your home life.

Over my desk I have two medium sized cork boards that I got from the Container Store and I love changing what is on them all the time. Sometimes I have a color idea on them and other times it is more about an idea -like desserts! I like to use my eyelet puncher to hang envelopes on my board to hold little scraps or as a holder of visual ideas that I may want to work on later. I also like to use larger clips to hang art work so that I am not putting holes in some of my favorite cards, like the bird and bloom one by Hadley Hutton.

I keep some of my paper collection in inexpensive cylinder trash cans. It is nice to be able to see what you have in order to use and be inspired by your supplies. Of course some of my papers are kept laying flat in a proper box but I must say I end up using what is out and visible first! I also have a hard time parting with some of my scraps as I like to make cards for my family and friends. A simple way to organize your scraps is by cleaning up the shape of the piece (with a pair of small, sharp scissors like this) and then popping it into a glassine envelope. I taped the envelopes into a new journal so that I can reference the colorful bits for future paper craft projects.

Sometimes it is fun to experiment with a different color scheme by incorporating some new colors into a little entertaining idea. A couple fun colored bowls for dips or how about straws and goody bags? Yes, even adults love goody bags after a nice lunch or dinner!

I wanted to take a friend some flowers recently and decided to use an old mason jar.  To dress it up I tied some paper ribbon around the jar and fastened a clothes peg to it to hold the card. This could look good on a table as well and is a fun way to add a table number or even some fancy scrap papers!

I hope you found some ideas to incorporate more colors into you day and I look forward to seeing you here next month.

Take good care,
Leslie

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on April 28, 2010

1. Courtney commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:54am

Ranunculus are my favorite flowers! Pretty pretty colors!

designsketchbook.blogspot.com
    .-= Courtney´s last blog ..Moodboards. =-.

2. laura trevey commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:57am

The coral florals are stunning… and I have those bowls from Anthro!! Love them ~~
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..In the Garden =-.

3. jennifer m commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:58am

so many brilliant and beautiful ideas!
    very verrrry inspiring..thank you!
    .-= jennifer m´s last blog ..frosted garden – vintage inspired swing earrings =-.

4. anna shoub commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:03am

This is beyond beautiful. I love the coral tones with the oranges. Thanks for giving me a little floral preview of what will come later here in Nova Scotia.
    .-= anna shoub´s last blog ..My sunny new hat =-.

5. Laura Gaskill commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:05am

Welcome back dear Leslie, I hope you and your family are holding up. This is such a beautiful, inspiring post (as usual), and I especially love seeing the behind-the-scenes bits about your creative process – from the inspiration at the flower farm to your inspiration boards back home and finally into a finished arrangement. Just lovely.

I’ve been feeling very emotional lately (8 months pregnant will do that, I guess!) and visiting you & Holly here this morning was just the thing I needed to brighten my day :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..My Gray Kitchen! =-.

6. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:08am

I can’t find the best words to tell you just how much I LOVE this palette! Coral, green, blue seem to me the perfect image of a sunny beautiful summer day and I’m more than addicted to sunny days!!! Thank you so much for the inspiration, Leslie! I always look forward seeing your inspiration boards and color combos! xo
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..The Home Centric on Etsy =-.

7. tinajo commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:09am

This is a lovely post, all the yummy colors whispers ‘spring’ to me..! :-)
    .-= tinajo´s last blog ..Yes, turned out as I hoped! =-.

8. Andy Mathis commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:09am

Pretty. Pretty.

Love the robin and dogwood on the pink background – Card? Tag?
    Whatever it is, it’s very nice. My eye went to it immediately.
    .-= Andy Mathis´s last blog ..I cried like a little school girl. =-.

9. postcards and pretties commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:12am

gorgeous colors …perfect for spring

10. decor8 commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:24am

Laura this is soooo nice to hear. :)

11. Katy commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:27am

those flowers are the most gorgeous color!
    .-= Katy´s last blog ..England: Decor at Beluga =-.

12. Chloe commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:30am

Leslie… I really enjoyed this “informative” version of color me pretty…lovely ideas, colors….ahh!

13. Estela commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:32am

Wow! what amazing photos! I absolutely love the second one! Your pictures have switched my spring mood on… thanks! I’ll take that as a present for my birthday tomorrow! ;)

14. Debbie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:33am

Leslie,

Your journal with the glassine envelops is a wonderful idea for corralling paper scraps. Love it!

And I love the color scheme. I have an office with those gorgeous shades of coral and blue with walls of yellow. They are my inspiration. Inviting and warm, isn’t it?

Thanks,
    Debbie
    .-= Debbie´s last blog ..5 Things You Can Control =-.

15. The Shutter commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:39am

Beautiful, beautiful images.
    .-= The Shutter´s last blog ..Pure Bliss =-.

16. jessica commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:39am

those flowers are beautiful!

17. Betsy commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:04am

I LOVE THIS POST!

18. Julie Cove commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:20am

Les I absolutely love how you share the “how to”. You illustrate it so well and your ideas are fresh and unique. Those Japanese tapes make everything better don’t they? I am yearning for summer and it seems to be taking it’s sweet old time with erratic spring weather here so your fields of ranunculus in the sunshine with that gorgeous blue sky took me away- thanx for sharing your creative eye so beautifully. And Yeh, it’s sunny outside here today:)
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Eco Living is Alkalizing-Celebrate Earth Day =-.

19. fresh365 commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:26am

One of my favorite color explorations yet! And I am quite jealous of your trip to the Ranunculus farm. Looks amazing! Thinking of you Leslie.

20. Elle Sees commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:28am

The flowers and color gave me such a breath of fresh air. Loved it.

21. Brooke T. commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:40am

Beautiful! Love the colors, the flowers, the creativity. You inspire me!

22. Melanie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:56am

Wow! As always I love reading (er…viewing) Leslie’s posts. This month was no exception. The coral tones were simpy beautiful and so inspiring this spring.

23. caro commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:59am

Oh wow, it’s so wunderful. Wonderful colors – what else? Leslie, you did such a great job and I really love your drawing with the little robin at the board. So lovely!
    .-= caro´s last blog ..depeapa =-.

24. flowing moments commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:10am

it is so good to see you back Leslie and your beautiful displays and images and I really like your little “details” envelop :)
    .-= flowing moments´s last blog ..gentle =-.

25. Nienke at Revel commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:14am

Leslie is so super creative!!

I am a visual person too and need to have my inspiration (paper, ribbons, pictures, etc) on display so that I can look at them and get new ideas.

26. Ashley Yazzie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:21am

As always, I am inspired. Loved the mason jar/clothes pin idea. I have an idea to tweak that and make it my own. Thank you, thank you!

Hugs,

Ashley
    .-= Ashley Yazzie´s last blog ..Do you believe? =-.

27. Piper commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:35am

It’s so nice to see you back Leslie – I just adore your posts and this is one of my faves because ranunculus are my fave flowers!! How incredible it would be to visit a farm, wow! Your photos as usual have brightened my day – thanks :)
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{shake it up – week 17 scoop} =-.

28. Frau Mayer commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:43am

Thank you so much for that envelope idea!
    .-= Frau Mayer´s last blog ..Bastelattacke =-.

29. Travelingmama commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 12:06pm

These photos are sooo beautiful, Leslie! Where do you find your paper like that in the rolls? Do you have any favorite online shops?
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..{crafty} girl =-.

30. Amanda commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 12:17pm

I got a massive amount of glassine envelopes at a Paper Source warehouse sale. I adore them. It’s great to know I’m not the only one who does!
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Playlist Wednesday: Elvis Perkins =-.

31. Georgianna Lane commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 12:32pm

Beautiful, classy and inspiring, Leslie! This combination makes me instantly happy and, as always, your styling and images are so clean and refreshing like no one else’s I know of. Your work has such a serene quality that is a pure joy to behold. So very glad to see you here again and sending thoughts and hugs to you and yours. We really appreciate you taking the time to do this. xo – g
    .-= Georgianna Lane´s last blog ..Dogwood Daydream =-.

32. Nix commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 1:10pm

What an inspiring place! If I wasn’t an Art Director, I would be a professional flower sniffer. Thanks for sharing, Holly!
    Some great tips for keeping your flower pickings longs this spring:

Buy Flowers In-Season
    Flowers grown in the right season tend to last twice as long as those grown out-of-season and under unfavorable conditions. Ask your florist about his/her seasonal varieties.

Buy Locally Grown Flowers
    Just like food, flowers begin to lose their potency, fragrance and beauty after traveling long distances. Find out what flowers are grown locally or in your region. These are the flowers that will seem like they were just picked straight from your garden, without the hassle of actually gardening.

Buy Natural Flowers
    Natural flowers are beautiful and fragrant just the way nature intended. Hybrids and genetically altered flowers are often less vibrant, less fragrant and have a significantly shorter lifespan.

Buy Flowers Built To Last
    There are flowers and arrangements specifically designed by nature and/or your florist that allows them to last a long time for your enjoyment.

Dried flowers, also known as “everlastings” preserve the beauty of the flower, often for as long as a year. Some of the best flowers for everlasting arrangements are:
    Roses
    Hydrangea
    Safari Sunset
    Protea
    Sunflowers

Happy picking!

33. Anne commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 1:41pm

I like the experimental ideas and the organization tips. I am gonna start using them as well. It would help me a lot.

34. alli/hooray commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:02pm

Very beautiful and inspiring! Love the idea for the scrap paper notebook.

35. hannah commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:29pm

so beautiful!! such a happy and clean look! thanks for the inspriation!! <3

36. Will commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Yummy colours going on here. Love the blooms!
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Summer Dining by Candlelight} =-.

37. Julie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 3:31pm

I love the pink in the pictures, did a bij flower painting myselve today :-) lovely spring!
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..New painting =-.

38. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 3:57pm

Ahhh….a breath of fresh air. This is such a gorgeous & fresh palette hun. I do love seeing the whole process of yours, seeing your inspiration(which is unbelievably beautiful) and your inspiration boards(you and Hadley Hutton belong together, like peanut butter & jelly! :) Your styling & props leave me breathless as usual…and I am completely inspired by you & this beautiful palette. Thank you dear Leslie, thank you! *sigh* Oh, and that is one lucky friend of yours….such a beautiful arrangement to give.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

39. Nuit commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 4:05pm

so beautiful!!!! thank u leslie!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Hurry Up and CLICK! =-.

40. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 4:21pm

Oh Leslie, what gorgeous colors! They really are fresh and happy — really made me smile! Thanks so much.

Love your glassine envelope idea, but I’m afraid I have waaay too many scraps, ha ha ha! I use a recycled wooden clementine box to hold mine — love digging through them.

IDEA! Why not make a card with a glassine envie and bits of paper? So pretty.
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..The List. =-.

41. julie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Thank you so much for your beautiful columns Leslie – they are always so full of love, colour and optimism. I hope it brightens your day as much as it brightens mine!
    .-= julie´s last blog ..soaking up the sun =-.

42. Tee commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 5:13pm

Those flower photos are GORGEOUS!!! Leslie, do you have a shop where your photos can be purchased?

.-= Tee´s last blog ..z =-.

43. anetteshus.com commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 5:15pm

Wow! Gorgeous photos! Looove the colors:)

Have a nice day!

xx
    Anette:)
    .-= anetteshus.com´s last blog ..OG VINNERNE ER … =-.

44. Hannah commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 5:53pm

Hi Leslie. What beautiful colours, coral is one of my all time favourite colours – but surprising hard to find in homewares so I’m always creating my own. I’ve been experimenting with spring colours too, blue and yellow, to brighten up the chilly autumn days here in New Zealand.
    I love the mason jars idea as well, so understated and pretty.
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..Spring colours for autumn days =-.

45. sharon commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 6:14pm

thanks for the loveliness!

46. ~Mattu~ commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 7:00pm

absolutely gorgeous!… i LOVE all your Anthropologie stuff… in fact even I have the green mug! It’s absolutely delicious to drink water out of it… i see you had flowers in it :)
    .-= ~Mattu~´s last blog ..Eye catching! =-.

47. Diana commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 7:16pm

Fantastic guest post, what lovely inspiration to have stumbled upon :)
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..The Well-Dressed Home… Chapter 1 =-.

48. Valerie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 7:18pm

Beautiful photos. That first one is especially amazing – it looks like the ruffles of a dress instead of a flower. Thanks for the inspiration.
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..Chick flicks: Marrying the wrong person =-.

49. Sarah commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 7:58pm

Hello Leslie! such a stunning combination of colors and patterns…you really have such a great eye…its what makes your photos so beautiful to look at. I love putting my own little studio together and snapping pix with all the tips you taught us in the BYW class. Hope you are doing well…x
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Jonathan Adler revisited… =-.

50. Jessica commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:03pm

Um, a ranunculus farm?! Stunning! (note to self, become a ranunculus farmer.)

Love the colors in this post! I have the chickadee print from MincingMockingbird in a group with 3 others, those prints are BEAUTIFUL and so affordable! Hilarious titles, as well. Can’t beat beautiful, humorous art! Thanks for the inspiration today!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..ah,spring! =-.

51. jacqueline commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:45pm

Such gorgeous eye candies! Ranunculus is one of my favorite flowers! I adore the organization tips! Will try them out! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!
    .-= jacqueline´s last blog ..the things we do =-.

52. sunnydays photography commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:12pm

gorgeous inspiration! gorgeous pictures! you make me really want to go clean off my desk this second and buy some fresh flowers.
    .-= sunnydays photography´s last blog ..manti at sunset =-.

53. Naomi commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:45pm

I love Ranunculus…such a beautiful flower and the coral color is gorgeous!
    .-= Naomi´s last blog ..Hair Accessories – For Brides With Short Hair =-.

54. wini commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:47pm

These images are absolutely beautiful! I love the colours and compositions. I also adore the pretty paper and bowls. Your images make me feel so happy and joyful. Thank you SO much!!!

55. Katie commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:54pm

I absolutely ADORE every color in this post. Those flowers are lovely; ranunculus are my favorites. I will also be making my own color swatch journal immediately. Thanks for the inspiration!

56. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:16pm

Lovely colours! Very elegant and fun.
    .-= Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog ..Lovely Las Vegas: Happy Earth Day! =-.

57. Beth commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:33pm

A fabulous post…what a great idea about all the beautiful scrap papers kept in the journal with glassine envelopes! Love the flowers! Thanks for sharing. xoxo Beth
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..9 by Design…Sixx Design…NYC! I’m in love! =-.

58. Jacki commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:45pm

What a stunning post!
    I love those flowers so much!
    .-= Jacki´s last blog ..Book Review: Me Talk Pretty One Day =-.

59. Minnie commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 12:27am

Wow! What gorgeous photographs and lovely arrangements, as usual. I am just feeling so inspired by all this loveliness. I so appreciate your ideas and tips on ways to incorporate color into our decor and ideas for styling.

Ranunculus were the predominant flowers in my wedding floral arrangements so I have a definite soft spot for them. Also, I have a jumbo cork board in my home office and always regret putting little holes in some of the papers/artwork I hung up. Now, I never have to do that again.

Thanks for another great post that I’m sure to come back to again. :-)
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Literary pleasures: a feast for the soul =-.

60. Caitlin commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 12:41am

Absolutely amazing! Those photos at the flower fields are incredible… And I love what you did with the colour palette.

61. Iva commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 2:13am

Leslie never fails to amaze me! This is all so pretty (and also has some great tips for organizing). I have always wanted to see what her home looks like, especially when it comes to organizing because with all of these beautiful scraps and stuff I am sure she has some great ideas :)
    .-= Iva´s last blog ..Life and some news =-.

62. Mowie @ Mowielicious commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 3:12am

I *heart* the pictures of the ranunculus farm – how gorgeous! What a beautiful and inspiring post, thanks for all the beauty you are putting out into the world Leslie xxx
    .-= Mowie @ Mowielicious´s last blog ..One Year Bloggerversary, Chocolate Salted Cupcakes & A Wedding Photography Request =-.

63. lady a. commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 6:38am

Wonderful flowers. This coral shade is one of the most beautiful colours. And these little bowls are lovely too.

64. Jules commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:05am

OMG. DELICIOUS. Jx

65. Silviasaint commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:25am

66. Charlotta commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:58am

Leslie – this is a lovely post and so full of colour energy!
    I feel all energized having read it!

The flowers (your shots, right!?) are amazing and so are the other ideas and links you share.

Thanks.

x Charlotta
    .-= Charlotta´s last blog ..Thank you Marija! xx =-.

67. Joanne commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:45am

Coral is one of my favourite colours and it blends beautifully with the different shades of green. Your pictures are amazing and very inspirational.

68. annemk commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 11:50am

your ideas are all so wonderful!
    ?anne

69. Brigitte commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 2:33pm

Ranunculus are my favorite flowers. This entire column is brimming with so much lovely that I’ve been back to look at it twice.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Housekeeping =-.

70. Tara commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 3:57pm

I love ranunculus! They are my absolute favorite flower… I wish there was a farm near me!
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..heaven in the form of an armchair =-.

71. Miss Wedding commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 4:39pm

Oh Leslie! Its been a while since the BYW course and its so good to see your work again. Your photos, the way you photograph flowers in particular and the styling is always so beautiful – its a very unique style. Its inspired me to get my camera out again I’ve been busy of late, but that is no excuse!
    .-= Miss Wedding´s last blog ..Post Wedding Shoots with Neil Hanson =-.

72. Camila commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:22pm

The bowls with red pattern and green rims. Where are they from? I gotta know! Hugs!

73. Victoria@Whimsy by Victoria commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 10:58pm

These pictures and colors are breathtaking beautiful!! I love all of them! Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
    Victoria

74. Punctuation Mark commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 10:58pm

love the photos… yesterday i posted some photos with the same bowls from Anthropologie… have a nice one!
    .-= Punctuation Mark´s last blog ..Shopping Around =-.

75. Merissa commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 12:42am

What a beautiful sight! I wish that we had a ranunculus farm here on Oahu, you are very lucky. It must’ve been so refreshing to take in all that beauty while at that farm…ahhhh. The photos take me on a mini vacay. And I love, love how you always incorporate papergoods into your stories! Yay! I always enjoy and feel so inspired by Color Me Pretty! Thanks so much Leslie and Holly!
    xo, Merissa.
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..: Happy Earth Day 2010 : =-.

76. katerina commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 1:45am

stunning pictures as always! well done Leslie

77. katerina commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 1:46am

stunning pictures as always! well done Leslie!!

78. Hayley Blease commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 3:37am

beautiful! I am love your styling, and all the elements you use in your photographs. you never stop being an inspiration….. x

79. Vicki commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 3:55am

Thank you for such a pretty and inspiring post Lesley – as always! Ranunculus are my favourite favourite flowers – when i was a little girl, my Dad planted an entire bed of them every year for me and whenever i see them in the spring i’m reminded how lucky i was to have had such a thoughtful man as a Dad.
    .-= Vicki´s last blog ..Ice Cream Day Dreams =-.

80. Sarah commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 9:14am

absolutely gorgeous post and photos. I love visiting your blog for inspiration and glad you are doing better. i love colorful gardens and the outdoors, so this post is a favorite!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Etsy Friday Favorite =-.

81. AshleyAnn commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 11:04pm

That is funny…I posted a similar project as you jar project on the same day. I used a hairpin instead of a clothespin!
    .-= AshleyAnn´s last blog ..A girl needs her dog =-.

82. Hilary commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 11:07pm

Those pinky pinks are oh so charming!
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Treasures from India =-.

83. Diane commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 11:43pm

Lovely post. The Ranunculus farm looks amazing. Love your idea with the glassine envelopes. Very inspiring and thank you!

84. julia commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 4:56pm

Leslie I have one question for you – how are those cork boards mounted on your walls? adhesive squares? frame-like mounting?

I want to do start my inspiration board and I love the thick cork board from the container store but I’m not sure of the best way to make sure it stays on the wall.

Thanks!
    .-= julia´s last blog ..mine =-.

85. crt commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 1:28pm

LOVE these colors! Coral reminds me of a special event I attended 5 years ago. And now I am inspired to hit the Container Store this week… THANK YOU!

86. elyse commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 8:49pm

clean and lovely photos + inspiring ideas = wonderful post

xo
    elyse

87. Andrea commented
    May 8th, 2010 at 2:13am

So bright and colorful and creative and inspiring and… I’m definitely book-marking this post! Thank you for all of the pretty photos/flowers/ideas – they’re yummy <3